New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Probably the elves will dwell in the land with a small river surrounded by mountains in the east, in what appears to resemble a peninsula.

Underground homes make for very defensible territory. Some consideration should probably be given to balance-related issues arising from subterranean fortresses, castles, etc.

EDIT: Also, lets please not claim starting territory until 1) the map is done, and 2) the thread is started.

My dwarves will hopefully be calling dibbs on the large mountain near Golden1knight's claim. :p

Can we please leave the claiming off until the map is actually finished and the thread is up?

I know that I will disregard any claims found in this thread.

Yeah, I've apparently been given leave to edit the map somewhat myself, so... things might change a little. :p

(Incidentally, Thlayli, I can't access the file you shared with me for whatever reason. Try emailing it.)

My dwarves will hopefully be calling dibbs on the large mountain near Golden1knight's claim. :p

If I were you, I'd be wary of some Night Elves lurking your caves. :mischief:

EDIT: Most likely I will not be present at this forum in the next two weeks, and I'll hate to miss the beginning of this NES.

If I were you, I'd be wary of some Night Elves lurking your caves. :mischief:

EDIT: Most likely I will not be present at this forum in the next two weeks, and I'll hate to miss the beginning of this NES.

So there may not be some night elves lurking in my caves. ;)

I just wish to be a coastal nation. Preferably one in a Northern-esque setting, but it's fine if that's not the case.

We're not even remotely close to being 'nations' yet.

The Forest of Dan, in which the House of Nyo first arises, can be in any pleasant, temperate forest, wherever. :)

I'm sorry about insinuations about nationhood. I used the term for practicality, not for accuracy.

That begs the question: We are starting in the ancient age or something?

[This tale is only told on a midwinter's eve when there is no moon. It is the oldest, rarest, and most sorrowful of the tales of men.]

Yn Ertanjos - The Fall of Njos

Now hear the tale of the time before time, before the falling of Njos and the hatred of the dragons.

There are many gods.

There is Malla, the Craftress, Atal and Fala, the Bloody Twins who made elves, Ultn the Smith who hammered dwarves and dwemir, and Ynir the Voidfather, who dreamt all the gods and sleeps until the End. Countless others are sung of, gods of orc and goblin, gods of giant and troll.

But all hold a secret, their dismay and despair. The gods have murdered one of their own.

The gods have murdered our father.

The Voidfather dreamt the gods into existence, and the gods made the heavens. Amongst the stars they built palaces, works of craft and power. But they could not make those such as them. Njos was the final dream of Ynir, the Spirit-Breather, Heartmaker. To him was given the power to make life. And he was the kindest of the gods, for to make life is to love. But so too was he the smallest and weakest of the gods, for to know love is to know weakness.

This is why life is called the Gift of Njos.

The gods came to Njos for his Gift, towering over him in their majesty. And he offered it freely, if they but swore a solemn oath, that they strive not to become greater than one another, nor use their creations as weapons.

The gods agreed to honor the Gift, and the First Oath was sworn.

But in time, for gods desire nothing more than power, it was broken. In their palaces and courts among the Way of Stars, the gods sought to war with one another, to overcome one another and become first and foremost. Armies terrible and uncountable they made to be their servants, abusing the Gift of Njos they had sworn to honor.

But Njos could not bear to see his Gift so bloodied, for the death of each was felt in his heart. Shed he a single tear, and every living creature closed its eyes and slept, and would not wake.

And the gods, in their wrath to see their greatest works so unmade, turned upon Njos and slew him.

The Voidfather whose waking will unmake the universe trembled in his sleep.

The body of Njos fell, and it formed the earth, bones become mountains, blood become seas. But his eyes shattered, and formed the thousand dragons. The dragons looked towards the sky at their birth, and they reared their heads and screamed. This is why the dragons hate the gods and all they have made.

With Njos fell the sleeping children of the gods, to awaken on his corpse that is our world. Njos had made but one creation alone, which he refused to awaken, for he had not yet finished it. This woke with all the others.

So was born mankind, the Middle Race.

I think that this fantasy setting needs a location called the Mourning Wood.

MAKE IT HAPPEN NESERS

I like that some people go cosmic in their mythologies and in mine humans are descendent from fishies.

"Let me tell you, wee spawnlings, of the origins of the the Ogre Race."

"In the beginning, there was only the Cosmic Grub. The Grub was ravenous, and began to eat itself. From its juices flowed the seas, and its flesh became the land, and its skeleton supports the land as it bites its own tail. Its spines became the mountains, and its curves became the valleys, and so it was that all became as it is now."

"So it continued, for a thousand thousands years. Until one day, from the Flesh of the Cosmic Grub sprang the First Walker. The First Walker looked upon the Flesh and saw it was barren, and forged the trees and the flowers from the Earth. And so it was that the Land was flowered."

"But the First Walker now grew hungry, and did not desire to eat the flowers, for despite their form they tasted bitter. So he made from the Flesh the beasts of the land, and the beasts of the Sea, and the beasts of the air, and dined upon them until he grew full."

"Now the First Walker was sated and wanted not. But still he was lonely, and desired someone to speak with. So he forged from the Earth the first Ogre, the Great Amun, and the first Rhinoceros for him to ride, and breathed into Amun the breath of Will and Strength, so that Amun would have these. And Amun and the First Walker were in good company, and roamed the Earth, naming the beasts and the plants and feasting on those beasts that were wholesome."

"One day, Amun was out walking, and grew hungry. So he rode his rhinoceros, and caught many animals, but the earth was then plentiful, so he tossed the carcasses where he ate. From these carcasses spawned the other races of the Earth, the Men and the Elves, and the Dwarves, and all the other races. And Amun was pleased with this, for all these races were wholesome to feast upon, and he gorged himself for a thousand years more."

"However, the other races grew faster than he could eat them, and soon the land risked despoliation. Amun spoke to the First Walker, and said unto him, "The delicious races spawn faster than I may, and I cannot eat them all. Soon they risk destruction by their own numbers, and then they will all starve. The First Walker took pity upon Amun, and said to him, "I shall cause my spirit to merge with yours, so that you may too create and make. And every year in the spring, you shall cause spores to flow off your skin, and if they land in fertile ground they shall grow into your Ogres and they shall be your children. And the First Walker did this thing, and so it was that the First Walker departed from the Earth and into our spirits."

"And so Amun spawned, and so did his spawnlings, and his spawnling's spawnlings, and the Ogres became as a great tribe. And they learned the ways of fire, and the ways of metal, and the ways of the rune-writing, and they made the Brogher Mountains their home, and feasted on the flesh of the delicious races. But all this is another story, Spawnlings."

Sentient-race-eating, Rhinoceros riding, fungal-spawning Ogres anyone?

Top Bottom