End of Empires - N3S III

Thunder boomed, announcing her arrival with grandeur.

It was with a loud, reverberating clatter that the arc crashed its way across the sky, lighting the world briefly in a spectacularly vulgar flash. Just a brief second later, the world was taken by a sudden onslaught of pouring rain, thundering down, as if some great damn had buckled high in the sky.

The young-looking man gave a sigh of relief, glancing through the thin, translucent walling material to the outside world. A thin smile was rooted onto his boyish face, casting him passive and non-threatening. His hair was dark as the raven’s feathers, long and flowing to his shoulders without knot or tangle. In a voice that trembled with poise, the man spoke aloud to the room. “The late rains have come late” He mused.

A spattering of chortles emanated with the tightly closed lips of the room’s court. Half of a dozen men, along with three women scattered amongst them, sat seated along the front wall. Each sat upon the floor with their legs tucked delicately beneath them, remaining in an immobile position. All were dressed in a similar fashion, wearing simple cloth dyed of a plain color, matching the visualization of their liege, wrapped around their figures in modest means.

A quick rapping, three blows upon the wall material, emanated from the rear of the room. The youthful man cast a look over his shoulder, glancing towards the direction of the sound, before giving an immediate response. “Enter.” He called, swerving on his feet to face the door.

The door was pulled backwards and a thick head of black hair, worn up in the shape of knot, appeared from behind the visage. “Tebtai?” The word stumbled out into the stillness of the room, and the man who uttered it lifted his head to peer at his liege. “Tebtai the Lady has arrived.” He continued, quickly dropping his head once more to the floor.

The man bore a quick smile upon his thin lips. He spoke again, this time letting his words draw out in an unrushed manner. “Very well, kohkot, see her to my chambers. I will be along shortly”. He commanded, gracing the servant- the kohkot- with a nod of permission to leave. The eunuch hurried the door back to its place, sealing the room once more. The tebtai glanced back to his court, turning to face them with a slight twist of his feet. “My friends, I ask your forgiveness. It seems I have an appointment with the White Lady.” He grinned widely for the first, showing off pale teeth. Without awaiting a response, the young man strode across the room and exited from a second door, straight across the room.

The halls were narrow beyond the door, though still composed of the same thin, almost-see through material. They twisted, turned, and climbed effortlessly as the tebtai made his way through their interiors with a precision that could only come from an experienced guide. Finally, after walking for what seemed to be an excess amount of time, the man came upon a final door, and pulled it open. The door slid ajar quietly, gliding along the worn groove without fuss.

Inside, a lone figure waited, dressed in apparent opposition to her title. Her clothes, unlike the ones worn by the court and the tebtai were cast from the softest material and shimmered in the candlelight. They were of a murky pitch, darkened with dye from the northern tribes. Yet, the darkness of her cloth helped to highlight the contrast to her skin, a seemingly brilliant pale whiteness that echoed of the moon and served as the source of her title. “My Lady.” The tebtai bowed before her, kissing the pale flesh of her hand with a flourish. “It was grace that allowed your arrival before the storm’s,” he returned to a standing height and motioned to a pair of reclined cushions on a side of the room “yet I believe you must be worn. Shall we sit?”

“Yes”. She whispered with a smile upon her faint face. She walked with the tebtai, moving gracefully, as the pair made their way to the seats. “Ama, it gives me abundant joy to see you in such good health. I am glad the stress of such an office does not wear heavily upon you.” Her voice echoed in the small room in the same way that a breeze of wind may echo through a corridor.

Ama nodded, returning her kind gesture. “It is with pleasure that I receive you, holy one. Please do not take this to seem discourteous, Mongke, but what brings you to Eirat? It is a long journey for one to take in these late seasons, and even longer one for one who comes in the face of the winds.”

This elicited a small laugh from the Mongke. “I figured I should come and see this place for myself.” She motioned around her, towards the walls and ceiling. “I figured that if you should suffer within its confines, then I should at least make myself available for your misery. But I have come for no reason other than to see that cause through. ” She gave a small wink to the tebtai before a second later giving another small laugh. “Well, there is some untruth in that. I have come to beggar before you once more.”

Ama joined in her mirth, his laughter free and unrestrained for once. “From your speech I assume you have come to collect funds to see more tribes adhering to the keram?”

“Yes.” She gave a small teasing laugh. “The work of the holy is never complete, and we must make sure that all in oyulun have access to worship.”

“Very well, Mongke. I will see what can be dedicated to such a noble cause.” The tebtai laughed and called for the kohkot to enter once more.

Outside, illuminated by the grace of lightening, the rain continued to fall.

Awful; but first time I've posted anything in a long time. Forgiveness will be sought one day.

Prince Taexi of the Wind, Guardian of the Einan,
From Bulugu, Tebtai of the Great Tribes.

I do not claim these men you seek to lay at my feet.

Your allegations fall far from truth, and the assertion that I would concern myself with the affairs of tribes outside the oyulun are malicious. You are lord in your lands- let you reconcile this that ails you. You seek blood? Very well, have the head of every man who offends your god. Burn every temple, burn every hermitage, burn every library. Burn the reaches of the river in your quest to drive away this sickness. In all courses, do as you please- I will not bother you with these affairs, as I have not done from the start.

Yet, I will not deny that true justice must always be delivered. If you have confirmation that any man of the oyulun has meddled within your domain, bring it forth and I will deliver unto you that man’s head. A man of the Tribes who takes leave to obstruct without permission is a man who will not be tolerated.

To: Tebtai Bulugu

These words will satisfy me, if they are met with action. If I find no more priests from the northern lakes in my lands, then I will stay my hand and do no harm to your tribesmen.

If I do find them, however, I will deliver them to you, and allow you to give me the justice I have been promised.

To: Kothari Exatai

Our terms for peace are as follows:

The city of Subal and the immediate surroundings be ceded to the Empire of Helsia, the Fifth Federate of Caroha.

The people of Palmyra shall be released from Kothari rule, and shall form an independent state.

A Hu'ut free state shall be established in the delta of the river Had.

The Farubaida o Caroha and the Kothari Exatai will withdraw their forces to within their own borders, and agree to bring to an end the war the has long simmered between us.

OOC: Well, I'd be happy to talk it over with Spry. Unless I'm much mistaken, it's him I'll be negotiating with, and not you. ;)

From Kartis the Redeemer
To Farubaida o Caroha

Our vengeance will be swift and merciless upon those who think to mock us. We are prepared only to negotiate after a serious fashion, and will hear terms only accordingly.

To: Kothari Exatai

Our terms do not mock. Our terms reflect our intentions, and we are not retreating from them. The Palmyrans and Hu'utis have clearly expressed that you are their ruler no longer, and we shall support this position. The Farubaida will not abandon those who have stood at our sides.

The Third Precept

a position by Brother Sadar of Epichirisi

Mindfulness and Righteousness. These are our two great precepts, and they guide us in our thought and in our action. It is by and through them that we hold to the Faith. It is by and through them that we find ourselves upon the Path.

Righteousness centres us in the world. Through Righteousness we find justice, and only thence from justice comes equity. And so we know of what is right, and so we know of what is wrong. It is justice that sees a man great and good rewarded, it is justice that sees a man evil and base punished and condemned, and it is justice that sees a man weak and downtrodden sheltered and protected. So too through Righteousness do we find honour, and from honour we know worthiness and dignity. By our honour do we find the courage to stand firm upon the field of battle, or to throw ourselves upon the foe. By our honour do we find the strength to persevere. By our honour are we bound to protect our people, our Republic, and our Order.

Mindfulness centres us in ourselves. When we are Mindful we are aware. We know of our body, of our feeling, of our thought, and of our faith. When we are Mindful we know what is true, and what is false. When we are Mindful we comprehend clearly, and so we know of the true nature and reality of all that surrounds us. When we are Mindful we understand, and we may embrace the present moment. It is Mindfulness that grants us wisdom, and so it is Mindfulness that is the greatest power of the spirit.

But it is for many that when faced with our precepts and our tenets, understanding falters. It is known that some who once held to our Faith abandon the sacred teachings of Indagahor and take up foreign ways. We cannot deny this, but we may yet rectify it. We must embrace the Third Precept. We must embrace Illumination.

It is in Illumination that thought and action are one. It is in Illumination that we find the purest expression of our Faith. It is in Illumination that we walk upon the Path. To Illuminate, we must educate. To Illuminate, we must plant the seeds of truth wherever we should find fertile ground. To Illuminate we must spread the Word of the Path. We must venture out upon the roads and upon the waves, and we must bring this Word to all the peoples of the world. We must sate the thirsty man with the water of our knowledge. We must be the hand that opens closed mind and closed heart. We must be the light in the darkness. This is our Third Precept, and by the Third Precept shall we walk upon the Path. By the Third Precept shall we step forward unto eternity. By the Third Precept shall we be Enlightened.

---

To: Rihnit

Brothers of the Faith, it is good that you have opened yourselves to the wider world, and it is good that the bounty of the waves shall now come to you. But we have heard rumour of your troubles. We have heard that the Aitahists now impede good men and women as they walk upon the Path. We have heard that they would convert your people, and so draw them away from Iehor. This the Daharai can scarce abide. We offer then to send some few Brothers of our Order to Agnato and the other places of your realm so that they might Illuminate. It is our hope that by this action might there be built a bulwark against further incursion by the followers of the Aitahs.

Den of the Banker-Prince

The courier slave rushed down the tiled corridor, his bare feet slapping on the floor. He turned a corner and stopped before an arched portal. Beyond, he could hear the sounds of splashing water and laughter.

"Vetti Nuccios [1]," he called, urgently but respectfully. "I bear urgent news."

"Come in," said a voice, which sounded amused by something else.

The slave had never been allowed into the heart of any nuccion before, let alone the Tepecci. He only barely kept his mouth from gaping in the astonishment at what he saw, for he might have been punished if he did. There were many men and women in this room, talking and laughing to one another, most of them in a state of undress. He had never seen great people unmasked before, let alone...without their clothes.

The room was a great domed chamber, with many smaller circular alcoves around the edge of the room, each alcove containing a pool with a different sort of beautiful water, cunningly transformed into different colors by surely magical means. A ceiling of colored glass transformed the slanting sunlight itself into yet other colors, while wine spilled from the mouth of a fountain of shining silver. It was wrought in the shape of a man holding a golden bunch of grapes in one hand and a dagger in the other. The slave noticed that unlike the rest of the fountain, which was made of precious metals, the dagger looked real.

In the largest of the pools was an old man, with curly silver ringlets of hair and a wiry build. Two incredibly beautiful women were lying on either side of him, with their heads on his shoulders. Even naked, he wore a collar of silver around his neck that marked authority among the Accani alone. It was this man that the slave had been instructed to address.

"The Prince of Bone sends his regards to the Nuccios of the Tepecci family," he recited from memory. "My apologies for the slight, Vetti Nuccios, he does not yet know you have risen to be Prince of the Accanon."

The old man waved a palsied hand indicating he did not care. "Let us see what my little investment has won us."

"He says that by merit of exatas he has captured the city of Diyakutl. He intends to spend two moons purifying the city from the worshipers of the many-handed darkness. Then he shall march to invest the Seat of Bone. Tydar cannot oppose him, he says, and if he meets him in battle he will drive the spear of Artaxeras through his heart."

"Artaxeras," he mumbled. "Oh yes, the guard-dog that Zelarri had put down." Tepecci rolled his eyes. "This one has his uses," he mentioned to one of the women, "but Hynasf was a far cannier Cyvekt than Fulwarc's seed. Sometimes I think he actually believes all of this Satar nonsense."

He mused for a second, then realized that the slave was still standing there, expectantly. "Hm? Oh, yes, you can go. I'll send my own servants with a reply. Good diction, take two silvers from the doorkeeper." That was about thirty times what he was normally paid.

The slave took half a second to imprint the memory of such extravagant beauty in his head before withdrawing to the door. He planned on describing all this to his brothers in the courier slave quarters by the docks, but they would never believe him.

One of the courtesans with her arms around Tepecci asked, "What are your uses for this one, Vecco?" Tepecci liked it when his courtesans used his given name. He also liked them to be educated, which was truly strange...but every great man has his eccentricities.

"Ephasir-ta-Cyve...is a very special case," he said to his girls. "That sea cow Hynasf locked me out of the Cyvekt market for decades. But if Ephasir takes the throne of Cyve with the army I bought him, he has promised to grant the Tepecci nuccion sole export rights to all Ederrot's goods. Do you know how much honey costs in Caroha?"

"Very much, my clever prince,"

"Bzz bzz," he said, grinning.

---

[1] Vetti Nuccios - Prince Patriarch; Vetti is the Accan title for Prince, and Nuccios is the title for the head of a Nuccion, the large clan groupings that rule Accan society. Vecco Tepecci is the new Prince of the Sea, this is just an Accan way of saying this.

I'm thinking of adding further mongrelized consonant-groups and vowel-clusters as more and more foreign influences diverts the highly strict structure of traditional and even reformed Parthecan script.

EDIT:

Update to Parthecan Language. the meanings are literal, and the "meanings" are common translation.
Spoiler :
Par – Orgin/Original
The (Short e)- Desendents
Ca- Adjective Enclitic for stuff that represents it (so a hearty man would be Jarca, one with much heart/center)
Cas- Undefined pronoun usage (Ones, those people, anyone, ect)
Jar- Center, heart
Wen- Root, Home
Parthe: Desendents of the Original Peoples (Founder of Parwen)
Parwen: The Original Home
Jarthe: The Desendents of the Heart
Thewen: Current Dynasty, Desendents of the Home,
Parcas: The family name of the legendary founding dynasty “The Original Ones ”
Parca: Like the Originals, Explorer
Jarca: Plazas, centers of villages, towns and guild sections (usually only in cities or large towns)Senuen- Crafty, tricky one,
Ha-n- Showing much of
Hanuen- Guild of Prefects (Parts of a city)
Hanuencas- Guild of Governors (Ruler of a town)
tos-Spined, "Ship"

Parthecan was a strictly defined language, with vowels safely ensconced and surrounded by consonants, with specific variations and exceptions for ease of expression or for providing shades of meaning. Words are interrelated based on their sounds, and changes in vowels sometimes barely shifts the meaning, or even did not have been giving it's own meaning yet. Words that sound similar often meant similar things, and verb and noun forms of words are sometimes only distinguishable in context. Recently, with the standardization of language and the growth and interrelationships with new peoples, the language have much relaxed it's roots.

Tar=West
Cas=North
Teur=South
Cit=East

Wen=Roots, Home, "Royal Family", "Dynasty"
The=Descendants, Dynasty, "House"
Jar=Center, Heart, Ideals
Har=Strong Heart, Core, Mighty
Par=Original Ideals/Peoples
-ca=Common adjective form
-cas=Common collective noun form
Das=Flower, Beauty
Ha-=Guild
Nuen

Breakdown of common words
Parthe=House of the Aboriginals
Hasnuencas=
Tarparsunuencen=

Since we're doing alphabets...

V does a lot of work in Opulensi, pulling for B, F and U in their script. The sounds for those letters are still mostly intact in my imagination, V is just particularly case sensitive. What a terrible language.

Wow, nice work, guys. The only thing that might have made me happier if there was more borrowing between alphabets, but otherwise this is awesome. :)

Top Bottom