Rhye's of Civilization mod files

lurker's comment: I actually said this work "should" not be necessary

The patch will have to attempt to handle all the different relative and absolute file path definitions that Windows modders have no doubt evolved to get their mods working. To convert them all to match up with the OS X folder structure, the Mac software is going to have to jump some tall buildings. Aspyr will not be able to test all mods under all game setup conditions, so I would be pleasantly surprised if all existing mods work with the patch without any tweaking.

Also note that the Mac version has two scenario folders for every one in the PC version, so that's even more opportunity for confusion :hmm:

I don't mind posting issues and solutions--it's the work of 30 seconds--so long as others don't mind me posting them.

Eventually it will be wasted work: the patch should take care of a lot of problems, and any new ones it creates or doesn't fix will need their own solutions. But we don't know when the patch will be released, and (for my part) I don't mind posting notes that might help other users.

I was reacting to this slight misinterpretation of my words ...
dojoboy said:
As AlanH mentioned earlier, this work will not be necessary with the upcooming patch from Aspyr.

Mxzs said:
Eventually it will be wasted work: the patch should take care of a lot of problems, and any new ones it creates or doesn't fix will need their own solutions. But we don't know when the patch will be released, and (for my part) I don't mind posting notes that might help other users.

Today is the day. :) Let me know what mods are still broken with the Rev. A patch. I won't swear it's perfect, but it works now for a larger variety of mods than before.

The preferred way to install mods and third-party stuff with the Rev. A patch is by using the ~/Documents/Civilization 3 Complete (or Play the World)/ hierarchy in your home directory. Doing this should keep your game data pristine as the app now looks in your home directory first and then falls back to your game install. This has the added benefit of allowing you to have per-user mod installations, which is particularly helpful if you're not using an administrator account.

Blue Monkey said:
When you're happy with a solution that let's you play all the way through a Rhye's based game, I'll post it in the general solutions thread.

I think RoC should work out of the box with the Rev. A patch if installed to your home directory: ~/Documents/Civilization 3 Complete/Scenarios. No futzing necessary.

Let me know if that isn't the case as I specifically tested RoC 1.23 on the Rev. A patch.

Brad Oliver said:
I think RoC should work out of the box with the Rev. A patch if installed to your home directory: ~/Documents/Civilization 3 Complete/Scenarios.

Brad, I threw the RoC folder (w/ files placed within) in the ~/Applications/Civilization 3 Complete Data/Conquests folder and the .biq maps outside of the RoC folder - just like the Conquests scenarios. I then selected Conquests! in the start-up screen. ??? Worked.

dojoboy said:
Brad, I threw the RoC folder (w/ files placed within) in the ~/Applications/Civilization 3 Complete Data/Conquests folder and the .biq maps outside of the RoC folder - just like the Conquests scenarios. I then selected Conquests! in the start-up screen. ??? Worked.

That should be OK too. The "Conquests" folder is just a special-case subset of the Scenarios, from what I remember.

I don't know that many PC mods install in "Conquests" vs. "Scenarios", so my general recommendation would be to install the mods wherever they'd be on the PC (relative to Scenarios, Conquests, Art, Text, whatever) in your home directory. Hope that makes sense.

Top Bottom