IdIOT: Shock and Terror

To: S.A.D.S.A.E and their mysterious benefactors
CC: Holy Neko Empire
Subject: Peace in Our Time?

It's time to end the conflict once and for all. Nova Terra wishes to extend a peace treaty to the former entity that was once known as SADS. We also extend a cessation of shadow wars being conducted by their mysterious benefactors.

To: The Highwaymen
CC: Blank
Subject: We condemn your involvement with the Drug War

It has come to our attention that you have aided and sheltered SADS. Be forewarned that the Inquisition has their finger of suspicion placed upon you. At this time we have no desire to wage war against you. However, consider this a stern warning not to cross the might of Nationalist Nova Terra.

To: Everyone

Please send snacks.
To: Ayy lmaora
CC: Department of Commerce, Department of State

We shall consider sending a convoy of foodstuff to your nation. Let us know if you have an airport ready so we can start airlifting food to you.

To: S.A.D.S.A.E and their mysterious benefactors
Subject: Peace in Our Time?

It's time to end the conflict once and for all. Nova Terra wishes to extend a peace treaty to the former entity that was once known as SADS. We also extend a cessation of shadow wars being conducted by their mysterious benefactors.

To: Nova Terra
Subject: RE: Peace in Our Time?

Sure thing, our boss man-I mean that Abbott man has said that a ceasefire would be good man yeah. Because our benefactor is definitely Abbott man. Yeah man, all Abbott all of the time man. 100% Abbott definitely not anyone else but Abbott yeah. Abbott Abbott Abbott.

We still cool bro? I think we cool.

We still cool bro? I think we cool.

To: SADSE

You keep up the drugs flowing and we'll stand by you to the death.

To: Nova Terra

Don't feel offended. It was just what had to be done.

To: The Church Of Goomy

Now that we have all our metaphorical ducks in a row, I think it's time that we discuss the situation in West Africa and settle these land disputes. What say you?

RULES UPDATE

Link to video.

What’s this? Where’s the main update?

Hello humans and non-humans, I am here today to present to you the long awaited rules change! Yes, I am revamping the rules slightly to make them more complicated and better. Wait, wait, before you run off to your Lymcorp Anti-Sonereal Bunkers(tm), it won’t get THAT complicated. There will be some more public spreadsheets, but they’re all pretty simple. The most complicated spreadsheet is this one:

Spoiler big arse spreadsheet :

See? It won’t be that bad. Note that these numbers aren’t finalized and you don’t need to worry about anything left of the “I” column. Also ignore the #VALUE!s and the (!4)s, they are minor glitches that will be ironed out before the update. So let’s run though what this spreadsheet is representing.

Regions!

This is the main new feature that I am adding into IdIOT. In addition to tracking national stats, I am now tracking the stats of regions within countries. Each region has its’ own ECO and MIL values. When all the regions owned by one nation are added together they make up the national total. Additionally, the stability is now regional and runs from -3 to +3, similar to the system used in EUIV. Now I’ll go more in depth in what the columns mean.

Region Name: The name of the region. Pretty obvious.

Owner: Which country owns the region. Only one country can control a region at a time. If someone invades a region but doesn’t take the whole region in one turn then a new region is created to represent the occupied territory.

Owner ID: This is for the GM’s benefit so Excel doesn’t obtain brown pants if I accidentally misspell a country name. You don’t need to worry about it.

Stability: Stability runs from -3 to +3. For every negative/positive point of stability you have, you get a 10% penalty/bonus to ECO in the region (rounded up). At +3 everyone loves you in the region and at -3 the people of the region are very, very close to revolting en-masse, although it is possible for a region to revolt is below zero. Stability is moves up and down mainly by events, but you can improve stability by investing Stability, or STA (got to keep the naming scheme) points. STA, like all other spendable stats cost $5. However, it is a little different to the rest of them. Raising stability at higher levels costs more STA points, here is a little table to show how much:

Stability | -3 | -2 | -1 | 0 | +1 | +2 | +3
Cost in STA to Increase Stability | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

To offset the fact that nations with less regions will have an easier time raising stability across their nation than nations with more regions, each region that a nation owns generates a free STA point per turn.

ECO: ECO points in the province. In future order PMs, I expect you to specify what region you are investing your ECO in.

ECO Modified: ECO plus/minus the Stability bonus/penalty. This is used to calculate the national total.

MIL: Amount of MIL stationed in this province this turn. I have left most nation’s MIL assignment at “?” as I don’t want to assign everyone’s MIL in silly places and it doesn’t really matter this turn anyway. The local MIL value only comes in case of surprise attacks, these MIL will be the ones responding to the attacks. It is expected in orders that you will assign your MIL to specific regions, otherwise I will automate this process. That will probably end badly for you.

Colour: Colour is the colour of the region on the map. There will now be a special regional map that shows the regions on the map. I’ll attach the regional map at the bottom of the post to show you what it looks like. Note that places like the Peaceful Skeleton Realm and Madagascar aren’t going to be shown directly on the regional map because it should be painfully obvious who they belong to.

Luck: Luck will not be a public stat. Each turn starting next update, I will roll a 1D10 for each region. On high rolls good things happen (such as economic booms and stability increases). On low rolls bad things happen (such as revolts and stability decreases). Usually, Luck rolls will be ignored if a player-driven event happens in the province.

Now that I have gotten through regions, I’ll get to the other fun and exciting feature that will be coming this update.

SPAAAAAAAACE!

It’s time for space expansion kids! If you had a sharp eye, you might have noticed that one of the regions in the example spreadsheet had a colour of SPACE. This is used to note that this province isn’t on Earth and is, you guessed it, in space. Space expansion is pretty simple in IdIOT. You simply spend $5 and then you have your first space colony, complete with its’ first ECO point. Space colonies work like normal regions, you can station MIL and build new ECO. Everyone starts with the capacity to expand into space, although only Nova Terra starts with space holdings due to their RP.

Because you sat through all that explanation, I’m going to give you cool cats a bonus! Here’s a sneak preview of the Political and Regional maps! I’ll try and get the main update up soon, but hopefully these images will sate you for now. Oh and of course, if there’s anything you don’t understand or are confused about, just post something in the thread and I’ll try and clarify it for you. Have a great day everyone. :)

Spoiler Main Map :

Spoiler Regional Map :

Only one country can control a region at a time. If someone invades a region but doesn’t take the whole region in one turn then a new region is created to represent the occupied territory.
I'm confused. Is the end game supposed to be more complicated than before, or is this a dolled-up SonRISK?

Lymcorp Anti-Sonereal Bunkers(tm)
Please stop propagating the myth that I'm diametrically opposed to stats.

It is more complex, or it is SonRISK? Because at first I was afraid we were going to have to micromanage each and every province, but pegging everything to gross aggregate regions feels like a step backwards—especially since territory fights are about to get a whole lot uglier.

It is more complex, or it is SonRISK? Because at first I was afraid we were going to have to micromanage each and every province, but pegging everything to gross aggregate regions feels like a step backwards—especially since territory fights are about to get a whole lot uglier.

I don't know what SonRISK entails as I haven't played one in a long time and I can't exactly look back at rulesets thanks to Sone's purges. You won't have to micromanage every province, don't worry about that. I don't understand how aggregating regions is a step backwards or how that will make territory fights uglier. If anything it will make it more elegant, as I don't have to eyeball ECO transfers as much any more. Addtionally, transferring to this system fixes the massive problems I had with the stability system. I'm not entirely sure what you find objectionable about these new stats.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but given my experience with TanIOT, whenever someone says 'region-based combat' my immediate thought is 'blob battles'—i.e. "Screw strategy, just flatten the bastards". Hence what I mean about uglier wars: people won't think in terms of beachheads and fronts and incremental gains, they'll think they have to nab the whole region at once, RISK-style, to get any tangible benefit. If this is all just reflecting how you're sorting out a pile of previously floating stats, that's fine, but the way you word this makes it sound like you're fundamentally realigning the game strategy.

Yeah, I'm not really fond of things going into micromanaging the military. Starting to get dad memories of Tani's games.

Champion Zeru Fitzpèire declared in a speech today that the Church and the Empire have come to an agreement regarding the African situation; no territories will be changing hands, as that would just result in administrative headaches for both sides at this point, but both the Church and the Empire will be taking a more active role in the region; we will of course not infringe on the rights of our citizens to free speech or association, but any attempts to turn violent will be cracked down on, and we have the Empress's assurance that the Nekos will be dealing with the luddite terrorists on their side of the border. Rest assured, citizens of Goomish West Africa, you are not unloved or forgotten, and the dark times are behind you.

I assure you, my intentions are closer to this...

If this is all just reflecting how you're sorting out a pile of previously floating stats, that's fine,

...than this...

but the way you word this makes it sound like you're fundamentally realigning the game strategy.

...strategy will remain, for the most part, the same.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but given my experience with TanIOT, whenever someone says 'region-based combat' my immediate thought is 'blob battles'—i.e. "Screw strategy, just flatten the bastards". Hence what I mean about uglier wars: people won't think in terms of beachheads and fronts and incremental gains, they'll think they have to nab the whole region at once, RISK-style, to get any tangible benefit. If this is all just reflecting how you're sorting out a pile of previously floating stats, that's fine, but the way you word this makes it sound like you're fundamentally realigning the game strategy.

Unfortunately I'm not an experienced enough GM to account for the psychological effects of mechanics. But I can assure you that a blitzkrieg without any tactical RP or war orders will go about about as well as it did before this major rules change. Against an opponent you have vastly outnumbered you can probably get away with it, but against an opponent who has put time and effort into their war orders and has a similarly sized army you are going to have a bad time.

I can assure you, and everyone, that grabbing a whole region is not necessary to cripple an opponent's economy. This turn, for example, part of the ECO that would have gone to Abbottsford from the annexation of Indonesia has gone to Vietnam thanks to their intervention, even though they are nowhere close to taking the whole region. There might be a small shift in strategy, for example people might start avoiding the poorer regions in a country to attack a richer region so as to cripple their opponent, but I would argue that adds an extra layer to the strategy rather than taking one away.

Link to video.

Spoiler :

Connie Interviews with Diana Allers

"Hello, I am Diana Alters of Galactic News Network, here to interview Imperatrix Connie Marshall" Diana says to the camera, then turns to Connie herself "You've snatched victory from the jaws of defeat from both the Cybermen and SADS. Tell me, how does that make you feel?"

Connie, sitting in a relaxed position in her chair drinking tea looks at Diana "Well, at first I thought we were going to be conquered. Just like our old predecessors were during the Barbanian War and the First Nazi War. But we eventually pulled through, with luck and our allies on our side helping to push back and eliminate the threat".

"I see, and there's been reports from the Inquisition that they've speculated that Abbottsford has backed SADS" Diana said as she puts her elbow on the arm chair.

"To be honest, I was taken back when resistance fighters and Inquisitors found uniforms and clothing that matched the ones that were used by Abbott's forces. It was only natural to raise our suspicions on Abbott for aiding our belligerent" Connie responded as she puts down her cup of tea.

"Abbott has responded to the statements about the findings of the Inquisitions have made. They've stated that, and I quote, 'These slanderous allegations are a kick in the crotch to the men who laid down their lives in what proved an ultimately misguided sacrifice to keep American shores safe from the Japanese menace' and 'Nova Terra's treachery will be dealt with in due course'. What is your view on this matter?"

Connie's left eyebrow squints a bit as she processes Abbott's rhetoric "What Abbott seems to forget was that we sent in expeditionary forces in the Philippine conflict. We helped them keep Australian shores safe from the Japanese menace. I'd say it's a kick in the pants that they would be willing to back SADS when we helped them in previous conflicts." She then pauses to take a sip of tea then continues on "Abbott's threats are mere political slander to discredit the great nation of Nova Terra. If anything, It's only prompted our military to increase recruitment of soldiers, airmen, marines, and sailors and bringing a boost to our defense contractors. In my own humble opinion, Abbott is nothing but a blowhard trying to distance themselves from their support on propping up SADS and ruffleing up our feathers. Though my opinions of Abbott are just an opinion and not official state policy."

"Yes, the GNN has a low opinion for the Abbott Broadcasting Corporation" Diana says as she takes a look at her notes.

"If you ask me, ABC is just Abbott's personal soap box" Connie responds "That's why I give big props to Galactic News Network."

"Moving on and away from Abbott, what are your plans for the new Pax Nova Terra?" Diana asks.

"First and foremost, is rebuilding the war torn areas in the areas effected by war. The first order of business would be subdividing our Earthian holds into distinct regions" Then, Connie pushes a button to start up a powerpoint presentation.

Spoiler :

"Aside from our core Space territories, our regions will be divided up into four regions: "United North American States", "United Mexican and Caribbean States", United South American States", and "United Siberian States". Each with their own regional capital to facilitate the regime's administrative duties"

Diana glances at the map and points at the gold star with the name 'New Port City' "New Port City?"

Connie then responds "Yes, we were lucky that the Cybermen and the Corporate Alliane did not noticed the island when they were around. And lucky that the cloaking device hiding the island left the ruins there, unmolested until our return. As we speak, were conducting rebuilding efforts to bring New Port City and Republic Island back to it's former glory and bring the Citadel back online. Were even transferring our main capital to New Port City"

"That is quite fascinating" Diana said "Please, continue"

Connie continues "New Port City is part of our rebuilding efforts for the United North American States. Settlers from our crowded planets and cities have started to move into the untapped lands there to settle and rebuild the old American Cities. Major manufacturing plants and defensive plants have already sprung up across North America while plans are underway for a highway system to connect United North American States with it's Southern brother and airports are also being rebuilt in the war torn areas of our lands to bring back the age of jet travel. I'm happy to tell our brothers and sisters of Nova Terra that the Boeing plant in Washington and the Lockheed plants in California have just reopened their factory doors to produce aircraft for both our military and our civil aviation"

"There has been reports that the Inquisition has been hit hard by outside spies" Diana then continues to ask "What are the plans to keep Nova Terra safe from unscrupulous spies?"

Connie adjusts herself and cracks her knuckles, then places them on her lap "I can't go into full details about them. But I have on my desk, ready to be passed, and edict that would put a stop on unauthorized access to Nova Terran's internet infrastructure. It's an act that I've crafted 'Protecting Online Nationalism Act and Safeguarding Intellectual Property and Privacy Act'. The center piece of increasing our security is the Great Nationalist Firewall which will keep outside interlopers from hacking into our systems. I have personally appointed Major Motoko Kusanagi to be the head of the Department of Homeland Security and the responsibilities of protecting Nova Terran's internet infrastructure under that department."

"There has been a wind of change of the battlefield, how is the Armed Forces of Nova Terra preparing for the new battlefleld in the coming years?" Diana asks

Connie, then holds up a book entitled The Art of War by Sun Tzu "I've personally made sure that this book is to be taught in our curriculum in our military academies. I even added this book to the Nationalist Party Militia's Professional Reading Program".

"Anything to add to the advantage for the Nationalist Army" Diana states.

"We've met and exceeded our goals already on Earth, right now were just focusing on our territorial needs. Were pretty much done with expanding aggressively." Connie said as she sits back to take a sip of tea.

Diana then turns to the audience "It's been quite educational, but unfortunately, we've got to take a commercial break". The screen goes black and a few seconds later, an advertisement video is shown.

The screen then fades back to the interview set with Connie flexing her biceps and Diana turning to the audience "and were back with the interview with Imperatrix Connie Marshall" Diana then turns to Connie "Given that SADS have managed to escape no thanks to the Highwaymen's help, what is the plan that you have in mind?"

Connie, then stops flexing her muscles and takes a drink of tea "Well, given that we've basically kicked them off the hemisphere and the population has no desire to send troops overseas. The state policy is a see and wait approach for now, since we've just signed a peace treaty with SADS to end the conflict. However, we do have our eye on the Highwaymen since they have aided SADS in their escape to fuel their rampid drug problem."

"There are still people in the former SADS lands that still like the old government, what is the regime planning to do?" Diana asks.

Connie, rubbing her bicep muscles then answers "I have one of our best generals, Casanndra Moore, overseeing the enforcement of Martial Law in that area. The heads of the Nationalist Party have been sent there to, reeducate the populous that still harbor feelings for SADS".

"This has been a most educational experience and I of the GNN wish the regime the best of luck for the future" Diana then turns to the camera "This interview is sponsored by the Nationalist Armed Forces Recruitment Center. Enlist now, and defend your country. It's your duty as a Nova Terran citizen!" The screen fades to black to transition to another ad

I honestly don't understand why they didn't put videos like those into the game itself.

Q&A:

I have received some questions from multiple private communication channels and I thought the answers would be worth sharing with everyone. Questions are paraphrased because I can’t remember the exact phrasing of the questions.

Is the new region system similar to a RISK game, where the only real benefit you can get is taking the whole region in one turn?

No, not at all. For those who don’t RISK, a player gets a bonus at the start of a turn for holding a region and these regional bonuses usually play a large part in who wins. The regional system is nothing like that. ECO transfers, a.k.a the bonuses from taking land, will work very similarly to how they did before the rules update except it being a lot more consistent. Taking whole regions in one turn will be extremely difficult anyway unless the region is seriously under garrisoned. And to be perfectly honest, it would be extremely unlikely for you to see any RISK like mechanics in my games.

Will the move to more mechanics mean that you won’t accept outlandish orders that aren’t contained in the stats anymore? Doesn’t that defeat the point of IdIOT?

I want to assure you, I will still accept outlandish orders. In fact, all rule alterations except for regions come from player’s orders. I made WMDs because someone wanted to blow up an island. I’m making space colonies a thing because multiple players expressed interest in that. Usually when I get RP in orders I try and represent it mechanically somehow, or at least narratively. That is how I GM. I am implementing a region system because it makes it a lot easier to represent things and removes some horrible background mechanics that were beyond broken. It will result in a better game for both you and me.

Didn’t you forget something in the rules update?

Oh shoot I did! Thanks quote-chan!

You can now spend POL the turn you buy it if you are investing it into your own nation.

Anyway, hopefully the main update will come out soon, but until then have fun peeps!

Top Bottom