FileValet for Civ3 Complete

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
I have now put together the utility that I threatened a few weeks ago.

FileValet is a combination of an OS X application and an Applescript.

The application reads Civ3 saved game files, can extract some limited information about the state of the game, and can optionally save them as compressed files with any incompatible Windows multiplayer data removed.

The Applescript can be used as a Droplet or as a Folder Action. In Droplet mode you can use it to compress manually saved games prior to submission for GOTM or for SGs or PBEM games. In Folder Action mode it is particularly interesting as a basis for creating a compressed archive of all the auto-saves created during a game.

Please see the enclosed Help file for more details, and let me know if you have any problems with it, or suggestions for improvement. I have attempted to write it to be compatible with Panther, but I have only tested it with Tiger 10.4.5.

Version History:

Version 1.0b1 18-03-06 First beta - 3 downloads

Version 1.0b2 18-03-06 Panther compatible

Version 1.1b1 Just a zipped folder. Now expands or compresses BIQ, BIX, BIC files. Leopard and Snow Leopard only.

10.3.9 here, "The application unexpectedly quit" message shows up after only one and a half bounce.

I was afraid of that. Do you have a crash report?

EDIT. OK, I think I've got it nailed. I'm rebuilding now ...

Revised version 1.0b2 now linked in first post.

It seems to be working now. Do you still want a crash report?

Oh, and thx for creating releasing this litle app to begin with.:goodjob:

Thanks. No need for the crash report, I ran it on my daughter's laptop and discovered Panther is a little less forgiving than Tiger of attempts to use integers and booleans interchangeably.

I just finished my "at-bat" for Mac Mayania. I'm about to try out FileValet. If it's successful, I'll post both its version and a standard save in that thread. If not I'll contact you via this one. Should be an interesting experiment since i'm on a B&W G3 running Panther.

Note to AlanH: Everything seems to have worked. FileValet says the compressed file has a score of 4680 whatever that means. The original save is 3.6 mb. The standard zip is 304 kb. The FV version is 420 kb. Both compressed versions will be posted on the Mac Mayania thread in just a few minutes.

Thanks.

The score should match what you see in F8 as your score.

The files are posted now. By the way Alan, thanks for one of the best readme files I've seen in a long time. A lot of my professional life has been training educators to use new technologies, so I really appreciate a good help.

Blue Monkey said:
thanks for one of the best readme files I've seen in a long time. A lot of my professional life has been training educators to use new technologies, so I really appreciate a good help.

Thanks for the compliment. It was done as a straightforward act of self defence, I assure you ;)

Apple's APIs and Xcode development system make it a breeze to add prefessional looking help, so there's really no excuse for those apps you find with "There's no Help for <my_wonderful_app>" behind the Help menu item. Unless the developer honestly believes his creation is totally self-explanatory.

Top Bottom