A Tryst with Destiny

He made it very clear earlier and you seemed okay with it blonde emo squid ward :p

-------

A stack of messages lay before him. These were the correspondences of emissaries stationed in foreign lands. The emissary of Bharat in Europa, wrote about the affairs in Rome.

"The Romans are on the warpath. It would seem, they have set out to make the world their own. They have already established unquestioned rule over Carthago and made the once proud and fierce Carthaginian people their thralls. These people, who had so successfully resisted the hordes of the Yavan conqueror Alakshendra, now stand humbled before the Romans. Their weapons of war, tactics and military production are far superior to any other army in the world. The trade they have with our empire, is a source of great wealth for their merchants.

There is now talk, that the Romans prepare to conquer the entire realm that Alakshendra had once forged. Over the lands of Misr, and Mesopotamia. To this effect, they have already declared war against the Yavana. It is perhaps the justice of the Gods, that the conquering and plundering Yavana, should now reap what they had sown. The Yavan who are bogged down in an unwinnable war against the Parthians, cannot in my opinion withstand the tremendous force that Rome is about to launch upon it. Their doom is inevitable.

Spoiler :

The samrat did not know what to make of it yet. Though he was not entirely aloof to the possibility of benefits arising from this. he picked up another scroll and unrolled it, this was a message from the governor of Kamboja where scouts keep a keen eye on the affairs of the new Parthian empire.

The war is not going well for the Parthians. The Yavan army is said to have retaken Seleukeia Sushana, which the Parthians call Sush. Emperor Phriapatius' vision seems to be falling apart as his weak successors are only barely able to stop the foreign armies. Yet the Yavanas have not won any decisive victory. If the Parthian generals are to be believed The Parthians have the advantage in size, and knowledge of terrain. The Yavana who are spread too far and too thin, would not be able to withstand their assault on Persia for long. Furthermore, they think, that with the invasion of the Romans on the Yavan homeland, they would eventually be forced to look Westward, whence the Parthians will retake what they have lost. The Yavanas cannot fight a war on two fronts, however, if you ask me, the Parthians are incapable of winning this war. Even in the face of defeat, without strong leadership, the Yavana are capable of inflicting a crushing defeat on the Parthians. Even if they calculate the fall of the Yavanas, do they think that the Romans will simply turn the other cheek ? Persia is today akin to a ripe fruit, ripe for the taking. Be not surprised if the Parthians come begging at our feet for help.

Samrat Satakarni was astounded at these reports. It was not very long ago, that the Parthians had arisen to retake the lands they had lost. He remembered the event, he was a young man then, when Phriapatius, king of the Parthians, had waged war against their foreign overlords and retaken lands on the Mesopotamia. "Oh how the mighty have fallen" he thought to himself. He found these reports hard to believe, so he called upon the emissaries of Greece and Parthia to confirm these messages.

Spoiler :

The truth was laid before him. The Yavana had indeed retaken Sush, and planned to take more. The emissary of Parthia had accepted as much, but with shame which was apparent on his face. He sought the emperor's audience in secret, wherein he divulged the true desires of his master. "Parthia seeks alliance with you, O master of India".

Spoiler :

The situation is not easy for either the Greeks or the Parthians as you can see. The former is surrounded by enemies and the latter is losing land. The Romans have already taken out Carthage and Phoenicia they are now set to take out Greece itself.

I still back my proposal

I have called you all, to discuss a matter most urgent. The Parthian king has requested the aid of Bharat, to fight the Yavan enemy. Our empire has only recently concluded the war with the Tamils, and our best soldiers are severely demoralized. While practicality states that we withhold ourselves from any further wars, my dharma states that we must protect those who seek refuge under us.

It is both my duty as samrat to uphold dharma in this realm, as well as protect my people and ensure their prosperity. So it is that I have come to seek your advice. I see three possibilities before me.

I would invite you to know, that the desires of others (especially outsiders) must not be allowed to invoke the requirements of your dharma, so as to bind your fate with theirs.

It is the way of the great story that nations come and go. Dharma dictates only that the Maha Bharat goes ever on...

1.No
2.No
3.Yes

Samarat. You told me I could provide my own idea and I did. "Avoid war with the Yavan people but if they begin to take Parthian land then directly face them."

No.
Yes.
No.

We should save them in order to call forward war debts later, in that they will be our vassal and protectorate.

All the Amatyas have given in their proposals, only Raja Perun Gilli of Chola Nadu (Dumanios) has yet to speak. His ministry would have the highest stake in this decision, since if Persia does accept our offer for protection it would bring the affairs of that state under the authority of his ministry. Roughly twelve hours remain for us to take our decisions. ~ Samrat Satakarni

For now yes but if we save them then they are indebted to us and shall be a protectorate of ours.

"I would not suggest a direct confrontation with the Greeks. They do not possess a direct border, so our forces would be limited by the goodwill of Persia. Perhaps indirect aid would be better - money to hire mercenaries, spies to harass the Macedonians, and so on."

Option 2

For many years Nicholas remained in his dungeon. His cell was approximately three-by-three meters, with a straw floor covered with rat feces and enclosed by a set of rusted iron bars. For those many years Nicholas has never seen the sun. But he has not lost his mind yet. Whenever he was not sleeping nor eating, he meditated. The weeks became days, the days became hours, and the hours became minutes. The outside world became ever so irrelevant as Nicholas looked inside.

Then came the day of judgement. A squadron of spies was sent to the final holdout of the Dravidian polities - Kanchipuram - with the intent of liberating Nicholas. Nicholas, as the immortal user of the all-powerful AK-47, was a prize too valuable to simply leave to the enemy. Neither was the gun itself. Fortunately for Bharat, the Cholas were unable to reverse engineer the assault rifle either, nor were they able to force Nicholas into their service. They could not kill them either, not because of his immortal status - he could still be killed via decapitation, for instance - but they too knew that he was a prize too valuable to waste. And thus he remained in his cell to rot until the Tamils could decide what to do with him.

That would never happen. The squadron stormed the castle Nicholas was kept and, via the advantage of surprise, killed anyone who got in their way. They also stormed the armory, which was located adjacent to the dungeon, and killed everyone there as well. They immediately found the AK-47, which was kept on a pedestal in the middle of the armory, and seized it, with the intent of giving it back to Nicholas.

Nicholas was initially surprised by the noise. Usually, it was very quiet in the cell. The Tamil king gave the guards strict orders to not talk with any of the prisoners. For some reason, the guards never found reason to talk to each other. Nicholas didn't mind; it gave him the perfect environment to meditate in. Thus the sound of doors breaking and bodies falling was indeed a shock. But Nicholas knew what was happening - that a group of soldiers were there to grab him. Whether they were his comrades from the North or some other group - maybe more travelers from the future? - he did not know, but he hoped for the best.

"Nikōlasa!" one of the soldiers said. "We are soldiers of Bharat, here to rescue you from the clutches of the Cholas!"

Upon hearing that sentence - it was a North Indian tongue, not the unintelligible gibberish that his captors conversed in - Nicholas smiled.

Soon enough, the soldiers were in the hallway of Nicholas's cell. "We have captured your weapon of mass destruction," one of the soldiers said as he ran towards the cell. He was holding the gun as he approached Nicholas. "The guards stationed at this dungeon are all dead, but reinforcements will come. And they will come with bows and arrows, for they know that you will use your weapon again. So we cannot work without haste." He handed Nicholas his gun, as well as some magazines. Another soldier unlocked the door using the key found on the slain guardsman, while Nicholas immediately installed the magazine onto the gun.

As predicted, a cadre of Chola reinforcements showed up at the entrance of the hallway. But they came a second too late. "Stand aside, comrades!" Nicholas said as the Chola were readying their arrows. He fired a volley of bullets at the reinforcements. The Cholas, when they first encountered Nicholas and his firearm, made the mistake of being shirtless as they fired upon him. Today, they protected themselves with iron armor, imported from the West, but even that was useless as Nicholas's bullets tore through them. The cadre fell dead or dying, and Nicholas and his friends trampled the bodies as they made their escape.

The Cholas would not be deterred by such a flub. They continued to ready archers in order to kill Nicholas. They had decided that Nicholas returning to the Indo-Aryans was a fate worth than death (for them, at least). But even with such a mark painted onto Nicholas, they could not kill him. Though the AK-47 is not a particularly accurate gun, its volleys were enough to mow down series upon series of archers. Once in a while, an archer successfully completed firing an arrow before being shot, and a casualty was sustained. But despite their numerical advantage, they were not able to stop their enemies from fleeing. Once they escaped to the jungle, it was only a matter of time before they rejoined the main army and returned their special weapon back to them.

YAHOO! An update on Nicholas's adventures!

Top Bottom