Absolution 4: Tabula Rasa

Update Soundtrack: Cake's Comanche

-

The Trader Murphan was a man of Persia but not a follower of Zorro. It was for that reason that he long ago struck out with the caravans as they wandered further and further East. Now he stood at the banks of a sea wider and grander than Caspian, the greatest body of water he had ever seen.

"What do you people call it?" Murphan asked the native traders of Shang and they would draw elaborate cartography and whisper that it means "The Great Peaceful River." But the language that they write is not the language of the dragon and although both languages are logographic the writing of Shang resembles that of the South in no way, Murphan speaks fluently in the tongue of the Dragon and to his eyes everything about these characters is wrong.

But "The Great Peaceful River" stretches out before him and behind him the traders of Laozai prepared the rice and gems of their land and send them out for foreign wealth and Furs, the Black Teas of the Heavenly Dragon continue to sell well and many of those behind him enjoy their warm cups.

Murphan came into the city through the farms to the West, there were many stories there about the renewed threats from the North. Barbarians had raided several of the farms, and a delegation of Farmers had come to beseech the King. These barbarians consistently evade the patrols and the only solution, they say, is to send troops to the North and submit the Manchurian warlords to the hard Bronze of Shang.

As a gift to the Emperor, in hopes that he would listen to their appeals the farmers closely guarded a cask of "Shang Brandy" which they claimed might fit right in a stall in the Artisan's plaza or even to be sent for trade. The farmers, he claimed, had been working steadfast on a Shang response to the Korean Rice Wine and with the Brandy they finally think that they have managed it.

That was the division of Shang as he saw it, urban and rural, which was odd to him since in Parsgadae the divisions had been more a nature of priests and non-priests, with a clear hierarchy and all manner of importance lain upon the priests. In Shang the division was less of hierarchy and more of style. Writing, for instance, was quickly developing into the most fashionable study in Laozai with every merchant working day and night on their calligraphy and when not doing that they were playing card games against one another and betting huge sums outside the Artisan's Plaza at a place many are coming to call "The Last Penny Den." The country folk on the other hand simply work quietly and worship.

There was not much talk of faith in Laozai itself, much philosophy, more rhetoric, and always a way to make a few extra coins, but never is there talk of the supernatural or mystical. In the countryside though, especially near the Heavenly Dragon's Soo Harbor, a brand of Zorroism has risen that claims all ties severed with Persia. Based on the work of the Prophet Xerxes, a high member of the priest caste who Murphan never had the opportunity to meet as Xerxes had been exiled to the East long before Murphan was born.

But Xerxes fused Zorroistic Theology with the pragmatic mysticism of Dragon Worship and the quiet insights of Laozai philosophy.

Although Zorro remains a prominent model hero in the faith the Eastern Branch is explicitly atheistic, scorning the Western Branch's acceptance of Saturan Gods. The Eastern Zorroists have also rejected the sacrament of self flagellation so popular in the West. Many of the more philosophical points were refined with Urban Shang philosophy but the faith has not ever caught on in Laozai, the only real city to speak of in the whole kingdom.

Which raised interesting points that Murphan had needed to resolve with the farmers he had travelled with. If the Kings do not accept the faith of the farms, will not defend the farms from barbarians, and yet remain completely dependent on the farms to feed the cities then why do the farmers permit the Kings to rule them?

It was then that Murphan first heard the legends of the Farming Clans, their rise and fall, "That is why the plots are so small, so independent from one another now. When their leaders vanished and the farming clans fell they took a whole way of life with them, Xerxes' faith filled that void."

(Kingdom of Shang: +Writing, +1 Social Cohesion, +Trade Good (Shang Brandy), +2 Reputation)

Murphan regretted his newfound interest in the societies and their segments he visited as soon as he reached Soo. He had expected to investigate the differences between the "Empire of Junjan," and the "Wild Lands," because stories of either hold great currency among traders who often spoke of such things, shocked as to the profound difference.

Murphan had heard all the stories, and he knew the ways to tell where one was in the Empire of Junjan. Between the Mie River and the Xi River, wherever one could find a Traveler's Inn to rest the night. The Wild Lands were equally simple to identify. Find the nearest large group of humans and ask yourself "is this a military encampment of spearmen" or "is this a large and drunk group of hunters from the poorly integrated local tribes?"

In either case you are in the Wild Lands and traders have learned to avoid either group. The paranoid soldiers of the Heavenly Dragon often attack first, under the assumption that men with large packages are rebels, and the hunters never need an excuse to raid a merchant convoy. Their leaders may have sworn allegiance, but from the stories their habits hadn't changed much.

But Soo was well within the Empire of Junjan. Although he had learned the customs of the Dragon and the speech Murphan had never been to the Empire and leaving Shang Murphan did not expect such a large city on the border of the nations. But the size was one thing and the people were another. Dragon-speak was not the only language that floated through the streets people spoke loudly also in Persian and the language of Shang, the people of the city seemed to speak all three tongues effortlessly. Even the guards who patrolled, and of whom there were many, seemed to speak all three languages and regard themselves, "Dragon Blessed," to have been granted the opportunity to defend the city. The missionaries have been relentless and it has paid off. Eastern Zorroism, it seems, adds another soldier with each passing day.

Foreigners abounded in Soo, and Murphan spent a significant amount of time dealing wares from home to Persian exiles, the core priests who now defend and manage the once-home of Xerxes as a temple to his faith. They often speak in Persian, but then shift effortlessly to the native language or to Shang.

The faith of Xerxes is strong in Soo for that reason, although it has few actual adherents in the Empire where it was born. "Eastern Zorroism," as some put it, "Is a faith for Shang peasants and Persian exiles." But in Soo there are many of both and even converted soldiers of the Dragon's army have been known to visit Xerxes old home.

But the more interesting problem to Murphan, who hadn't ever had a single real conviction about Zorro, was that this put the priests back in Persia in a very precarious position. The split between the two schools can be demonstrated most clearly in the Holy Books. The Lore of the Golden Sun follows the Akten and Aset origin story closely, but expands on the end with additions describing the forming of Zorro and Zorro's battles to enlighten men against the dangers of Aset, the greatest symbol of worldly corruption. The Lore of the Golden Sun is written in the phonetic alphabet of Saturnese and follows the official doctrine of the temple exactly.

The Testament of Xerxes, on the other hand, defies every compromise made in Parsgadae in favor of teachings of the Dragon's Puzzle and parables of Laozai alongside a much more conceptual description of the nature or traits of Zorro, known in Eastern Zorroism as his "Dragon Blessings," but has the unique advantage of being written in a language that Persians can actually read, as their own writing is based upon the Dragon's Marks.

As a result Soo adds more exiles with each passing season.

When Murphan did finally leave Soo it was to the great regret of those Persians, but he was bound to see Junjan and, perhaps sell a few casks of Shang Brandy he had picked up.

Murphan travelled the roads and stayed at the inns, marveling at how well each was maintained, the high quality of the food, the frequent offers of Korean Rice Wine, the land here was rich and delicate, well tended. All the rumors he had heard of the Empire of Junjan fell short of the true majesty, even in the country he never felt too far separated from the urban splendor of Soo.

Until he reached Junjan, the City on the Lake, a place to dwarf Soo.

Soon after arriving Murphan witnessed an execution. The man was bare-chested for the event and on his chest was a Brand of a Horse to mark him as one of the Khan's own "Stallions," the Secret police of the Khanate.

When asked for his last words the Agent replied, "The Khan will send others until you stop interfering with his affairs." This referred, according to the hubbub in the streets to the new addition of Warlords and attempts to curry favor with barbarians near the Khan's hold, "I have taught the Warlords of the Wild Lands how to contact the Khan and he will hear their cries"

The man had brought about a great deal of trouble there. Without any buildings or structures the loyal subjects of the Dragon refuse to leave the Empire of Junjan for the Wild Lands and without any new social structure the Wild Peoples continue to live their lives in the fashion of their ancestors. The Khan's man was captured during an attempted raid on a Spearman camp, many of the Wild People he recruited did not receive the luxury of a trial, but it was soon apparent that if he had been left in the Wild Lands he would only have caused more trouble.

Terrified of the actual Wild Lands Murphan chose to leave Junjan by the North and follow the well defended paths to Persia where he might sell some of the teas, shells and jewels he had collected from the East. Along the way they arrived at Bia Xi's Hold, a massive valley developed with a single purpose, to forge metals for the Dragon's army. More spearmen were added and sent west, to the wild lands, to subject yet more Warlords and to keep an eye on them.

The Emperor is told that his people cry out for the exotic comforts of Shang Brandy.

(Empire of the Heavenly Dragon: +Masonic Code, +Ballistics, +Cartography (2/3), +Forge, +2 Spearmen, +2 Horsemen, -1 Social Cohesion, +Trade Good (Red Spices), +5 Reputation)

The Caravaneer Ich was a man of Tatui and he had set that little town behind him as soon as he could crawl away. He craved the big cities, the excitement. He longed to see Zull, Stone's Outpost, Waset, Napata, Ur and perhaps even follow the distant rumors of Paranaa.

But the desert is long, and food must be secured, winds whipped across the lands and the convoy was distracted time and time again, always turned back, finding itself in Tatui and trying to trade sand for rations again, or trying to book passage to Iberios so that they could "at least sell something to someone."

So Ich travelled to Iberios on the first rafts across the straits with the merchants who were training him, albeit not well. On the raft convoy, with many ships lashed together loosely, the merchants discovered that a group of Undershamans from Zull had also booked passage at the first clear skies, and that since those clear skies were not anticipated to last long the whole convoy moved at once.

Ich was often sick on the raft, which made him glad the rafts were separated from one another allowing him to vomit off the side. When he commented to that effect the oarsman laughed, "We do that so that when they go down," he points towards the oarsmen and rafts around them, "We don't have to."

Arriving in Iberios the merchants and undershamans alike gathered before King Floof as was the custom and they gave him gifts, similarly dictated by custom. The Undershamans of Zulappi offered the "Words of the Stone." The first and foremost (only existing) book on the Zulappi religion of the Stones.

When it came the time for the Merchants to make their gifts the head merchant only offered assorted desert shrubs, a large pile of (now wet) sand, and a broken urn quarter filled with Pickled Grouper.

King Floof was somewhat disappointed. The creases on his face said everything before the lips even started to part and in that moment Ich reached into his own private bags and threw himself in front of his master, holding it above his head.

"Forgive my master your highness, he did not mean to offend he is just ill prepared."

King Floof examined the boy, hardly beyond his tenth year, "An ill prepared merchant has nothing to offer my city if he cannot even make a proper gift for the King. What is it that you hold there?"

"Scorpions, Lord. There are many rumors of your Agents and Shadows, that there are certain scorpions that they value highly. I offer to you my collection."

"Who told you these rumors, child?"

Ich gestured behind him, "They did."

To which the King of Iberios let loose a hearty laugh, "And yet you were the only one collecting scorpions. Ahhh, at least one of you is a decent merchant. The Undershamans shall be permitted to stay in my city as long as they please, these caravaneers shall be banished to the North. The boy may stay and ply his wares."

The leader of the Caravan let the rage burn his face "Exiled to the North!"

The King nodded and stood up off of his throne, "Yes. I think you shall fit in there. The men of the North are every manner of moron. If you wish to remain in Iberios you must provide a gift. For you though, I offer a deal," and Floof walked out to the greater part of the chamber, right up to Ich, still holding his urn of scorpions aloft, "If you lack the skills as a merchant to offer more than your leftovers and your sand, I will settle for a favor."

Plucking the urn out of the boys hand and swiping the top off with one smooth motion he presented it to the Caravaneer, "Reach in."

Without Ich, the caravan fled to the North and were never heard from again.

"You have promise boy, you are a good merchant. I believe that I may have some work for you," and so the Undershamans and the King, "I wish to show you all something. I made a promise, you see, and I always fulfill my promises. And for you, lad, I think you should know something of my real power. Why I walk so freely in my throne room and fear no attack from any angle."

In the streets below the Palace balcony a great parade was swelling in the streets, chanting the name of King Floof and wishing his dynasty an eternal ascent.

The King smiled, "Perhaps you undershamans remember a time when a man was satisfied with bread in his belly and a goat in the pasture, but in the present day they require more."

"It sure seems like you do a good job keeping them happy," noted Ich, staring at the huge crowds below him.

King Floof laughed again, "Yes, and as long as it seems that way my rivals and enemies are frightened of my popularity. But," he leaned down to whisper to the boy as though it were a secret, he spoke just loud enough for the undershamans to hear, but the boy did not notice, "The men who organized this so called spontaneous parade, the people who keep spreading bread to the hungry in secret and whispering in every ear about the fantastic nobility of King Floof, those men are the Agents who will appreciate," the King showed the urn to the boy but did not relinquish his hold of it, "your little collection."

"And you, Undershamans of Zulappi, my Druids very much wish to speak with you and they think it very rude that I have detained you for so long, but I felt you should see this as well. I made a promise that when you arrived that I would teach you my ways of subtlety and deception. Perhaps the messenger was lost at sea, but I see that you have not been. And so I shall make good on my vows. I do not show you this power that I might intimidate you. I say, behold, for as you have given me a gift of your wisdom so I shall repay in kind."

Ich, however, still longed to visit Zull. He was quite sure that the journey had lasted much too long at this point. It got very detailed, a little personal, but in the end he simply accepted a place in the King's Experimental Galley program under the single circular sail and above the improperly tuned rudder of "The seeker"

But Ich survived the shipwreck and finally made his way to Zull trying to satisfy himself that at least his journey into Iberios had been "Zull related."

When he arrived in Zull he was a little shocked by the vast buildings that were testament in themselves to the strength of the stone, where people spent hours of each day in worship, huge masses in perfect harmony. Writing had taken hold like wildfire and Guilds arose, Scribe Guilds, Smithing Guilds, Hunters Guilds and even a "Chamberpot Bearer" guild. This did much to calm the people. It wasn't as flashy as the Iberion methods, but it was much more efficient. And the people of Zull prided themselves on efficiency.

In fact, there are few complaints to be found these days.

The civilian inhabitants of Stone's Outpost are beginning to express a desire for the Shaman to help them build some real buildings there, like a library or a farm or something, just to give the kids something to do. This message was signed "Families of the Spearmen of Zulappi."

And the new refugees from the Land of the Sun where Zorrkanism has been declared the State Faith and heretics, such as Stone Worshippers, are exiled or worse. They have gathered and encamped near the Dead Sea and pray that the Zulappi will show them mercy.

(Zulappi: +Writing, +Guilds, +Subterfuge, +2 Social Cohesion, +3 Reputation)

Despite the rumors of revolt and upheaval in the south Ich felt compelled to at least visit Waset as he fancied himself a connoseuir of urban life at that point having visited both Cartagena and Zull, and even Stone's Outpost.

He felt in necessary, at the very least, to visit the Oracle of the Farseer, where the knowledge of traders was written down and compiled, Oracles who studied their transcripts are said to understand technological mysteries from the slightest description. But they have had another vision from the scrolls. They believe that there is a large and powerful army, far to the East under the rule of a Khan, and that they worship Zorrkanism.

But the revolts and persecutions were all well over when Ich arrived in Waset, the openly heretical revolutionaries were all been slain or fled to Sudan. Sudan, it seems, is now a haven for Stone Worshippers and the unreformed Aktenists who run Sudan are more than willing to accept more Stone Worshippers or other Aktenists who flee the Orangesmith.

Self flagellation has become one of the most prominent features of the new faith, sometimes he had heard about it back in Zull when he told someone he wished to visit Waset.

"I mean, mate," the Zulappan had replied, "The Saturans used to be crazy, now they go around beating themselves with these whips from Persia."

The development of a Saturnese written language was a great crowning accomplishment on the ascendance of Aureas the Orangesmith, who ended the shortlived revolts of Stone Worshippers and Aktenists, drove many of them into Sudan. This also allowed the Saturans to construct a court and finally settle so many of these troubling issues about national direction. The beurocracy had things in hand now.

A problem arose with the Pickled Grouper, although the Orangesmith's pantry is full of the stuff and the national warehouses are brimming with the stuff the merchants are having a terrible time finding anyone to eat the stuff. It tastes terrible, and many citizens report being sick after eating it.

Apparently the "mingle with the locals" philosophy of Generals in the Serengeti has lead to the death of over a dozen soldiers at the hands of the local prostitutes. Some instances of food poisoning were also reported from supplies purchased from local vendors.

Dwindling supplies of Zulappi Beer might prevent Drunken Hare from continuing production after the current trade contract is fulfilled.

In religion, though, there were successes. The Land of the Sun has been overtaken by Zorrkanist fanatics drawn from the ranks of both the Aktenists and the Zorroists who had lived in that land and who were disgusted by the presence of nonbelievers in the Land of the Sun. The Temple to the Stones in Ur has been burned and desecrated as well as a stone building can be and refugee Stone worshippers flee to the City of Peace or to Zulappi.

Few flee to Persia, where the new faith has splintered much of the population, with daily trials for heresy and the option of exile provided to those who refuse to accept the new faith. But that, at least they argue, is more humane and then one is simply sent on the long journey to Soo where there are no concerns of heresy.

When Aureas visits his Oracles they examine their papers and tell him, "The Gods say, 'Your Move'."

(Satura: +Economic Expansion (2), +Ballistics, +Oracle of the Farseer, +1 Courthouse, +Trade Good (Jewelry), +3 Social Cohesion, +5 Reputation)

-

Religions of the World

Religions are a story level element to this game. They aren't listed in the stats, if you want to really find out about the religions the only way to do it is to read the posts and updates in which they are mentioned. If you haven't been paying attention I do not blame you but I would like to offer a brief rundown of the four most popular religions listed in no particular order.

The Faith of the Stones: Naturalistic religion with a Holy Site and Temple in Zull, Defiled Temple in Ur. Holy Book: Words of Stone
Popular in: Zulappi, Iberios, Tatui, The City of Peace, Sudan

Dragon Worship: Philosophical religion with a Temple in Paranaa. Tied to Tablets of Dragon Wisdom, no formal Holy Book
Popular in: Paranaa, Empire of the Heavenly Dragon, Korea, Kitanato

Zorrkanism: Theistic religion with various Holy Sites in Parsgadae and Waset. Holy Book is Lore of the Golden Sun
Popular in: Satura, Persia, Land of the Sun, The Khanate

Eastern Zorroism: Philosophical religion with a Holy Site in Soo. Holy Book is the Testament of Xerxes
Popular in: Soo, Shang, Persia (illegal)

-

Diplomacy

To: Shang

It has come to our attention that many of your peasants worship this so called "Eastern Zorroism." We do not have a problem with that but would like to arrange an agreement to send our own heretics to live among your heretics.

To: Empire of the Heavenly Dragon

Mind your own business.

To: Zulappi

Can we abide the persecution of our fellow Stone Worshippers?

To: Satura

I have purged this land in the name of the faithful, but I require financial assistance in order to maintain proper defenses against the Stone Worshippers should they retaliate.

-

Mappa the Mappa?

Spoiler :

Can anyone see those cities? I might experiment some with the way I illustrate them.

Hey,

OOC

I had a Reputation: 25 before this turn. Missed +5 in stats.

Fixed

No I can't see the cities. :(

Yeah, the map is a lot bigger in paint... but I still bet you could make out some Zulappi cities. You are a much lighter color so I'm going to reverse the city color scheme for you.

Does 6(-1) mean your taking out my unit payment before spending total?

Ouch, no, it means corruption, but now that you mention it I am supposed to...

You gained 2 Social Cohesion last turn. And then The Khan came and messed everything up and dropped it by 3. But you caught the bastard who did it.

One last thing. Did I loose troops in fighting? :confused:

No, the Warlords surrendered for the most part and only made halfhearted raids afterwards (under the direction of an Agent from the Khanate) that were easily repelled.

-

EDIT: I've made some changes to rules for forges and some unit costs.

Hey,

To: King Sampre of Paranaa

I feel it is time to offer you a place in the Dragon Empire. My flower of a daughter Huifang has offered her hand in marrage in return for your sworn loyality to me.

I offer as a dowry all the Dragon Wisdom, wealth and military of the Empire and a new Grand Temple of the Heavenly Dragon to be built in Paranaa.

VsP01

Aureas held court. Well, to be more correctly, the court held Aureas' entire couch and lunch table up from his house and out to the streets so that they may talk to him. It was a bumpy ride, but at least he can finish lunch while processing the babble of requests.

"We must tell Sudan to slaughter the rebels, after all, we helped them slaughter theres!" cried one of the captain of the rangers. "It is time that they reiterate our friendship!"

"We must bring Sudan and the Land of the Sun under our authority!" cried one of the political advisors. "With their trade optimized by our skills, we can become ever more wealthy!"

"We must teach those Zulep and Aset-worshiping cultists a thing or two about ascending the flesh!" cried a priest, "Maybe then they can turn away from the demons!"

Bump bump bump goes his couch as the advisors carried him out on the streets. The Orangesmith picked up a pickled grouper, ripped it in twain, and placed it in his mouth. He loved the sour bitterness of the flavor, and it helped remind him that his body is only temporary while enlightenment is eternal. Juices fall among some in the crowd, and they shrink away from its corrosive power.

As he chewed, he turned to the clay tablets they prepared for him to sign. Huh, apparently a soldier out in the Serengeti made a fortune selling old porriage to the natives, calling it "Ale", and wished for him to taste it and invest.

A bump in the road made the rest of his bowl of groupers fall onto the streets. The men fell back as if they are melting, but ohers kept holding the legs of his table, straining as if it takes all their moral fiber to not flinch from the acidic pickle-juice.

"To Kausta's Ale Tavern!" he called. Old porriage, isn't that how they make Beer? Nevermind, to each to his own.

He jumped down from his couch and walked by himself, using the alley ways to hide from the crowd. He was popular yes, and they want to see him, yes, and he was fine if they carry him, yes... but only when he is too busy.

He is his own man, he can walk himself.

In the background, he can hear grunts of pain as some Zorrkanists whipped themselves in their homes after a long morning of work. Others are chanting from the Lore of the Golden Sun, the last work composed by Pharon, several Clerics of Akten and Priests of Zorro. Still others, kindling in his heart, are beating the metals under the earth to serve the men upon it.

He quickly arrived at the shop, where it was full. After the Aktenist Merchants tried to fight in the chaos after Pharon's death his proclaimation of Zorrkanism, the social ladder has been cleared and many middle-class people became merchants as well, and much skill is needed to survive even a year of trade. Middle class trades such as stoneworking, pottery, and forging are also growing after chasing away the stratified elite.

And here it shows, dozens of middle-class men drinking during the Lunch Hour, laughing as they downed bowl after bowl of the pale liquid.

When he walked out, the entire Tavern stopped, and all eyes turned. After the scrapping of chairs, all heads bowed.

"Continue" he said "I wish to see Kausta"

Yes, he has good business, but does he has good ideas?

The lithe veteran walked over, with a jar full of ale with him. "Greetings, Archiver" spoke the soldier, "I bring you the best drink from the Serengeti"

"We shall see". The jar was large, but years of working as an Orangesmith gave him the strength the take the entire jar, ignoring the cup the brewer offered, and take a great sip from the brew.

Silence.

"Does it make you drunk?" came the question.

"Yes?" came the tentative answer.

"I want five jars of it the week after tomarrow to be sent every day to the Drunken Hare camps, and I want 3 jars to be sent to my palace every day. I will also send two advisors and 2 merchants from the Market to aid you."

"Thank you!"

"No, thank Zorro for his enlightenment"

*sip*

To: Emperor Fang Shu of the Dragon Empire

It is an honor that we graciously accept.

-

OOC: I just want to clear up that although the song is catchy and the theme of infrastructure works into the update, Cake does not in fact know the rules to the game and no one here would actually benefit from constructing more roads than they already have.

Hey,

OCC

Up till now I figured cities were rare. Big Cities that is. I created Soo for a storyline which became my center of trade and Bia Xi's Hold was were my Forge was built to counter the Horse Barbarians. I do see at least 2 more popping up before long. :D

Blaze Injun

OOC: Well... no.
Well, actually yes. Eliat, port on the Red Sea,

Sorry, I missed that one. I told you when I was doing that on the map that I didn't have a lot of cities for you. I thought you were saying you were going to be putting in more. (I'll add Eliat to the map on the nexxt update. Not that it doesn't exist, just that there is a cartographer's error.

and the City of Merchants across the river from Wasat, if he thinks they should count seperately.

I'm less sure I'd count that one.

We're expanding our borders really quickfast.

True. That is an accurate observation.

Update to Rules: Regardless of any trait or building bonus the cost of no unit, technology or building may be less than 1.

-

This goes at the same point as forge reform, and again it isn't a rule that had seen a lot of exploitation yet but it did threaten to in the near future.

This does not replace Forge upkeep or the updated unit costs. This does not change any technology costs.

This does not affect Libraries or Wonders that generate Science per turn as they do not affect cost.

Hey,

The Future Empire in Cat Prints. (scientific)

"This will be the new center of the Dragon's Empire." Said the young cartographer laying on his stomach on a wooden plank. He was suspended over the largest piece of silk in the Empire by a mass of ropes and pullies. The silk was the most detailed map ever to be created for any Emperor. Possibly in the whole world. Which this young man knew in his mind would need many more equally as large pieces of silk added to this one.

"Do you think your one little brush stroke could move the capital?" Replied his young Khanate slave yawning as she pulled her master over the silk.

"No Nevniz." The cartographer smiled over at her. "With eight brush stokes I will complete this map giving the Emperor all the details of his lands and what lays beyond the borders. He winked at the sleepy dark skined girl. "It will show the Emperor the future of the Empire."

Later in the dark night of Junjan. Where a sleepy slavegirl had spilled paint. A small cat would leave a trail to the future of the Empire.

CGLH01

Who's to say the first thing in the update won't be "And the wedding between the Princess of the Dragon and the King of Paranaa was spoiled horribly when the Khan's agents poisoned everyone and then set off a bomb destroying the city?"

I mean, it's not very likely (for starters it would require Chivalry, and past that where did that bomb come from?), but the chickens you are counting just haven't quite hatched yet. Paranaa is a pretty active site for earthquakes.

-

Couple of new Iron Age not-quite essential techs.

Top Bottom