Absolution 4: Tabula Rasa

Hey,

To: Emperor Li IX of the Shang Empire

I greet you as a Son of the Dragon and wish you well. I would like to make a the offer of the Dragon's Wisdom of the Hanghui and masonic codes say for 3 EP? I would be willing to supply your armies with meat on the hoof for free.

SHE01

From Emperor Li IX of the Shang Empire
To Emperor Chao Longwei of the Heavenly Dragon Empire

You have a deal good sir.

Hey,

The Prince Heir and the Dragon Empire Puzzle. (scientific)

"I know it was here 10 years ago." The young Prince Heir crawled his way deeper into the dusty stacks of wooden boxes and mounds of silk paged books. For hours he had been hunting for his object of obsession.
"My Lord. You must stop this futile search." Yelled Hopsing, his most trusted teacher, over the packed warehouse. "Come let your humble servants look for this toy."

"Perhaps your right master." He leaned hard back against a stack of books causing one to fall onto his lap. There it was. Not the model, even better. The handwritten notes on weights and leverage. Cin Fu's Studies of Heavenly Effects of Motion. "No need for that master." The Prince Heir smiled as he opened the book and looked at the brightly painted pages. He unfolded a page to create a large panel showing the design of the basic catapult. Down the sides and on the other pages were notes on tensions, weights and counterweights Types of ropes made of different materials. How to make them and when they should be used. "Did you know teacher that ropes made for southern catapults can not be used in colder climates without first being soaked in horse urine for 4 days?" The Prince Heir had just saw the future of the Empire. His future Empire. "I have found my first Dragon's Puzzle piece." He folded the page and started to crawl back to the entrance of this warehouse maze. "Cin Fu was truly an amazing man."

PHs01

Hey,

The Paranaa Goat Merchant Far From Home. (Paranaa Trade Goods: Goats)

"How soon before we reach the Island of Paupa?" The Paranaa Merchant said lazily to a passing sailor on the deck of the black painted Dragon's Empire ship.

"With in a half day's time, merchant." The crewman growled back at the fat merchant.

"Very good. Very good." Merchant Par turned to his fellow passenger. "See Physician Fu-han Hai. You will soon not need those needles in your flesh." He poked the little man in the arm and laughed at his observation.

"It will not be to soon for me." The white robed man looked at his naked arms and the many needles sticking from various pressure points. "But bless the Heavenly Dragon I have them. And you Par, will you not be happy to see Paupa?

"Very much so." He laughed looking over to the deck hatch. "I might deal in goats but the smell I have no need for.

PTg03

Hey,

To: The Council of Paupa

I have sent my most scholared Physician Fu-han Hai and Par the Paranaa Merchant to offer you the Dragons Wisdom of Acupuncture, Wisdom of our Hanghui and highly prized Paranaa goats for suppling the Heavenly Dragon's Empire with Aloe and 3 EP.

DEPC01

Hey,

To: High General of the Cyria Army
From: Far General Nianzu of the Western Army of the Heavenly Dragon Empire

It has come to my ears that you are learning the Dragon's Wisdom of the Sail. It is good to hear as my ancestors were born of the great Mie River. The ways of the water and sail are in my blood. I have sent a gift, a rare copy of Cin Fu and The Exotics of Kitanato. A wonderous adventure of the waves and Islands beyond the rising sun. For a price I could have the Shipbuilder Hanghui send craftsmen with shipbuilding manuals to teach you the Wisdom of the Dragon Sail. What would you offer for such knowledge?

DEC02

To: Emperor Chao Longwei of the Heavenly Dragon Empire

This is a very agreeable idea.

To: Far General Nianzu of the Western Army of the Heavenly Dragon Empire

Your book will be a welcome addition to our library. We have much of the knowledge of Sailing, and would not be willing to offer more than 3 EP for the rest of it.

The Time Has Come

(Construction Story: Punt)

-

The laborers gathered at dawn to prepare their Koughfee. Brass screens at the top of iron Kettles separated the ground beans from the water as it steamed up to mix.

"Milk?" one of the laborers asked, which got heads shaken in response, "Yeah," the first laborer says, "I drink it black too."

The others laughed at him as he stared longingly at his jar of goat milk.

"Let's just get to building."

Iron nails, very useful, the wealthy and intelligent people of Punt had all the finest building supplies. Wooden houses, Iron nails, well crafted beds.

But today the hammers and the shovels, stones are hauled from far away, all in the name of a Library.

"Any word from the galley?"

"Raw Speculation came back yesterday," hammer, wood pulled into place, "Said they were docked in Indus."

"Indus? And this speculation made it all the way back?"

"I speculate so."

Hammer, nail, "So, in Indus, what's the word about the religion? They all crazy like the Zorrks and the Rocks?"

The other laughs, "Zorrks and Rocks are a bunch of lunatics, you know, there's a real world out there beyond the waves and it's full of people who don't care the first bit about the Zorrks and the Rocks. I'm sure they've never even heard of that craziness out there."

"No Religious books in this here library."

"Bit early to be making rules."

"Baah! That's for the King to decide anyway, I'm just saying it would be a good idea."

"Well," the other laborer pauses and lowers his hammer, "You're right."

-

Re: Problems with their communications:

Link to video.

One Bar at a Time

(Commercial Story: Kurdia (Trade Good: Raw Glass))

The Proto-Consuls of Kurdia were raised and trained by the old insurgents of the Land of the Sun to serve the Consul and keep order at the "Direction Meetings," but they were also the holders of the old secrets of the Stone Worshippers of Ur.

It was those Stone Worshippers who first uncovered the secret of Bronze, but their temples had produced one last wonder, lost to the whispered secrets of the nationless in the years since.

The quartz pebbles, sand and ash went into the crucible, piled into cylinders while the forge burned below them.

"With the proper gloves and care, with the most careful observation of your training you can reheat the glass," the Proto-consul told his new students, "And shape it however you desire. But we will leave that to others, we simply provide the raw glass."

Staring at the glowing cylinder the pupils gasped as glass emerged once more from the fires of Stone Temples.

To Tatui
From Aureas Orangesmith, the Archiver, Prime Citizen of Satura

Would you like to renew the importation of groupers?
I would also like you to know that, with good information, your groupers are perfect for enlightening heretics and heathens, and also that no non-Zorrkanist man will ever eat it willingly, or at least the condition that arrive at Iruba at. Few will agree to import your grouper, for any price.
Name your price, and be smart about it.

To Zull

Your trial period for Potterscraft is over. Please insert return goods or money, or accept the cancelation of your subscription.

To all

We are willing to trade our spices to the highest bidder. Of course, if return goods are offered, we wish to make an "Import-Export Agreement" instead of a single "trade route". We will pay 1EP to cover the inconvenience.

To All

We are willing to renegotiate all current reciprocal trade routes as "Import-Export Agreements". For all who accept, we will pay 1EP to cover the inconvenience. Current specific nations I am refering to is Land of the Sun and Punt.

To the Moderator

According to my archives, I have exported Spices to Land of the Sun this turn, giving them 1 extra income. Indeed, I should have 32 income this turn; not counting the Inquisitorial tools, it still comes out at 25 trade income+5 Domestic=30. I would love for you to investigate and rectify this ASAP.

To the Inquisitor-General

You must understand that you only have jurisdiction where I give you, General. I do feel that the Khan should follow more closely to Doctrine, but the fact that he follows it at all is an achievement; future influence can be negotiated as a downhill battle. And don't be tempted at sending unauthorized missions, or else. Remember, the High Priest in Persia is the true head of Zorrkanism, you are merely here to enforce peace.

From the Inquisitor-General

It is obvious that you need to be reeducated. Octavian shall be there immediately.

Hey,

Gi Huin. Dragon of the Summertime. (cultural)

"I hope you washed your neck." The cocky youth Gi Huin said tauntingly to his opponent, the old man Master Pi Shan. "I do not want to dirty my blade."

"You suffer the Dragon's Dreams, little ." The master turned sideways to the young student that was set to kill him at any second. The master had already taken in his
surrounding. Set for any move. "Do you think to take this old man in the summertime?"

"When the weather is fine." Replied Gi Huin moving gracefully around his prey. His eyes trained on his masters face. His eyes. "My sword will dine."

Gi Huin drops his shoulder and goes low with a upper cross cut to his masters chest. A diversion His off hand brings his short knife into play, striking for his masters stomach.

"You are not fit for the Silk Eyes." Master Pi easily dodged the diversion and caught the knife meant for his waist on his bronze blade, flinging it away from the student. "With moves such as these."

Gi countered by striking with his now empty hand while spinning to a sword over head combat stance. His counterattack missing as he knew it would. "Old man, you know nothing of the ways of killing." He sprang forward, slashing again in a cross cut. But this time he crushed the nutshell in his mouth. A fine mist of red spice from his mouth, enveloped the old master, blinding him to his death blow. Not the cross cut of the student's sword, but the blade located on Gi Huin's boot heel. The student had dropped again to spin bringing his heel to his Master's temple.

"Today the Emperor has a new weapon." Gi Huin stood over his dead master. His eyes swelling with tears of pride. "One of the four greatest Martial Artists in the world." He turned with a evil smile to walk away. "Gi Huin of the Summertime."

MA01

Since I'm on Martial artists http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vveLFDPzUF4&feature

To: Satura

You sound like a crybaby Iberion complaining of how our grouper made you ill. It does seem that you have found a use for it. Trust me, your Drunken Hare is equally rancid and useless to us as anything but bait. At least we have made an attempt to preserve our food for the long journey, you seem to believe that you have the capacity to magically cool and maintain the freshness of cooked rabbits as they cross the Sahara.

In which event, I suppose, it's only fair if we continue the existing agreement of one spoiled foodstuff for another and let us discontinue the unsettling questions of what each uses it for.

That sounds fine, so I guess you want to double the number of trade routes you get from it? That doesn't sound very suspicious to me.

That sounds pretty suspicious to me. I thought I was dealing with a nation state, not a shady syndicate trying to doctor their books. Since you are a large and somewhat pushy neighbor, I am not highly invested in helping you quadruple your income off of my resources through some shady bookkeeping.

To: All

Whatever deal the Saturans are willing to cut you on Spices, I'll beat it.

-

OOC: I was wrong, they have been fixed.

But I feel compelled to call you a greedy bastard.

To Punt
From Satura

1EP. Per turn.

The Land of the Sun offers us a good place to do business, what do you offer for our spices?

OOC: Everyone else noticed already. :p

To Tatui
From Satura

Agreed. Although the wine and spices is supposed to keep it well. I found a barrel of drunken hare mint from the days Krunnur raided Zull, whenever that was, and it was delicious.

We have a domestic Spice industry to worry about, and I am not confident it would help my economy to import competing spice.

1 EP per turn... is an interesting offer. But I still don't trust the deal. It sounds like you have a grift going on. Maybe for 2 EP a turn...

And I've had Pickled Grouper from the time of the first rafts and found it delightful. That stuff is a delicacy in Tatui and I'm sick of hearing foreigners complain about it.

Saturan Jokes

A Saturan, a Seregite, and a Sudanese man were drinking ale when suddenly a genie popped out of the Keg. "You will fall off a cliff, and at the bottom you will find what you wish."

Saying so, he grabbed the Saturan and threw him down the cliff. The Saturan shouted, "By The Golden Sun!" as he fell, and he landed on a pile of gold, and he managed to dive into it and swim to the surface.

Then, he grabbed the Seregite and threw him down the cliff. The Seregite shouted, "By Zorro's chamber pot!" as he fell, and he landed in a pot of holy liquid and he managed to dive into it and swim to the surface.

Finally, he grabbed the Sudanese and threw him down the cliff. The Sudanese shouted, "By the Stones!" as he fell, and he landed on a giant monolith, and he managed to get divided evenly in half by the monument, thus being consecrated by the Church.

Worshipping the stones hurt.

---------------------------------------

A Saturan, a Seregite, and a Sudanese man walk into a temple. The Saturan says, "I have two hands of gold to give to the temple." and the sun shone on him while he prayed. The Seregite says, "I have a vial of my own blood to give to the temple" and ideas realm visited him while he prayed. The Sudanses says, "I have a handful of stones to give to the temple" and he got stoned while he prayed.

----------------------------------------

If you try to rob a Saturan, his friend will pay you to stop.

If you try to rob a Seregite, he will have nothing, but ask you to keep beating him nonetheless.

If you try to rob a Sudansese, you will get a handful of dried stone… wait, that is no stone! *crap*

--------------------------------------

A Saturan is seen at this time a curious mixture of traditional Aktenism and new ideas of Zorrkanism. When joking about themselves, they use the outsider perspective of uncalculablely greedy and cunning.

A Seregite is seen at this time as completely orthodoxically Zorrkanist. Every new commandment from the temple is eagerly taken up, and they enjoyed showing off their tattoos on their… garment-deficient fashions.

A Sudanese man is seen at this time as Stoned, despite that faith only having a slight influence there. Indeed, they accept this role in such jokes, and understand it is simply venting at hard-core (pun intended) stone worshippers to the north.

Junglese Goods

A Saturan, a Seregite and a Sudanese soldier are in a Junglese village, resting after their hard-fought battle scarcely a week before. The Locals are sullen, but have accepted their defeat with magnanimity. Now, the main trouble is to integrate this new land south of Iruba into Satura.

So far, they've been trying out the newest customs among the Junglese, to see if there is anything promising to cultivate and sell. So far, they have found such strange customs as rubbing poop into the pottery to both color it and make the rare clay deposits last longer (perfect for Zulappi chamber bots, remarked the Saturan, especially if it falls apart when they try to toss it out), as well a special "voodoo" poison which gives one a countenance of death, after three days a person can be revived safely, (I wonder how close that brings you to the realm of ideas, spoke the Seregite). Even more important seems to the the thick ooze from the ground which is soaked into their primitive hemp clothes and made into torches (better to power those forges, dear, cried the Sudanese).

Of course, then there is the wonder plant-hemp. The Junglese use it for clothes, for bowstrings, for armor, for torches… even for food. The hemp-burning torches make strange smelling smoke. When the Saturan smelled it, it seemed to smell like paper money. When the Seregite smells it, it smells like ideas are jumping out of his head. When the Sudanese soldier smells it, he feels as if he is stoned. Then, after the great hemp bonfire everyone got this insane craving for small portable foods. Something called "Dim Sun" (to the amazement of the Saturan) is made. It is tiny portions of meat, grain, and fruits wrapped in a hemp dressing and tossed through a hemp fire. Mountains of them are made before the hemp bonfire, and rather quickly these mountains are consumed by men stricken by these strange cravings.

Returning back to base at Iruba, they reported on goods which might be useful, but the number one thing they all focused on; they gotta get some more of that hemp!

To All
Anyone wants to trade for some of our hemp?

Forges of the Orangesmith-11

Aureas is no longer the stout and mighty man of his youth, but what strength he lost to time, he has more than made up with new insights of leadership. He has precious few years left, but with a little luck, he can make the most of it in service to Satura.

Every week, he would walk all the way to Sereg to inspect the growing forging complex there, and he will singlehandedly smith a full set of armor before returning to Waset. Most of the forges are satisfactory, but others he deemed too shoddy and were closed. The armor and weapons he made went towards arming a new generation of spearmen.

However, at Napata he let himself be a bit more experimental. There are many ores and crystals in the mountains which he cast into the brick-lined bowl and watched as it slowly melted. Silver, copper, tin, even a strange metal which seemed to be a mix of Silver and Tin, although no matter how me mixed it himself, he could't attain either its silvery sheen nor its tin-like toughness.

And so he tried again and again, building newer, larger, better forges with more bellows, more charcoal. The flames grew hotter and hotter under his tender care, and his hair, once white, once more became black, as black as the soot he shifted for nuggets of the strange metal. Finally, he has retrieved a bar of pure Silvertin, and in his glee, he lifted his mighty hammer one last time and blacksmithed the first Saturan Sword.

It is said that the beauty of the sword broke his heart, for he died the very next day.

And so the Orangesmith ends his life as the first blacksmith in Saturan history.

The Inquisitor General

The robed figure stood in the darkness, stoic and silent, under the Palace. A jar of the pickled grouper laid open, and one after another, the rancid fish disappeared into his mouth, to be chewed and swallowed, so that its strength may purify him from within.

The door opened, and two other robbed figures entered. With a wave, the robbed guards left.

"Welcome back to Waset, my fellow Inquisitor Captains. I have received your reports and I've decided to reward you exactly as you deserve. "

One of the robbed figure seemed to stand even straighter, while the other positively cowered.

"Octavian, Inquisitor-Captain of Ur. You have reeducated over nine thousand heretics personally, and led your team to twart the agents of the Philosopher King. You may be young, but you deserve the title Captain-Heir of the Inquisitorial Order of Zorrkanism."

"YOU, Hadrian, Inquisitor-Captain of Persia. Since you have failed in reeducating others… you shall be reeducated."

Hadrian's eyes grew large, and its fearful reflection can bee seen through the shadows of his robe.

"Oh, and we won't use those old tortures. Have you ever had fingernails pulled out by a rusty pliers? Ah, I forgot, you don't even know what rust is! Don't worry, well, do, but you'll find out soon enough."

"Octavian, please promote one of your men to be the new Inquistor-Captain of Persia."

"Inquisitorial Council dismissed,"

OOC: I always find labeling stories to be gamey, especially when the story only refers to the chosen bonus in passing. I thus put my head where my mouth is and will refuse to label my stories, and dare SKILORD to label all of them as Cultural and face my wrath. See if you can figure out which is which.

I just assumed you were really pushing to have enough rep for a second vassal.

The last time I changed my user title I was torn between what I have now and "Too Meta-Gamey."*

But since I'll have to chop up your stories just to add that trade good I guess I'm glad I went with this one.

* Another fun option: "Suspend Your Own Disbelief"

Top Bottom