Resource graphic glitches and korea crashing game end

Evil Homer

Chieftain
OK this was my first GOTM so bear with me ;)
Running CivIII mac 1.29b2, and used AlanH's installers (a godsend).
Playing GOTM32 Open.

My main problem is that the graphics for resources were not displaying correctly on the map - luxury resources had strategic resource icons (e.g. spices had aluminium icon) and most strategic resources had no icons at all (exceptions were saltpepper which had word 'open' and oil which had a whale!). As far as I can tell this is not a Paediaicons issue, but I'm unsure which file handles these - is there something else I need to install?

My second problem is that when the game ended (spain won space race) this error came up:

Load error
Error reading file
Missing entry in "text\pediaicons.txt": SHAPP_RACE_Koreans

As far as I can tell I'm using the paediaicons.txt file from GOTM25, which had Korea rather than Koreans. Changing this fixed the problem and allowed the game to complete.

I tried it again with the pediaicons.txt for GOTM31 but that gave the error:

Load error
Error reading file
Missing entry in "text\pediaicons.txt": Icon_BLDG_Palace

So which is the pediaicons.txt that is currently in use, and what (if any) other files do I need to install?

Thanks

Sorry for the problems, it's like trying to put up a tent in a high wind. We get one corner tied down then another one breaks free :( This month the 'Koreans' seemed to turn into 'Korea'. A small change, but enough to screw up Civ3.

There's a pediaicons.txt file that works for me attached to this post

That worked perfectly - it also fixed my image in the foreign advisor, which was originally showing me as Xerxes rather than Montezuma.

(Why not bundle the latest pediaicons.txt with the save file each month?)

Any ideas about my resources problem? Does it have anything to do with the file /Art/resources.pcx ?

The resources are different because the GOTM installers change the resources.pcx file and the resources_shadows.pcx file to support 'old' GOTMs. If you look in your civ3 directories, there is a read-me on changing these files => for the next few games, you need the same resources.pcx file that you use for vanilla civ.

The Civ3 and Civ3PTW executable programs will always look in your /Art folder to try and find a two files to install resource graphics in your game. The two files are named:

resources.pcx
resources_shadows.pcx

and they must be matched together for the resources to work properly. Many graphics mods for resources (including the out of the box PTW version) just ignore the shadows that can be used to increase the contrast and ease of visibility of the resources.)

Since these files always have to be named the same thing even if they contain lots of different graphics options, the easiest way to keep track of the files is to store them inside a folder that gives a clear indication of what type of resources graphics are inside the folder even though all the actual filename are the same.

We have provided these resource graphics files to you inside a folder called "resources storage". This folder comes to you complete with three subfolders of resources graphics that are labeled:
"gotm20 plain"
"gotm20 w letters smilies"
"gotm20 w letters smilies and bonus"

each folder contains a copy of the resources.pcx and resources_shadows.pcx files that will install and run that type of graphics in your Gotm20 game.

NOTE: NONE OF THE REQUIRED GRAPHICS FILES ARE INSTALLED UNTIL YOU COMPETELY FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS.

First look in your Civilization III/Art folder and locate your original files named "resources.pcx" and "resources_shadows.pcx". You want to cut an past or drag and drop these files into the folder that has been provided in your "resources storage" folder and named "my original resources folder". This folder wil lallow you to reclaim a copy of your original resource craphics and easily place them back into the correct position so that any other Civ3 game will run without any conflicts.

If you would like to install the plain but contrast enhanced resource graphics, all you need to do is open the folder titled "resources storage" and then open the folder titled "gotm20 plain" and copy the two pcx files inside. Tab back up two steps until you are inside the "Art" folder. Inside this folder paste in a copy of the two files that you selected and they will replace any existing "resources.pcx" and "resources_shadows.pcx" files and now you will be ready to play Gotm20.

All three versions of the resources graphics are available for you to freely use in your game and you can switch around and try the three different versions as much as you like. All three versions have been fully tested in the Gotm20-Spain game. It's your GOTM game, you make the choice of which graphics are right for you.

You must use one of the three supplied version of the resource graphics to successfully play the game. The special resources for the Gotm20 game will not work with any other Civ3 or PTW game outside of Gotm20-Spain. To load and play other standard Civ3v1.29 games that have not been upgraded to be compatible with PTW, you will need to follow a similar procedure to reach down into your "resources storage" folder and get a copy of your original graphics files. You may switch back and forth as often as you like as long as you pay attention to the name of the folder where you select the resource graphics from.

Re pediaicons.txt: we are working on a robust version, which will probably be distributed with GOTM 34. :)

Thanks ainwood. I'd noticed the resources storage folder, but it's significance didn't connect. Well it's working now :)

Top Bottom