Cumulative PM-based History Quiz II

Status
Not open for further replies.
luceafarul said:
I am going to prepare some tasty dishes, and they should be ready from my cuisine about Monday.
:blush: Uh, yes...
Make that next Monday, I have huge technical problems and a couple of rather busy day.
Sorry for the delay, and please don't hate me.:sad:

I know the right punishment for this atrocity!

"Norse Mythology, pt III" on 'our desk' by Christmas dammit!

;)

luceafarul said:
:blush: Uh, yes...
Make that next Monday, I have huge technical problems and a couple of rather busy day.
Sorry for the delay, and please don't hate me.:sad:
I think we will soon be the most popular pair in the World History section. ;)

thetrooper said:
I know the right punishment for this atrocity!

"Norse Mythology, pt III" on 'our desk' by Christmas dammit!

;)
Good one!:goodjob:
I am a bit hesitant about the wisdom in this suggestion, though. A thread without Hitler, muslims or destructive toys usually generates so little interest that it is not worth the effort. But since it is you, I will reconsider it.

Ciceronian said:
I think we will soon be the most popular pair in the World History section.;)
Oh I still have quite a way to go before I reach the same level of "popularity" as I have in OT anyway...:mischief:

luceafarul said:
Oh I still have quite a way to go before I reach the same level of "popularity" as I have in OT anyway...:mischief:
Well, that's what you get for peddling evil leftist anarcho-syndicalist propaganda in a forum where there is a substantial population of right-minded people trying to solve world poverty by advocating ultra-capitalism. ;) :lol:

There's a new researchable quiz up while you're waiting.

So finally, what you all waited for is here.
Without any further ado, let's start:

1. Let us start with an example of brains and beauty.
The lady below was one of the screen godesses of Hollywood, but she also made an important contribution on the field of science.
What was her name (3 p), and what sort of contribution did she make (5 p)?

2. What is more common name for a camelopard(3 p)?

3. What very common item which I am sure of most of you (if not all) own is this(3 p)?
- The Arabs made it from Salvadora persica and called it siwak. Muhammed himself is supposed even to have used it on his deathbed.
-The first ones that look like those we use today was made in China around 1500.
- The first electric ones was manufactured in 1908.
- The first one which used nylon instead of natural material was made in 1938.

4.Which US president proposed a maximum wage (3 p)?

5.Below is a scene, depicted with a lot of artistic license, of a plebeian hero of Ancient Rome.
What was his name (3 p) and what is happening on the picture (2 p)?

6. And to stay with the Romans for a little while; what sort of people are these :Andebate, Dimachaerus, Essedarius, Laquearius, Paegniarius, Secutor (3 p)?

7. A lot of important inventions was made by the Chinese. One of them is attributted to the half-mythical Ko Yu, about whom can be read first at the first century BC. What invention is that( 4 p ) ?

8. With the help of the four persons below, find the name of a 5th person (3 p). Additionally, you get 2 p for each person correctly identified.

9.In which field is the treatise Sushruta Samhita from the 8th century BC, a pioneer one(5 p)?

The most illustrious phase of Poland's cultural history is arguably the 16th century.
Below are the pictures of five of the most important people from that period, as well as their names, a short description and the years of their births and deaths.Combine the rows correctly for 3ps each, two or three correct ones gives 2.

A. Jan Kochanowski

B. Mikolaj Rej

C. Andrzej Frycz Modrzewski

D. Mikolaj Kopernik (Nicolaus Copernicus)

E. Jan Laski

I. Important Protestant evangelical reformer, secretary of Sigismund II and a leader of the Calvinist Reformation.

II. Humanist and celebrated poet, by many seen as the founder of Polish poetic literture.

III. Scholar, humanist and theologian, "the father of Polish democracy".

IV. Astronomer who provided the first first modern formulation of a heliocentric theory of the solar system.

V. Illustrious poet, writer, and musician who is regarded as one of the fathers of Polish literature.

a. 1530-1584
b. 1503-1572
c. 1505-1569
d. 1473-1543
e. 1499-1560

11. The pictures below are from an ancient city which was established about 300 BC and lasted for more than 9 centuries. Besides being the capital of an illustrious kingdom, it was also famed for its massive iron production.
What was its name (3 p) and where was it located (2 p)?

12. Here are the names of ten armed conflicts. You get 2 p for each you can identifying the principal parties , and additionally 2 for each you can place approximately correct in time:
1.Kalinga War
2.War of Jenkins ear
3.Schmalkaldic War
4.War of the Oranges
5.Black War
6.Pastry War
7.The Deluge
8.Ten Years War
9.Torstenssons War
10.War of Tatters

13. Personally I am a bit fed up with Mozartkugeln now. So let us, just for a brief moment at least, turn our attention to another of this year's musical jubilants. The young man below was indeed dubbed the Mozart of his country, but his premature death prevented him to fullfill his great promise. What was his name (5 p)?

14. What is the origin of the expression "it's raining cat and dogs" (3 p)?
There are several explanations on this one, so more than one answer will be accepted.

15. Which former world champion of chess was accused of espionage (4 p), and for what reason (4 p)?

So there are a maximum of 120 p to be earned, I hope quite a few of you will take a stab at this one.
Deadline is so far the 10th October, but that is negotiable.
Good luck to all of you and have fun(Insert smilie of your choice here).

Hi,
I have unfortunately little time to enter the quiz. Which is as good as ever from you. However I would disagree at least at half. His mother was German, his father seemed of German origin at least, too. Also his father left the family shortly after his birth, IIRC. Also Copernicus joined later the German and not Polish student association and worked in Prussia (Frauenburg).
That's all I want to add here.

Adler

I don't see the relevance in this criticism at all.
- I never claimed that those 5 people were purely etnically Poles.
- I don't think nationality was such an important issue in that era.
- I think that it is uncontroversial to associate those 5 with Polish cultural life.
- However, I don't want to discuss topics in an ongoing quiz, even if the interest so far is 0.:sad:
So most important, thanks for your feedback.:)
I have no idea why anyone else shows any interest, was it really so bad?

Hi quiz players :wavey:

I haven't had the time or inclination to play these quizzes of late, but I just want to say what a great question Luc has put forward with the Hollywood screen goddess. Hubba hubba!

luceafarul said:
I have no idea why anyone else shows any interest, was it really so bad?

Hi there attention hure! ;)

I will submit by the deadline, too many irons in the fire right now. A quick glance at the quiz tells me that I will end up in the lower tier though. But that doesn't matter of course.

:)

Rambuchan said:

I haven't had the time or inclination to play these quizzes of late, but I just want to say what a great question Luc has put forward with the Hollywood screen goddess. Hubba hubba!
Stay tuned then.
Not only do I have more pictures of her, but I have a few babe-related questions in store as well...:D

thetrooper said:
Hi there attention hure! ;)

I will submit by the deadline, too many irons in the fire right now. A quick glance at the quiz tells me that I will end up in the lower tier though. But that doesn't matter of course.

:)
I think you might do quite well, so by all means submit.
Actually the way in look thus far, you might win on default...

Ay ay ay! I think I'd manage no more than 4 points, at best. :sad: Maybe 8 if I guess at likely chess champions.

It's an interesting-looking quiz, though, and I'll enjoy reading the answers.

Taliesin said:
Ay ay ay! I think I'd manage no more than 4 points, at best. :sad: Maybe 8 if I guess at likely chess champions.
:eek: Is it that difficult?

It's an interesting-looking quiz, though, and I'll enjoy reading the answers.
I will try to make a thorough and attractive presentation, so fun and learning is mixed in good proportions.:D
The first to open an account is sydhe, who scores 24.:goodjob:
So there you go reaching for the stars, trooper.:)

luceafarul said:
:eek: Is it that difficult?
I doubt it. More likely it just happens not to overlap very well with my knowledge base. (I.e., I'm too thick. :smug: )

Rambuchan said:

Do you just have a natural homing beacon to on-screen beauties on CFC? :lol:

thetrooper steps into the fray with 14.:goodjob:
The contest will be closed by midnight if I don't get any requests about postponing the deadline.

Two participants, that's a downright shame.

OTOH this is the best I've ever done in a Cumulative PM-based History Quiz.

I've beaten more than 100000 CFC members! ;)

Nice and balanced quiz luceafarul!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom