Diplomacy

Anon.

Chieftain
When I try to make a trade in NHL 2012, for example, there's a bar that tells me how how fair my trade is. Civ should have that. That's all i have to say

MLB the Show has that as well. Great idea, so simple why didn't I think that or better yet why didn't they think of that! Sick of offering 27 trades to the AI without having any idea If they are interested at all

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions.

I don't think it'd really work, because trades generally fall into a number of defaults (that are determined by the strength of your friendship, not by whether it's really a good deal or not), and their fairness is dependent on whether you're going to declare war the following turn or not, or whether you actually need extra happiness for example (if you're buying a luxury), which varies from turn to turn and can't really be quantified at the beginning of the trade.

Civ might also mention if it's a "one-time offering" or not. So that you might now when to try to rise the stakes and when to take what's on the table.

GalCiv also uses a system where you can see what would be acceptable (display the list in green) and when you cross the line (display the list in red). Something you can do in Civ as well, but you have keep on altering the to be negotiated trade items and check with your opponent. If you could see what an AI could live with while preparing you offering/demand the whole thing could go a lot smoother.

And to make it interesting, and not just a way to max out your opponent, you could implement the following :
* less likely or just won't offer peace as quickly
* leads to or causes war
* less likely or just won't offer gifts
* trading resources or buying them with gold will cost more

In NHL some factors that affect trades are; whether or not you and the other team are rivals, salary cap, etc... The more bad trades I attempt the less willing they are to deal with me. I don't see how any of the factors mentioned in the above posts wouldn't allow it to work. How would the tarded AI know if I would declare war in the next turn. It seems simple to me.

For example I want 2 iron for 30 turns. I try offering one gold per turn, no deal. Two gold/turn? no. Three? etc. until I get a deal. Just tell me how close I am to being fair.

For example I want 2 iron for 30 turns. I try offering one gold per turn, no deal. Two gold/turn? no. Three? etc. until I get a deal. Just tell me how close I am to being fair.

I think they do it, if you pay attention to the answers (''you'll have to do better'' is closer to the deal than ''I' ve never heard of such an unfair deal'').

The system is perfectible and sometimes irrationel, it's true. But as people pointed, the notion of a ''fair'' deal is very subjective and we'd better not let any AI guide us in this matter.

Also, most negociation are about reconducting a deal (is that english?) Then, it would be good to have an option to renew the trade as it was, or bargain about price. Especially about open borders, offer to renew before units are auto-kicked out of borders.

Top Bottom