Pre-thread: This world is yours 2: Solspace

PHASE I TURN 7

Spoiler STARMAP :

0418f - Aso
Aso is a dwarf star in the Romus constellation. Named for Aso Rock, a distinctive geographical feature in the capital city of Nigeria, Abuja. It means "Victory" in the native language of the Asokoro people, this star is also referred to as "The Star of Victory".
A class M main sequence star, small and exceedingly common. These relatively cool stars often mass only a fraction of Old Earth's sun.

0505e - Ankara
Ankara is a red dwarf in the Corona constellation. Initially catalogued as LB-7406b, the star was renamed Ankara by its first explorers. It is around 36 lightyears from Sol.
A class M main sequence star, small and exceedingly common. These relatively cool stars often mass only a fraction of Old Earth's sun.

1204a - Qiufan
Qiufan is a dim red dwarf star in the Cixin constellation.

1416b - Gorgon
Gorgon is a star in The Terrors Constellation. Gorgon has been dimly visible in the nightsky since time immemorial and was named for the eponymous Greek monster. The three Gorgon sisters had hair of living, venomous snakes and could turn men into stone with a single look.

1421a - Bilbies
Bilbies is a cool star in the Terrors Constellation. It was named by Astrographer Jaques Humphries in 1864 after a small, shrew-like marsupial. It wasn't until 1892 that the Royal Academy of Astrography in London put two and two together. By then, the name had stuck.

1514b - Salaam
Salaam is a bright blue star named after Mohammad Abdus Salam, a Pakistani physicist who was the founding director of the Pakistani space program. He also was the first Pakistani Nobel Prize winner (and the second Muslim). Also has a double meaning - Salam (sometimes also transliterated as Salaam) means "peace" in Arabic and is often used as an informal greeting, As-Salaam is also one of the 99 names of God.
B-class giant stars typically range from 10,000 K to 25,000 K and are also bluish white but show neutral helium lines. Post-main sequence stars such as the OB-class supergiants are extremely luminous and hot.

1618c - Sphinx
In Greek mythology, the Sphinx was a monster. Some accounts note that it had the body and tail of a lion, the face of a woman, and the wings of a bird. It was an offspring of Echidna and Typhon, who also bore such other monsters as the Hydra, the Chimera, the many-headed dog Orthus, and the nasty Gorgons.
The beginning of the end for most stars, the white dwarf was once a red giant not massive enough to fuse carbon. Extremely dense and slowly radiating away its heat as it no longer undergoes fusion reactions, its volume is supported against gravitational collapse only by electron degeneracy pressure.

1619e - Amarok
Amarok is a red star in The Terrors Constellation. Amarok is named for the Inuit monster of the same name. The Amarok is depicted in folklore as a large, black wolf "From which nothing is concealed." The Amarok represents wisdom and pride.

1620c - Kookaburra
Kookaburra is a cool star in the Terrors Constellation. It was named by Astrographer Jaques Humphries in 1864 after a small, laughing native bird, the Kookaburra. It wasn't until 1892 that the Royal Academy of Astrography in London put two and two together. By then, the name had stuck.
A low-to-medium mass star in a late phase of stellar evolution, a red giant has exhausted the supply of hydrogen in its core and switched to hydrogen fusion in a shell around the now helium core instead. While the star itself is huge, the outer envelope has a lower temperature, giving the star its characteristic hue.

1706b - Baden
Baden is a red darf in the Cixin constellation. It is named for the German city of Baden, which in turn was named due to its proximity to a hot spring. "Baden" means "bo bathe" in modern German. It is around 29 lightyears from Sol.

1716d - Tartarus
Tartarus is an unassuming red dwarf in the Terros Constellation. In Greek mythology, Tartarus is the deep abyss that is used as a dungeon of torment and suffering for the wicked and as the prison for the Titans. Tartarus is the place where, according to Plato's Gorgias (c. 400 BC), souls are judged after death and where the wicked received divine punishment. Hesiod asserts that a bronze anvil falling from heaven would fall nine days before it reached the earth. The anvil would take nine more days to fall from earth to Tartarus. In the Iliad (c. 8th century BC), Zeus asserts that Tartarus is "as far beneath Hades as heaven is above the earth."

1821e - Quoll
Quoll is a yellow star in the Terrors Constellation, around 55 lightyears from Sol. It was named by Astrographer Jaques Humphries in 1878 after a small, carniverous marsupial. It wasn't until 1892 that the Royal Academy of Astrography in London put two and two together. By then, the name had stuck.
A G2 type primary sequence star, estimated age is five billion years. Surface temperature is only about six thousand degrees, while core temperature could well exceed fifteen million degrees.

2004d-B - Shaanxi
Shaanxi is the larger of the binary pair in the Cixin system. It is much brighter than its partner star, Cixin. It is around 39 lightyears from Sol.
A K-type main-sequence star, also referred to as a K-type dwarf or an orange dwarf, is a main-sequence (hydrogen-burning) star of spectral type K and luminosity class V. These stars are intermediate in size between red M-type main-sequence stars ("red dwarfs") and yellow/white G-type main-sequence stars.

2018e - Yali
Yali is an orange star in the Terrors constellation. In classical mythology, Yali was a monster with the body of a lion and the tusks and trunk of an elephant. In certain proto-Dravidian cultures Yali was a multi-faced demon that protected the mind and bodies of worshippers.
Slightly cooler and smaller than Old Earth's sun, this class K star most resembles Alpha Centauri B. It is particularly stable, burning on the lower end of the main sequence for tens of billions of years and thus considered a likely host to life-bearing and terraformable planets.

2021b - Pinky
Pinky, despite its name, is a white dwarf, burning bright in the Ghost Cluster, a segment of the Terrors Constellation. It was named for a ghost from the early 20th century game Pacman. It is around 50 lightyears from Sol.
The beginning of the end for most stars, the white dwarf was once a red giant not massive enough to fuse carbon. Extremely dense and slowly radiating away its heat as it no longer undergoes fusion reactions, its volume is supported against gravitational collapse only by electron degeneracy pressure.

2116b - Vapula
Vapula is a star in The Terrors Constellation. The Pseudomonarchia daemonum, or False Monarchy of Demons, by the Dutch occultist Johann Weyer, was published as an appendix to his book titled De praestigiis daemonum, or On the Tricks of Demons, in 1577. The description of Vapula from the Pseudomonarchia daemonum is as follows: “Vapula is a great duke and a stronge, he is seene like a lion with griphens wings, he maketh a man subtill and wonderfull in handicrafts (mechanics or engineering), philosophie, and in sciences conteined in bookes, and is ruler over thirtie - six legions..."

2121e - Blinky
Blinky is a red giant in the Ghost Cluster of the Terrors Constellation. It is named for the character from the late 20th century video game Pacman. Part of the year, the star has an unusual twinkle, likely caused by the gravity of a massive exoplanet or a binary brown dwarf in the system.
A low-to-medium mass star in a late phase of stellar evolution, a red giant has exhausted the supply of hydrogen in its core and switched to hydrogen fusion in a shell around the now helium core instead. While the star itself is huge, the outer envelope has a lower temperature, giving the star its characteristic hue.

2222b - Inky
Inky is a red dwarf star in the Ghost Cluster of the Terrors Constellation. It is named for a character from the early 20th century video game titled Pacman.

PLAYERBASE CP2d6 CPBANKED CPTOTAL CPPOGSSP
TerrisH25718500
Erez8725715470
Eltain25310380
Traveller7625105400
NinjaCow64251217541

OOC:

Apologies for the late update, it was a busy week.

Note: I changed the spelling of Salam to Salaam, because I kept reading it as Salem and that ruined the vibe.

Results of MINIGAME 3:
Bonus CP applied to base CP.
Winner: Mythical creatures. Expanded the constellation with 3 more star systems: 1416b Gorgon, 1618c Sphinx and 1716d Tartarus.

Spoiler MINIGAME 4 :

Special nebula turn

5 CP bonus will be added to your banked CP on 6/2/23, usable after that date IF:
1: You spend 10 CP minimum on nebula.
a: Specify 2 stars which might benefit from being connected (separated?) by nebula. Don't exceed 5 hexes in distance.
2: Avoid bunching submissions up against the "core cluster" of stars surrounding Sol.

You only need to spend 10 CP total. Any spending beyond this increases the order of magnitude of the nebula, up to an unspecified max size.

I think PHASE I TURN 10 will be the last before we move on to planets and etc.

I will update the map again on Friday 6/2/23 after 8 pm est.
If all orders are in before then, and also I have a few free minutes, I will update ahead of schedule.

Otherwise, I will update on schedule with or without all participants.

Last edited:
Orders
38 CP total
20 CP - 1405b - Goethe. Named for the German author of the same name.

5 CP bonus will be added to your banked CP on 6/2/23, usable after that date IF:
1: You spend 10 CP minimum on nebula.

a: Specify 2 stars which might benefit from being connected (separated?) by nebula. Don't exceed 5 hexes in distance.
Connct stars Guangro - Cixin
10 CP - 1403-1804. - Tianlong Nebula, named for a chinese dragon of the same name.
8 CP - bank

Last edited:
Oh no, I’ll send orders in very soon!!!

I am not intending to go for the minigame this turn, as I am violating rule #2

54 CP

10CP - 1111E Nebula - St Peter's Gate (RNG Preference - make the Nebula white)
20CP - 1713C Star - Méndez's Star
20CP - 1314A Star - Ramanujan
4CP - Bank

Name explanations

St Peter's Gate - Christian origin, the gates blocking the entrance of heaven that are guarded by St Peter. Meant to be a bridge between the theming of New Delaware and Olympus, as New Delaware has an American (Christian) origin and and the gates are in-between that and Olympus (Greek heaven).

Méndez's Star - Cuban origin. Named after Cuban astronaut Arnaldo Tamayo Méndez, who served in the Soviet space program on behalf of Cuba.

Ramanujan - Indian origin. Named after Srinivasa Ramanujan, who was a prominent Indian mathematician.

The latter two stars are meant to establish some sort of theming in that region to make a constellation - containing South American (Poyan, Aditi, Nazca, Méndez's Star), Indian/Pakistani (Salaam, Ramaujan, Chalwa's Star), and scientist/astronaut (Salaam, Ramaujan, Chalwa's Star, Méndez's Star). I propose calling this the Southern Constellation, also taking into account how it is directly southwards from Earth.

10CP - 1111E Nebula - St Peter's Gate (RNG Preference - make the Nebula white)

Name explanations

St Peter's Gate - Christian origin, the gates blocking the entrance of heaven that are guarded by St Peter. Meant to be a bridge between the theming of New Delaware and Olympus, as New Delaware has an American (Christian) origin and and the gates are in-between that and Olympus (Greek heaven).
Hi NinjaCow,

Just to clarify how the map is intended to work, the letters in the middle of each hex represent the "Z" axis of space, or "up and down" on the galactic plane; 1111E is 1 cell/parsec or 3.26 lightyears "down" from New Delaware, 4 cell/parsecs or 13 lightyears "down" and 3.3 lightyears "northeast" from Olympus.

So, the cell in question is not really bridging the two.

This is kind of explained on the map key, albeit poorly.

If you'd like to keep the placement that's fine, I just wanted to make sure you understood where in space it is.

Thanks, talk soon

I think I’ll keep the placement, I think its a nice spot for it regardless.

20CP: 0813a, Eris (bright star, preferably small)
20CP: 0813a, Discord (Large dim star)
distant Binary pair (3832 day (10 years, 6 months))
10CP: bank

Eris was first named in the early Bronze Age, and was often regarded as a mischievous star that occasionally vanished from the heavens. It seemed to follow a cycle of being quite visible in the night sky for 3817 days, before rapidly dimming and then vanishing for 15 days, before returning to the night sky.
The cause of this was Discord, which wasn't theorized to exist until the Renascence, and Not properly identified until the development of Radio telescopes. "Apple of Discord", is Eris's distant and dim binary partner, and is significantly larger than its partner. It, for a very small period every 10.5 years, passes between Eris and Sol. While the eclipse is not perfect, it's usually enough that Eris dims enough that it's not visible to the naked eye, giving rise to its vanishing nature.

no mini-game for me. already did the nebula bit at the start. :)

PHASE I TURN 8

Spoiler STARMAP :

0813a-A - Eris
Eris is a yellow star in the Romus Constellation. Initially named in the Bronze age for the goddess of strife and change, and was often regarded as a mischievous star that occasionally vanished from the heavens. Every ten standard years or so, the star changes color from white to dim blue for about a fortnight and then vanishes for a day.
A G2 type primary sequence star, estimated age is five billion years. Surface temperature is only about six thousand degrees, while core temperature could well exceed fifteen million degrees.

0813a-B - Discord
Discord, or the Apple of Discord, is the blue binary partner of Eris. Eris' color-change phenomena was not explained until the Rennaissance, when the existance of Discord was first theorized. The star was not properly documented until 1946 AD when sufficient technology because widespread and the ten-year window came around again.
B-class giant stars typically range from 10,000 K to 25,000 K and are also bluish white but show neutral helium lines. Post-main sequence stars such as the OB-class supergiants are extremely luminous and hot.

1111e - St Peter's Gate
St Peter's Gate has been heralded as the gateway to Heaven as early as 800 BCE. At around 6 lightyears from Sol it is visible on a clear winter night in the northern hemisphere.
A nebula is a distinct luminescent part of interstellar medium, which can consist of ionized, neutral or molecular hydrogen and also cosmic dust.

1314a - Ramanujan
Ramanujan is a common red dwarf star, named posthumously for Srinivasa Ramanujan, a prominent Indian mathematician. It was dedicated in 1984 AD.

1403c,1403d,1504b,1504c,1604b,1705b,1705c,1705d,1804b - Tianlong Nebula
The Tianlong Nebula is the largest in the local volume, stretching from Cixin trailing to Guangro spinward. It was named for the Chinese dragon that it resembles and has a distinct reddish aura common in the local area.
A nebula is a distinct luminescent part of interstellar medium, which can consist of ionized, neutral or molecular hydrogen and also cosmic dust.

1405b - Goethe
Goethe is a red dwarf in the Cixin constellation. It was named for the 18th century German author Johan Wolfgang von Goethe, famous for the posthumously acclaimed two-part tragedy Faust and Faust II

1406d,1407b,1407c,1407d,1407e,1508b - Nehushtan Nebula
The Nehushtan Nebula is visible in the Cixin constellation.

1407d - Chalkydri
Chalkydri- or "brazen hydras" are mythical creatures mentioned in the apocryphal Second Book of Enoch from the 1st century CE, often seen as an angelic species. In the narrative, chalkydri dwell near the Sun alongside other flying elements referred to as phoenixes. Chalkydri is a red dwarf in an active stellar nursery. It is not visible to the naked eye.

1713c - Mendez's Star
Mendez's Star was named for Cuban astronaut Arnaldo Tamayo Méndez, who served in the Soviet space program on behalf of Cuba. It is around 20 lightyears from Earth.

TerrisH20810380
Erez87204477110
Eltain2578400
Traveller7625910440
NinjaCow642054291

OOC:

Spoiler MINIGAME 5 :

BINARIES! BINARIES! BINARIES!

10 CP bonus will be added to your banked CP on 6/10/23, usable after that date IF:
1: You spend 20 CP minimum with the conditions below
a: Add a second star to a currently occupied cell.
b: Name it in theme with its partner star.
c: Provide an explanation of the name. How are the two related? Etc.
d: Choose a cell that someone else placed
2: Avoid bunching submissions up against the "core cluster" of stars surrounding Sol.

Any suggestions for the next / final minigame?

I will update the map again on Saturday 6/10/23 after 8 pm est.
If all orders are in before then, and also I have a few free minutes, I will update ahead of schedule.

Otherwise, I will update on schedule with or without all participants.

Oh dam i missed one!

Orders: erez

71 CP
20 CP - 2220d - Clyde orange star
20 CP - 1814d - Paracas
20 CP - 0416e - Zisa
10 CP - 0419c - Arrow head nebula - looks like an arrow head.

1 CP - Bank

Orders
40 CP total
20 CP: 0709c - Ertin-209-B - the binary partner of Ertin-209-A.
20 CP: 0805d - Verona - Named for the Italian city.

20 CP - 2222B Star - Clyde
7CP Banked

Clyde - The name of the fourth ghost from Pacman.

PHASE I TURN 9

Spoiler STARMAP :

0416e-B - Zisa
Zisa is the larger of the stars in the Tyr system, an orange main sequence star, likely nearing the end of its life based on gamma emissions.
A K-type main-sequence star, also referred to as a K-type dwarf or an orange dwarf, is a main-sequence (hydrogen-burning) star of spectral type K and luminosity class V. These stars are intermediate in size between red M-type main-sequence stars ("red dwarfs") and yellow/white G-type main-sequence stars.

0419c - Arrowhead Nebula
The Arrowhead Nebula is so named because from Earth, it appears to be in the shape of an arrowhead. It is a luminous part of the sky in the Janus Constellation.

0709c-B - Ertin-209-B
Ertin-209-B is the dimmer of the binary pair. The system is around 13 lightyears from Sol.

0805d - Verona
Verona is a small, unremarkable red dwarf in the Enoch Constellation. It is named for the city of Verona, Italy, notedly the setting for the 16th century tragedy Romeo and Juliet.

1814d-B - Paracas
Paracas is a red dwarf in the Nazca system, distantly orbiting Nazca around once every fifty standard Earth years. Named for the Paracas culture of South America, an important society in Peruvian history, well known for its textile art, its mummies and for cranial trephination to cure fractures and tumors in the skull. The system is around 26 lightyears from Sol.

2220d - Clyde
Clyde is an orange dwarf star in the Ghost Cluster of the Terrors Constellation. It is named for the orange ghost from the early 20th century video game titled Pacman.
Slightly cooler and smaller than Old Earth's sun, this class K star most resembles Alpha Centauri B. It is particularly stable, burning on the lower end of the main sequence for tens of billions of years and thus considered a likely host to life-bearing and terraformable planets.

TerrisH3073880 ROUNDED0
Erez87409150 ROUNDED1-0.5=0.50
Eltain307040 ROUNDED0
Traveller762044470 ROUNDED0
NinjaCow642082960 ROUNDED1

OOC:

All points are rounded to the next 00.

erez wins minigame #5! I really liked your contributions to Nazca and Tyr.

NinjaCow: Erez beat you to placing Clyde, and so I have banked the CP that you spent on this project. Also, if you do not spend your SP this turn, it does not rollover into phase II.

Phase I turn 10 is the last for this phase. After that we will move onto Phase IIa turn 1.

Phase IIa: Stellagraphy - Stellagraphy is the art and science of mapping out interplanetary space.
In this phase we will detail the map at the system level - planets, moons, etc. Inhabitants, culture and ownership will be detailed later, in Phase III.
The number of star systems that we develop in phase II is the (number of players x 2) -2. These star systems are considered "active". Everyone is encouraged to detail any active system.
The phase will continue until I feel the chosen star systems are full or complete enough - then we will develop a different set of star systems.

Each player earns 1 special point per phase

Phase IIa turn 1
-Develop active systems
Phase IIa turn 2
-Develop active systems
And so on.

Select new active systems ...
...Phase IIb ~
...Phase IIc ~

And so on.

Please select 2 star systems that you would like to detail next, as well as your normal star placements.

I will post a blank map of the selected star systems with phase I update 10.

I will update the sector map on saturday 6/17 after 8pm EST.

Hmm, 20CP short of what I wanted… ah well, new plans.
0613a-80CP 4-star cluster
Zuse- Brightest star of the cluster.
Hera - close Binary pair to Zuse. Smallest of the stars, and close enough for Zuse to strip hydrogen from. Expected to go nova in 20-30 million years.
Poseidon- A distant partner to the zuse-hera pair. Mid sized star.
Hades - Dim but still visible star at the extreme edge of the system.

Systems to focus for phase 2:
1: Eris binary pair.
2: TBD

Would Iris be a viable system? I would not expect any habitable (or intact planets) but It's recent detonation would mean the shattered remains of any worlds that once orbited it were peppered with debris from that explosion. Heavy elements, rare earths, and other materials in amounts that would be unheard of in any normal star system. Sure, all of it is slowly plunging towards the surface of Iris and will impact with in the next million years, and the whole system is heavy with radiation. but there are untold riches awaiting harvest and processing.

Last edited:
Humanity is tenacious.

Humans don't NEED comfort to thrive. In fact, the tougher the conditions, often the tougher the people. If the Iris system were populated, it would likely be miners and resource extraction drones.

And if you want rare resources to be in Iris, guess what - we have a system set up for that. That's what the SP will be for. We'll revisit the rules on that when we get there.

Just curious - what is the final star that you wanted to place in your post above?

Edit: When you have your second star for phase 2 selected, please do not edit your "orders" post with this new info.

Hmm, 20CP short of what I wanted… ah well, new plans.
0613a-80CP 4-star cluster
Zuse- Brightest star of the cluster.
Hera - close Binary pair to Zuse. Smallest of the stars, and close enough for Zuse to strip hydrogen from. Expected to go nova in 20-30 million years.
Poseidon- A distant partner to the zuse-hera pair. Mid sized star.
Hades - Dim but still visible star at the extreme edge of the system.
Systems to focus for phase 2:
1: Eris-Discord binary pair.
2: Iris

Twias Iris, just wanted to make sure about it before I selected it.

Please note CP are not meant to rollover between phases. With this being the last turn of phase I, any unspent or banked CP will be spent placing randomly chosen stars.

Top Bottom