How to install a mod (again)

Jun 18, 2012 10:08 PM
Ultimate Danny Haha wow thank you I found the file almost immediately once I knew the location was completely wrong.

And where is it located now? My Civilization just updated and it's not showing anymore the mod option on main menu.

I just tried to search for the file name but I can't find it.

Anyone knows how to enable mods on mac now with the update?

Thank you!

Same here, had the update thru steam, everything in civ is reset, which isn't a great problem. No MODS option in vanilla update, so went looking for the Mainmenu.lua file in the usual place, but couldn't see it. Finally found it by doing a search, (apparently it's in the same place just hidden), changed the file by adding the -- to the file. Tried civ again, but still no MODS in the menu.

As said, the location is completely wrong, I have a good news and a bad news.

The good is that I've just found it inside the folder:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v

There is a new icon (Civilization V: Gods & Kings), I realised that is 5GB.

Right click and then show content.

and then navigate:

Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd

There it is! change the MainMenu.lua

The line is:

Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true );

Simply add two hyphens like this:

-- Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true );

It's showing the main menu.

The bad news is that the mods that I have are not showing on the Mods Menu. Anyone having this problem? Anyone knows how to solve it?

It's showing the main menu.

The bad news is that the mods that I have are not showing on the Mods Menu. Anyone having this problem? Anyone knows how to solve it?

Dude, the Mod button on the menu is not there. I have even deleted the line all together from the MainMenu.lua file and still no dice. I think that they may have just too many options on the menu by adding the DLC button, leaving the red headed stepchild Mod button out in the cold. Bye Bye Mods!

On the other hand, it you have the Mod button showing on the main menu, please share a screen shot, I would love to see it.

If you have Gods & Kings then the MainMenu.lua file that you need to change is at:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/DLC/Expansion/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

If you don't have Gods & Kings then I'm guessing the file you need to edit is at:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilisation v/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

Dude, the Mod button on the menu is not there. I have even deleted the line all together from the MainMenu.lua file and still no dice. I think that they may have just too many options on the menu by adding the DLC button, leaving the red headed stepchild Mod button out in the cold. Bye Bye Mods!

On the other hand, it you have the Mod button showing on the main menu, please share a screen shot, I would love to see it.

I have the Mod Menu working. Here, I'll add a picture soon.

EDIT: Picture is attached, it's the PDF.

By the way, the InstalledPanel.xml has a bug in it that needs to be fixed.

You have to use a custom version to fix it and make your mods appear.

NOTE, I DIDN'T MAKE THIS ONE, I FOUND IT ON THESE FORUMS AWHILE AGO. THIS FILE DOES NOT BELONG TO ME. I HAVEN'T TESTED THIS YET, BUT I BELIEVE THAT THIS ONLY WORKS FOR NON-G&K CIV V FOR MAC.
Simply unzip the attached file, and put the new "InstalledPanel.xml" file in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilisation v/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/Modding

When it asks to replace the item, tell it to replace.

Happy modding!

Attachments

• InstalledPanel.xml.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 5,952
  • Screen shot 2012-06-20 at 9.04.25 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-06-20 at 9.04.25 AM.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 2,774
Iamgoofball, sorry I should have been more clear. I am talking about the Mod Menu on Gods and Kings.

AlanH, you are the man. It is there.

Just one new note now, those of us who want to use mods or map scripts like PerfectWorld3, be sure to enable the mod or else the mod/map script won't show up.

You have to use a custom version to fix it and make your mods appear.
THIS ONLY WORKS FOR NON-G&K CIV V FOR MAC.
Simply unzip the attached file, and put the new "InstalledPanel.xml" file in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilisation v/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/Modding

That did the trick, Thanks.

If you have Gods & Kings then the MainMenu.lua file that you need to change is at:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/DLC/Expansion/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

If you don't have Gods & Kings then I'm guessing the file you need to edit is at:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilisation v/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

It worked Iv'e tryed before and after the install of God and Kings. Still need a Screenshot?

I found the folder where MainMenu.lua is said to be located empty when I looked there. I used Find Any File to find MainMenu.lua and then used that programs Display in Finder function. The file is apparently invisible to users or I just had the wrong folder. There are two files by that name. One is a horizontal rectangle icon that is shown as a unix executable and one a document icon. Editing the document did nothing, editing the Unix file caused the mod menu choice to appear. The icons are now those of the editor program TextWrangler, which I used.

Hi all. I am an "older" player. In Civ 4 I enjoyed World Builder so I could cheat, just a little, and play high levels. I have the Steam version of Civ 5 on my MacBook but there is no World Builder. This is correct?

I have to download something called a "Mod"? What the ----?

Yes, I read the other posts, but I know my tech capabilities are stunted. If I play on Windows, do I get World Builder, or do I still have to root around for it like it's some scavenger hunt?

Does anyone think future, friendlier versions of Civ 5 may contain World Builder? Maybe I should take a few long breaths and wait another year...

thanks for anything helpful,
Michael G

The WorldBuilder has been moved out of Civ5 and it now lives in ModBuddy, which is a separate modding toolkit that is only available for Windows.

There is a Civ5 mod called In Game Editor that provides the sort of facilities you are used to, but you will have to download it and install it manually, and you will need to jump through various hoops to get Civ5 to let you use mods. See more details in this thread and in this forum.

thanx Alan. I have no inclination to root around, fruitlessly, for something that should be in the game anyway. Apparently Civ 5 mac users are a low priority this time around. Think I'll rip off a complaint or two...

Alan, I want to install the InGame Editor that I'm used to. But because of this new update I can't use anymore. I did the manual instalation but the mod does not apear on the mods menu. How to install it now?

Thank you!

Please check out the FAQ. The last few questions explain how to get mods to show up again in the latest versions. The MainMenu.lua file appears in two new places. There's another file that has to be replaced, and mods need to be installed in new locations.

I am trying to download some of the extra wonders modded by pouakai et al. which come as .civ5mod. When I expand using Ez7z, most of the files end up as document files rather than unix executable. The result seems to be that I can select to use a Wonder mod in the mod windows, but its not actually there in the game. No changes to Tech Tree etc etc. I've mostly tried Nazca Lines, because its testable in a short game as it comes with Calendar.

I have successfully installed two mods -> RESEED! and InGame Editor, reworked mainmenu.lua etc etc - all goes well with those.

Please Help.

I have tried installing Nazca Lines, and although it appears in the Mods list, and I can Enable it and start a game, it doesn't look as if it is actually enabled in the game. For example, it doesn't appear in the list of wonders in the 'pedia.

I wouldn't expect mod files to look like unix executables generally. That is just a default icon/file description, typically used for documents with unknown file extensions. The only one that appears that way in my installation is the .modInfo file. The files in Nazca Lines are mostly .xml and .dds, and depending on what your OS knows about these extensions, they may appear as almost anything in Finder. My system shows .dds as "DDS Document". .xml and .lua are "BBEdit documents", because that is what I've told my OS to use to open them

Top Bottom