War Weariness Mechanics

The Per Era Modifier isn't that big. Even at deity level on the last age, it's only 24% more (1,30/1,05) war weariness in the last age than in the first age.

At (for instance) emperor level, the difference between losing a catapult (classical age) and losing a mechanized infantry (modern age) is only 11% more war weariness (1.18/1.06).

It does make a difference, but it's not huge. It's probably mostly the city sizes.

well, if 5 AIs are in the modern age, it's 5 times 11%,
55% is a lot, isn't it?

well, if 5 AIs are in the modern age, it's 5 times 11%,
55% is a lot, isn't it?

I see no reason to believe that it is related to the number of AI in the modern age. It would destabalize the game if you play against many opponents. Do you have a reason to think that it works like that? :confused:

My guess would be that all the game elements affected by the 'AI per era modifier' get affected by the modifier once one civilization reaches a new age.

I see no reason to believe that it is related to the number of AI in the modern age. It would destabalize the game if you play against many opponents. Do you have a reason to think that it works like that? :confused:

My guess would be that all the game elements affected by the 'AI per era modifier' get affected by the modifier once one civilization reaches a new age.

I may be totally mistaken, but that's how I understood this formula :
x (100+AI Per Era Modifier * Era)% [-1 for everly Level above Noble].

I will read it again, and try to understand better.

I may be totally mistaken, but that's how I understood this formula :
x (100+AI Per Era Modifier * Era)% [-1 for everly Level above Noble].

I will read it again, and try to understand better.

The AI Per Era Modifier is a value from the file CIV4HandicapInfo.xml (to be exact, the modifier is called iAIPerEraModifier). I think it means 'a modifier for the AI which increases for each era of the game'. But I haven't looked in the SDK to know this.

It's just a matter of interpretation, I guess.

The AI Per Era Modifier is a value from the file CIV4HandicapInfo.xml (to be exact, the modifier is called iAIPerEraModifier). I think it means 'a modifier for the AI which increases for each era of the game'. But I haven't looked in the SDK to know this.

Ok, and what are the values for era and AIpereramodifier?
You stated +11% max, but I was under the impression that it somehow doubled for each era.

nevermind, that's only for AIs.

Ok, and what are the values for era and AIpereramodifier?
You stated +11% max, but I was under the impression that it somehow doubled for each era.

The AIperEraModifier is '-1 for everly Level above Noble', thus -1 at prince, -2 at monarch, -3 at emperor, etc. The modifier is 0 for the levels noble and below. I guess that the era's are numbered 1 till 6 (ancient, classical, medieval, renaissance, industrial, modern).

nevermind, that's only for AIs.

You mean that only the war weariness of the AI is modified (lessened) by the AIpereramodifier? That could be true. If you read the formula exactly, then this modifier seems to decrease war weariness. It would be unlikely that the people at Firaxis would decrease war weariness at the higher difficulty levels for the human player.

Only the OP, Krikkitone could tell us what he has read in the SDK. Maybe the modifier is only applied for the AI.

The AIperEraModifier is '-1 for everly Level above Noble', thus -1 at prince, -2 at monarch, -3 at emperor, etc. The modifier is 0 for the levels noble and below. I guess that the era's are numbered 1 till 6 (ancient, classical, medieval, renaissance, industrial, modern).
well, seems fair but only a guess

You mean that only the war weariness of the AI is modified (lessened) by the AIpereramodifier? That could be true. If you read the formula exactly, then this modifier seems to decrease war weariness. It would be unlikely that the people at Firaxis would decrease war weariness at the higher difficulty levels for the human player.
yep, lower ww on deity than on settler probably is AI only.
But I'll peek into the SDK (not right now) to check if there is a different formula for the human.

Only the OP, Krikkitone could tell us what he has read in the SDK. Maybe the modifier is only applied for the AI.
Or anyone who understands the code ;)

Krikkitone, in post #7, said that WW from each adversary is kept separate. But if you are fighting two or more opponents then presumably you are affected by the sum of whatever weariness is applied by each. And what happens if one war ends - which should start to reduce weariness - while another continues ?
Also, nobody has answered the question of air warfare: does this affect WW or not ?

Good question about air power - I would like to know the answer. Did we ever discuss if fighting barbarians affects WW?

loosing an aircraft counts as a loss though... i might have missed it, but do you/they get war weariness from loosing a worker? its a unit yes, but not a military one with actual combat..

loosing an aircraft counts as a loss though... i might have missed it, but do you/they get war weariness from loosing a worker? its a unit yes, but not a military one with actual combat..

from post 1
You capture a unit=+1
Your unit is captured=+2

So I assume that having a worker captured counts as +2 in the ww total.
Could it be the same for planes? Or is a bombing counted as an attack?
dunno

In time of plances WW tend to be so hight it does not matter.
One has to run full combination of Polica state/Rasmore/Jail to survive anyway.

Oh right, thankyou.

[quute]One has to run full combination of Polica state/Rasmore/Jail to survive anyway.[/quote]

you can say that again, haha. long wars end up with 6 population cities.. all drafted. :)

It is indeed. And it is applied to almost any modifier in the game for the AI; multiplied by 0 in the ancient age to 5 in the modern age.

It is indeed. And it is applied to almost any modifier in the game for the AI; multiplied by 0 in the ancient age to 5 in the modern age.

Ok, thank you. The modifier then works as expected. Good to have a confirmation.

Reading the OP, I could understand the formula as it relates to human players but like others got confused on the last 2 lines with the iAIWarwearinessPercent & iAIPerEraModifier. So I copied the relevant rows of CIV4HandicapInfo.xml into a spreadsheet and applied the formulas for the AI WW reduction.

As you can clearly see from the table, at Deity, in the Ancient Age, the AI gets 20% of the WW of a human falling to 15% in the Modern Age which is indeed a modest 25% reduction (Roland J gave 24% in post #40).

The table is rounded to the nearest 1% but a spreadsheet is attached for anyone that wants to check.

Attachments

• AI War Weariness Mechanics.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 277
As you can clearly see from the table, at Deity, in the Ancient Age, the AI gets 20% of the WW of a human falling to 15% in the Modern Age which is indeed a modest 25% reduction (Roland J gave 24% in post #40).

Ah, yes. That was based on the assumption that the first age of the game would be numbered 1, but it is instead numbered 0 according to the post by Nacht a few posts above yours.

It's the difference between 125/100 and 130/105. You are right of course. :)

The table looks nice and clear.

Top Bottom