Pre-thread: This world is yours 2: Solspace

Orders
40 CP
20 CP - 1307d - New Kuwait. Prefer a white dwarf
20 CP - 1307a - New Beijing. Prefer a blue giant

Orders: erez

50 CP

20 CP - 1821e - Koala - small Star
20 CP - 2012c - Register - small Star (named after hardware part)
10 CP - 0503b - Irregular Nebula - for its irregular shape.

2 systems to detail:
Olympus
Clyde

PHASE I TURN 10

Spoiler STARMAP :

OLYMPUS OMEGA - LAST OLYMPUS

0503b - Irregular Nebula
The Irregular Nebula was named for its irregular shape. When viewed from Earth, a chance accident has given the nebula sharp 90 degree angles. It is believed to be a natural phenomena.
A nebula is a distinct luminescent part of interstellar medium, which can consist of ionized, neutral or molecular hydrogen and also cosmic dust.

0613a-A - Zeus
Zeus is the largest star in the Olympus Omega system. It is red giant, nearly outshining all others in the system. Zeus is named for the greek deity of the same name. "That Zeus is king in heaven is a saying common to all men." Zeus was the king of the gods in ancient Greek religion and ruled from Mt Olympus. He was the patron of hospitality and guests.
A low-to-medium mass star in a late phase of stellar evolution, a red giant has exhausted the supply of hydrogen in its core and switched to hydrogen fusion in a shell around the now helium core instead. While the star itself is huge, the outer envelope has a lower temperature, giving the star its characteristic hue.

0613a-B - Hera
Hera is a tiny red dwarf, and was likely a gas giant orbiting Zeus at a comfortable distance before the latter went supernova. The expansion of Zeus into a red giant has slowly been siphoning hydrogen and other lighter gases off of Hera for millenia.
A class M main sequence star, small and exceedingly common. These relatively cool stars often mass only a fraction of Old Earth's sun.

0613a-C - Poseidon
Poseidon is the second brightest object in the Olympus Omega system. Zeus and Poseidon have an elongated orbital relationship, and the two binary pairs orbit eachother every 1000 or so Earth years. In Greek mythology, Poseidon was the God of the Sea and master of the Winds.
B-class giant stars typically range from 10,000 K to 25,000 K and are also bluish white but show neutral helium lines. Post-main sequence stars such as the OB-class supergiants are extremely luminous and hot.

0613a-D - Hades
Hades is a tiny star born within 3 AU of its larger cousin, Poseidon. The pair are in the process of merging and will be complete in the next hundred thousand years, as Hades slowly dims into a dark nothingness.
A class M main sequence star, small and exceedingly common. These relatively cool stars often mass only a fraction of Old Earth's sun.

0812b - Biaora
Biaora was named for a religiously significant city on the Indian subcontinent. It was identified as a star in the late 1640s by an astronomer lost to history. It is a common, elderly red Dwarf.

0814b - Erol
Erol is a red giant in the Janus constellation. Erol is Turkish in origin; it means strong or noble.
A low-to-medium mass star in a late phase of stellar evolution, a red giant has exhausted the supply of hydrogen in its core and switched to hydrogen fusion in a shell around the now helium core instead. While the star itself is huge, the outer envelope has a lower temperature, giving the star its characteristic hue.

0915c - Sarauth
Sarauth was named for an ancient Caliph sometime in the long-forgotten past. It is an extremely hot and luminous star, often referenced for celestial navigation in the dawn of seafaring.
B-class giant stars typically range from 10,000 K to 25,000 K and are also bluish white but show neutral helium lines. Post-main sequence stars such as the OB-class supergiants are extremely luminous and hot.

1208a - Tikka Bali
Tikkabali is a red dwarf visible between the Cixin and Enoch constellations. It is invisible to the naked eye.

1208d - Tikka Nebula
The Tikka Nebula was named for the Babylonian King. It is considered part of the Cixin constellation.
A nebula is a distinct luminescent part of interstellar medium, which can consist of ionized, neutral or molecular hydrogen and also cosmic dust.

1307a - New Beijing
New Beijing is visible between the Cixin and Enoch constellations. It was named for the disastrous expeditionary force sponsored in part by the Kuwati Space Corporation. It is around 23 lightyears from Earth.
A K-type main-sequence star, also referred to as a K-type dwarf or an orange dwarf, is a main-sequence (hydrogen-burning) star of spectral type K and luminosity class V. These stars are intermediate in size between red M-type main-sequence stars ("red dwarfs") and yellow/white G-type main-sequence stars.

1307d - New Kuwait
New Kuwait is visible between the Cixin and Enoch constellations. It was named for the disastrous expeditionary force sponsored by the Kuwati Space Corporation. It is around 20 lightyears from Earth.
A G2 type primary sequence star, estimated age is five billion years. Surface temperature is only about six thousand degrees, while core temperature could well exceed fifteen million degrees.

1404d - Anjou
Anjou is one of God's failed experiments, a dwindling star left to die a cold death in the deep vacuum.
Unlike stars, older brown dwarfs are sometimes cool enough that, over very long periods of time, their atmospheres can gather observable quantities of methane which cannot form in hotter objects.

1714c - Van Ypren's Star
Van Ypren's Star was named for a fictional German castletown from 16th century Shakespearean comedy Love's Labours Lost - Again.

1821e-B - Koala
Koala is a red dwarf in the Terrors constellation. It is the older and smaller binary partner to Quoll, a middle-aged star. It was named in 1878 after a small marsupial of the same name. It wasn't until 1892 that the Royal Academy of Astrography in London put two and two together, but by then, the damage was done.

2012c - Regis Star
Regis' Star was named in the 12th century AD for a Germanic king who claimed the title Regis. Unfortunately, his given name was stricken from the history books for unknown reasons, and Regis' Star is all that remains.
The beginning of the end for most stars, the white dwarf was once a red giant not massive enough to fuse carbon. Extremely dense and slowly radiating away its heat as it no longer undergoes fusion reactions, its volume is supported against gravitational collapse only by electron degeneracy pressure.

PLAYERBASE CP2d6 CPBANKED CPTOTAL CPPOGSSP
TerrisH2060261
Erez872070270.5-0.5=01
Eltain2050251
Traveller762090291
NinjaCow64201003011

OOC: I renamed Register as Regis Star, from the Latin for Kings Star.

NinjaCow, as we cannot bank this turn, I spent your CP on Erol, Anjou and Van Ypren.

Systems chosen for Phase IIa:

hex cellsystemspectral classification
0808aPentasM-class Red Giant
0809fIrisNeutron Star
0813a-AErisF-class yellow-white star
0813a-BDiscordB-class blue-white main sequence star
1011a-AOlympusM-class Red Dwarf
1011a-BPelionM-class Red Dwarf
1204aQiufanM-class Red Dwarf
2220dClydeK-class orange dwarf

These are considered "active" and we can now spend CP on placing planets and etc in the systems.

I will post the images of the star systems sans planets shortly. Please review the rules on page 1 regarding PHASE II pricing and items.

I'm really sorry I'm going to have to drop this I was really enjoying it but I don't think my brain and my overly busy life can keep up with a fast-updating game such as this :(

Okay, that's alright!
Thanks for playing - you're always welcome back.

Everyone who is still participating - add 7 to your banked CP for this turn.

I will likely post the solar system maps tomorrow night.

Preview of system maps and an inquiry.

Spoiler SYSTEM MAPS :

These systems don't exist in our game universe and are merely examples.
Click the links to zoom in.

Spoiler JERUSALEM :

https://i.imgur.com/GcAJY4X.png
Jerusalem is a fairly human-compatible system with a G-class yellow star and a terran world within a reasonable range.

Spoiler SKERITH :

https://i.imgur.com/M5uLr5S.png
Skerith is a red giant with dead or toxic worlds. The second planet, Tangaroa, spews hot methane and magma from its shattered crust but is rich in valuable heavy metals and has surface deposits of gold, lead and thorium.

Spoiler VALHALA :

https://i.imgur.com/lKRsEkp.png
Valhala is a K-class main sequence orange star, near the same temperature and size as Sol. It has an orbiting binary red dwarf, Ragnar. The system is heavily populated, and the third moon of the second planet is an icey planet habitable to humans.

Spoiler SOL :

https://i.imgur.com/zgdqmsI.png
Sol is your typical main sequence G-class star. However, it has a water-rich planet in the goldilocks zone with the perfect axial tilt to give 4 distinct seasons of varying temperature. It is the birthplace of humanity.

I like the style and size of the maps above but don't know how to represent larger systems with distant binary pairs of approximately the same size - EG Eris or Olympus Omega (Zeus, et al). These seem like they could all independently hold planets in their orbit, but that would be easier to demonstrate in "separate" system maps.
Thoughts?

Resolved binaries/trinaries

Olympus is two closely orbiting red dwards - straight forward with this map style
Tyr - same
Nazca could be fairly straight-forward - a blue giant with a red dwarf orbiting outside the "planetary" system ALA Valhala, above
Romus - same
Janus, the same - a close, tiny carbon dwarf orbiting a red giant with an orange dwarf orbiting outside the "planetary" system

hmmm. What would a gas giant that had most of its outer layers removed by a super nova be? Still set it up as a gas giant(with a note that it’s no longer giant). Or purchase it as a terestial world? Or a dwarf world? Hmm. I’ll prep orders tomorrow as there is a fair bit of narrative writing I want to do with building the iris system.

If a binary system stars are more than 1 light year apart (oort cloud distance) they might as well be two separate systems. Probably even much less.

Olympus and Pelion should be extremely close to each other (like 3 days orbits around each other close), making it simple to put planets around them. And probably increasing the habitable zone size?

hmmm. What would a gas giant that had most of its outer layers removed by a super nova be? Still set it up as a gas giant(with a note that it’s no longer giant). Or purchase it as a terestial world? Or a dwarf world? Hmm. I’ll prep orders tomorrow as there is a fair bit of narrative writing I want to do with building the iris system.
It could be stripped of atmosphere and have active volcanoes due to tectonic activity involved with sudden increase in gravitic pressure from the star. Or after the atmosphere was stripped, it could have all the gas and dust that settled on the surface superheated until it became glass. It could turn into a proto-star, burning its own atmosphere and transferring to the main star. Space is crazy.

If a binary system stars are more than 1 light year apart (oort cloud distance) they might as well be two separate systems. Probably even much less.
I might have "distant" pairs have separate maps, I think that is the most simple route.

Olympus and Pelion should be extremely close to each other (like 3 days orbits around each other close), making it simple to put planets around them. And probably increasing the habitable zone size?
The goldilocks zone might move but i doubt it'll get bigger.

Interesting read. So maybe not 3 day orbit, maybe like 20 day orbit.

Im not sure dead gas giants could become terrestrial planets as they are mostly just hydrogen balloons that aren’t big enough to be stars, they don’t have the solid crust of terrestrial planets, or much of the material to make one.

Interesting read. So maybe not 3 day orbit, maybe like 20 day orbit.

Im not sure dead gas giants could become terrestrial planets as they are mostly just hydrogen balloons that aren’t big enough to be stars, they don’t have the solid crust of terrestrial planets, or much of the material to make one.
Good read, thanks for sharing. In game terms, initially the goldilocks zone was based on the relative temperature of each spectral class (the colder the star, the closer the range). This may be changed based on updated information, will keep you updated.

According to this (and what I may or may not accurate recall from school), I think it is safe to say that some gas giants might have elements such as nickel or iron which would harden if/when they cool and/or the extreme pressures of the gas layers were removed. Thus, following the Rule of Cool, you can write what you want, within reason.

Remember, though, RNG plays a big part of the game at the moment.

Links to active system maps for PHASE IIa TURN 1

https://i.imgur.com/1Kccukx.png Pentas system
https://i.imgur.com/mcA9nRd.png Iris
https://i.imgur.com/NuVVqzh.png Eris (Discord will come later)
https://i.imgur.com/UWe5li4.png Olympus Alpha
https://i.imgur.com/9WFW3XI.png Qiufan
https://i.imgur.com/eQTc194.png Clyde

Non-active example:
https://i.imgur.com/zgdqmsI.png

Sol
Please refer to the front page for prices and items.
When placing items, please specify the hex cell, system name and orbital position, like this:

12 CP: 1111c Sol 13: Gas Giant, Uranus
5 CP: 1111c Sol 13a: Planetoid moon, Ariel

Note that while Uranus is the 7th planet, for simplicity of communication, please refer to the orbital position where you want to place it. When the system is completed, the planets will be tallied and numbered "Sol VII," etc.
Please name any planets that may be important. I understand that we have 83 systems to populate, so it will be hard to give unique names to every single planet. Some will simply be "Sol VIIa" until they become important to the story.
Also note that SP will not roll over into the next set of active systems.

I will plan to update everything on the 23rd or 30th. Because of the timing, I will wait until the 30th if not everyone has had the opportunity to participate by the 23rd.

Thanks and have fun!

Last edited:
Edit: There is no habitable zone surrounding Iris. I will remove it when I update the image.

Phase II

Spoiler :

Point gain
Each turn 10 cp + 2d6 cp
Each phase 1 sp

Prices
ObjectCost in CPDefinitionNote
Planet - Terrestrial10A relatively small planet with a solid core and rocky crust. Terrestrial planets typically have sufficient gravity to retain an atmosphere of varying density and composition.Diameter (mass), hydrosphere, biosphere, volcanism and temperature are determined by many factors including RNG. Specify what class you want and the results will shift towards that class on the RNG table. This can be influenced by spending after initial creation. In general, objects nearer the star are hotter and any liquids might evaporate, and likewise any objects farther from the star are cold and liquids may freeze.
Planet - Jovian12A large planet of relatively low density consisting predominantly of hydrogen and helium.
Planetoid - Dwarf5A relatively small planet with a solid core and rocky crust. Dwarf planets do not have sufficient gravity to sustain any significant atmosphere, but they have enough mass to become a spheroid.
Comet -2A comet does not have sufficient mass or gravity to self-acrete into a spheroid. It is also too small to retain any kind of atmosphere.Set a comet on a collision course with an existing body - alter 1 aspect of the target - mass, hydrosphere, biosphere, volcanism, orbit????
Planetoid - Moon5A planetoid orbiting a planet primary. Primaries might have zero to many moons.Moons must be at least 2 classes smaller than the primary that it will orbit.
Asteroid belt3An asteroid belt is a region of space occupied by millions of asteroids. Some dwarf planets reside here. Everything in the asteroid belt revolves around the primary star.
Special Resource12, 1 special pointSpecial resources are placed now but serve no function until phase IV.

SPECIAL RESOURCESDefinitionNotes
ENERGYPassive energy income
MINERALSPassive mineral income
FOODPassive food income
RARE MINERALSPassive rare minerals incomeThese metals have unusual fluorescent, conductive, or magnetic properties—which make them very useful when alloyed, or mixed, in small quantities with more common minerals such as iron.
HYPERMATTERPassive hypermatter income. Can only be found in Gas GiantsThis matter is refined into hyperfuel, which is consumed in interstellar travel

Just quoting this bit for reference
------
33CP to spend
Spoiler spending :

10CP Terestrial planet (Iris 5) "Lens"
-3CP Astaroid belt (Iris 5) "Ciliary" belt
--12CP 1SP (Minerals, or Rare Minerals)
3CP astaroid belt (Iris 0-1) "Cornea" belt
5CP dwarf planet (Iris 2) "Pupil"

"Lens" is a molten ball of rock that is slowly consolidating out of a "Ciliary" belt of debris orbiting Iris. This process is not likely to be completed (est. 20-30K years) before its orbit decays enough that it is ripped apart by Iris. (est. 15-16K years).
"Ciliary" asteroid belt. Sharing an orbital path with "Lens", Ciliary is believed to be the remains of a once life bearing super earth that orbited Iris before its supernova. This is due to a small amount of plant fossils recovered during mining operation.
This belt is Extremely rich in all sorts of heavier elements on the periodic table, often in deposits that are larger than anything found elsewhere. There are several asteroids of Uranium and other radioactive elements that are large enough to currently be undergoing fission, their surfaces glowing with heat and radiation. There are rich city-sized deposits of nickel. Apartment building sized deposits of silver and tin. House sized deposits of gold and Mercury. And any and everything in between.
It is these deposits that have brought human civilization to Iris, despite heavy radiation and constant risk of micro-meteorites, along with smaller deposits in the many other belts that litter the system. It is these deposits that feed the industrial heart of Sol.

the "Cornea" belt is a stream of debris that is currently falling onto Iris's surface. The last of it is expected to impact the neutrons stars surface in around 2k years. It is also known as the "Gold-death belt" due to and unusually large gold-bearring astaroid that was found within it. All attempts to mine said asteroid have resulted in the death of those that attempted it.

"Pupil" is a small dwarf planetoid in a highly unstable orbit around Iris. It is expected to either impact Iris or get ejected from the system some time in the next 200 years.

-----
Plans for the system:
1 more gas giant "Macula" at (Iris 17). Or rather, the slowly unraveling remains of a gas-giant. Explosion did not quite kill it, but it lost enough mass that it can't fully keep its atmosphere. Which is slowly lowering its mass, letting more atmosphere bleed off. Rinse and repeat. Eventually, in 50k-100k years, it will be reduced to a very small dwarf planetoid with no atmosphere. But that's beyond the scope of the game.

Beyond that, add a few more asteroid belts/dwarf planetoids, with what spare CP I have from developing other systems.

Lens-Ciliary is basically a Proto-planet that is still clearing its orbit of debris. But will be eaten by Iris before it can.

Last edited:
2220D Clyde System K-class orange dwarf
29 CP 1 SP

10 CP Clyde 5 Planet - Terrestrial "Iwatani"
5 CP Clyde 5 Planetoid Moon "Kimagure"
12 CP Clyde 9 Planet - Jovian "Nakamura"
2 CP Clyde 11 Comet - "Machibuse"

Nice contributions so far, team.

@Terris, I applied the rare minerals resource to Lens instead of the Ciliary belt. This is because, in "game turns", only planetoids (terrestrial, dwarf, jovian) (mars, ceres, jupiter as examples) produce "resources".

Each planetoid has 1 "owner" who has resource extraction rights. With a colony it is easier to project your sphere of influence over the actual resources themselves. Whereas a belt is a system-spanning mass of billions of miles of spinning rocks, it would be extremely difficult to project power over the entire belt. Especially because "class I colonies" are literally 100-999 workers.

I could possibly change this if persuaded ... everyone is free to chime in if they feel strongly.

@Traveller, a comet is intended as a gamey "mechanic" to alter existing objects. See a barren rock? Want to make it a volcanic hellhole? Hurl a comet at it.

If you want a tiny, comet-sized permanent object, you might purchase a dwarf planet and specify your size preference to be comet-like.

I'll bank those 2 CP for now.

@All:

I am moving house in July and actually, this part of the game is more time-consuming than I anticipated, really. So for the time being we'll switch to 2 weeks between updates.

Thanks everybody, have a good weekend.

@Terris, I applied the rare minerals resource to Lens instead of the Ciliary belt. This is because, in "game turns", only planetoids (terrestrial, dwarf, jovian) (mars, ceres, jupiter as examples) produce "resources".

Each planetoid has 1 "owner" who has resource extraction rights. With a colony it is easier to project your sphere of influence over the actual resources themselves. Whereas a belt is a system-spanning mass of billions of miles of spinning rocks, it would be extremely difficult to project power over the entire belt. Especially because "class I colonies" are literally 100-999 workers.
That works quite well. The belt would still be the source of the extracted resources, but the colony one/around Lens is where everyone gose to buy and sell it, along with housing the non-minning stuff, such as entertainment district, medical facilities, and shipyards to maintain/build the miners ships. Thus it's the only colony in the inner system, mechanics wise.
I was planing for there to only be two colonies in total in the system anyway. One at/around Lens, as the hub of the mining efforts, and a much smaller one near the outer gas giant, which would amount to a giant warehouse for Interstellar ships to park and trade goods, well away from the more dangerous inner portions of the system that they (and most other non-Iris built ships) are not designed for.

Oh thank you for the extra time!!

27CP 1SP
Olympus Alpha
12CP Olympus Alpha 5 - Planet Jovian - Olympus-a - a very large Jovian planet that migrated from further away in the system.
3CP Olympus Alpha 3 - Asteroid Belt - As Olympus a migrated, it pushed on an asteroid belt to also migrate closer to the twin stars.
12CP Olympus Alpha 11 - Planet Jovian - Olympus-b - A large Jovian planet which formation probably pushed on Olympus-a and caused its migration from the edge of the frost line to deep inside the inner system.

Olympus Alpha had more planets (I will probably add one more outer Jovian planet and maybe some dwarves, and considering a single terrestrial at 1 that survived) but as the huge Olympus-a migrated deep into the inner system it caused destruction in it, losing most terrestrial planets that existed (some of each may have been sent out the system, on a weird oval orbit, or caught by it as a moon). Olympus-a should be super Jovian, orbiting two red stars left quite a bit of material for its formation as the first planet in the system.

I'm considering one moon of Olympus-a to maybe be a water-moon, and habitable.

bank 1SP

When is the new due date?

Top Bottom