COTM 08 First Spoiler: Entering the Middle Ages

MiniMe said:
Dynamic, one of my principal goals has been to keep the tech pace down. I would like to have a chance to chop off an opponent or two before my future cavs hit riflemen, but dont know if its possible.

I will do some warring before cavs in order to gain access to some sweet required resources.

And I have started off-continent war (without fighting) against the strongest opponent who is growing too strong too fast. Most of his neighbours joined me. But too early to say if this will be successful.

I think moderators forgive us for some MA talking but it's plan only. :rolleyes:
Yes, as I see the situation, I will have to fight with cavalry in the short time interval between MT and entering in IA. It would be good thing to trigger GA in that time. But Enkidu will be too weak and there are no appropriate wonders. :( About recources: It will be difficult but possible to secure horse or trade with Navigation (may be Astronomy) but I know nothing about saltpeter place. :confused:

I never worry about starting that golden age. The AI usually has some obsolete units remaining. If you keep a few of those warriors around, you can always start that golden age by attacking a redlined spear/sword/MDI or if you are lucky, archer/longbow. Even against a redlined knight/pike or cavalry you should be able to start your GA if you have a stack of these warriors. Just make sure you have artillery nearby to keep it redlined incase it gets a promotion.
Offa can exactly calculate how many you need to keep around for a good chance ! ;)

For apropriate wonders i would recommenc capturing the pyramids and building one of the scientific ones yourself. If the pyramids are within reach that is of course.

I have my own thoughts about this game as far as conquests or dominations are concerned, but i'll keep my mouth shut until the next spoiler.

WackenOpenAir said:
I never worry about starting that golden age. The AI usually has some obsolete units remaining. If you keep a few of those warriors around, you can always start that golden age by attacking a redlined spear/sword/MDI or if you are lucky, archer/longbow. Even against a redlined knight/pike or cavalry you should be able to start your GA if you have a stack of these warriors. Just make sure you have artillery nearby to keep it redlined incase it gets a promotion.
Offa can exactly calculate how many you need to keep around for a good chance ! ;)

For apropriate wonders i would recommenc capturing the pyramids and building one of the scientific ones yourself. If the pyramids are within reach that is of course.

I have my own thoughts about this game as far as conquests or dominations are concerned, but i'll keep my mouth shut until the next spoiler.

Once AI warrior kills my veteran full health Knight! :lol:
Of course I will solve the GA problem I only checked it. ;)
And I have some strategies for different way in my game. :mischief:
My main enemy is time.

I wish I could join you, guys, in this discussion, but I am sure that moderators will not forgive me. On another hand I still do not qualify for the next spoiler, so I have to keep my mouth shut even if it will appear soon.

On not spoiler related topic, I absolutly agree with this one.

Dynamic said:
My main enemy is time.

It looks like this game will take enourmous amount of time. GOTM39 is not an option for me anymore, I wish to finish this one in time.

(predator)

This is a tough map! It feels like a deity game, and not an easy one.

I'm going for a conquest victory and hoping that's what Kuningas has chosen for this game :)

Opening Moves

My settler moved north. He didn't see any reason to move farther and settled there on the dyes.

My worker chopped the forest at the start position which resulted in an early Enkidu. After that I built a second Enkidu and then my first settler, completing that build in 3200BC.

Expansion

With no food bonuses in sight, and with low production (few shield bonus tiles) I decided not to build a granary. My capital produced settlers for a long time, producing enkidus between while waiting to grow large enough for a settler.

My second city went beside the floodplain wheat and my third went northeast of that to take advantage of the plains wheat. Both of these cities also had low production and again I decided to just pump out workers and settlers without building a granary.

My next four cities went on river locations. When I founded the last of those in 1550BC my world looked like this:

After that I continued expanding as quickly as I could to fill the start region and the land to the east. Food remained more plentiful than shields so I still didn't build any granaries. In the floodplain region I had so much more food than shields that my two towns which shared the floodplain wheat each ended up pop rushing a settler once.

In 630BC I finished claiming what I could of the start region with a town on the eastern coast. I hadn't managed to claim it all - Babylon settled one town on my south coast and Civ X settled one in my northeastern region. I'd started putting a culture squeeze on both of these invaders as well as adding a town to push against Babylon in the west.

QSC Status

At 1000BC I had:
13 towns, population 22
1 settler, 11 native workers, 1 foreign worker
11 enkidu, 1 galley
1 barracks, 1 temple

Research

I researched at the maximum rate I could afford. I learned Alphabet in 2630BC, Writing in 1750, and Philosophy in 1475. I was first to Philosophy and took Code Of Laws as my free tech.

I learned Republic in 750BC and got a five turn revolution.

After that I began researching Literature. I wanted to take advantage of Sumeria's ability to build libraries cheaply ASAP, both to boost my research speed and to start putting greater cultural pressure on the other Civs in my area. I started prebuilds for libraries in most of my cities.

Along the way I'd been trading for other techs of course. In 610BC the last techs I needed to finish Ancient Times were all available from one rival or another. I traded for them and entered the Middle Ages at this date.

Conflict

I encountered a lot of barbarians. They didn't cause much trouble because I generally didn't attack them - my Enkidus followed defensive terrain and waited for barbarians to attack them. I lost just three Enkidus and one Curragh to barbarians. Many barbarians died attacking my units.

Before I had it all patrolled a few barbarian camps did pop up in the eastern region. I attacked only one. The others were on good defensive terrain so I left them alone rather than attack with Enkidus. Eventually Babylon destroyed them for me.

Babylon and Byzantines each extorted gold from me once. I had no interest in war and cheerfully paid them. They also remained at peace with each other, it was a quiet time for all of us.

SirPleb said:
This is a tough map! It feels like a deity game, and not an easy one.
You probably don't realise just how much happier that has made me feel about my own attempt. Thank You! :)

SirPleb said:
I'm going for a conquest victory and hoping that's what Kuningas has chosen for this game :)

Conquest???!!!
I am wondering how many conquests will be in this game (victories).
I also hope that in the second spoiler I finaly will have a chance to read about how to fight with riflemen properly. I bet you will meet at least a few of them.

solenoozerec said:
Conquest???!!!
I am wondering how many conquests will be in this game (victories).
I also hope that in the second spoiler I finaly will have a chance to read about how to fight with riflemen properly. I bet you will meet at least a few of them.

Edit: removed text, the my other thread explained to me to more carefull with spoiler info. I will not discuss anything past AA anymore :)

PS: i would appreciate a second and third spoiler this game instead fo just one finishing one. Then we could discuss a bit more within spoiler limmits while we are not yet entitled to enter the final spoiler :)

The spoilers were reduced to two per game as an experiment, because it was noticeable that the third spoiler had very little discussion.

How do players feel about this? I'll open an end-of-Industrial spoiler for COTM 8 if you think you'll have enough to discuss in both that and an end-of-game one.

AlanH said:
The spoilers were reduced to two per game as an experiment, because it was noticeable that the third spoiler had very little discussion.

How do players feel about this? I'll open an end-of-Industrial spoiler for COTM 8 if you think you'll have enough to discuss in both that and an end-of-game one.

oh i thought it would be an entering industrial one :)
Not sure if will still have much to discuss in end game spoiler then, but at least then we can discuss before we have finished our games :D

I generally like the two spoiler concept more.
But this game is unusually time consuming and will probably see a lot late victories, so it's worth three.

I concur with Klarius that 2 spoilers are enough.
In my experience, from halfway MA onwards, there are few events occuring that alter the plans one has about how to win the game. So with two spoiler-threads covering that episode I myself would only post in the thread where I finished the game.

AlanH said:

On maps where most could win in the MA or soon after, agree. For this one, I'd be beyond impressed if anyone could win in the MA. So an MA spoiler seems appropriate.

WackenOpenAir said:
oh i thought it would be an entering industrial one :)
And you'd be right .. the problem lay between my keyboard and my chair ;)

A'AbarachAmadan said:
On maps where most could win in the MA or soon after, agree. For this one, I'd be beyond impressed if anyone could win in the MA. So an MA spoiler seems appropriate.

10 bucks Sir Pleb wins in MA ? :D

klarius said:
I generally like the two spoiler concept more.
But this game is unusually time consuming and will probably see a lot late victories, so it's worth three.

I agree with both points. In general, two spoilers are better, but for some, very time consuming games, such as large maps or small water percentage or those which are not domination/conquest friendly three spoilers are appropriate.

On another hand, I think that qualification for the second one should be not being researching in IA, but being in the end of MA, lets say having Military Tradition.
Someone who has cavalry available does not really need to go to IA if he thinks that he can manage to finish the game before AI will get replaceable parts and relatively fast. There might be some use in railroads, but if it is just for a few turns, then why bother researching?

WackenOpenAir said:
haha i would never take that bet, but ur prolly right, i can see it know, domination at around 550AD or so...

WackenOpenAir said:

I'd be beyond impressed, but I don't give money away! :)

solenoozerec said:
On another hand, I think that qualification for the second one should be not being researching in IA, but being in the end of MA, lets say having Military Tradition.
Someone who has cavalry available does not really need to go to IA if he thinks that he can manage to finish the game before AI will get replaceable parts and relatively fast. There might be some use in railroads, but if it is just for a few turns, then why bother researching?

Good point. I often stop researching there even if the AI is already into the IA.

I prefer the 3 spoilers: End AA, End MA, End IA and later.
With 2 spoilers I could write second only at the end of my game and many interesting discussions will be lost because new game will start. ;)

About possibility of MA Dom/Conq win I think it's quite really if we will have saltpeter and may be really without it. :rolleyes:

You lot'll get me into trouble with ainwood :eek: End of MA spoiler is availabl, so please stop toying with the spoiler limit rules here!!!

Top Bottom