End of Empires - N3S III

I really don't think 'nationalism' on an ethnic basis would become a factor any time soon even if we were following a blatant OTL idea track. The idea of one ethnic group to a nation is anathema to almost everyone at this point.

I'm agreed that nationalism in the 19th, 20th century sense is absurd at this point, my point is that cultural, linguistic and even religious diversity is not conductive to long term stability. There is a reason why you had polities divide down ethnic lines from antiquity forward (with the exceptional great empires ruling via military might over conquered peoples). Its inherent to human nature that men tend to congregate with those who are most similar to themselves, and this makes diversity destabilising in any polity.

What annoys me is that you are commenting on my internal politics, as opposed to anyone else's, in a not-so-obscure fashion as to reveal your own (probably IC) hopes or wishes as to what you want to happen, namely the decline of an empire that is not particularly friendly to your religion, and disguising it with an air of impartial scholarly analysis.

Firstly I note my original comment was generally noting civilisational decay across the board (self-evidently so in the West, Cradle and East) with a note that while decay was not presently manifest so dramatically in the Karapeshai Exatai, the seeds for future problems (listing some of them) were present. That's hardly focussing on your internal politics. The discussion squarely focussed on the Karapeshai Exatai once you decided to bring it there yourself by offering your own musings, which re-oriented the discussion your way instead of on my original point(1). If say Iggy had spoke up contesting my assertion that the cradle is descending down the road to civilizational collapse than we would be talking about the Farubaida rather than about the Karapeshai, likewise if Das was still around and blatantly denied the self-evident regarding the Moti.

Regardless its logically fallacious to dismiss the points I make on the basis of some hypothetical IC intention of mine, since intention has no standing on the substance of a point. Likewise your accusation of some secret malintent is ludicrous considering that if I really wanted to harm your interests (rather than simply defend mine) I wouldn't say a word on this topic in order to minimise the possibility that you might alter your behaviour to ameliorate potentially destabilising forced in your nation.

I am simply stating that the flexibility and governing strength of the Third Exatai is, as the great Axilias-ta-Alma mused, superior to either the first or the second.

Which I agreed with when I said and I quote.

"albeit it is a better structure for the Exatai than a central model if you consider the loss/benefits compared to a more centralised model of governance"

-

note

(1) I did clarify what I meant regarding the philosophical ramifications of Exatas in the event of weakness in response to Luckymoose, however that was not specific to the Karapeshai and applied in my examples to justify my point also to the Kothari Exatai. By osmosis the principle would also apply to the Vithanama and the steppe tribes which also uphold principles of Exatas (at least amongst the ruling class with regards to Lucky's nation)

I think the terms you're looking for (and more applicable) is "regionalism", "culturalism" or "unity".

"Regionalism" would be that people of a certain region would have common interests and experiences, and would band together based on said interests and experiences. An example of Regionalism would be the Eastern League. The common experiences would be fleeing from the Opulensi/Nahari Empires and contesting Leun's control of the Indigo Gates. The common interests would be to maintain their independence and to lessen Leunan control of the Acayan trade without giving the Opulensi a foothold int he region.

"Culturalism" would be that people of a certain culture would have common interests and experiences, and would band together based on said interests and experiences. An example of (violently forced, mind you) Culturalism is the Acajuren Republic. The common experiences would be the slow decay of the old region and culture to new arrivals, especially Leun and Aitahism. The common intent, from what I've gleened so far, is to preserve Acayan culture as a cornerstone of Republican unity.

"Unity" is a literal philosophy (an likely only an approximate translation of the actual term) developed by the ancient Seshweay which lead to the various Seshweay city states and senates to work together and fully utilize their burgeoning population advantage against the Arkage. The "Unity" principle served as the heart of many Seshwean states.

Meanwhile, "Nationalism" would be a confluence of both Regionalism and Culturalism, the establishment of a strong state structure based on such influences, and the artificial emphasis of the importance of such influences in differentiating a "nationality" from one's neighbors in order to justify and support the stability of the state, or the creation of such a state from a larger, non-national entity.

One problem is that cultural and regional boundaries are usually not clean, nor do they match cleanly. Many "national states", drawn with the idea of natural borders encircling areas of majority nationalities, face issues of significant subcultures and subregions that refuse "Nation-idea" and demand their own nation. Other times, balkanization can lead to ethnic, cultural, and regional strife; pogroms, war, ethnic cleansing, and other such things.

The idea of "Nationalization" itself has various detractors and negative examples throughout our history.

The Parthecans don't really have Nationalism. Our "bloodline union" concept is mostly a limited and scholarly theory at this point, and is somewhat similar to the more widespread "Great Family" concept of the Uggor, especially the Moti.

Even the Acajuren, who might be said to be trying to most to achieve "nationalism", are actually settling for cultural-based republicanism. The Acayan region has cultural inroads from Leunan and Aitahist influences. the Acayan culture, meanwhile, extends into portions of southern Lesa and northern and backcountry Leun. I'm not sure exactly what's going on though, that's up to LoE.

I'm agreed that nationalism in the 19th, 20th century sense is absurd at this point, my point is that cultural, linguistic and even religious diversity is not conductive to long term stability.
That hasn't been demonstrated to be true in this setting.

There is a reason why you had polities divide down ethnic lines from antiquity forward (with the exceptional great empires ruling via military might over conquered peoples).
That also hasn't shown to be the case in this setting.

Its inherent to human nature that men tend to congregate with those who are most similar to themselves, and this makes diversity destabilising in any polity.
You make a lot of assertions about things being 'inherent'. While humans do generally tend to congregate in similar groups, this does not immediately mean that having multiple groups in a single polity is any less stable than having similar groups together.

Firstly I note my original comment was generally noting civilisational decay across the board (self-evidently so in the West, Cradle and East)
Yeah, nope. There's upheaval, and some big players are falling apart, but Helsia is enjoying a small renaissance of ideas, from the development of medicine, to syncretism between faiths and the synthesis of whole new belief systems, the birth of the idea of 'science' as an independent discipline in Doru o Ierai, the incorporation of many ideas from Moti art and architecture (brought by refugees from one of the aforementioned collapses, incidentally), and the ongoing theatrical and literary works of the Farubaida.

So no, there's no trend across the board, it's self-evident to you only, and calling it decay in anywhere beyond a handful of places is outright wrong.

...with a note that while decay was not presently manifest so dramatically in the Karapeshai Exatai, the seeds for future problems (listing some of them) were present. That's hardly focussing on your internal politics. The discussion squarely focussed on the Karapeshai Exatai once you decided to bring it there yourself by offering your own musings, which re-oriented the discussion your way instead of on my original point(1). If say Iggy had spoke up contesting my assertion that the cradle is descending down the road to civilizational collapse than we would be talking about the Farubaida rather than about the Karapeshai, likewise if Das was still around and blatantly denied the self-evident regarding the Moti.
I'm talking about it now, and strongly disputing your claim.

Regardless its logically fallacious to dismiss the points I make on the basis of some hypothetical IC intention of mine, since intention has no standing on the substance of a point
Don't worry, most of us aren't dismissing your point, we're just disagreeing with them. Although it does seem like you're trying to further IC goals through OOC debate, which is a legitimate observation by Thlayli.

At any rate, I disagree with the vast majority of what you're saying here. You are making arguments that are rooted more in the history of our own world, than in the current context of N3S. You're using ten dollar words and two cent ideas.

Its inherent to human nature that men tend to congregate with those who are most similar to themselves, and this makes diversity destabilising in any polity.

Regardless its logically fallacious to dismiss the points I make on the basis of some hypothetical IC intention of mine, since intention has no standing on the substance of a point. Likewise your accusation of some secret malintent is ludicrous considering that if I really wanted to harm your interests (rather than simply defend mine) I wouldn't say a word on this topic in order to minimise the possibility that you might alter your behaviour to ameliorate potentially destabilising forced in your nation.

Enlightening the community about their supposed downfall within the game would probably force a behaviour change in certain players to attempt to stop it from occurring, causing it to occur. The ultra-divergent nature of the point of divergence is based around the inherent unpredictability and essentially quantum nature of socio-evolutionary development and the psych-cultural ramifications of this are staggering. Your application of a Catholic theologically based deterministic historical development leading to near-identical socio-cultural mores ignores modern knowledge of quantum instability and the inherently unpredictable nature of evolutionary psychology.

Your logic is astoundingly flawed throughout all of your statements that I have perused pertaining to this particular game. Every statement you have made, essentially believes that development in this world is the same as development on Earth, in every possible form.

You make a lot of assertions about things being 'inherent'. While humans do generally tend to congregate in similar groups, this does not immediately mean that having multiple groups in a single polity is any less stable than having similar groups together.

You acknowledge I'm right in my observation that humans generally congregate amongst those similar to themselves and this is pretty clear in this NES for the most part (since North King recognises the reality of the human condition to some degree) and yet you then assert that I'm wrong that it leads to instability despite plenty of evidence for the contrary existing IRL (ethnic wars, and racial tensions in places as far afield as Greece, France, Britain the US and Malaysia). The GM and the players of course influence how reality is presented in an NES, but evidence justifies my base assertion on the matter.

Yeah, nope. There's upheaval, and some big players are falling apart, but Helsia is enjoying a small renaissance of ideas, from the development of medicine, to syncretism between faiths and the synthesis of whole new belief systems, the birth of the idea of 'science' as an independent discipline in Doru o Ierai, the incorporation of many ideas from Moti art and architecture (brought by refugees from one of the aforementioned collapses, incidentally), and the ongoing theatrical and literary works of the Farubaida.

So no, there's no trend across the board, it's self-evident to you only, and calling it decay in anywhere beyond a handful of places is outright wrong.

Firstly, I noted signs of decay and a downward trajectory are present, along with potential extraneous catalysts for civilizational problems being at least theoretically present (such as plagues, which thrives in urban settings and which period medicine would not be able to deal with, or the expansion of steppe peoples into new areas).

I did not say that everything was collapsing now in all places as if we were in some sort of civilizational apocalypse. Indeed that doesn't even apply to the Moti in the present, as that region despite the destruction of a number of cities is more or less intact. I stated that if a collapse was to occur it would manifest several centuries into the future from the in-game present. Thus if in your mind you are thinking I am saying the faeces has hit the fan than no, I'm not saying that. Likewise if you think by decay I mean solely such things as war, and transient chaos, than you would be mistaken. I am talking about potentialities and long term trends here, not current politics. Which is why of course the notion I am trying to further IC goals against Thlayli is quite absurd (and rather amusing), seeing as (in addition to the fact he brought the topic of the Karapeshai up) nothing I have talked about is actually pertinent to the present with regards to him or anyone, and seeing as my observations don't actually serve me in any way IC in the long term considering a) a civilisation collapse if it occurs wouldn't help me at all vis a vis any other religion which is my main focus, b) it would hinder my ability to use trade and political networks to spread Iralliam and c) a post-collapse world with its small polities would be structurally challenging to the Church.

Secondly, as applied to your own nation, your observations don't actually contradict anything I have noted. Indeed if collapse does occur it won't have anything directly to do with the content of anyone's art, medical prowess, nascent technological artificers, religion or philosophy but on a mix of social and economic factors both intrinsic and extraneous to your nation as they progress over the next few centuries, and of course on the unpredictable possibilities that are beyond any players control.

Enlightening the community about their supposed downfall within the game would probably force a behaviour change in certain players to attempt to stop it from occurring, causing it to occur. The ultra-divergent nature of the point of divergence is based around the inherent unpredictability and essentially quantum nature of socio-evolutionary development and the psych-cultural ramifications of this are staggering. Your application of a Catholic theologically based deterministic historical development leading to near-identical socio-cultural mores ignores modern knowledge of quantum instability and the inherently unpredictable nature of evolutionary psychology.

Your logic is astoundingly flawed throughout all of your statements that I have perused pertaining to this particular game. Every statement you have made, essentially believes that development in this world is the same as development on Earth, in every possible form.

:lol: With regards to the bolded, your statement is completely unsupported with evidence and is logically questionable since it presumes the players are idiots (ergo, you are saying that because I said there is a problem, the hypothetical player bid to resolve said problems will result in collapse?). That's pretty funny. Likewise my point that intention has no bearing on the actual substance of a point is completely reasonable. A politician could criticise his opponent about a terrible economic policy with the intention that it would improve his electoral chances, but his self-serving intention does not mean that his opponents economic policy is not terrible, merely that our critic sees how a situation that objectively exists can serve his interests.

Now with regards to your statement regarding divergence you do have a point. To deal with where you are incorrect first however, you are wrong that I am applying "Catholic theologically based determinism" since nothing I have said has anything to do whatever with Catholic thought in any way at all, and I am not being deterministic (I am not saying any given factor will inevitably lead to the outcome of collapse, rather I'm pointing to existing problems and potential factors in the game that might lead to a scenario along lines that have previously occurred in the game, and which have antecedents OTL. I am also not saying that "because OTL humanity has a particular nature, therefore human beings share the same nature in the game, with this applying to my consideration". Most of the things I am referring too are not dependant on mankind in the game having the same characteristics of humanity OTL (the effects of war are one such thing, as is the effect of disruption in the economic network, or factors such as disease), or if they are they have been shown in their effects already in the game (religious conflict exists in the game, as does the presence for co-ethnics to associate together, and so does ethnic antagonism [as Iggy can note with regards to the Satars local name in his land], and in a broader sense states behaviour also follows OTL lines since players exist in the real world and aren't hypotheticals).

However (getting back to where you have a point) you are correct that collapse does not necessarily need to occur, nor is it necessarily that the internal (GM controlled) dynamics of a nations socio-cultural milieu need to follow OTL lines. My point however is that they have been present historically in the game already and are present now throughout the game. My assertion that we are trending towards collapse is thus entirely dependent on him.

Indeed In truth, what happens is actually entirely up to the GM, since his interpretation of player orders, and his decision to interject a random factor (such as say a plague, or famine) is the ultimate guiding force behind the game. My assertion that decline is present simply is my interpretation of how he has interpreted the game thus far (and of current effects within the same game) and a logical projection of his previous actions into the future (collapse has occurred before, recall update three, and possibly 10-11 [long intermission] 12 in the cradle) along a schema of what forces should reasonably apply if NK is consistent. OTL only comes into it when I go fishing for examples, and with regards to what I said about human nature [albeit the latter I assume on the basis of how the game has proceeded].

Since you asked, these are the words which the Lady spoke to me, and which I have written down. They were given to me in a vision and in the language of the Fish which I have translated for you into the language of Man.

But since you are a Man, I entreat you not to give this text to the Others, because it is for the Learned alone, She told me. But blessed will all be by our salvation, for that which happens to the head, must necessarily happen to the body.

I was sitting praying in Her City She appeared to me for the first time. She was in the guise of a fair maiden, fit to set the heart to beat, but I did not know who She was and in her blue tunic I took for Her for a rude servant and bid her leave.

A full hundred days passed before her next appearance wrapped in flames and with the head of an elephant and this time She asked "Do you know me?" But I did not and took Her for a dream even though I was awake.

The third time She appeared she came as a small girl-child who was crying having lost her cat. I took pity on Her and began to help with the search. During this She asked questions, the meaning of which I struggled to grasp, so great was Her Learning.

But it was only when She said: "He who shall find the interpretation of these words will never taste Istria."

Amused I asked Her what she would have us do: "Do you want us to fast? How should we pray? Should we give to charity? What diet should we observe?"

And She said: "Give the Aya'se what is his, give the poor what is theirs, but give yourself to me".

You acknowledge I'm right in my observation that humans generally congregate amongst those similar to themselves and this is pretty clear in this NES for the most part (since North King recognises the reality of the human condition to some degree) and yet you then assert that I'm wrong that it leads to instability despite plenty of evidence for the contrary existing IRL (ethnic wars, and racial tensions in places as far afield as Greece, France, Britain the US and Malaysia). The GM and the players of course influence how reality is presented in an NES, but evidence justifies my base assertion on the matter.
Diversity can be a catalyst for conflict, but I dispute that a place is doomed to conflict due to the presence of more than one culture. Also, conflict can easily form within a monoculture as well. You seem to be making the argument that the interaction of cultures leads invariably to conflict, which is what I dispute. If humans want to draw internal lines for a conflict, they'll find them, regardless of the ethnic makeup of a polity. Conversely, if there's no strong motives for conflict (economic, territorial, resource-based motives) then even a really heterogeneous population will be unlikely to succumb to instability.

Good to hear from you that North King recognizes the reality of the human condition to some degree, Jehoshua. :p

Firstly, I noted signs of decay and a downward trajectory are present, along with potential extraneous catalysts for civilizational problems being at least theoretically present (such as plagues, which thrives in urban settings and which period medicine would not be able to deal with, or the expansion of steppe peoples into new areas).
I don't remember you saying anything about plagues or the expansion of steppe peoples until this very moment.

I did not say that everything was collapsing now in all places as if we were in some sort of civilizational apocalypse. Indeed that doesn't even apply to the Moti in the present, as that region despite the destruction of a number of cities is more or less intact. I stated that if a collapse was to occur it would manifest several centuries into the future from the in-game present. Thus if in your mind you are thinking I am saying the faeces has hit the fan than no, I'm not saying that.
Is that what you said? I recall you said that we were on course for collapse, and that it was self-evident (I don't like it when you use that term, by the way, because you use it very often when things are not at all self-evident) that the cradle was in a state of decay, and that this was a trend you observed 'across the board'. What you said earlier doesn't seem to be the same argument that you are making now.

Likewise if you think by decay I mean solely such things as war, and transient chaos, than you would be mistaken.
Just to make terminology clear here, I'd call that 'upheaval' rather than 'decay'. I'd define decay as a widespread decline in infrastructure, economy, cultural output and political influence.

I am talking about potentialities and long term trends here, not current politics. Which is why of course the notion I am trying to further IC goals against Thlayli is quite absurd (and rather amusing), seeing as (in addition to the fact he brought the topic of the Karapeshai up) nothing I have talked about is actually pertinent to the present with regards to him or anyone, and seeing as my observations don't actually serve me in any way IC in the long term considering a) a civilisation collapse if it occurs wouldn't help me at all vis a vis any other religion which is my main focus, b) it would hinder my ability to use trade and political networks to spread Iralliam and c) a post-collapse world with its small polities would be structurally challenging to the Church.
So you're arguing that you are observing the beginnings of what you anticipate to be long-term trends? If that's the case, I don't understand what you're arguing.

Secondly, as applied to your own nation, your observations don't actually contradict anything I have noted. Indeed if collapse does occur it won't have anything directly to do with the content of anyone's art, medical prowess, nascent technological artificers, religion or philosophy but on a mix of social and economic factors both intrinsic and extraneous to your nation as they progress over the next few centuries, and of course on the unpredictable possibilities that are beyond any players control.
So are you just making the argument that 'eventually, your polity is going to change and be replaced by some successor or successors'? What definition of 'civilizational decay' are you using?

It seems that the core of the reason that I'm arguing with you is this:

I don't think it would be realistic to expect that the current age of territorially vast Empires will endure for long considering the current circumstances. The long cycle of human history shows a constant process of rise, brief stasis, followed by slow decay and inevitable fall and it would be naïve to suggest that the current order will endure in this fictional world. Just my musing on the matter considering NK has mentioned he intends a time-skip sooner rather than later.

@Iggy:

Spoiler :
I didn't say that it leads invariably or inevitably to conflict, only that it is a causal factor (ergo that it leads to it, not defining whether that is an inevitable fact or not).

With regards to the Steppe people and the timeframe for collapse I stated, I refer you here . My point on current decay being present now incidentally is not in conflict with this, since decay is a process which occurs over time. Just because decay or its antecedents to lesser or greater degrees is present in my opinion in most parts of the world (across the board) does not mean it has reached collapse level at the current moment.

With regards to terminology, I mean decay not only in the sense of upheaval and conflict, but also in terms of the vitality of a civilisation (the phenomenon of decadence), changes in social structure that are deleterious to its current level of complexity, and in economic terms. The loss of cultural output, loss of ability to maintain infrastructure, and the radical reduction of political power would be a symptom of collapse occurring rather than mere decay (so you could perhaps include them as late stage symptoms).

As to my argument, it is that in time there is a fair chance (depending on various factors, and on the GM of course) that we will see something along the lines of what occurred in turn 3, which was (according to the summary on the front page) a civilizational collapse, which was something other than just the replacement of states by others.

The quote you have of mine is simply me asserting that a cycle of history exists, and I think it would be naïve to think that the current state of affairs will endure, this being considering the IC precendent (turn 3, and I would argue turn 9-10-11-12 as well).

It may be best to stop cluttering the thread, Its cramping Masada's style. If you want to continue feel free to PM me.

On the first day of the week, my peers gathered together, and they bought unto me many sick that I might heal them. And one of the multitude said unto me: Oh Horse, in our presence you have made many blind see, and the deaf to hear and lame to walk, succored the weak and given them strength: but why have you not cured your daughter, who was taken by the barbarians and only recently returned, and who now lies stretched in the corner helpless. We have seen these others healed by you, but not your own daughter.

I smiled and said unto them: It is up to Istria alone why her body is not whole. But know that Istria is weak in the face of the Lady, and that she is willing and able to grant her powers to us - and I said unto my daughter: Raise yourself, breathe the name of the Goddess, and move through her, and when you have finished Her name, and said it in truth, you shall be whole and come back to me. And she arose and came to me; and my peers rejoiced for there were many such as she among them. And I said: Go to the safe place, and lay down and be sound in body and soul, for this is Her Will. And the once-maiden came back and lay down, and was as once whole again; and the whole of my peers let up a great shout and pled with me to make their kin whole once more.

I knew you were making fun of the way I type (which is more formal than I actually speak), but you actually made a very good point that human nature OTL might not be relevant IC. So I thought considering what Thlayli and Iggy had said, it best to address the point directly.

On the Heretics, and their Nature.

The character of these times in which we live is a hard one for we have seen the dissolution of our Empire and its subordination to the heretics. But we should not be astonished by the heretics neither ought their existence surprise us, for it was foretold that this should come to pass; nor the fact that they subvert the faith of some for they have failed a trial of faith set them by the Lady and in doing so doom themselves. Nevertheless, we shall endure and through the words of the Lady might we know peace.

Taking the case of fever which ravages the body; we are not surprised either that it exists, for there it is, or that it consumes man, for that is the purpose of its existence. That is what heresy is like, except where the one weakens the body the other weakens the mind and saps the soul; nor should we be surprised for this is the purpose of heresy - that is, to test the faith.

Yet even with this knowledge some of the brethren and the sisters fear heresy; but unlike fever heresy cannot kill us. True it can damn our souls, and sever us from Her, but it cannot kill us bodily. It is for this reason that we should not fear it; true we should loathe it but we should remain confident that our faith in Her will protect us against them.

I was angry that LoE brought his childish, out of thread, out of context personal grievances into an EoE discussion, which was disruptive.

I knew you were making fun of the way I type (which is more formal than I actually speak), but you actually made a very good point that human nature OTL might not be relevant IC. So I thought considering what Thlayli and Iggy had said, it best to address the point directly.

Well, as long as we're on the agreement that nothing you have said about "Empires" applies to Exatai that are patently not empires, I think we can let this matter rest.

To clarify your misconceptions about exatas, however, challenges to authority which do not have standing are not traditionally recognized. If a warrior with no followers and reputation sought to overthrow a Prince, his tarkanai would be well within their rights to ask the challenger to face them each individually first, making the likelihood of such a challenge extremely low. So only established warriors with a following tend to become Princes, and ruling Princes, once enmasked, are only typically killed if their exatas is later found wanting.

It isn't shown on the map, but the Karapeshai Exatai is in a constant state of low-level civil war, as Princely succession disputes rage and Princedoms fight border wars and skirmishes for territory. And this is a positive, salutary, beneficial thing, as violence is both constant and controlled. There's always a good opportunity to go kill some foreigners who look and speak differently, as long as you both bow to the Redeemer in the end.

So, with a few exceptions (like the revolt of the Aspect Master during the reign of Avetas) the bloodletting is strictly controlled, and released at institutionalized times. This does lead to potentially long and bloody wars of succession, but once the first one is over, subsequent ones are not likely unless the Redeemer dies. There will probably be a serious struggle when Talephas dies, though these wars have yet to coincide with any foreign invasion or catastrophe, which is why the Karapeshai have been lucky so far. Your ethnic hypothesis we will dismiss since in large part, ethnos rules ethnos in the form of a local Prince given autonomy.

This does not preclude ethnic rivalries! The Xieni dislike the Vithana and Evyni, who clash with the Accans and Taudo, and the poor Ming get trampled on by everyone. But the deal that all of these groups get under the Karapeshai is beneficial to them, more so than independence would be. Without the Satar identity to hold everything together, the North would collapse in a massive orgy of bloodlust and score-settling.

It isn't considered meet with exatas to kill the weak and the old, so long-ruling Princes (their exatas made manifest through wisdom and not simple strength) aren't selected against. Furthermore, regencies do not typically exist, as you cannot have a child Prince. Now of course, some would argue that the Kothari are an Exatai in name only due to the hereditary rule of the Star Prince, but the Kothari would counter-argue that it just so happens that the Star Prince always has had the most exatas, though this is a bit of a cop-out.

I haven't said anything about Empires (as form of government) iirc, but you are correct that the problems related to centralised rule are minimised (although not removed totally) by the Exatai model, albeit that all means nought with regards to extrinsic factors as they apply to a collapse scenario. I also still hold to my opinion that there is cause for doubt that the Karapeshai Exatai in its current form is internally stable as well, indeed some of the thoughts on the matter are actually made more immanent by your elaboration, which also seems to pose its own unique problems I hadn't thought about (Talephas' death will be interesting to watch). But I'm sure you can figure out where the causes for concern lie yourself seeing as you are a smart fellow (and since it is time to let the matter rest and stop cluttering the thread).

Is this NES currently accepting new players?

I would say the Star Prince does indeed have the most exatas, not least by virtue of being the Star Prince, which causes people to submit to and obey him.

It's also not like the title of Prince of the Star passes directly from father to son.

What? It's semi-hereditary; these days, the most influential people in the Star get together and select a candidate through a selection of heredity, predecessor's choice, influence, and cooption, and then present them to the rest of the Star tarkanai and the army officers (and perhaps the rest of the army) for confirmation. Not sure how it was when you were running things.

EDIT: Oh, you ninja'd. Yes, that's true.

Top Bottom