Marmot - A Modern Middle East IOT

Bowsling

Deity
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, girls and boys, and other intriguing specimens of the genus iotidae. What you are reading is the OP of Marmot, my first attempt at GMing an IOT.

Joining:

Of course, this is the probably the only thing that most readers will read of this post before they attempt to join. So I will be brief: pick from the list below. I will keep it updated as entities are claimed, created or destroyed. First come, first serve.

What is This Game All About?:

This is a Modern Middle East IOT, as you may have guessed. Players will represent the administration of the nation or rebellion that they choose. The entire game is roleplaying-based, meaning that there are no hard stats. The only tangible information is presented on the map. The other unique thing about this game is that it is in real-time. That is to say, every two days will represent two weeks in-game. Rather than having an update cycle like most IOTs, events and other GM-ly things can happen at any time. Russia will not wait for the next update, for example, to invade Georgia, but will do it when they (I) feel like it. The in-game calendar will start at January 1st, 2013, and will continue until something terrible happens which causes the game to no longer interact with the players.

The Procedure of the Game:

As I have said before, this game is entirely RP-based. There are no provinces, no armies, no turns, no economics, no stats at all. You play as a leader, whether it is of a party, rebellion, or legitimate government, and only as that. There is no micromanagement: you have lackeys (me) for that. The game is what you make of it: somebody that actively posts RP will have a much more enjoyable and engaging game than someone who just sits around and lurks. The range is broad: if you RP about starting a state-owned Marmite importer, you may receive events centred around that Marmite importer.

Don't take your position for granted either. Rebels and rival parties seek to dethrone you at every turn. Minor things can initiate large protests. Large protests may even start on their own. The map only shows the Middle East, but you are still free to interact with NPCs off the map, and those interactions can be bad - especially if you are Iran or Georgia. If you lose control of your government, you will revert to a rebel. Under no circumstances will anybody switch once the game has started!

A few guidelines (rules) to remember when you play:

- You are expected to know your position in detail. Don't powergame. Yemen can't into space.
- Don't bring out-of-game biases to this game. Treat your neighbour as a reactionary, highly religious head of a state that publicly beheads people and is seeking to acquire nuclear weapons, not as your best bud.
- Don't post dumb stuff, and be sensible. Be VERY sensible. We are dealing with existing religions, states, and peoples. This post crossed the line. I ignored it, since it was just a signup. Stuff like that will be dealt with severely once the game starts.
- Have fun! :goodjob:

Disclaimer~

This game is not intended to act as an accurate representation of the current geopolitical situation in the Middle East. I am not responsible for any misinformation in the games. I will strive to remain as fair, balanced, and non-partisan as possible, however, mistakes may be made.

Attachments

• MiddleEast.jpg
    MiddleEast.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 188
Nations:

Armenia:Nonevah
Azerbaijan: Double A
Bahrain
Cyprus: christos200
Egypt: JoanK
Georgia: Bair the Normal
Iran: Sonereal
Iraq: Mosher
Israel: Arrow Gamer
Jordan
Lebanon
Oman
Palestine: GhostWriter16
Qatar: swimandciv
Saudi Arabia: Tyo
Sudan: Darkfeather
Syria
Turkey: Patriotic Fool
United Arab Emirates
Yemen: AluminumKnight

Rebels:

Kurdistan Nationalists (Turkey, Iran, Syria, Iraq): Red Spy
Sunni Conservatives (Global)
Shia Conservatives (Global)
Syrian Liberals (Syria) - active
Lebanese Christians (Lebanon, Syria): Krzowwh
Iraqi Christians (Iraq)
Saudi Arab Liberals (Saudi Arabia): NedimNapoleon
Egyptian Military (Egypt) - strong: CELTICEMPIRE
Sudanese African Christians (southern ends of Sudan)
South Ossetia & Abkhazia (Georgia) - strong: Robert Can't
Iranian Liberals (Iran)
North Cypriots (Cyprus) - strong: taillesskangaru
Gaza Strip Secessionists (Palestine, Israel): momo1000

Iraq signing in

Egypt here. Damn, I really wanted to pick Israel.

Would it not have been more fun for the rebel applications to be done via pm, and them to play secretly though you, the gm, until they chose to reveal themselves?

A rebel mozzie faction por favor ? then I ll have some LTTE style human bombs running out.

I take Cyprus.

Top Bottom