New NESes, ideas, development, etc

if the yuan ti are reptiles why do they have boobies

Look mate, if you're expecting me to RP as a female without RPing jiggling my boobies around like the females do, I don't really know what to say.

How Samus Aran would be like (probably) in a Captain Videogame RPG NES:

Name: Samus Aran (Milarqui)
Body/Mind/Soul: 5/4/1
HP / MP: 30 (30)/0 (0)
Weaponry: Arm Cannon, Missile Launcher (x20), Bombs, Mega-Bombs (x10)
Abilities: Morphball, Super-Speed, Screw Attack
Problems: Bag of Spilling, Honor Before Reason

Something like that, at least.

@Immaculate, at present for the sake of the setting and the sake of convenience I am limiting players to the "standard" high fantasy races. While previously I considered the introduction of lizardmen that felt rather D&Desque and kind of gamey. I could be persuaded, I guess, but I am already playing fast and loose with the rules.

@Immaculate, at present for the sake of the setting and the sake of convenience I am limiting players to the "standard" high fantasy races. While previously I considered the introduction of lizardmen that felt rather D&Desque and kind of gamey. I could be persuaded, I guess, but I am already playing fast and loose with the rules.

I'll take that as 'no' then.

@LordOfElves: your NES looks really interesting. I'll be checking it when you start it.

@Everyone: I guess that no one (save Tycho) is interested in my last suggestion. No prob. I guess the RPG NES market is almost nil.

@Everyone: I guess that no one (save Tycho) is interested in my last suggestion. No prob. I guess the RPG NES market is almost nil.
I think it's more that you are constantly proposing ideas, but you rarely follow up on them, which contributes to a general disinterest in your ideas because most of the community suspects that they're not going to go anywhere. :/

I think it's more that you are constantly proposing ideas, but you rarely follow up on them, which contributes to a general disinterest in your ideas because most of the community suspects that they're not going to go anywhere. :/

Yeah, pretty much this. Definitely NOT what Lucky said.

If you could promise that you could get your new NES to last through at least the first mission then yeah I would jump at it. Hell, I think if you got through a couple of updates on your next project, then yeah people would join them because, other than their longevity, they're quite good.

@LoE

The Unseen

“…so you want to hear my story? The tale of this scar?”

The traveler pointed at the red line that ran over his blind eye. His companions nodded.

“It is your turn anyways; this will be the last one before we sleep!”

“Very well, but remember, when I am finished, that this is a story you all asked me to tell…

…you all have heard of the Unseen I trust, those who reside in the Vale of Shadows on the other side of those mountains yonder? You know of them, yes, but I doubt that any of you know the first thing about their true nature. For, as you know, few have ever seen one, and no man has ever seen an Unseen’s face and lived to tell the tale. They say that they Unseen are Men, like us, though of course rumors abound, some say they are Elves, others Orcs, and some have even said that they are beings of a higher order. To you though, I say they are Men; too vindictive to be Elves and too graceful to be Orcs.

The Unseen allow none who enter their realm in the Vale of Shadows to leave, at least not freely. These unfortunate souls only leave the Vale as the Bound, slaves to the Unseen who act as their proxies in the outside world, for purposes of both diplomacy and trade. I know not what binds them to their masters, whether it be magic or fear or a bit of both. Whatever it is, they are absolutely loyal to their masters, and act as their eyes and ears in the outside world, and their protectors when an Unseen deigns to leave the Vale. It so happens that in the village where I was born, a man robbed and murdered an Unseen, sneaking up to him while he was sleeping in his camp nearby. Why that Unseen was there I will never know, and there were none in my village who were willing to go close to the dead body, so we left it there. One week later, I, at the age of ten, awoke to the terrifying sounds of women screaming and fires crackling and raging. I smelled smoke, and realized that my own house was burning, and looked at the floor to see my parents and my younger sister dead, killed by the Unseen with brutal slashes

Unable to comprehend what was happening, I froze when an Unseen, his face veiled, walked into my house and approached me. He said to me “you will be our witness; go, child, and tell all you meet what you have seen. He swiftly took out his blade and slashed my face, creating a cut deep enough to scar me. It took everything I had to stop the bleeding and survive, and I left the burnt husk of my and became a wanderer. And so, here I am, the man from the village that had the misfortune of housing one foolish enough to cross the Unseen.”

OOC: This is an interesting precursor (from a related human culture) to my second (and hopefully much longer) chapter, Yn Jormvardn - The Dragon Kings.

Yn Ertanjos

Melo Unaieldan - The Telling of Elder Days

Let faithful men now learn the true story of the Fall, and turn from the dragon-cult and all its hatred and darkness.

The dark men and their followers say Njos alone created life, and fools and thralls believe them, but this is not true. Galladan created life, and the races in their divine hierarchy. First he created animals, then bestial orcs, little more than animals, then dwarves in their low cunning, then man in his ambitious but flawed nature, and finally elves, purest and finest above all races. Seeing that this was good, Galladan made his first son Lord of the Morning, and his second Lord of the Evening. To the first, Atalladan, was given the right to rule, and to the second, the right to serve his brother in all things.

In the first days all the races were immortal, and lived in harmony with the gods, obeying the gods and the elves their highest servants. Seeing the peace and happiness of Atalladan and his divine rule over the lesser gods, Falladan the Lord of the Evening grew black with jealousy, and thenceforth became Lord of Darkness. So wove he the shadows about himself, creating a guise to shield his nature from the very gods.

Came then Falladan in the guise of the craftsman Njos, to Atalladan Heaven-King, and begged leave to offer his Gift to make men and elves and all the lesser races perfect. Thinking him wise, Atalladan accepted, only to learn and despair that the Gift of Njos was mortality, which is the root of all our sins. And the revelation of this curse drove all the lesser gods to fractious fighting, for Falladan-who-is-Njos had bestowed his gift upon all, though upon those closest in substance to Galladan (the elves, and the gods) it has fallen lightest.

Filled with terrible wroth, Atalladan struck down his brother who fell from the heavens, falling to the underworld. Falladan was not killed, but weakened for an Age, and so in his hatred (and seeing that even his gift could not abolish the beauty of the elves which he so coveted) he created the dragons as a weapon of black revenge. Though we are but second favored of Galladan, that does not mean that his Son has not kept a place for us in his heavenly halls. The righteous men of this world may protect the elves, guard them in their purity and beauty, and in time, Atalladan will grant us an equal reward in the afterlife.

But we must remain ever vigilant, for despite the fall of the dragons and their human thralls, they gather in shadow to rise again, and only the valor of the Elf-Friends shall hold them back.

The Unseen, Part II

Doun, the Progenitor

The Unseen, or as they call themselves the Ultheyn, trace their patrimony back to Doun, also called Dyo, a brother of Nyo. Dyo is widely presumed in the world of men to have unfortunately perished while venturing too far from the Forest of Dan. The Ultheyn, however, know another truth. Dyo, according to the Ultheyn, bore witness to Nyo’s brutal murder of his own brother who had committed the crime of insubordination. Dyo could not accept rule on such terms, and so, in the dark of night, he silently crept away from Nyo’s camp. Dyo was thankful to the Dark of Night for providing him with cover to escape the grasp of Nyo, but his luck appeared to run out when he ran into a great bear, who managed to slash a large gash in Dyo’s shoulder before Dyo slew him with his spear. But in what the Ultheyn believe to be the first act of Deception performed by any Man, Dyo deduced that he could leave the bloodied furs he was wearing behind so that Nyo and his followers would believe him to be dead.

The wounded Dyo, who would decide to call himself Doun so as to disassociate himself completely from Nyo’s tribe, made his way across the desolate land, seeking a place of safety. He finally found this refuge in the mountains of the Vale of Shadows, or the Thadynner. There was game to be hunted and berries to be foraged within the valley. Doun decided that he would live out his days in peace in Thadynner, safe from Nyo’s tyranny.

Escyllin, Five-Mother

Doun’s plans would change when, after pursuing a deer up a mountain path, he found a great lake at the summit of one mountain, Scyllor. The ground shook beneath him, and he beheld five veiled maidens rising from the waters. They spoke as one, proclaiming

“We are Escyllin, the Fivefold Goddess and ruler of this Vale! Who do We speak to?”

Doun responded

“O spare me, great Goddess, for you see I am but a Man, seeking refuge from the cruelty of my race.”

“Man? Interesting, you are like no other creature We have yet encountered. You bear resemblance to an Elf, and yet We can sense that you do not have the blessing of long life, as they do. Indeed, you have not even fathered children. What do you plan to leave behind, Man…Doun?”

“I plan to leave nothing behind, for any children I might have would be cursed to live in this world, always fearing that they may be found by the murderous tribes of other Men.”

“Then it seems we can help each other, dear Doun. You see, Our existence is also finite; of course, not in the way yours is. We simply cannot leave this mountain. We are bound to it. And yet, if We were to bear the children of one not bound as we are, those children would carry us with them. We would protect them, aiding them in remaining Unseen to other Men. And one day, Our descendants may grow strong enough to wipe out these sickeningly violent Men you speak of. And, since We are Five, we can bear you many children. Your short time in this world will not be wasted, for your descendants must grow strong in number.”

The Five Tribes of the Ultheyn

Doun, unable to resist the beguiling Goddess and her Incarnations, consented, and so the Fivefold Goddess bore him many children, and the lineage of each Incarnation would become one of the Five Tribes of the Ultheyn. Each is named after their patroness Incarnation; there are the Fyllon, the Wissels, the Queryns, the Stascyns, and the Marscyll. The Tribes are typically cordial with each other, but each has inevitably developed into something distinct from the others. All of the Tribes are absolutely committed to the defense of the Vale however, and eyes are everywhere on the perimeter of Ultheyn lands.

Every year, up to fifty unfortunate souls who are unlucky enough to wander into the Vale are captured and, rather than being killed, are taken to Scyllor. There they are imprinted, some say by torture and some say by the Fivefold Goddess herselves, and made into the Bound, or Pokkych, loyal servants of the Ultheyn who act as their proxies in the world outside the Vale. Through the Pokkych the Ultheyn are able to conduct trade and diplomacy with other peoples, when such an unsavory prospect is deemed necessary.

All Ultheyn wear veils at all times, in the style of the Fivefold Goddess. Murder within Ultheyn society is punished not with death, which is seen as more murder, but by exile and deveiling, two of the most terrifying things which can happen to an Ultheyn who has spent his whole life in the Vale. If an exile attempts to return, he will be treated as an outsider, or Eyn, and killed or bound.

The Ultheyn share unique talents of deception and stealth. As warriors, they strike quickly and to kill from the shadows, and disappear just as quickly. It is not known how they would fare on an open field, and none have yet dared to invade the Vale. War against outsiders is taken as retribution for any action taken against an Ultheyn who has, for whatever reason, chosen to venture into the outside world. The killing of outsiders, even fellow Men, is not seen as a crime anymore, as the Ultheyn believe that they have ascended above all other Men with the union of Doun and Escyllin.

Outsiders can do nothing but guess at the Ultheyn’s intentions, and indeed within the Vale there is disagreement about when, if at all, the sinful world should be cleansed, as the Five-Mother proclaimed. The Ultheyn for now are unsure of the future, but do their best to make sure that those who know of them are always unsure as well.

Guess you are right. See why this is a curse?

And one of the reasons I'm proposing these ideas is because I figure that there is a chance that someone will think it is a good idea and decide to make a NES out of it.

If I can fully develop the Captain Videogame NES further, I'll tell you.

OOC: This is an interesting precursor (from a related human culture) to my second (and hopefully much longer) chapter, Yn Jormvardn - The Dragon Kings.

Yn Ertanjos

Melo Unaieldan - The Telling of Elder Days

Let faithful men now learn the true story of the Fall, and turn from the dragon-cult and all its hatred and darkness.

The dark men and their followers say Njos alone created life, and fools and thralls believe them, but this is not true. Galladan created life, and the races in their divine hierarchy. First he created animals, then bestial orcs, little more than animals, then dwarves in their low cunning, then man in his ambitious but flawed nature, and finally elves, purest and finest above all races. Seeing that this was good, Galladan made his first son Lord of the Morning, and his second Lord of the Evening. To the first, Atalladan, was given the right to rule, and to the second, the right to serve his brother in all things.

In the first days all the races were immortal, and lived in harmony with the gods, obeying the gods and the elves their highest servants. Seeing the peace and happiness of Atalladan and his divine rule over the lesser gods, Falladan the Lord of the Evening grew black with jealousy, and thenceforth became Lord of Darkness. So wove he the shadows about himself, creating a guise to shield his nature from the very gods.

Came then Falladan in the guise of the craftsman Njos, to Atalladan Heaven-King, and begged leave to offer his Gift to make men and elves and all the lesser races perfect. Thinking him wise, Atalladan accepted, only to learn and despair that the Gift of Njos was mortality, which is the root of all our sins. And the revelation of this curse drove all the lesser gods to fractious fighting, for Falladan-who-is-Njos had bestowed his gift upon all, though upon those closest in substance to Galladan (the elves, and the gods) it has fallen lightest.

Filled with terrible wroth, Atalladan struck down his brother who fell from the heavens, falling to the underworld. Falladan was not killed, but weakened for an Age, and so in his hatred (and seeing that even his gift could not abolish the beauty of the elves which he so coveted) he created the dragons as a weapon of black revenge. Though we are but second favored of Galladan, that does not mean that his Son has not kept a place for us in his heavenly halls. The righteous men of this world may protect the elves, guard them in their purity and beauty, and in time, Atalladan will grant us an equal reward in the afterlife.

But we must remain ever vigilant, for despite the fall of the dragons and their human thralls, they gather in shadow to rise again, and only the valor of the Elf-Friends shall hold them back.

:goodjob:

Its just amazing.
This whole concept of mortality is great, and I think I'm going to incorporate it into my culture, with a few changes. About Dragons (creatures that are omitted in my mythology), I think you gave the proper origin. I approve their natural enmity towards the elves.
But how your people (who are cited as the Elf-friends, right?) sees the separation of the Elven people? Probably Falladan/Njos work?

I think that's going to be one off-shoot of my culture that completely reverted from hating the "light" elves to being friends with them.

The main segment of my culture is probably going to continue the dragon/Njos worship in some form or another, as will become clear after the next chapter. Which "version" of the Fall of Njos you believe is highly dependent on which of the two cultures you belong to, which will also be connected to who migrated where after the fall of the dragon-king.

Yn Ertanjos
Melo Unaieldan

Yn Raghir Jormvardn - The Saga of the Dragon Kings

I. - Of The Houses of Men and the Waking Days

During the days of the Waking of the Children of Njos, the dragons were scattered across the world, still learning their power, and the Houses of Men were set upon with savagery by the children of the gods.

There were Four Houses of Men during these days.

The first house of men was the House of Skald, the largest in number. These awoke in the forests of the south.

The Skaldn were small and slight, dark of skin, hair, and eye. They were skilled woodsmen and hunters, fleet of foot and deft of hand. They fell under the power of elf-lords, and those that were not slain became their slaves and servants. To this day the Skaldn worship the gods of the elves foremost, and foresake their fellow men, calling them wicked. Knowing the Body of Njos would not accept their unquiet spirits, the Skaldn burned their dead and did not bury them, so that they might serve the gods in the afterlife. They were not guided by the spirits of their forefathers as other men are, and for this reason they waxed both wicked and cunning.

The second house of men was the House of Aeodr, less in number than the Skaldn but greater in strength. These awoke in the mountains of the west.

The Aeodrn were green of eye, and red of hair and skin. They awoke under the blaze of a fiery mountain, and the fires of their birth never left their blood. Their nature was fractious and warlike, and they followed not kings but war-chiefs, winning loyalty with victory and losing it with defeat. Of all the Houses of Men the Aeodrn forged the greatest weapons, almost in kind to dwarf-make, and were the fiercest warriors. But for the ever-burning fire in their hearts they would have made mighty rulers, but that was not to be their fate.

The third house of men was the House of Varald, less still in number but greatest of all the Houses of Men in lore and wisdom. These awoke on the shores of the great eastern sea.

Of all the houses, only the Varaldn awoke knowing their lineage. They stand tallest among men, dark of hair and pale of skin, with eyes of blue. It was the Varaldn that first learned the deep words to raise the body of Njos into mighty towers, and weave the shadows of night, words of power which have been lost to later days. It would be the House of Varald that trafficked with the dragons, and served them foremost. And it would be on the House of Varald that the Doom of the gods would fall greatest, and lingers to this very day, for it was the Varaldn that made war upon the very gods themselves with the Dragon-King.

The fourth house of men was the House of Huol, smallest in number and least in craft. These awoke in the frozen vales of the north.

The Huoln were fair of skin, golden haired and grey-eyed, and they lived in caves, and those few valleys untouched by the cold that covered the north in the elder days. The Huoln lived through ages of man knowing nothing of their brothers, having only commerce with dwarves and trolls, who they feared. In those ages they lived innocent of dragon-rule and the curse of the gods, and believed they were alone among men in an endless world of ice. They worshipped and spoke with the spirits of their ancestors, and of all the Houses their people were the most peaceful.

A fifth house of men was foretold, but of them nothing has been learned, and their fate has been lost to all.

---

Notes:

As you can tell, Melo Unaieldan was written by the descendants of the Skaldn, who would probably call themselves Eskalladan or something similar after having adopted an elven language.

Most of the subsequent chapters are going to deal with the deeds of the Varaldn, though the Aeodrn make some important cameo appearances, and the Skaldn are obviously villains. The Huoln become much more relevant by the time the NES proper begins, after the dragons have fallen and the world has changed.

The human linguistic version of the common elven -an is just -n. Also on the subject of parallels between human and elven cultures, Galladan withdrawing from his creation and Ynir the Voidfather's endless sleep is interesting.

I know I'm pulling a lot of tropes from both Tolkien and Elder Scrolls here, but I like the combination so far. Comments appreciated.

I'm already working on a text with more aspects of elven culture, including how they see the other races. As in their mythology they consider themselves the purest and superior beings, one can say that they have a certain natural pride. Although, in their religion, ironically, they seek humility.

@Thlayli, About the House Skald, or Eskalladan, which elves enslaved them?
Also, I think your mythology and culture is extremely interesting, and I feel flattered to be contributing.

They weren't necessarily enslaved, that's just how the culture that produced the previous chapter sees them as being. They could easily have chosen to follow the elves of their own free will.

Edit: Or as a combination of military pressure and trade opportunities which the other houses interpreted as enslavement. All of my chronicles have their biases. :p

Top Bottom