End of Empires - N3S III

Dasca's Death, Part One

I watch, unblinking. It was cold.

To be sure, the upstart did have a Kingly appearance about him. His indigo cloak hung from his broad shoulders, outlining his embroidered outfit. It was cold. And his eyes… he had the sparkling grey eyes of his mother, my husband… I shook myself. This boy has usurped my beloved Cezdoros. He may be from her body, but he is not of royal stock. Look at those cheekbones! Look at how his carefully groomed beard yet rebels from his barber’s careful care! Yet, I would still freeze under those eyes.

I sip, my eyes still upon him as he conversed with his council. It was cold. Noblemen, Prefects, Marshals, Overseers. Great men all, working under him instead of Cezdoros. I grip my cup tighter as I saw another grey-eyed usurper, a stocky silent youth yelling triumphantly as he thrust his sword through my son’s throat. Condom’s loins produced naught but trouble makers and usurpers. I have the royal blood she can only carry and hope to have, and yet she is the King, her sons are the Kings. It was cold. Very very cold.

My head throbbed, I have drank too much. His grey eyes sparkled as he laughed, but I can only see Condom’s misty eyes as she confessed her paranoid fantasies to me, her eyes freezing into ice as she swore to end all the threats and squabbling from court. "Like the Heroes of Old" was her refrain. It was cold. I excuse myself. I know it was rude, for it was before the roast, and he was still speaking. But regardless, I am still Queen! I am still his mother in law!

“Traitor-Queen” they call me behind my back as I walk down the halls to my study. It was cold. My head throbbed. My fist clenched. Is it traitorous to recognize madness borne in blood? Condom’s flesh is too weak for the throne, a minor nobleman’s daughter, concubine to Harca. My royal blood was to be married to her brother, the same brother whose manhood she absorbed as she claimed Kingship. Now I am married to her. It was cold.

I enter my room. My quill looked as lonely as I, sitting in its inky bath next to pages both scratched and pure. I feed the fire, my loyal friend embracing my offered sacrifice and leaping into life, fighting off the icy Zarcasen ghosts who lived here. My head throbbed. Joffer would have been a horrible king. Silent, unsure, more used to following than leading. Joffer is educated! Joffer is trained say they. My son was the same, and was clever, and righteous. But he followed Alchemist instead of the Warrior that day, dripping poisons on his blade.

My head throbbed as I wrote. Why am I attacked so? Am I not their rightful Queen? Was Cezdoros not their King of royal blood? My head throbbed as I called to the future, “I did all for my family of all Parthe, so that the fit may rule and the mad may die.”

I didn’t realize that I fell, my head was throbbing so. My hand trembled as I pressed the wetness from my face. Blood! No, rather, it was ink. White spots grew in my vision as pain assaulted me. Spirits above! Is this how you reward your most loyal servant? I, who have given my maiden head, my honor, and my son for Parthe, shall die in this way?

I realize I no longer feel much anything. The cold, the pain flowed away. My… my prayers are answered. Cezdoros stood before me, offering me a hand to stand. My eyes tear as I tried to reach his hand… yet he kept retreating from me. I try harder… and harder…

And finally, just as I grasped it, I saw no more.

For the love of Masada, please accept the late orders I just sent.

Tíanhan u Limach stood watch over the empty plain. To his left the land gently rose up towards Kotsai, the mountains that framed Naran’s eastern border. The dry fields Tíanhan looked over, farrow and not productive, had seen many battles in its past, and many field workers still refused to turn the land productive again. They feared the angry spirits that many felt still roamed the land. Unsatisfied with their death, they were said to not return to the great spirit and instead, still sought to find their enemies to engage in battle.

Tíanhan had no use for these superstitions. A dead soldier would not scare him from acting as he wanted. He had his ideas, and needed to seclusion to think that only these fields could provide. The field also held the other thing he sought, and in the distance he thought he saw a mound that provided a subtle hint as to the possible location of what he was looking to find.

Directions and Numbers

Tar=West
Ta=Westward
Cas=North
As=Eastward
Teur=South
Eur=Southward
Cit=East
Ci=Eastward
et=One
ep=Two
en=Three
ez=Four
ac=Five
met=First
mep=Second
men=Third
mez=Fourth
mac=Fifth
mi=Many
mu=Few

Roots

Zar*=Fierce, Military
Pir**=Explorer, Wanderer
Mar**=Exceptional, Paragon
Par**=Original, Middle
The=House, Hearth, Offspring
Har=Mighty, Core
Has=Powerful, Authority, ”Rulers/Governors”
Jar=Heart, Center
Wen=Roots, Peoples
Das=Flower, Beauty
Leun***=Money-hunter
Ceun=Wise, Knowing
Teun=Academic, Scholarly
Seun=Money-wise
Neun=Brotherhood, “Guild”
Quer=Iron, Hard core
Quemar=Steel, “Exceptional Iron”
Sun=Money/Commerce
Tun=Chances/Opportunity
Tos=Spined, “Ship” in general

*Has been adopted by the military around the founding of Zarpe
**A notable linguistic shift, the division of the old “Par” into three terms “Par” “Pir” and “Mar”.
***Many foreign concepts use the “eu” or “ue” vowel adopted from the Leun
Note the patterns based on consonants and vowel choice, such as “-r” referring to “central, center, core, etc.

Suffixes

-ca=Lands
-cas=Emphatic adjective, the Peoples/Things of, refers to themselves most often
-cen=Emphatic adjective, the Peoples/Things of, refers to others most often
-wen=Formal adjective to refer to other nations and their peoples, usually used with ca or cas by the common people
-neun=Guild of, Brotherhood of

Prefixes

ha-=Important
pa-=”Royal”,

Words

Toset=Leun-styled ship
Cittos=Kitaluk-styled ship
Mizartosca=The Navy
Zarcasca=The Lands of the Fierce North, the northern half of the island
Zarcascen=The (Other) Ones of the Fierce North, natives of Zarcasca
Partheca=The Lands of the Original Home, the southern half of the island
Parthecas=The Peoples of the Orignal Home, natives of Partheca
Parthe=The Original Home, name of the Kingdom
Taparsunuencen= Ones of the Original Eastward Guild of Trade/Commerce, The “Superguild”
Jarthe= “House of the Heart”, but notably retaining its original definition “Honor of the Hearth”, sorta like a super Filial Piety concept
Hasnuen=Guild of Politics/Governors, “The Court”
Pactuneznuen= The Royal Four Chances Guild “Insurance Guild”, “Four Chances” refers to the phrase “A man is worth only five mistakes” based on compiled actuarial tables.
Jarceun= The Center of Knowledge, "The Archives"

End Note: I have “redone” the original Syllabus often. I feel this is now definitive and established enough to move on to other words and stuff without worrying about vague or mislabeling.

EDIT:
Nice story, Terrance. I liked that one.
Wow, Thanks!

EDIT: NOTICE
Going to write a series of stories taking place in the Archives. This will range form the Grand Archives in Parta, the current Royal Archives in Zarpe, or any of the branches on any Parthecan city. I'll think about this.

What I want is a list of possible students and character ideas. Why did they come to join the Jarceun, of all places? I want to try to bounce them around a bit. Names and concepts accepted!

Careful, The Heathen Wants to Play

Satores
Where They Failed, 606 SR

The soil is coarse.

He rolled it between his fingers, taking in the heavy iron scent. The color was a lighter shade than he thought it would be. Satores placed both hands to the ground, running slender fingers through the dried grasses and broken roots that crowned the earth.

This was it, the fading memory of battle.

The sun was blistering overhead. It bore down on him like a well-fed fire, scorching his brow. But a black cloud lingered to the east, and thunder rolled. He had ridden far to see this site. The graveyard that held the great mounts of the Moti. Here the great elephants fell to the spears of better men.

Here the trophies of war remained.

Amongst the high passes, ten thousand men lay where their masters fled east. The colossal bones of their mounts jutted from the earth at odd angles, marking the graves. Satores crouched near a one-tusked skull, still accented by rotted and dried flesh, yet to be peeled away by the scavenger birds of summer.

Satores watched white hot streaks lash the valley beyond, waiting for the clashing thunder to follow.

He stood to wipe the sweat from his face. Satores wore no mask like his father. He needed none, for he was not Redeemer of Man and would not be for years to come. He coiled a palm around the back of his neck, releasing tension in his muscles. Around him loitered his companions, his tarkan in the northern tongue. They picked at the fleshy remains of elephants and man. Both sides had lost too much that day.

Taroc approached. He held the weathered remnants of a buckle and sheath, a fine steel dagger still inside it. These were the weapons forged in the far east, along the Kotthorns. The pale masked Satar handed the weapon over, nodding in respect. Satores placed a firm grip on his bare shoulder.

“I should have been here,” Satores said, his voice rough from the morning ride. A cool breeze took the heat from his face for a moment.

“We were too young. Our day will come,” Taroc reminded him. He stepped around to the elephant’s skull, kicking it with his riding boot. “Men rode these beasts against our fathers and theirs before them.”

“It won’t be the last,” said Satores.

They stood and admired the great skull in silence. Satores flicked the dagger from its covering. He appreciated the quality of the blade. He surveyed the pass and his companions. He’d brought fifty riders from the south to see the damage. It’d been a year, yet still no robber dared pick the field under the watch of Xocares.

His riders were mixed in origin, as were his father’s. They did not hold the same prejudices as the Karapeshai or the Moti. Men were men. Great men were great.

Siyas was an elephant lord in his prior life, but bowed before the greatest king the world had ever known now. His dark complexion made him popular with the women of court. He argued religion with his fellows but would die for each in turn if they asked. He stood with Laetras, an Oscadian by all accounts, bickering over the proper burial of a fallen rider nearby.

None of their differences conflicted with Satores’ view of the world. He had been raised in the house of his father—the house of peace. He saw only friends, and smiled.

“My father will push Cairl to the sea,” said Satores to break the silence. He sheathed the dagger in his hand and turned in place, stepping away from the remains. He rubbed at his neck, remembering the close encounter with the Dula assassins, gritting his teeth at the thought of his sisters so close to death. “And then he will break the last empire of the Dula,” he said, emphasizing the final vowel sharply.

“And we will be with him,” said Taroc, but Satores shook his head.

“We are the youth, my friend. My father will not waste us in war against the false emperor. He would have us sit and wait. His victory will come and we will be children in his eyes still, a dozen years more.”

“The Lady says,” Taroc began, but Satores cut him off mockingly. After a moment of silence, as Satores grumbled, Taroc spoke again. “She crossed the sea when she was a girl and conquered the heavens by our age, Satores.”

Satores crossed his arms, awaiting another tale from Taroc’s little book. And indeed, Taroc reached under his clothing, near his heart, and pulled out the well-worn leather-bound pages of the foreign goddess he worshipped so intently. It was a small thing, written and bound by some monk far away in calligraphy so minute it hurt Satores’ eyes. But it was Taroc’s, and he would not press him over it.

Taroc flipped through its pages, looking for something relevant to their conversation. Siyas and Laetras strode over, having settled their religious debate. They paid their respects with a nod his way, and Satores saw the anticipation in their eyes for the day they’d cause the havoc they now stood in. Twenty days ago they’d been boys in the court of his father, women and gold to spare. Yet, here they were among the dead and defeated.

Satores tossed the dagger to Siyas, and without a moment of thought he said, “Moti.” He didn’t toss it back.

Satores snorted.

Taroc mumbled and hummed as he flipped to a page he found adequate. He then proceeded to read, but Satores only half-listened and caught the tail end of it. He was too busy chatting with Siyas and Laetras about the sizable elephant skull beneath their feet.

“…saw the western sands bend and bow to my presence. They welcomed me like no king before and none since. My love holds me close and the people rejoice. For I am the conqueror of heaven, I am the master of earth. Yet the darkness ever present reminds me of my youth, of my doubt, of my weakness. What could I do?”

Taroc hummed in satisfaction.

Satores grabbed Siyas around the shoulder pulling him close, mocking Taroc’s reading. He swept his arm in a wide arc across the storm wrecked valley beyond. He exaggerated like some Dula player, “For I am the CONQUEROR of heaven!” Satores paused at the thought, at the sight beyond, and at the laughter of his companions. And he whispered, “I am the master of earth.”

Siyas, smiling as bright as any man, turned to face Satores and said, “Yes.”

Satores nodded. “Yes.”

He tilted the skull beneath the heel of his boot.

A Prince’s Duties

“I missed you so.”

He released her from his embrace. His eyes twinkling as he tried to drown her with them. Zaeita pressed the her palm between her breasts, then the forward onto his own chest. “Duty awaits” she said, with a smile.

“Lunch first, my princess.” he joked. They kissed, the sweet aroma of -pomegranate?- no, of her, teased Genda’s senses. “It was a long voyage from the docks to our new home.”

The balcony was open to the sea, or what little they could see of it. A forest of wood and cloth rippled in the wind, restlessly seeking the open waves and the far corners of the world. To join with the comforting smell of salt and scale was the scent of roasts and saute. A small cozy table was set with two chairs, it’s legs seemingly shaking under the bounty it presented.

Time flowed by as dish after dish was picked clean. “Roast Corn on Cob, from Moti” presented one delicacy. Some kind of inverted pomegranate-banana browned by fire, sweet and starchy. “Kaztaf from Zarcasca and Honey from Sevec, in stuffed Peppers”, named another. Ah, a present from Father. He loved the cuisine of Zarcasca and Ethirca and other north-lands. The gooey, sweet, and strangely savory sauce complemented the soft flesh of the pepper nicely.

“Iced Fresh Tuna-steak, on palm leaf, raw, with citrus”.

Genda raised an eyebrow “Are you trying to poison me?”. Although he merely muttered it, the servant, a whelp of one fawning noble house or another, quailed.

“Hush” whispered a smiling Zaeita, “‘Tis a custom among the Kitaluk during long voyages. As the saying goes, ‘Fresh fish salted by the sea, good for gods and good for me’’. Try it!” She dipped a cube into a small saucer of soured wine, and moaned as she chewed and swallowed. She winked at him.

He loved her.

Genda picked up a piece of the meat. It seemed to throb between his fingers. Calling for the Aspects of Fools and Explorers to look out for him, he took it and chewed. It oozed of salt, but it wasn’t bloody. Rather, as his teeth shredded the cube, it seemed to swim over his tongue and his tastebuds.

He swallowed, his “food” fighting him the entire way.

“Well?”

“I don’t know if I’m worthy of eating the food of their gods” he joked.

Their meal done, and their servants dismissed, they sat contently while sipping iced cordials.

She leaned closer to him as they talked. He thought it was because he was quiet. It was hard for him to speak up even around people he’s comfortable with. Sometimes, he wondered if he can make a good king. He IS the crown prince… he can’t help but remember the fate of the last one.

“So, how’s business doing?” he asked.

“Peunni is such a bore” said his wife, “I don’t care about the Archives and Actuarial tables or Asses like him. That’s his job.”

“My dear, I can send another Archiver if you wish”

“He’s alright.” she conceded, “Besides, for all that he knows, it might be safer to give him the cut with something sharper than paper.”

He chucked. He could never be as devious as his wife on the intimate side of things.

“So, how’s business doing?” he asked again.

She playfully slapped him, “You don’t merely ask a Leun how his business is doing.”

“You’re a woman. And my wife.”

“And so I am?” She sighed, “Business has been doing well, I suppose. Nothing like what my father could garner, but it’s still young.” Zaeita shifted. By now, she was almost ontop of him. “You bore me with words. You should bore me with something else. Come, it’s time...”

The door opened with a crash, and a mountain of a man pushed through, “Prince Genda… There you are my brother!”

“Enter Rupturwen, interrupting, I see?”

“This is Sea Mar...” Catos took a moment to register Genda’s mumbling, “Oh haha. You should be one of those Storycallers, brother, with a tongue like that.”

“I am not your brother, and you shouldn’t mock my tongue.” despite his words, Genda was smiling a bit from the wordplay. He always feels more confident after sparring with his best friend Catos.

“Excuse me,” said Zaeita, leaning over Genda’s chest, “but we have urgent duties to do. Speak.”

“Ah yes.” the Seamarshall knelt, “I, Catos Rupturwen, Sea Marshall of Parthe, am here to announce that the fleet is preparing to leave harbor. I request the presence of the Crown Prince Genda on this expedition to Farea.” He paused. "Brother?"

“... ugh Farea, so self righteous... spirits above I'm not your bro...” mumbled Genda, before he noticed that Catos had stopped.

“Thank you for your message” covered Zaeita, holding her husband possessively, “What say you?” She kissed him.

“Ahem” coughed Genda. It was quite comfortable under his wife, and he had no desire to leave any time soon, “A Crown Prince has more duties this afternoon than lead an expedition of several weeks right after returning from a similar one. He appoints Sea Lord Tiron Orthos to lead this expedition.”

Catos frowned a bit, “Brother...”

“I am not your Brother.”

Catos ignored him. “There are many duties you must do. Would you reconsider the importance of this one?”

Genda rolled his eyes, “Fine." He made an exaggerating thinking face. He's good at that. Another similarity to Joffer, he thought. "Ok done.Still no. Catos, please leave. I have duties to attend to.”

Catos walked away shaking his head.

“And close the curtain behind you!” called Zaeita. "And don't peak!"

End of Empires - Update Twenty-five
Oblivion's Overlook

Five Years
606 - 611 SR by the Seshweay Calendar
495 - 500 RM by the Satar Calendar
321 - 326 IL by the Leunan Calendar
596 - 601 SH by the Sharhi Calendar
1430 - 1435 AR by the Amure Reckoning

Spoiler :

The prayer of battle is the incense in Taleldil's temple. ~ from the Kaphaiavai

It is known that all good stories... end with the hero-death. ~ from the Tale of the Moti-Hero Kirost

* * * * * * * * *​

The wind sifted through the forest, bearing whispers from oblivion. These were aging trees, but they stood in a young wood. Hundreds and hundreds of years ago, this land had been known for endless stands of pines and aspens, a black wild, hiding scattered villages and dank mines. And the trees had been cleared, one by one, opening into fields and farmland; the people named themselves the Murk. The name had trickled down through history; the river now bore the name Markha, and some here still descended from that ancient tribe.

But the fields had been abandoned, or burnt, and fallow land passed once again to forest. Only the bones, hidden beneath stone or root, gave hint that these hollows one held men.

Between the trees ran a doe, her dappled coat glittering in the morning sun. Her kind had prospered from the decline of man. Their fields and gardens had fed her, and when those vanished with the Oscadians, she had little problem switching to the mast of a million trees. No one even lingered here to hunt them, so thinly scattered were the pe –

An arrow struck her in the front, just before her leg. It had the uncanny accuracy of a master marksman; whether it had truly caught her in the heart or not didn't matter. As she bolted from the sudden ambush, the barbs tore a little deeper with each stride, her blood streaming down her flank. Only a few hundred feet later, she stumbled, and, vision clouding, knelt by a quiet stream before falling to the earth.

The bowman went to one knee beside her corpse, the leaves a soft carpet beneath him. A whispered prayer, and swiftly he moved to the work of taking her back to the camp.

“Well done,” the sentry said upon his return.

The huntsman did not return his smile. “We are not alone.”

“There are others, truly?” the other said, startled. “I'd started to think the war was a myth.” He hesitated. “Friend or foe?”

“Footprints do not profess faith.”

The sentry glared at him. “Should we risk the fire?”

“If they are Oscadians, they will never join us if they cannot find us.”

“But Oscadians are more like to think a campfire is Satar. And the Dahaiaou are like to kill everyone.” He shifted, and sighed. “I think it doubtful we will find any of our Lady before we reach the mountains.”

“So, raw meat?”

The sentry shook his head. “Let's light one anyway. It is not as though we're going to stumble across the gold-masked bastard in the deep woods.”

The two men walked to the pit they had dug. The rest of their company had gathered some firewood, and it caught with only a few sparks from their steel. And as the smoke curled up into the evening sky, the company gathered round, and began to chat. It had been a long march, and the Redeemer was many miles away.

Of course, the same could not be said for Prince Sianai.

* * * * * * * * *​

It was an army unlike any that had been seen for a hundred years. Men had marched from thousands of miles away, not just in the tens of thousands, but in the hundreds of thousands – as though every anthill in the Sesh had emptied and marched in one monstrous host. Men from every corner of the world – from Bisria, from Hiut, Helsia, Neruss, the Sesh, Moti, Krato, Duroc, Opios, and a dozen places more, men with spear and bow and sword, and shield. Cavalry marched in columns that by themselves were larger than most armies, and all around walked the enormous elephants, tall as gods and moving through it all like a man amongst insects.

They had marched from the Sesh through the Rath Satar, skirting the edges of the Kotir (men had been buried by the sand, or so it was said). They had taken the great monastery complex at Siaxis without a drop of blood, and Onesca had fallen to their armies. All that remained in the south was the great citadel at Arastephaion, older than most empires.

The Ardavai stone sentinel stood in the middle of the steppe, lonely and solemn. It had been a folly at the time, or so it had been whispered, but in truth it was less fortress than it was city, or perhaps a province minaturized. A river flowed through it, and clean drinking water had been stored for decades of siege. Farms lay within the first ring of walls, and houses within the second. The third ring towered over all of them, and above even that, almost two hundred feet high, the spire of the citadel, an imitation of the Kothai that did not even pale beside those mountains.

And it was here that the Ayasi's army paused, and waited.

What he waited for was a matter of some dispute. Some whispered that the Satar had already been beaten, and that they would take Arastephaion to serve as a base to carve deeper and deeper into the Exatai, to burn Atracta and Alusille and Henan. Others held that the Satar marched to meet them here, and that it was under the open sky of the steppe that armageddon would take place. Still others said that Talephas had turned tail and run, or that First-Lerai would have them break camp to come meet them.

It would be more than a month before the answer came in the form of a Satar army.

The outriders warned them of its approach long before it came into sight, but the noise was tremendous – the sound of warhorns echoed off the faces of the mountains, and the army roused itself instantly. Men scrambled from their tents, desperately hoping that they would not accidentally arrive at the end of the world without their helmet or sword.

As the Moti army drew up, the Ayasi did not allow himself to smile. It would have been unseemly, for one thing, and for another, as he well knew, the Satar would be here in only a few hours, and mobilizing a force of some two hundred thousand was no mean task. He saw to it that the vanguard was ready before checking to see if they had sent a rider to the western army, near Katdhi. With luck, they would have noticed the Satar before he had, and their force would come crashing into its rear, trapping them and obliterating them.

Still, one had to assume he felt elated. The Satar had answered his battle-challenge. It was exactly as he had desired.

Even so, as the two armies careened towards one another in the Gap of Phalen, something felt off. The Moti force champed at the bit, and even as their cavalry cantered forward and the Satar fell back in what seemed to be a false retreat, First-Lerai grew more concerned. The Satar looked to be at a half, or maybe a third of their total strength. Was it a trap?

The army cared not for such nuance, and crashed forward, and the Satar met them with the bite of steel. The fighting raged for only five minutes until the Satar pulled back, their cavalry harassing the Moti pursuers as they went.

The Ayasi called to his men. The pursuit slowed to a cautious crawl, perhaps over-cautious. The cavalry nipped at the heels of the Satar, but though they seemed to be winning the engagement handily, he still worried himself. If this had been a testing, his men had performed well. But if it was something more...

Sianai conceded the field. His army had never intended to relieve Arastephaion, not really. The Emperor had not begun the pursuit in full force yet, but this did not overly concern him, either. He had certainly caught the Uggor's attention, and his army had suffered few losses. With the Faronun rabble-rousers among the Oscadians dealt with, it would have been hard to argue that this was not a successful sortie; he had even managed to evade the Ayasi's second force, in the bowl of the Kothai.

It was only the first move.

To the east, the war was fought on wooden walls. The Farubaidan fleet had begun to simply dominate the Kern Sea, as it operated fearlessly through its waters. While any major expedition into Accan waters had to be discounted as a logistical nightmare (not to mention, suspiciously similar to a certain well-known event from world history), minor raids began to stretch in every direction, like a many-tentacled beast. Little attacks burned supply caches, or piers, or even minor fleets – from Gallat to the Princedom of Ice, and of course up and down the coast from Onesca to Alma, though it was in this last area that they met their first real resistance.

Even so, the Faronun felt like they could almost operate uncontested in the sea. When the Gallatenes shut down their ports to Aitahist merchants entirely, they could simply retaliate with a series of raids that left a dozen docks in Sirasona in ashes, and all the while they could operate from Aldina without a care in the world.

But though the Ayasi seemed uncontested on land, and the Carohans by sea, it was obvious that the Satar had not been beaten – not even close. Scouts reported that Talephas' army remained behind the River Markha, using it as a defensive perimeter, as though daring the Ayasi to come north. And, indeed, both he and the Moti Emperor issued further challenges to one another, and both called the other coward, and both summarily ignored the other.

It might have been the largest and most epic stalemate in world history, but for the simple fact that it could not be sustained. Even with the immensity of funds that the Ayasi poured into his army, the simple fact of the matter was that it was still difficult to supply his soldiers across the steppe and the Kotir, and that though he had taken Siaxis and Arastephaion seemed within his reach, neither of them could really be considered prizes worthy of such an invasion. The Redeemer, one might have thought, would have been just as uncomfortable in his seat, but none of his princes were idiots – they knew the difficulty of their task, and had no reservations about defense.

Sooner or later, then, the Ayasi would have to move.

Though he kept a second army in reserve, the immensity of his main force, two hundred thousand strong, with another fifty thousand Carohans, marched north across the Rahevat. Months later, the great tortoise of an army finally arrived in the valley of the River Markha, the same eerily quiet landscape that had been infiltrated by the Faronun the previous year. Here, however, they had to pause – the River was quite wide, and though a significant ford existed nearly halfway up the river, First Lerai's scouts immediately warned of Talephas' army on the other side.

However he pushed through, it would have to be very careful, indeed.

* * * * * * * * *​

With wars to the north and west heating up, almost everyone expected the rest of the world to get involved in some fashion, starting with the Daharai. Though the Republic had made numerous peace overtures to the Dual Empire, the conquest of Baharr surely could not be the end of their ambitions – the island, however holy, seemed almost worthless next to the very real gems around it in the Kbirilma Sea.

But even as the two empires geared for war once more, an envoy from the Savirai emperor in the far north arrived at the very last minute. Recognizing the tenuous position he now held, the Emperor reduced his demands considerably, and made peace with the southerners for a rather smaller sum than he had insisted on for the last few months. As easily as that, the tensions along the shores immediately relaxed, and the very vulnerable rear flank of the Aitahist powers had been secured.

Yet even as their neighbors turned back to wage their wars, the Daharai barely hesitated before striking again.

This time, their target was the Leunan Republic. The ailment of that state has been chronicled for some time now, and the causes and factions of the civil war quite known. But the longstanding difficulties that either side faced evaporated almost immediately when the Red Chamber's ships appeared on the horizon. While the Daharai easily took Pulchas, and secured the Cheidian straits against new campaigns, they learned that things had developed far too quickly in their opponent's heartland. The nobility had verged on taking Leun for quite some time, but the news of imminent invasion spurred both sides to action.

Specifically, the action took place at the negotiating table.

The Senate had been an almost closed affair, power begetting power, the wealth and influence of the merchant elite solidifying their hold over the country. With the army almost entirely in the landed nobility's hands, however, they made a striking series of concessions – essentially streamlining the electoral process, establishing limits to how long a member could serve in the Senate, and weighting the representational system quite differently. The effect wouldn't be immediate, but it certainly seemed likely to produce the change they'd hope for.

The new Republican guard had much to worry about. The Daharai invasion had been followed by a ferocious attack from the Fareans across the south of Auona, and the Naelsians took several cities before bogging down in the still-rustic and difficult terrain of the interior. Before they could reach the island's northern half, they were met by a large Leunan field army, which frustrated further Farean attacks.

As the Daharai fleet had actually surpassed the Leunans once more, the latter took a supposedly more cautious approach to the problems near Cheidia – instead of challenging them by sea, the Leunan armies simply marched overland, brazenly passing through Rihniti territory, brushing aside any attempts at resistance, and easily overcoming the small Daharai garrison that had been left in the fortresses there. Almost before it had begun, the blockade at the straits broke down, and Leunan ships crept back into the Cyntal Sea.

At the other end of the struggling empire, though, the news got even worse. Parthe, apparently, like most of Leun's neighbors, convinced that the Republic would fall to pieces, dispatched a minor expedition under Crown Prince Genda. The intent was to quickly secure the islands just to the south of Parthe proper – creating a buffer against naval attacks versus Parta, and cementing their status as a new and growing naval power.

Even though the Leunan government hadn't collapsed, the vast majority of its forces remained in the west. The Parthecans met little resistance, but instead a diplomatic storm of fury as the Leunan Senate protested the actions vociferously.

Meanwhile, though, most of the northeast – Parthe not excluded – reveled in the prosperity that peace had brought them. Kitaluk trade was on the rise, as rumor had it that they had triumphed in a titanic war in their own homeland. Iolhan merchants had themselves begun to grow in number after a series of favorable decrees by the Iolhan Senate, but the Parthecans already had a great head start. Their navy still had not quite kept pace with the merchant marine, but with almost no pirate presence on the Kitaluk Sea, no one regarded it as all that important.

Parthecan concerns ranged far beyond the simply monetary, however. With no real enemies to speak of – at least until the Leunans could refocus – they had the northern seas entirely to themselves. Under enormous pressure from the Archives, and seeking to establish a foothold in lands that until now had almost no “civilization” to speak of, they increased exploration of the northern coastline, creating its first sustained trade route. Nor did the route terminate in the Ethir lands, nor even Kurchen. Instead, exchange started to pass as far afield as the mysterious lands of the Sevec, and the Galatawen: an enormous coup that might have serious consequences further down the road.

At the same time, Parthecan gifts percolated through the north, befriending almost all of the tribes there. The Berathi, who had undergone something of a resurgence, happily greeted Parthecan travelers where once they had turned aside almost all comers; to their northwest, the Katka coalesced into a growing kingdom. Beyond even them, the Ethir received a Parthecan expedition, which eagerly cataloged the country's strange habits – elk-riding and hill-forts the most obvious among them – and noted with some interest the Aelonist version of the Aitahist faith that seemed to be spreading almost everywhere.

Indeed, the Cult gained a huge flock among the Lescawen, whose initial patronage of a few temples had suddenly blossomed into a fully fledged popular faith. With members in every Lescawen city, and the official blessing of the ruling dynasty, Lesa had become the latest of the dominoes to fall.

But, perhaps, also the last.

For though neither seemed to be a direct response to the spread of Aitahism, native religious movements had strengthened in both Iolha and Parthe. The Iolhan Assembly, led by their charismatic speaker, Majarsuc Baojur, built a series of temples and monasteries throughout the country. Coupled with a cultural disdain for outlanders, the native polytheism proved even more resilient than it had before, making gains in followers in some of the frontier regions, and even converting a few of the neighboring Berathi.

The Parthecan philosophy of Querjarec saw its origins at this time. On the outside appearing to be a somewhat minor development, the fraternal and individualistic nature of the movement was in fact a minor revelation to the traditionally petrified family structure. In another sense, it almost seemed to mirror the distant Farubaidan Doru o Ierai in its fundamentally intellectual and endeavoring basis; the Querjarecen movement had practically originated in the Archives, after all.

But the island people shared a crowded stage. To their west, the Iolhan Speaker now led the country through a burst of activity that rivaled even Parthe's – the religious and merchantile developments we have already mentioned, but an explosion of road construction commenced, too, and alongside that project, new facilities sprang up at every major port. Almost unnoticed in all this commotion, a new policy of expelling criminals to the north did not meet with much approval from the Lescawen, but the latter kingdom could do little about it but weakly complain.

* * * * * * * * *​

While their armies readied for armageddon, life for the people of the cradle continued on much as it always had, with a few notable exceptions.

The most prominent of these – the war that had suddenly emerged in Kilar – was also the quickest to resolve itself. Though Jipha had timed its invasion just as it decapitated the Kilari leadership, and though the first few weeks of the war had gone exceedingly well, the invaded country started to resist all too quickly, bringing a not-inconsiderable force of its own to bear on the problem. In a decisive move, moreover, the Ayasi nullified his protection for Jipha entirely, and passed the problem on to his ally, the Kothari Redeemer.

Kartis did not march in the campaign himself, of course, as he was growing increasingly old, but his generals met the enemy with great aplomb, shattering the Jiphan garrison that had stayed in the city of Kilar without any real trouble. Even as they installed the Kilari king back on his throne, and the little state started to recover, recruiting new armies, the Kothari marched ahead and plunged into the heartland of Jipha.

The thickly forested hills hadn't seen invaders in centuries, and the Jiphan soldiers fought fiercely to defend their homeland – at first. But the raiders in the jungles had difficulty communicating with one another, and when the Kothari force won one overwhelming victory after another, it sapped at the resistance's morale. Soldiers began to desert in numbers, and by the time the Kothari besieged Leuce, the war was already practically over.

Immediately, the Kothari turned to administrating the little country, setting up a son of one of the late king's sisters as the satrap, and assessing it with typical bureaucratic efficiency. The country they found was not conventionally rich, but it had an abundance of harbors, with their attendant merchants and fishermen. With surprisingly unabashed gusto, the Exatai took to cultivating their new gains, particularly by integrating it with the preexisting Hanakahi economic network. In only a little time, they had set up quite the impressive trade network, sponsoring voyages to chart the routes between their own coast and the far west, harboring at the distant port of Tsutongmerang, and even establishing a route to the Ilfolk – navigating a tricky series of currents that required a somewhat roundabout route.

Even as this proceeded nicely, the Exatai's sailors started to explore at the southern edge of their Nakalani charts, claiming the Isles of Sorrow from their former Jiphan owners, and using them as valuable stopover point on the western route.

The increasingly bitter and by-now extended feud between the Grandpatriarch and the Independent Conclaves of Helsia had to be put on hold, for the Grandpatriarch himself would march with the Moti armies to the north. Of course, that only halted the personal rivalry between Aisen himself and the little churches; the competition between the Conclaves and the rest of the Iralliamite apparatus continued unabated. With enormous funds backing them up, the Church set up a new temple complex in the old Faronun town of Caeru, and a seminary in Trovin. With newly educated elite and a large amount of money to be thrown at the problem, as well as a slightly less hardline stance (essentially, that priests would be free to spread whatever outside of their churches, while remaining thoroughly orthodox inside), it was hoped that the rift could be healed.

Naturally, the hopes were all dashed. Aisen had gone out of the field of public consciousness in Opios, but he had never really been present in Helsia proper (for obvious reasons). Even with his popularity rebounding slightly, owing to his presence on the front-line, the Faronun distrust of the distant Grandpatriarchy continued with just as much venom as ever, and the new priests served only to create a parallel clergy, not exactly pushed out by the Independents, but not exactly pushing them out, either. In truth, the Conclaves seemed to be gaining even more steam, if that were possible: their own clergy had begun to hold assemblies and create a new hierarchy.

That said, the rest of the church's initiative garnered rather more success: the king of Kilar agreed to begin patronizing church activities in the region, including a new group of monasteries at the fringes of the traditionally Zyeshu Haunted Forest, while monastic order proliferated at every corner.

And so life plodded on here, entirely untouched by the great war to the north.

Almost.

* * * * * * * * *​

The sound of water murmured at the edge of hearing, but if it tried to tell Covo something, he couldn't tell what. Over it, the sound of the turning wheel, of the clacking from within the mill as the machined gears turned and turned. The grindstone lay dormant – the millers had seen to that when they'd abandoned the place, but the rest of the machinery had been left there, for the men to stare and marvel at.

To be precise, it was an overshoot watermill; a channel from the nearby stream ran in a narrow, stone-lined crevice, through a chute that passed above the wheel. From there, the water dropped, turning the wheel with marvelous efficiency. Hard to believe so little water could move such an edifice.

First-Lerai sat astride his horse, mesmerized by the turning motion. “Would that we were such builders...”

“Some of our people are, Ayasi,” said Birun. “I have seen mills like this before, in the borderlands with the Kothari. It is one of their inventions.”

The Ayasi turned in the saddle, frowning. “And how would this device have passed from there to here? All my lands lie between, and I have never seen one such as this in Moti, nor even in the Sesh. Surely someone would have adopted such an invention.”

“The Satar...” began a younger Bisrian general, Meral, “While they are not in league now, they have been allies before. Perhaps they lent one another aid.”

“Or perhaps someone just moved,” Covo said, annoyed. “From the Had to the Markha.”

First-Lerai regarded him for a moment, then laughed. “Indeed! Ha! I suppose that would explain such a thing. Come then, scribes!” he motioned behind him, and a few reedy-looking fellows rushed to join him. “Copy down the plans for this construct.” It was an instruction they had heard before; Lerai was a curious ruler – in both senses of the word – and he'd insisted to them that they keep careful notes on how the Satar did anything. The Emperor's obsession with them had certainly earned some mutterings in the ranks, but most seemed to regard it as exactly the sort of dangerous thing a military mind had to do to defeat them.

Lerai gestured the rest of his party forward, and the bodyguards rode in ranks on either side as his war council proceeded. “Aside from the Xieni serpent, none of our riders have found the Satar south of the River.”

“You already have won a great victory over Sianai,” began Meral, “They are too cowar – ”

“Shut up,” snapped Birun.

Lerai inclined his head. “Do not presume the pack is beaten because we wounded a wolf.” He paused, thoughtful, “Though this Talephas lad is more clever than I'd thought. And, apparently, has a firmer hold on his rule than I'd have thought. That he would not respond to a battle-challenge!”

“My lord, perhaps – ”

The Ayasi waved his hand again, and Meral fell silent. “It is of no matter. We have already conquered a whole swathe of land. If we must cross the River Markha to defeat him, then so be it.”

Birun shook his head. “Crossing the river will be dangerous.”

“But doable,” Covo said. He was still astounded that they deigned to listen to him, but overcame the nervousness to continue. “The Faronun have a great fleet at our disposal. Rumor has it that it is twice the size of the Satar.”

“You don't mean for us to sail across?”

“With a force of two hundred thousand? That would be... something of a nightmare. No – we could have the Faronun turn their flank, lay siege to Sacossa. Even with a quarter our own men, they are enough to hold off the Satar if Talephas turns against them. And if he doesn't, Admiral Rafin can lead his own attack, and distract them long enough for us to ford the river.”

“But what of the Accan Expedition?” Meral complained. “The Satar are no incompetents at naval warfare; we cannot assume the Faronun will easily turn them aside.”

“Maybe not, but...” Covo paused for a moment, gathering his thoughts. “But we should not try to fight the last war.” At this, the Ayasi turned to him in contemplation.

“Explain,” Birun grunted.

“The failure of that fleet wasn't all that surprising. No one even worried about the Accan fleet then. This... This is different. We know they have a fleet. Our own is based in Onesca, a mere hundred miles from here. They are well-supplied, well-led, and motivated. And we're not trying to sail across the Kern in some grand armada – we're crossing what is, frankly, a rather small river.”

As Meral began to raise some other obnoxious objection, a rider dashed up to the rear of the column.

“Ayasi! Ayasi!” With great gasps, he pulled his horse up alongside the Emperor. “Word from the south! They – ”

* * * * * * * * *​

* * * * * * * * *​

They came from the west, like the god of death himself.

No one had expected the frontier to remain peaceful, of course – Birun's incursion into the Vithanama had ensured their hostility, and the old campaigns against the Vithana had put the Eha tribe firmly in the Satar camp. But the Eha Vithana had little and less to bring to the table – a minor army, more hunters than soldiers – and the Vithanama had rather more serious issues to work out than vengeance.

But somehow, none of that mattered.

The army mustered forty thousand, from half a dozen disparate lands. Even to one another, they seemed foreign: the Telha, with their long warhorns and flattened foreheads; the Eha Vithana, with their small desert steeds and glittering armors of bronze discs; the Vithanama, bejeweled and led by their maskless prince Satores; and of course the Satar, who need no introduction. Every man traveled with half a dozen steeds in tow, and the force seemed to stretch from horizon to horizon.

No one had expected the frontier to remain peaceful. But no one had expected this, either.

Eshirath was the first target of their wrath, the little trading city standing almost without walls at this point, so battered had it been by repeated attacks in the last century. Almost without contest, it surrendered; Karamha stood a little longer, but its garrison was only minimal, a thousand or so at best, and the Moti field armies seemed to have vanished from the region entirely. They were overrun, of course, and after two weeks of warfare, the host stood on the edge of the old Empire.

And then they crossed it. Pouring over the frontier, they moved in a great swarm, their scouts buzzing in every direction, raiding and pillaging as they went, supplying themselves from the land. Riders fanned out in front of them, trying to give warning to the towns before them, but there were no large forces in range to intercept; all that these towns could do for the moment was board up their proverbial windows and hunker down in fear of the assault. Thousands of fields burned, tens of thousands of farmers fled south and east, driven before the steppe.

And having turned aside every minor force that might have stood in their way, the army of the steppe came across their first real challenges – the old, heavily fortified towns of Lotumbo and Yashidim. Both had been built up for centuries in the long series of border wars between the Ardavai and the Moti, and though a century had passed since the War of the three Gods and since the place had been a frontier at all, their walls insurmountable. The horsemen towed no siege train.

Naturally, then, they bypassed the cities entirely. Though the raiders remained within sight of the watchtowers for several days, the army itself melted into the east, and only then did it strike the city garrisons that perhaps this army had been more audacious than they could have dreamed.

Immediately, the alarm went up through the country. The hundred fortresses of the pass leading to Gaci girded up for battle, levies being raised in great numbers to man them. The capital of the Empire had always seemed impregnable, but no one dared to take any chances, not with the Empire's heartland at stake.

Finally, the army made its move, and swooped upon the city of old Moti with rams cut from nearby forests, and ladders fashioned on the site. The horsemen did not make for good besiegers, but with only a levy force to oppose them, they hardly needed to be trained in this kind of warfare, and they came over the walls and through the gates in waves, hundreds at a time. By the time the first night fell, the city had already been broken.

Moti, despite its ancient name, hadn't been a center in the empire since the War of the Crimson Elephant. But the city itself and the country around it did house a number of the old Godlike families' estates, and while most of the leaders were off in the war, or had escaped to more heavily fortified locations, a few still fell into the hands of the western army, who ceremonially cut their hair and paraded them in shame before taking up their prisoners and loot and filtering back west. A quick prod south burned much of Lumada as well, and like that, the attack was over.

The war, of course, was not.

* * * * * * * * *​

Their silence was almost total.

At long last, the Ayasi spoke. “This makes things problematic.”

As the other advisers began to speak at once, Covo could only think of one thing – his home in Yashidim. “Talessa,” he whispered. He had left her in the south; he'd thought she'd be safe from harm there. She would be seventeen in five days.

Around him, silence fell again as the Ayasi lifted his hand. “Enough. We will deal with Prince Talephas in short order. We shall cross the Markha and smash his host. Then we shall return south to deal with this 'Satores' character, if he's not already dead.”

“My lord!” said Covo, making a gesture of obeisance as best he could in the saddle. “I beg you give me leave to return home. My daughter... my family... they are in Yashidim.”

Lerai regarded him with hard eyes for a moment. “No,” he said, firmly. “Yashidim is well-guarded, and I need my men here.” His gaze softened for a moment. “Chief Covo,” he said, surprising the Uggor quartermaster, “The Kothari have already sent ten thousand to reinforce our southern cities. The Katdhi army will add another fifty thousand. Your daughter will be safe.”

As the Ayasi turned and began to shout orders, Covo could hear his own heartbeat in his ears. Motionless for half a minute, he started when Birun slapped him on the back.

“One more battle, lad.”

* * * * * * * * *​

The failure of the Dulama army to capture Thiago hadn't really been that decisive a defeat. Cairl's armies had mostly escaped from the battlefield unscathed, and after regrouping, they seemed in a good position to spring into action again – especially as the threats loomed from every direction. But apparently, the reverse had rattled the Dulama leadership, and the Emperor seemed indecisive. Combined with the mobility and ferocity of the Vithanama, this hemming and hawing served only to force the westerners into continually flat-footed positions, as they were driven back down the Abrea league by league.

But by far, the critical blow in the war would come from an unexpected corner. After gathering their own soldiers in the estuary of the Thala, the Trahana suddenly struck north. The great speed of the army stunned the scattered and outnumbered Dulama defenders, and though the northern river boats made good stands in some places, nearly catching their foes off-balance a couple of times, the immensely superior Trahana armies easily outclassed their opponents.

It was a recipe for disaster. With almost the entire Dulama field army in the east, they had practically nothing in between the Trahana and the capital at Aeda. Practically the only thing that even slowed the Trahana was their own caution – they could hardly believe their own good luck, and took two months to reach Aeda. The capital, though it raised a considerable militia garrison, took one look at the enormous force standing outside its walls, and promptly surrendered. Like that, the war was already over.

– or at least, it would have been, if Aeda was really the key to the north.

But the city, though enormous and quite wealthy, did not provide a magic end to the war. The Dulama field army, though it had been beaten repeatedly, still existed, and Cairl made straight for his capital. Only on the banks of the Thala was it finally defeated by a joint Vithanama and Trahana force, and even this did not end the conflict. Former Dulama generals still controlled large swathes of the north, and though their hold over the Thuaitl evaporated, the warlords there showed little inclination to kowtow to any of their neighbors.

Some hope surfaced of reforging the old coalition that had attacked the Dulama only a few years before. The Narannue, led by their king, attacked the Dulama as their back was turned, gaining a great strip of land, culminating in the capture of the gold mines they had coveted for so long. Though the Noaunnahanue seemed less enthusiastic, there was reason to believe that their Ther confederates, at least, might be interested in trying their luck in the southern lands.

Other concerns of Emperor Arjannun had to be put on the backburner, of course, given the cost and effort they had to invest in the immense northern expedition. Nevertheless, the Trahana still prodded at the edges of the known world a little more, pushing back the shroud of terra incognita on every side. The great island chain to the southwest of their heartland seemed to continue as far as they dared explore it, and the limiting factor on their maps turned out to be the seaworthiness of their vessels rather than a shortage of islands to chart.

On the other side of the world, trade with the far east continued to slowly pick up once more. Though the straits around Suran had yet to really stabilize, the arrival of a new group of foreign traders, reported variously as “Hanakana” and “Kothara” stimulated the demand for tea, among other things. Though voyages to the east were long and perilous, they had become increasingly profitable, and the merchant families of old Haina became increasingly daring in pursuing them.

Though reticent to join the war, Noaunnaha certainly found ways to occupy itself. The construction of the northern dam had opened that region to settlement, to be sure, but at the same time, Noaunnahanue colonists began making their way west in greater and greater numbers. The Sorgh tribes on their frontiers posed neither threat nor even resistance, as many willingly settled in the new frontier towns, hoping for a chance at a better life than that in the desert. Expeditions deep into the desert reported finding an inexplicable, tremendous series of stone pyramids, remnants of a civilization so long past that even the Sorgh knew not their name.

But the heart of the Noaunnaha would always be their ship families, a diverse bunch whose number now started to include Therans and even a few from the far west. The furthest colonies, like the new city of Hariha on the fringes of the Reokhar Eshai, hardly seemed to be governed by the city of Noaunnaha at all, but the light hand of governance did not overly concern the ship-lords – theirs was a subtler empire than that.

On the other hand, subtlety had very little staying power. Though their own lands seemed quite safe, the ship-lords had grown somewhat uneasy with the situation in the far west: the Rekohar were on the move once more. Though the Eshai had essentially conquered everything they deemed worth having on their southern side, campaigns against northern tribes – the mysterious Chamshi, and the far off kingdom of Saṭabo – occupied a large chunk of their military, and frequent visitors to the court of the Vashaluy did not fail to notice that the Reokhar ruler rarely appeared. It might have been only a minor annoyance for most merchants, but certainly, no envoy wanted to chase down their ruler to have an audience in the wild and uncharted north... and the chilly reception they got when the ruler wasn't there did little to help the western colonists sleep.

Languishing in obscurity, the southern tribes seemed to stagnate even as the sails of outsiders appeared in greater and greater numbers. It was a troubling situation, for the Trahana power was rumored to be so vast that their lord could but turn his hand and the tribesmen would drop dead. Of course, most thought that an exaggeration, but the reality of the situation was that they could not afford to antagonize the westerners, and they likewise could not remain standing still.

Both the Zar and Stato'i saw fit to challenge the status quo by expanding into their neighbors. The Zar, with a somewhat more placid neighborhood, found this a little easier – no one really had the might to challenge them for hundreds of miles in any direction. They had word that a northern people lurked in lands unknown, though, and that perhaps these men would someday wander into the jungles much as the strange Trahana had appeared on their shores, but the possibility seemed so remote that few considered it worth worrying over.

The Stato'i had rather tougher opponents, but a far stronger power base of their own. Launching an expedition to the north, they nearly subdued the peninsula there entirely, before pressing on to seize a number of the islands between themselves and the old land of Suran.

Even Atsan seemed to revive from a long slumber, sending out envoys to its neighbors and trying to gain some traction in the trading ports around the region. But they had to contend with the arrival of the distant Kothari, a people with enormous vessels and impressive technology – not to mention quite a lot of purchasing power. Quickly, these foreigners attracted most of the attention of the region, and though they relied on safe ports to keep their ships on this end of a distant voyage, few kings of this land would dare oppose them.

* * * * * * * * *​

A titans' clash obscures the littler fights around it. The War of the Ashen Throne, which had so recently been the focus of two of the world's great powers, was now reduced to a mere sideshow. Certainly, the Gallatene Halyrate still fought for its very life, and Ognyan struggled to keep Brunn together in the face of the young adventurer Fulwarc. But they fought isolated.

Eager to gain the upper hand, several forces struck immediately.

Amassing a considerable force under his command, Fulwarc III marched immediately for the vulnerable armies of Ognyan. Of course, the still-young lord had not really taken much time to plan the battle, and though he could reasonably expect to hold his own against Ognyan himself, he soon found the Savirai had hurried to support the Brunnekt king; he faced an army nearly twice his size. A sensible general would have retreated at this point, but the Savirai had gone to great pains to infuriate the king of Cyve, and he met them in battle regardless of the odds.

There was no stirring tale of heroism overcoming all that was thrown at him here. Fulwarc's host was quite simply smashed. In quick succession, the lord of Helt was cut down, and the Cyvekt armies turned tail and fled to the coast. The Nechekt nearly disintegrated within a single week, and the Savirai, confident their northern allies could handle what remained, turned and marched south, determined to end the Gallatenes once and for all.

But the result of that battle did not become known until quite a bit later, and the Stetin lands did not stand still. A mere month after the Savirai withdrawal, indeed, perhaps spurred on by what seemed like the end of imminent danger, a cabal of prominent nobility formed in the Brunnekt heartland. Waiting until the royal family were once again separated, their assassins appeared quite suddenly in the chambers of Martuska, stabbing her repeatedly in the bathtub. This would be followed suit by attempts on the young Prince Gerulf's life, and though he survived, the kingdom was greatly shaken.

Indeed, that was all that was needed for the cracks to begin to appear.

With Martuska dead, one of the last things terrorizing the nobility had been removed. As Ognyan struggled to retain his hold on Seehlt, and sent Gerulf to try and pursue the Cyvekt into the sea, the nobility in old Wer rose in rebellion themselves. The Satar and allies had probably overestimated the resentment in this region, as much of the oldest nobility here had done well by the Brunnekt rule: the chance for independence would actually be seized most quickly by younger and less-established houses out of Brunn proper.

From here, things could only get worse; Ereithaler, having waited for many years on the sidelines, finally plunged a dagger into the Brunnekt flank, almost taking the last of their oldest cities. The garrison in Flamhelt barely kept the Seehlt nobility in line through sheer force of numbers, but the kingdom seemed to be coming apart at the seams.

Though Ognyan managed to hold on for the moment and Fulwarc had been decisively beaten, the true field of battle had always been in the south, in Gallat. And it was here that a strange sort of war began to take shape. The Aitahists sent their Goddess' army from the deep desert into the north, their declared aim being Sirasona, but the larger Savirai army did not back them up, instead refusing battle until their cavalry returned from the north. And even when these cavalry did return, the Gallatenes continued right along refusing battle as well. For neither side really wanted the barren wasteland that had become the interior of Gallat; both tried to draw the other over it.

The stalemate could only be broken in one way – the Savirai had vowed to burn Sirasona to the ground in vengeance for Kintyra, and after some time of this war of give and take, they readied their armies and attacked west, taking the rather less denuded path of southern Gallat. Here, though conditions were not exactly perfect, they could at least find some forage, and with the larger numbers on their side, it seemed worth the risk.

The two armies met a little west of Jedim – the Savirai had bypassed the city, knowing that they could not afford to try taking it with a Gallatene army around. Even then, knowing that they could not leave the city in their rear, either, they had organized a considerable covering force to ensure there would be no dramatic last-moment sally.

Both sides were fully cognizant of their strengths and weaknesses, but the Gallatenes, armed with their much simpler war aims (stay alive) had been able to force the issue much better, and they kept the fighting on level ground for their pike formations. Immediately, the Savirai harrassed their enemy's flank with their cavalry columns, trying to draw away the Airani and scattered few Gallatene horse, but both maintained their discipline, pushing the fight into an extended skirmish that seemingly went to neither force's advantage.

In the meantime, the Gallatenes pushed into the middle with their pike formations, but the Savirai gave ground here, too, harassing them with light infantry from a distance, hoping to exhaust their foes before turning and giving battle. The Gallatenes did not allow themselves to be drawn quite so neatly into that kind of trap – instead, they maneuvered themselves such that the Savirai could not withdraw quite so readily without running into their own siege lines around Jedim. Faced with this kind of unfavorable position, the Savirai Emperor withdrew a little to the northeast, using the lines of circumvallation (and their attendant fortifications) to anchor his flank.

Even now, the Aitahists felt by far the more confident side – they could now draw the enemy into a much more difficult battle, and they had engaged the Gallatenes. But the Halyr seemed a bit more clever than that, still not giving them the fight they wanted on their own terms; as the sun began to set it seemed like neither side had really gained anything.

Then, without warning, the Savirai began to withdraw – not merely from the field, but also from their siege lines.

It was some time before anyone began to sort out exactly what had happened, but evidently the Airani had arrived in full force – not merely the five thousand or so cavalry who had been covering the Gallatene flanks, but an army of nearly twenty thousand more from the south. Only the Dual Empire's excellent reconnaissance had caught the danger in time, and their withdrawal, though abrupt, had likely saved their army from destruction.

Both sides had failed in their immediate goals – the Savirai hadn't even come close to Sirasona, and the Gallatenes hadn't made a real dent in the Empire's field army, either. Maninist incursions into Occara generally met with limited success, but the war that commenced in the mountains there had a confused logic all its own, and neither side gained much traction.

But even as the Savirai invasion had been forced back, the war still further south escalated. Sherakhin had left most of his other fronts practically unguarded – the enormous army he'd brought to the north had more or less exhausted his resources. He'd calculated this quite carefully, of course – the Farubaidans could not be sure that the apparent Airani withdrawal from Mahid was more than a simple feint, and though he had effectively conceded the River Peko to the enemy, the Carohan raids that followed this only succeeded in capturing miles and miles of useless desert. His own cities remained quite safe from capture at least, even if Carohan raids poked at them from land and sea alike now.

Even so, the Aitahists were hardly the only ones raiding. Creeping almost unnoticed into the mountains, the Gallatenes slipped a force of some five hundred cavalry through lands that adhered exclusively to Maninism – lands that bore no love at all for their Aitahist persecutors. The Savirai would not even learn of their existence before they crossed the high forests and came roaring out of the Haidali on the other side. Their target, a surprisingly undefended Krsh, had somehow escaped unscathed through all the Savirai wars, but the Gallatenes did no spare the gold mines or anything else, burning the town to the ground, sabotaging half a dozen mines and burning the rest, and taking an enormous quantity of bullion with them as they vanished into the mountains before a Savirai counter-attack could find them.

Between all the fighting, the few bright spots of hope scurried unappreciated.

Refugees cowering in southwestern Gallat finally returned to some of their homes, and though the vast majority of the damage looked like it might never be repaired, a great number settled in Pamala, building off of the shield and still-surviving remnants in Selessan. Indeed, an enormous group of religious militants and retired veterans began to settle there as well, and served as a shield for much of the rest of the realm – not to mention a salient that would make life quite difficult for the Aitahist allies' coordination.

The Halyrate of Gallat (for the old league had been by now disbanded) pushed still further in other spheres – actively encouraging the growth of new religious orders, as well as revisiting old doctrines. Aelona and Kintyra became “Haradyr”, on roughly the same level as Talad – holy figures whose mystical power could not be denied, but not quite intrinsically linked to the reincarnations of new Aitahs. Indeed, the new development – an acknowledgment that the old ideas were likely here to stay – had some serious consequences moving forward.

Disaffected Savirai tribes began to revisit old ideas, and reports of some switching their allegiances were not uncommon. Even though these problems remained limited to regions behind the front line, they certain prompted feelings of unease from the Savirai leadership, who saw localized violence begin to flare up on the northern fringe of the Dual Empire.

* * * * * * * * *​

* * * * * * * * *​

And so it was on the eve of the end that the Farubaidan fleet amassed at Onesca. They had not gathered all four hundred of the allied fleet, for that would have been both unwieldy and far too risky, but even the three hundred that they did assemble here outnumbered their Satar counterparts, if not quite overwhelmingly. The key, really, was to keep coordination and to fight as a cohesive whole; the lesson of the Battle of the Bays would be in both admirals' minds as they drew together for the fight. The Carohan, Olui Rafin, managed his own fleet very carefully, ensuring that there would always be an attendant force guarding them on land when they beached their vessels, and that none of his squadrons strayed too far in any one direction.

And so he bore down on the city of Sacossa, with the fifty thousand men of the Farubaidan army in tow; the Ayasi would await the result here.

The Carohan fleet did not begin the landings immediately, for there was much fear throughout their force that the Accans might take them by surprise, which could end in absolute disaster. Indeed, late in the morning, a fleet of Accan ships did appear over the horizon, driven by ten thousand oars and a steady wind that carried them into battle. Drawing up in several ranks, the Farubaidans stretched across the horizons, and accepted the challenge.

The fleets careened towards one another, gliding with sinister purpose above the waves, faster even than a man on horseback. But at the last possible second, before they plunged into melee, the Accans unleashed something of a secret weapon. Quicklime.

White powder flew into the wind, creating a great cloud across the front. Though the erratic winds did not push it evenly across the Farubaidan fleet, great sections of it suddenly raced into a haze, one that immediately became a choking, blinding hell, a nightmare for the marines onboard, and for the oarsmen below-deck as well. With their front suddenly ragged, great sections had the Accans tear amongst them, but other squadrons pushed forward regardless, smashing into the Accans and fighting them ably on their own.

Within seconds, it became a hopelessly confused melee. The initial attack had worked well enough, but the powder settled from the air into the ocean waves, and in all, only a few ships had actually been blinded. It was an effective initial shock tactic, but no more. Instead, the waves would be won by the usual grind and grit of a naval engagement, with men screaming to either side as the arrows and flames flew, as rams crashed into the sides of ships and left them holed and settling into the water, as oarsmen panicked and scrambled to escape their trap with the water rushing in.

It seemingly had neither rhyme nor reason, but as the fighting wore on for hours, hundreds of ships lying crippled or badly wounded, scattered across the waves under the hot midafternoon sun, finally, finally someone had the good sense to pull back. The Farubaidans were the first to do so – the landing was not worth risking the entire fleet for, and there would be other chances to cross the river, whereas the Accans seemed determined to defend their lines here.

So ended the first day.

The Accan admiral, Ucco Tepecci, breathed a little easier. Though he knew the Farubaidans would be back, possibly the next day, he had a little bit of space to contemplate his defenses. Though they spent most of the evening towing back damaged vessels to the city, it seemed to him like they would have a fairly decent shot at keeping the land free from Farubaidan landings – or at least hold them to very minimal gains.

So he drew up his fleet early the next morning, and sure enough, the Farubaidans sallied forth from the south once more. The two fleets immediately tangled once again the confused currents near the mouth of the Markha, and though the Farubaidans braced for some sort of ploy once more, the Accans' chemical surprise seemed to have been a one-time thing – especially as the winds were less strong today. Once again, then, the battle would grind out over the course of the day, and once again, each ship would emerge from the battle looking more like a pincushion than transportation.

And it transpired that the Accans drove off the Farubaidans for a second day, and Tepecci patted himself on the back, congratulating their men for having successfully defended Sacossa – right up until he realized that the Carohans had employed a gambit of their own.

For another Carohan fleet had slipped around his initial line of defenses, just out of sight of the coastline, and landed a crack force of raiders on the northern shore. Immediately, said raiders struck south for the city of Sacossa, and while the Satar onshore scrambled to ready the defenses, another landing party struck across the river, and another from every direction. Suddenly, things seemed impossible to control, and the Accans finally pulled much of their fleet out of the city to avoid too many problems.

But as the Carohans closed the noose around the city, it quickly transpired that they hadn't abandoned the city altogether.

Far from it.

For while Sianai had preoccupied the Moti in the south, the Satar had busily enlarged and improved the fortifications of the city until they had become some of the most impressive on the shores of the Kern. Initial Carohan probes did not inspire, and the men had to decide whether to settle down for a long siege or not.

Even then, their hand was forced – a new Accan army under Arteras emerged from the hinterland, and bore down on the intruders with near seventy thousand men, almost all pikes. With visions of the Accan Expedition flitting through everyone's head, Admiral Rafin ordered his own soldiers to withdraw south of the Markha, and the stalemate ensued once more.

It was an apocalypse deferred, and First-Lerai had grown annoyed.

But without the Farubaida taking Sacossa – which looked unlikely now – the plan to ford the river could not be done safely. Likely Talephas would attack when they arrived on the other side, or still worse, when they were half-across and unable to bring their full force to bear. But a stalemate would win them nothing but another costly round of supplies shipped up from their homelands, another year of war. According to later writings, it was Birun who found a way around all that.

Talephas' war councils had not been a happy place to begin with, and they grew only more grim when their scouts reported that First-Lerai was on the move. None knew exactly what he would do – he seemed to be moving westward – but they had only just received word of the capture of Asihkar. That move, by itself, shocked the army: if the Moti could project so far across the steppe as to take the ancient city by the lake, then they could surely continue on, perhaps as far as Henan. Sianai urged them to consider moving west as well, and it was a stroke of sheer luck that his outriders had already begun to do so.

For First-Lerai, it transpired, had not elected to leave the area at all. In fact, his western move was simply to bring his army into the foothills of the Rhoms, where, though the rocky and forested terrain would leave them quite poorly deployed for a while, they could entirely bypass the wider stretches of the Markha. Inland, the river was no barrier at all; though the soldiers grumbled, they scrambled across stream and brook, and in the end emerged on the other side with their enormous force mostly intact, ready for battle.

This was fortunate, for the Satar were ready to give it.

Alerted to Lerai's maneuver, Talephas redeployed his soldiers, and readied them for the third armageddon. While the Moti could not effectively deploy to the field all at once (their army was simply too large to do much more than arrive in large chunks), their vanguard could surely hold off the Satar long enough for reinforcements to arrive. And so both sides plunged into battle; it was here, in a valley which had needed no name for a thousand years, where the decisive battle of the war would be fought.

The valley had trees on three sides: essentially, in every direction where the ground rose. But they did not quite enclose the battlefield, either, otherwise neither side would have chosen it for their site of battle; it was just wide enough to allow passage of either army. The Satar drew up in many ranks, in the open fields at the base of the valley, one flank defended by the stream that joined the Markha further east, and the other somewhat constricted by the forests – though, here, too, there was room enough for some men to slip by.

In the forefront of his army, Talephas had his men dig a series of fortifications. Possibly they were inspired by the bee-traps of Ephasir, possibly not, but in either case, owing to a serious shortage of bees, they filled the trenches with piles of kindling, oil, and lumber, and lit them afire.

To this, First-Lerai quickly drew up a vanguard, and reinforced it steadily as his men trickled out of the woods; it was already midafternoon when the battle finally got serious. He sent this, the first half of his army, well over a hundred thousand in strength, forward to meet the Satar near their trenches. The elephant corps immediately shied from the burning trenches, and the Moti pulled them back, but the infantry fared little better, as Accan and Evyni bowmen peppered them from behind the barriers. Forward advanced a great contingent of Kratoan bows, but they could only exchange fire with the Satar, not drive them off.

Each of the flaming trenches appeared incomplete, and the invitation seemed an obvious trap. No matter; the Moti strategy had already accounted for a certain expenditure of cannon-fodder, and a great force of infantry advanced through the gaps, pouring into the mass of the Satar. Here, the Vedai Satar and Evyni men at arms gave a great shout, and charged in full force, shaking the first ranks of the Moti greatly. Still, the pressure of the whole mass of Uggor was far too much for anyone to truly escape, and so the battle only escalated, with men fighting desperately, no hope of retreat inviting them anywhere but onward.

It was then, as the Satar host engaged his fully, that the Ayasi called to his men, exhorting them to great deeds, to reflect the memories of ancestors, and to follow the Godlikes until they had broken the Exatai. And, putting his spurs into his horse, he led an enormous cavalry charge, wheeling about the Satar left, and plunging across the stream into their flank.

But it was exactly as Talephas had feared, and exactly as he had planned for, and the Accan pikes gave a shout of their own and plunged forward into the fight gladly. As the horsemen emerged from the stream, throwing up streams of water in gouts that glistened with reflected firelight, they met the full teeth of an Accan pike rush.

The screams of horses almost overwhelmed them. First-Lerai's own Tamed Satar shouted in confusion, and the entire Moti right of the army seemed to be shaken.

It was only fitting that they had reserved the elephants for just this moment.

The great beasts lumbered forward, their mahouts giving the fires a wide berth, and as they plunged into the phalanx, the Accans shouted in dismay. The ranks opened to allow them some room, but even as the pachyderms cleared the path, First-Lerai's forces plunged into the gaps, and began to set among the phalanx from every direction. It seemed that in mere moments, the Accans would be shredded.

But the pikes kept their cool, and at the sounds of a Satar war-gong, they turned, and the entire interiors of the phalanx seemed to simply wheel, facing the intruders in hedgehog-like sheltrons. It had not been what their turning drills had been for, by any means, but it proved effective now, and as the battle's tide seemed to turn again, there was another call that echoed through the valley.

The Satar cataphracts had charged.

This force had been kept in reserve, but now they splashed forward through stream, and took the Moti flankers in the flank themselves. Their momentum nearly carried away the Moti flank once more, but even as First-Lerai rallied his troops, he found himself face to face with Talephas and the Argavedai bodyguard.

Now the Redeemer plunged forward, his Aspect Warriors screaming around him. The arrows flitted about them like annoying flies, of no consequence here; instead First Lerai ran forth to meet them, a contingent of the Golden Hats rallying beside him, and the two bodyguards smashed into one another.

Even as this battle raged, the Satar cavalry on the other flank were held in reserve – for scouts in the rearguard reported the Farubaidans had begun to stalk up the river, and though Arteras was shadowing their every move, and indeed gave them battle at many points, they could not be wholly assured that the Carohans wouldn't break through.

So instead it came down to a fight of the heroes, or so it seemed, the men getting cut down by the Redeemer and the Ayasi both, each displaying their swordsmanship by swatting aside the bodyguards of the other, slaying elite troops as though they were mere levies. The sword of Lerai found the neck of at least one silver-masked man, while Talephas' brought down the horse of a brave Uggor warrior who would be quickly trampled underfoot. And the two men found themselves face to face, and dozens of titanic blows would be delivered on either side, neither gaining the advantage as the fight drew on, the minutes passing as some stood entranced by the sight.

Suddenly, Lerai's sword found an opening, and he plunged it toward Talepha's unprotected face, but the spear of an Argavedai suddenly interspersed itself, and the Ayasi roared in anger. So, too, did Talephas, for he shouted that the Ayasi was his and his alone, and once more they met.

Another blow, Talephas took on the shield, and two more, he met with sword in hand. Then, as the horses drew close, he lashed out with his left hand, smashing his shield into the Ayasi's face – and though the Emperor ducked it easily, he nearly lost his balance, and Talephas' sword flicked out like a serpent's tongue.

It found blood.

It was as if an eternity passed in the time it took Lerai to fall from the saddle. Talephas made to cut him down then and there, but the Golden Hats surged forward with a shout, and they made a turtle of shields over their liege's person, and they pulled him from the worst of the fighting.

Lerai, hoisted onto the back of a wagon, was immediately checked for the seriousness of his wound. Talephas' sword had bit deeply into his forearm, and he found he could not hold a sword. Though the Ayasi turned an angry face to the heavens, he quickly recovered his senses, and prepared to direct the remainder of the battle from behind the front lines, ordering his men to sound the warhorns once more, to let his men know that he was still alive.

As the warhorns bellowed across the valley, their echo came more strongly than any normal echo – even in his melee, Talephas turned. Behind them, he saw, had emerged the Farubaidans, bloodied but intact.

This might have been too much for the Satar, but Talephas kept his cool, and as the cavalry continued to fight on the Satar left, he galloped back to command his forces, calling the Accan pikes from the unused right. With the stunning efficiency of a group that had practiced their art for years, and practiced this very maneuver for the past few months, they wheeled as a unit, and redeployed more quickly than could be believed to present a united front to the Farubaidans, who immediately charged forth into the battle.

And as the developments piled atop one another, yet another force joined the battle – Arteras' own soldiers, who, it transpired, had not exactly been defeated. These, too, were reinforced with archers from the Accan fleet, which had landed some distance downriver, and they engaged the Farubaidans, too; the battle had been turned entirely on its side, with the allies of the Ayasi and the Satar meeting each other roughly along the banks of the stream.

The decisive blow would finally come from the right, where Sianai called forth his cavalry, and called the Taudo skirmishers as well. With the latter in the front, they crept through the forests, which had almost gone unnoticed since the start of the battle, and, screaming, a thousand arrows rose from the forest like a flock of birds, accompanied by a Satar cavalry charge.

This was too much for the Moti left, ground down by hours of fighting amongst the hellish fire-pits, peppered by missiles, and now attacked by cavalry from the flank. As the panic spread, the army started to break. Even as First-Lerai shouted at them to maintain their position, the renewed attacks of the Redeemer and his Argavedai crashed into the Uggor cavalry, and steadily drove them back; all that the allied host could do now was retreat before the whole thing imploded in their faces.

The Satar pushed forward with a great shout, the pikes shredding what stands of resistance remained, the Taudo harrying those who fled, and the cavalry ensuring no one could remain too long in any one place. It was lucky for the Uggor that they had not gone so far south that the river blocked their way; as night fell, they could melt into the forests, and though the Taudo seemed even more at home then than they had before, much of the army still escaped unscathed.

Nevertheless, somewhere in the confusion, Sianai would slay the already-wounded Ayasi.

By the time morning had come, the core of the Empire's army had started to rally around Birun, far to the south, but with the Satar hard on his heels, he could do little more than keep them together. The Farubaidans had escaped by a different way, but they would have to make the hard march over the blazing heat of the Rahevat, and as he fled, the “Tamed” Satar in Siaxis quickly enough turned their cloaks to protect the monastery, and that, too fell to the triumphant Talephas.

A third armageddon had come and gone – and the sun still rose on the world that was left behind.

* * * * * * * * *​

A boy dreamed somewhere of heaven, before he was wrenched back to life.

He blinked at the sudden light, blinked again, and just like that, it already seemed dark. The sun set through the mountain trees, a saw-toothed light that burnt like a torch at the edge of his vision, but when he raised his head to look at it, the edges of his vision went black, and he nearly passed out. Swallowing, hoping that thick taste was just the taste of thirst and not of blood, he crooned softly, hoping someone would notice.

“It's all right, lad, I've got you.” The voice sounded familiar, and it was a few seconds before he could place it. Kevras, of the red mask. His friend.

The water streamed over his face, and into his mouth, and it was a few seconds more until he remembered how to drink. But the skein hovered over his face for only a few seconds before it was suddenly withdrawn, and the boy reached for it, his vision cloudy.

“Easy, now.”

“Where are we?”

“Still on the mortal plane.”

“Did we...? I mean...” He blinked again, and raised himself, hesitantly to his elbows. Around him, scattered as far as the eye could see, carpeting the valley in a confusion of black and gold and silver and steel and red, red, red, were corpses. “By the gods...”

The other Satar only nodded, and shaded his eyes against the sundown. “I think we may be too late to earn any more honor tonight, my friend.”

“But this is it, isn't it? This is what it looks like – the end of an empire.”

The Satar looked at him for a long, long moment, and laughed. It carried less humor than a leaky pail, and before the boy could even cringe, his fiend had stopped. “I know you haven't been south of the Rahevat before, lad, but their empire is not a single army. This war? Who knows how long it will last? Who knows if we've even won it?”

And the boy opened his mouth and closed it again, for there was nothing to say.

* * * * * * * * *​

Maps:

Spoiler :

Cities

Economic

Religions

Political

* * * * * * * * *​

OOC:

So it goes.

Stats should appear in the next couple of days, as should some NPC diplomacy.

OOC: I enjoyed that. So where exactly, right now, is my expeditionary force that is helping the Moti?

OOC: I enjoyed that. So where exactly, right now, is my expeditionary force that is helping the Moti?

ooc: Depends on where its heading. It could be going West or North. Either way you can be confident its somewhere in the Moti Empire.

I'll try not to cheapen it.

NK, this is probably one of your best ones yet.

Well, religious endeavours of a late-order minor not being mentioned probably has to do with a) pacing b) these endeavours being miniscule and probably fallacious c) the late-order minor is a god damn late-order minor but waaah you did not even mention my half-assed establishment of an actual religion.

I'll try being more concrete about it to hopefully be worth mentioning next time around! I imagine it as being Ilfolk blood faith mixed in with Indahagor through local Opulensi power mongerers' upper class children developing bastardous local philosophies.

To Toha, Zar, Stato'i, Tsutongmerang, Parna & Irnat
From Atsan

We have visited each of you in recent years, and wish to form stronger bonds between our nations. Atsan is a solid, old nation, you are new, fresh and vibrant. Might we use our strengths together to support each other to hide our weaknesses?

Top Bottom