[Religion and Revolution]: Mod Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
@team:

I have uploaded base version of Rebuild Breeding Horses to SVN.
It is working, but we should teach AI to handle this feature a little bit better. :)

Would be great, if somebody could verify basic functionality
(To make sure, that I did not forget to upload anything.)

@Androrc:

You did great coding here. :goodjob:

I will discuss the rest in the Thread Horses "produced" on Plot instead of in Building.

Another concept:

Game Option "Variing Spawn Positions for Waves of Royal Fleet"

Currently in TAC (and Vanilla) the Spawn Position of Royal Fleet at War of Independence is very predictable.
Thus it is relatively easy to destroy huge parts of the Royal Fleet, before it can land the troops.

--------------

I would like to change that:

A) Every wave of the Royal Fleet will randomly be spawned somewhere else.
-> Variance between North / South but even East / West
(Europe Travel Fields only of course)

B) Royal ships will drop the troops on the closest landmass with cities of the colony.

C) Implemented as Game Option.
(Activated by default.)

D) Eventually by using a "Variance Formula",
meaning that "the further away from a colony, the less likely the place is as spawning position" to not make it too chaotic.
(But there would still be some surprises.)

--------------

Expected Result:
War of Independence will get more challenging.

--------------

Feedback ? :)

I like the idea. Actually, we must distinguish player's starting position (on an ocean plot) and player's first colony location...

I forgot to tell... I've posted an update on the SVN site. I've fixed a few French texts. I've also added "Current Era" info as part of the no variables hidden option:

Spoiler :

But mostly I've added two new native buildings (Totem Pole and Sacrificial altar)

Could you check? For now Aztecs, Incas, and Mayas have a Sacrificial Altar and all the other natives have a totem pole instead of a warehouse...
Maybe we could find a third type (I mean I don't think Inuits had totem poles) :mischief:. Feedback?

For now, it costs 30 hammers (same cost as a Warehouse) and gives a +1 hammer bonus and +500 storage (instead of 800)

Could you check? For now Aztecs, Incas, and Mayas have a Sacrificial Altar and all the other natives have a totem pole instead of a warehouse...

You replaced the "Chickee" ? :(
(It is the Native variant of warehouse / customhouse --> same slot in City Screen.)

I think it would be better to use another SpecialBuilding.
(You could replace the "Church" with Totem Pole and Sacrificial Altar instead. :) )

Edit:

I cannot find anything about Totem Pole or Sacrificial Altar in SVN. :dunno:
(No graphics, nothing in XML ...)

So is everyone ok with the "Current Era" text?

Could we have only "Era" instead of "Current Era" ?
I think it is clear that it is the "Current" and shorter would look a little bit better. :)

Era: Discovery

looks better to me than:

Current Era: Discovery

Otherwise I am fine with it. :thumbsup:

OK!
I've fixed it, and I've added the new buildings (they replace a church)!

Ok, I checked it.
Generally it looks good. :goodjob:

The only "small" thing that might be corrected:
Totem Pole and Sacrificial Altar use graphics of Warehouse in CityScreen.
Yes ok, we don't have playable Natives, so usually nobody will see that. :dunno:

Oh yes, I forgot... :eek:
But I actually don't have any graphics for the city screen. I'll try to find one...

Natives don't seem to be able to rush production? Is that normal?
And I've also realized that natives don't need horses anymore to build a pasture... Did we change this?

Edit:
@ Androrc: Your DLL template works perfectly. I don't know how to thank you! :thumbsup:
Currently I'm working on translations and a native screen.
Native Buildings feature is not completed, but I'm waiting for some feedback...
I've managed to show a list native cities (if we've met)... I would like to display some info (some of it would be part of the no variables hidden option, and some of it could be displayed in every game)...

Natives don't seem to be able to rush production? Is that normal?

To my knowledge, Natives can not rush production.

And I've also realized that natives don't need horses anymore to build a pasture... Did we change this?

Yes, I have changed that because of "Rebuild Horses".
Stored horses are needed anyways to produce new horses.

If natives would spend horses to build "Native pasture", they would have even bigger problems to get enough to actually use them for producing horses.

With the old system, the horses needed for "Native pasture" did prevent that Natives to produce horses before having acquired from Europeans.
(This is already given by percentual breeding.)

Hi,

Is there any feedback on the Native buildings?
1) Should we add another type?
2) Should we change building cost (e.g. tools required)?
3) Should we add more buildings (small totem pole/ standard totem pole/ large totem pole)?
4) I've also realized that native chickee can't be built by natives that don't have the specific trait. Should we change this?

Also, I can do a native screen. For now the easiest would be to do a tabular...So I could add a tab in Domestic Advisor screen. What do you think?
Should I only display it with the no variables hidden option, or should I only change what is displayed? (e.g. without option we would get city name, and AI desired good, and mission: yes/no. With the option we would see how many missionary piints we have and how many are needed)

1) Should we add another type?

No, I don't think that is necessary.
It is ok, as it its.

2) Should we change building cost (e.g. tools required)?

Please don't.
It would feel very unrealistic and Natives are currently not interested in acquiring tools.

3) Should we add more buildings (small totem pole/ standard totem pole/ large totem pole)?

Please don't.
This would be too much and not feel right for me.

4) I've also realized that native chickee can't be built by natives that don't have the specific trait. Should we change this?

Also, please do not change that.
There were some thoughts behind the traits.
It would also feel historically incorrect.

Also, I can do a native screen. For now the easiest would be to do a tabular...So I could add a tab in Domestic Advisor screen. What do you think?
Should I only display it with the no variables hidden option, or should I only change what is displayed? (e.g. without option we would get city name, and AI desired good, and mission: yes/no. With the option we would see how many missionary points we have and how many are needed)

I would prefer this solution:

Basic Infos always visible: Village Name, desired goods, mission (yes, no)
With "no variables hidden": Missionary Points acquired and needed

Great !

If you like it as it is, I'm happy too! I was just checking! :)

I would prefer this solution:

Basic Infos always visible: Village Name, desired goods mission (yes, no)
With "no variables hidden": Missionary Points acquired and needed
Wonderful! :goodjob:
But, part of my question was: should I do a tabular in Domestic advisor screen, or should I try to do something more complicated, with graphics etc... ?

But, part of my question was: should I do a tabular in Domestic advisor screen, or should I try to do something more complicated, with graphics etc... ?

A "simple" Tab in Domestic advisor screen is probably the best solution. :thumbsup:
(I don't see that we would need something more complicated.)

It might make the game more fun and challenging, not knowing where the Royal Fleet is going to turn up, but if they have captured a coastal city, wouldn't it make more sense for them to arrive there en masse? I could go either way on this feature.

I am ambivalent as well. I agree with colonialfan that they would probably martial and refresh at their own captured ports first before launching a new coastal sortie against new targets.

On a related topic. I believe the REF has a bias to work through the rebel colony in the order the settlements were created. I was surprised one game where the REF left a small close settlement of mine alone for quite a while and instead headed off on a long inland trek to the second colony I created. Are you aware if this happens in TAC, and if so can we do anything to change it?

On a related topic. I believe the REF has a bias to work through the rebel colony in the order the settlements were created. I was surprised one game where the REF left a small close settlement of mine alone for quite a while and instead headed off on a long inland trek to the second colony I created. Are you aware if this happens in TAC, and if so can we do anything to change it?

I don't know about that behaviour in Vanilla. :dunno:
I would need to check the code.
(Which I would do anyways if we are going to improve / change here.)

But until now, TAC did not change anything there.

Good points. :thumbsup:
(I adjusted the concept.)

Just as reminder:
We will have the "New Waving of Royal Fleet", which is currently implemented at TAC.
(Waves will be much stronger than currently and also increase in strength over time.)

This would be additionally to that:

--------------

Game Option "Variing Spawn Positions for Waves of Royal Fleet"
(Part A of my Improving War Of Independence Concepts.)

A) If King does not have captured a coastal city, every wave of the Royal Fleet will randomly be spawned somewhere else, thus increasing chances to break through at a less protected coast.
Eventually by using a "Variance Formula", meaning that "the further away from a colony, the less likely the place is as spawning position" to not make it too chaotic.
Royal ships will drop the troops on the closest landmass with cities of the colony.

See here for details.

B) If a colonial city has been captured, this will change. Waves of Royal Fleet will spawn at "Europe Travel Fields" close to that to strengthen the forces there.

C) Implemented as Game Option.
(Activated by default.)

--------------

Game Option "Loyalty to the King"
(Part B of my Improving War Of Independence Concepts.
It is a modified version of one of my many old concepts I had published quite a while a go in an old project here.
colonialfan has mentioned something similar here.)

During War of Independence:

A) Every round Cities having "Revolutionary_Rate_City" < X% have a certain chance of turning to the King (or staying loyal to the King).

Chance_City_Turning_To_King = (100% - Revolutionary_Rate_City) / Y + Number_of_Cities_of_King * Z - Relation_Troops_Stationed_to_Citizens_In_City * 100

(X,Y and Z will be configurable in XML. Maybe Civ4HandicapInfos.xml)

B) Every round, single troops (not stationed in city and not stacked) have a certain chance of turning to the King (or staying loyal to the King)

Chance_City_Turning_To_King = (100% - Revolutionary_Rate_Nation) / W

(W will be configurable in XML. Maybe Civ4HandicapInfos.xml)

C) Same rules for AI and Human.
AI will declare Independence at higher Revolutionary_Rate than currently.

D) If a city turns over to King, all troops stationed there, will do the same.

E) Also implemented as Game Option.

Summary:

The feature will calculate every round during War of Independence.
If your cities have higher revolutionary rate than X, they are save from this feature.
If your cities have many troops stationed (compared to citizens), the chances of turning over are lower (actually they are 0 with enought troops stationed).
If your king is capturing cities, the chances of further cities turning over to him, will increase.
By destroying your troops stationed in a city, the King will increase chances of that city turning over.
There is also a chance, that some of your troops (not in city and not stacked) will turn over to the King

Have high "Revolutionary Rates" in your cities, protect your cities with troops and be victorious. :)

--------------

Expected Result:
War of Independence will get more challenging.

--------------

Feedback ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom