• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Island of the Three Legged Sicilians -- A Death & Taxes EU3 AAR

Any plans with Greece? Are those provinces actually helping you right now, or are they just dead weight?

Thanks Heretic Cata.

Dutchfire: I'm gonna start romping around the Mediterranean so my Greek provinces will serve as a launching point for my operations in the Balkans region.

------------------------

OOC: I've been battling the stomach flu the last few days, so pardon my delay...

------------------------

For the first five years, nothing happened. But then I get an unfortunate event.

Fortunately, I get a new heir shortly thereafter, not like my prestige is low enough to suffice a personal union if my king were to die heirless.

The Greek provinces also become cores (finally). As I mentioned earlier, they'll serve as launch points for various excursions in and around the Balkan area.

Unfortunately, after coring the Greek provinces, those icky people form a large enough minority that I have to accept them. Ugh.

With enough cash, and a stable economy, I decide to start sending merchants to Genoa (I'm part of the Genoese trading league). After a bit they start netting me some benefits.

Quickly, they corner the market, netting me a large sum of money, my trading adviser guy says.

Mo centralization, mo problems.

I haven't seen this event before. I get research points at the expense of a small amount of prestige. Color me interested.

Meanwhile, the Umbrians in Abruzzi have become enlightened and have embraced Sicilian ways.

So Austria invites me to the Hungarian gang bang. I accept.

Don't expect Hungary to become much of a threat in this game.

In interesting sightings, the Muslim Sultan of Jerusalem, Godfrey II.

Mo free subjects, mo problems.

And more nothing happens until 1425!

Of course I then noticed their conquests in Italy and Greece, but the first thing that caught my eye was "Oh, look, the Balaeres (or however you spell it) are being fought over" :p

Chapter 8!

In Palermo, I can pass probably one of the best decisions in the game. My god is it awesome. Much improved production, trade, and tax incomes, and reduced riot chance! I think the only prerequisite is Government tech 10 or something.

I move my slider towards free subjects once more, fetching another inflation reduction.

Leopoldo II dies, being replaced by the very able Ferdinando II d'Ivrea. Long live the king!

You can tell nothing is happening when there's only one image between slider moves. Now, since I have a reasonable ability to trade, I'm going to move my sliders towards free trade.

Now, I can get National Bank. It's pretty awesome.

The era of Pax Sicilica has ended. Our people are more eager than ever to expand Sicily's patrimony. No longer do the nations of the world view southern Italy as a backwater region. Science, the arts, and commerce have arisen on top of the foundation of the d'Ivrea regime. Sicily is becoming a major player in the Mediterranean and the world at large. Alliances with powers such as Austria and royal marriages with many of the major houses have elevated the d'Ivreas to one of the most illustrious houses in Europe. Hence, we, as a nation, must ensure our legacy lives on. There is no better way than to expand her borders, and Ferdinando II agrees fully. A skilled administrator and diplomat, he has the skills to guide Sicily in her adolescence to become a mighty empire.

------

OOC: I'll be going back to school which means I'll be separated from EU3. But as you can probably guess, I've played way past this point. I have a few updates waiting in the wings that I'll post maybe every 5-7 days. This should get me close to my spring break in March wherein I can play more/do more.

Glad this story is going to continue. Sounds like a pretty chill time of Pax Sicilia.

Is it just me or is National Bank rather overpowered there? It's already arguably the best idea in vanilla with just +0.10 inflation reduction. The lower interest as an effect does rather make sense, but I don't think that NI needed to be buffed. (Side question: If you also hire a banker, can you take loans at negative inflation?)

madviking Records presents... Chinese Sicilian Democracy!

Chapter 9 - Reign of Ferdinando II d'Ivrea

After an extended slumber, Ferdinando II d'Ivrea awoke.

He received news dispatched from Rome that Sicilian armies were gloriously successful in subjugating the Pope and his Papal States.

The bad news was that Urbinese armies currently occupied the province of Abruzzi. Hence, the great generals of the Kingdom of Sicily needed to submit the Urbinese scum, a task easier done than said.

Next, God told Ferdinando II d'Ivrea to bring some style and class to those poor, worthless Greeks living in Achaea.

After wiping away the Urbinese armies, Ferdinando II d'Ivrea turned his attention to across the Strait of Otranto.

Unfortunately, Achaea had a well built up set of alliances and guarantees, which would make this war more difficult to complete.

The subjugating Achaea wasn't nearly as difficult as fending off Milan and the Byzantine Empire.

First of the coalition defeated was Aquileia, whom we also vassalized.

A slightly unfavorable peace treaty was brokered with Venice, but it was worth the price since Venice was the leader of the coalition, and hence the war was over.

Next on the rejuvenated Ferdinando II d'Ivrea's subjugation list was those pesky Urbinese, whom have always been a thorn at our sides.

However, Ferdinando II tabled aside the Urbinese subjugation in favor of some domestic reforms. Namely, the finance minister wrote some proposed reforms to the Sicilian financial system, which would greatly improve the long term health of our economy.

However, the great energy Ferdinando II exhibited would be paid for with a sudden death, twenty years after ascending the throne of Sicily. His son, Martino, was a slothful and imbecilic pile of meat of a man, with no great skills nor energies. However, due to the death of his father, had to assume responsibilities of the Realm.

Chapter 10 - The Unfortunate Life and Times of Martino I

At a somber court meeting, the top lords and ladies of the realm joined the courtiers at Ferdinando II d'Ivrea's funeral. The top historians assembled earlier to honor Ferdinando II with the epithet, 'the Magnanimous', for his noble spirit and energy. Curiously absent was his son, the current King of Sicily, Martino I d'Ivrea.

Martino I was both sickly in terms of physical and mental health. His tutors deemed him an imbecile for his greatly ******ed learning development. However, being the eldest son of Ferdinando II 'the Magnanimous' d'Ivrea, he assumed the throne. His brother, Carlo d'Ivrea, duke of Apulia, was the heir apparent now.

Despite all of Martino I d'Ivrea's shortcomings, he was blessed with a fantastic court which more-or-less delegated the day-to-day actions of the Monarchy, which eased the transition from the end of Ferdinando's rule to the beginning of Martino's.

The first action done was to complete Martino's father's ambition of subjugating the pesky Urbinese.

However, the Urbinese possessed a cherished alliance with Milan, whom, other than the Kingdom of Sicily, were the most powerful state in Italy. Nevertheless, the Monarchy's military strategists felt confident in being able to secure favorable terms with the scummy Milanese.

Being of ill mental health, a liberal education was out of the question, and being of ill physical shape, the martial arts were never taught to young Martino. However, the lad did possess a relatively keen understanding for tactics, making him a capable commander of his troops.

Martino I d'Ivrea's first major engagement was the July 18th, 1454 Battle of Abruzzi, which pitted 27,000 Sicilian troops against almost 25,000 Milanese troops, commanded by the Milanese king Gian Galeazzo I Visconti. However, the familiar territory was a boon for the Sicilians, and were able to slaughter a great number of Milanese troops and Gian Galeazzo I's troops were in full retreat.

Twelve days later, Martino I and his troops surround the Milanese army in the region of Perugia. However, Gian Galeazzo I Visconti was able to escape by way of sailboat back to Milan. Hence the commanding general present was nothing more than a pawn of Gian Galeazzo's.

Martino I's court seized the opportunity to shape the Kingdom's domestic policies by relaxing the trade restrictions imposed on the nation's merchants. As a result, a merchant in Napoli gained great renown for his craft, and was summoned by the Monarchy to become a courtier.

Meanwhile, the generals on the troop produced win after win, which allowed the Kingdom to obtain an extremely favorable treaty with the scummy Milanese, which netted the territories of Perugia and Pisa to the Crown.

It would be ironic that under an imbecile king that Sicily attained her highest wealth and prestige. But the military victories of Ferdinando II were able to set up a glorification of the Sicilian state.

However, the nation's infamy, due to the seizure of Perugia and Pisa had grown high. To combat this rise in infamy, an embassy was commissioned in Pisa to improve relations with the neighboring Italian princely states.

The Sicilian state could next annex the neighboring Kingdom of Modena, which bordered on the boundary with the newly patriated territory of Pisa.

Not soon thereafter, however, the thuggish Bohemian Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire formally request the release of the territory of Pisa, despite the great distance that separated Prague from Pisa. Hence, the Kingdom refused the Emperor's request, at a slight expense of prestige and stability of the Kingdom.

As a result, the Kingdom rescinded the Imperial privileges of Pisa.

However, not much time later, Martino I's frailty caught up with him and caused him to pass away early, after a reign of only five years. However, Carlo II d'Ivrea was everything Martino wasn't. A gifted administrator and diplomat, Carlo II was both gregarious and socially competent and already wed (no one wished to wed Martino I due to his sickly frame). Everybody in Napoli knew that Carlo II d'Ivrea would be an able man and would led Sicily to great fame and wealth.

Glad this story is going to continue. Sounds like a pretty chill time of Pax Sicilia.

Is it just me or is National Bank rather overpowered there? It's already arguably the best idea in vanilla with just +0.10 inflation reduction. The lower interest as an effect does rather make sense, but I don't think that NI needed to be buffed. (Side question: If you also hire a banker, can you take loans at negative inflation?)

Yea, I don't really understand why D&T buffed National Bank. To be fair, I've never taken out a loan so the loan bonus is just peanuts.

Chapter 11 - Reign of Carlo II d'Ivrea

After the premature death of his brother, now known as Martino I 'the Simple', Carlo II ascended to the throne with Sicily being one of the richest and most prestigious kingdom in all of Europe. Despite all the majesty, Carlo II d'Ivrea was still driven to reform the monarchy.

After six years of peace, Carlo II made his first mark. He continued the loosening of trade restrictions as started in his brother's reign.

After vassalizing Modena, Carlo II d'Ivrea turned his attention back to Greece, where several inroads had been made in securing peace and stability on the Greek peninsula. Venice nominally controlled the islands of Naxos, but were ineffectual at governing them. Carlo II sensed an opportunity to seize the islands and incorporate them into the Duchy of Grecia.

Moreover, the skilled Sicilian diplomats were able to fabricate some documents which ensured that Naxos was part of our patrimony, along with Edessa and Romagna. Recovering these territories would give Carlo II d'Ivrea much to do, as they were controlled by Venice, the Byzantine Empire, and Milan, respectively.

Firstly, Carlo II had to finish recovering Naxos.

But as part of the coalition, the Florentine capital was occupied and annexed by Sicilian troops. However, this act caused Sicily to gain much infamy.

Shortly thereafter, peace was attained with Venice.

A few months later, a skilled painter was seen in Naples named Sandro Botticelli. He asked the King for patronage to continue painting his masterpieces. However, the King was in no position to offer patronage, as the Kingdom had more pressing matters at hand.

Several more years passed and it time once again to reform the mercantile laws of Sicily, once again loosening trade laws. Trade was flourishing in the Sicilian capital.

Meanwhile, it was also time for the Kingdom to adopt a new ideal. Carlo II d'Ivrea, ashamed at letting such a young talent in Sandro Botticelli go, decided to create a comprehensive artist patronage program, benefiting the culture and the prestige of the Kingdom.

It was also time to annex some of the vassals that were gained in the subjugation wars fought in the last 50 years. The Duchy of Rome, the former Papal States, was the first to be annexed.

However, this annexation caused Catholics all over Europe, and Italy in particular, to be upset at the loss of the Holy Pontiff. However, Carlo II d'Ivrea was steadfast in securing the lands in and around Rome for his Sicilian Kingdom. This would begin the long decline of relations between the Sicilian Kingdom and the Catholic Church.

With the loss of the Roman Papal States, a successor Papal State was established in Strassburg.

Due to the horrid relations between Carlo II and the Pope, Carlo II declared the Statute in Restraint of Appeals, which promoted him to the supreme religious authority in the Sicilian Kingdom.

One of the promising traders created by the freeing of trade, Pietro de Podio, was so skilled, that he was able to become one of the greatest economics advisers the Kingdom had ever had.

Carlo II d'Ivrea turned his attention back to reforming the Church, passing the Act of Uniformity and Dissolving the Monasteries, the latter of which netted the Kingdom a large tax increase.

The very same day, January 11, 1483, Carlo II also passed the Advancement of Religion Act and instituted new church taxes.

However, the great reforms instituted by Carlo II d'Ivrea came to an abrupt end with his death in 1483. His son, Martino II d'Ivrea, would come to succeed him.

This is the greatest day of my life.

What's great is that I forgot about the start of the AAR, so it's like I had multiple updates in a single day!

These things always make me want to play this game even though the other times I've tried I wasn't able to quite figure it out. An awesome read though!

Top Bottom