Many Leaders Game 2 - Sword Training

Turns 51-100
Spoiler :
Almost immediately (T53), my scout is gobbled up by a panther.

In 1760BC (T56), I switched to Buddhism, Slavery and Organized Religion. I should have done it earlier but I had forgotten I was spiritual.

In 1560BC (T61), I found Adrianople at the copper site. Two turns later, Buddhism spreads to Adrianople. How convenient. :lol:

In 1200BC (T70), I finally meet Alex with my scouting Buddhist Missionary :lol:

In 1040BC (T74), I complete the Oracle in Constantinople, taking CoL and founding Confucianism in Adrianople. The same turn, my Buddhist missionary spreads Buddhism to Sparta

In 975BC (T76), I revolt to Hereditary Rule upon researching Monarchy

In 700BC (T87), I found Nicaea at the choke point

In 475BC (T96), I spread Buddhism to Bombay and Gandhi converts

Unfortunately, in closing borders with Alex, he won't reopen them after I found out I must pass through Greece to spread religions

Techs: BW, Pottery, Priesthood, Writing, CoL (Oracle), Monarchy, Alphabet, Aesthetics

My lands:

T51-100

Report from Lisboa, year 375BC
Spoiler :
Ok , let’s resume: Lisboa – 5 pop buiding worker ; Porto – 1 pop buiding warrior. Researching myst ( 3 turns ). Press enter and:

Not bad...

Turn 54 gandhi goes Slave happy and we’re going to Masonry ( Glighthouse )

Turn 63 We get writing and signed OB to Churchill to release our culturally nailed scout

Turn 73 Gandhi has cooper. Maybe he can hold against alex for a while. Next turn a galley is built to scout the wild wild west :p

Turn 75 We find a old friend that had some cosmetic surgery recently....

And Gandhi becames budhist ( like alex... nice move Gandhi :lol: )

Alex asks for a OB. Not now...

Turn 81 Someone gets GW. It wasn’t a priority

Turn 83 A good event ( +1 gold in that square that we will work most surely until the end of the game )

Turn 84 Col ( no Oracle ). Founded Confu and adopted it ( not scared: a barb city spaw in the isthmus. Will hold our bad lands... )

Turn 87 We finish Glighthouse and the bulldog gets jewish ( I’m seeing religious wars in the future )

Turn 98 I Oracle Machinery ( bye bye new and improved (?) Greek UU )

Maps ( Sorry... by some strange reason I can’t enable Flying camera in BTS )

Glance

Thougths for next turnset:

-Capture the other barb city ( the isthmus one is captured ( nice site BTW ) )
-More workers, pls...
-Research monarchy
-Take care of religious wars ( i’m waiting for buddha gets to my lands)
-Get another Galley and scout that jungle with our woodsman 2 scout
-Whip courthouse in Coimbra and change name to that barb city
-Noble is easy as hell...
-Find the last civ
-Consider founding colony/ies in the west islands
-Let capitol grow when possible
-Get archery for xbows and consider spreading havoc in alex ( or someone else’s) land
The Save

Now I'm going to see how everybody is going...

Spoiler :

Plans: Preatorian rush Alex.

Turn 51, 1960 BC: I got this guy telling me i'm stinking rich!
Take notice how it only says 7 people, 2 being uknown. That means 1 is Genghis Khan as another SG had, and the other one as i predicted is on a far away island.
And great wall is complete.

There was some casualties in the making of the wall, for example there was an earthquake, highlighted in black.

1760 BC: Settler completed, going for another settler. I'm going to try a naked city gamble. I don't think anyone will attack me.

1640 BC: Got Warrior from a hut.

Turn 1520 BC: Cumea built on choke location.

1400 BC: Neapolis Founded oon the desert tile.

1160 BC: see babrs, i'm starting to get worried, i'm going to have to end my naked city tactics soon.

Turn 93:

Somehow i get this message now. No wonder why i couldn't build preatorians....

Turn 101: Yes i played an extra turn to.... :( But it was an accidental click.

My empire at 101th turn:
pics a little big... :
Spoiler :

Rome's build order: Settler, Settler, Worker, settler, warrior, fishing boat, fishing boat, Followed by many preatorians
Antium's building order: Worker, barracks, axemen, spearmen,
Neapolis's Building order: Worker, barracks, Granary,
Cumea's building order: worker, granary, Barracks,
Ravenna's build order: Worker, barracks
Tech: Iron Working, Sailing
Huts: Warrior

Aftermath: I started my Preatorian building, getting them to Cumea, then i'm going to launch an attack on alex. so things look good.

Save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/108694/MLG2_BC-0350.CivBeyondSwordSave

and now i'm going to open some spoiler tags.

Spoiler :
Nice turnset. Goals, grab Theology/Christianity. Settle the choke point and two other good sites. Secondary goal, get the holy site in the Capital Aksum.

This involved some crouching settlers until the arrival of the pre-techs and the Oracle

So build order was settler, settler, Oracle - settlers crouching - until Mono and Writing were teched with not much commerce to be had (envy the Dutch and Mayans)

Hoping for a prophet over a Great spy, although I love thse Gspys now.

Prophet came in ,

Writing first to avoid Judaism to encourage religious wars on the other continent, but I got it anyway.

Then , Oracle popped Monarchy

...Prophet popped Theology ,

...settlers stopped crouching and settled, choke point copper and one more for floodplains/elephants

Whew. No turns left to make a galley to settle the marble over the sea. I will open borders to Alex to give him Christianity soon,missionary waiting, after one more city is settled on one of the golds.

Running HR to build up population, looking to defend only for the time being.

With this opening I hope to get an Apostolic victory and will build the Palace in the next 50.

Attachments

• Zara_mice_ BC-0375.CivBeyondSwordSave
    107.9 KB · Views: 49
PS. I'm a flying camera bunny, and I took this to showcase the ethnic artstyles by the EDU team which I put in the custom assets.

Turnset goals:
- Build 1st worker
- do something else

Spoiler :

To be honest I don't quite like our lands, so I order a galley from Powerty Point to scout that marble island to the west. Turns out that it isn't much better. There are more islands most covered in deep jungle so that don't seem to be an option now, unless I really need the marble.

Tech order:
Meditation - Priesthood - Sailing (for the galley) - Pottery - Horseback Riding (hut) - Metal Casting - Machinery (from oracle), start monarchy for wines city and extra happiness from hereditary rule. We don't have any happiness resources at hand unless I settle far to east which wasn't in my plan. 4 cities will hopefully be enough for now.

Built oracle in Cahokia (capital), then granary, barracks and a totem pole for all the archery bonuses. Will make a worker now as we really lack them. Resources are not connected yet because they are health resources and we need happiness. We don't do anything with copper, but it's a good hammer tile. Built two settler/dog soldier pairs from Powerty Point, settled flood plains city and wine city. Choosed not to make a choke point in the south-east as discussed, I won't be defending. I will crush my opponents ;)

Next turn I will get some crossbowmen out and hopefully start conquering our continent. Let's hope everyone has copper or iron so they build alot melee units. Heck, maybe I should trade my copper for any who don't have it. Archer or longbows guarding cities will still be tough but melee units won't stand a chance.

I'm kind of sad that I waste so much time in this when in my solo game I rushed 5 axes and conquered two civilization on my continent in 70 turns, then grew on with steady 3x more score than second civilization :p

Just... one... more... turn :cry:

Just a comment on a couple of comments regarding the difficulty level :p

Remember this is just a "practise" game. We should all be able to win at Noble level.

Also, in my games of BtS (and in comments I've seen by Blake), the AI starts slower now and concentrates on early expansion rather than techs. By the end of the game, they should be catching up fast.

Finally, I bet some of us will have some "issues" with our Greek neighbour by the end of the game as well ;).

Just waiting on GreyFox, Conroe and vra to complete Round 2.

Looking at the other games, i noticed people are already getting Machinery... I'm so far behind on tech. :(

^^That's the price of getting enough preats to conquer the world :p

And Ozbenno... touché :blush: . I was only stating I'm not used to have Philo avaliable with Oracle for a long time.... And I'm pretty sure that I'll see alex's troops in a not so far away future

Okay, guys, I probably need to explain my apparent absence here. I am still sans-BTS right now. I had ordered it two weeks ago online, but had yet to hear from them ... so I grew tired and sneaked out to the shops today (since I don't have to work today while significant other has to) ... however, fate had it that none of the shops carry it. Apparently, the distributor keep delaying their shipment to the Fine City, and no one in Singapore has seen a BTS DVD yet (at last not from the local shops). So there, I am going to have to catch up with you guys for 4000 years :p

Meanwhile, I promise not to peek, but I won't be able to discuss the brilliance of your strategies either.

--

Turns 51-100 for the Dutch ...

Spoiler :
Uneventful turns. Hardly worth the spoiler tags, to be honest. I founded the 3 cities on my dot map. The first one was the copper city, which built a Barracks and started turning out troops. Next was the flood plains and wine city, followed by the choke point city.

I built three more Workers (for a total of 4) and will probably crank out a couple more during the next set. I also trained 2 axes and 2 spears and sent them directly to the choke city. I then started training swords.

I met two more of the neighbors: Churchill and Khan. I also built the Great Wall for the counter-espionage benefit. I am now 24 turns away from popping a Great Spy.

On the research front, I completed Mathematics. I also picked up Sailing (to connect my cities) and Masonry (for the Great Wall). After that was Currency and I am currently 2 turns away from completing Code of Laws and founding Confucianism. After that, I'm thinking of heading towards Civil Service. Although, I might go back and pick up Alphabet. I consciously skipped Alphabet because of the difficulty level. But after 100 turns, it will probably behoove me to go back and pick it up.

Attachments

• Willem van Oranje BC-0375.CivBeyondSwordSave
    122.8 KB · Views: 50
Could we also see the # of cities?

The difference between EP with and without the early GW is staggering. Fortunately, I think espionage is not necessary on Noble since the AIs are so far behind in tech.

No one else beelined the Shwedagon Paya? But it's so shiny! :mischief:

Ozbenno seems to be the only one who pulled off the CS slingshot, it's going to hard to beat that at this point.

Everyone looks in pretty good shape I'd say. Hope you're all enjoying the game.

As I said before, the saves are starting to take very different directions. Most people have a city next to the bronze and on the choke point with Alex but the position of the rest of the cities is varied. I know looking at FB's save I realised I put my fourth city in the wrong spot :mad: :lol: . Also FB has settled marble island (again made me go doh! as I need the marble for Great Library).

Tech-wise everyone is going their own way. All Ancient Era techs are known, at least one person has researched every Classical Era techs (except Drama) and four Mediaeval Era techs are known (Civil Service, Feudalism, Machinery and Theology) all from The Oracle. The total beakers researched figure is somewhat misleading as it does not take into account techs available for trading.

The other thing that is intesting is the Espionage Points. pigswill has the most EP/turn and he's still got the slider on 0%. Why? He started building courthouses. The value of courthouses for espionage is HUGE. Hopefully we'll have ChrTh stealing some techs next turns to show us all how its done.

Kodii's save is really interesting in that he's got everyone (nearly) converted to Buddhism. I imagine next save he'll have Apostolic Palace built. I'm interested to see how this one plays out.

As I said in a previous post, one of the things my perverse nature is looking forward to is who gets into "handbags at ten paces" with Alex :lol: I wouldn't be surprised if he declares on someone in the next set, can guarantee he will by the end of the game (I'm banking on it in mine).

Honourable mention to the wonder hogs (those with 3 wonders), mice, Feedback, azaris and r rolo. :goodjob:

Think that's all I noticed. ;)

FeedBack is running away....

It is interesting to see that many people had gone to GW even without espionage as a main goal ( by the way , tech stealing will be hard on Noble )

Only one Pyramid? :p

While I'm not storming ahead I'm fairly happy with my game to date. Got another city to be settled next turn, couple of settlers on the way, economy in reasonable shape. Think I'll grab marble city (probably settle on top of the marble) and build some wonders before continuing expansion. My aim is to occupy the whole northern peninsula.
I should have gone for Oracle earlier on. In previous versions multiple prophets were sub-optimal; with beefed up golden ages they're now ok.

Top Bottom