Many Leaders Game 2 - Sword Training

Lurker comment:

Thirdly, can anyone tell me exactly how life expectancy and approval rating work (I assume it is related to health and happiness respectively).

From here:

Approval Rate- Is the percentage of happy faces your cities generate divided by the total number of happy and unhappy faces produced. The formula is happy / happy + unhappy.

Life Expectancy- Works on the same principle as the approval rate except it deals with health and sickness. The formula is health / health + sickness. At the beginning of the game the default is 30 years.

For all those who moved their capital one north, having seen the location of iron on the map do you wish you had settled in place?

I remember seeing a message saying that you have connected iron to your capital or something like that.

because some people seem to have popped 2-3 techs from huts. :cry:
You know as I was playing, I thought I was having some incredible good luck, popping so many techs from the huts. But then I read these reports where some folks were popping Bronze Working and Writing. :wow: All I got were cheap worker techs, like the Wheel and Mining. :lol:

anyone thought of settling on those islands west from start?
I've given it some cursory consideration. But there are several good city sites on the mainland. So I'm not prioritizing the island, just yet. I have sailed a Workboat around the island and it does seem to be a pretty good chunk of land. I'll definitely get some Settlers over there, but probably not in the next 50.

My people don't like me?

Oh well, that doesn't concern me unduly. I've 6000 years or so of undisputed control, life is good :p

My freind Ozzy.... WHAT A TOUGH JOB! :eek:

Man, I'd never find time to do this. Actually, I had started a project for extracting data from saves automatically when I first joined the trash games, but I aborted it sometime ago, when I got stuck. Maybe with BtS I'll just wake the bear again... :mischief:

I was hoping not to see the iron and horses locations, as I didn't find them in my own save. Now that I know there's iron on the capitol BFC, I'll go with the settle plan more accurately.

Actually, I'm a little surprised by being first in population, food and hammers. I built 2 settlers and :whipped: a little. Maybe I need to do this more.. ;)
I was lucky to get writing from a hut in this game. And a new thing I noticed... I'm playing a big and small map offline now... I just popped compass from a hut around 500 AD on an unclaimed island. The AI is good to send workboats around for scouting, but they seldom build galleys and settle away from the starting island. Other thing I did and paid off, I sent a galley with a scout and an axe aboard for these hut popping and exploring. I ran into a couple of barb warriors on the way. Maybe this should be a new tactic on my book. ;)

When I get home today (and this should be a little hard. The subway workers are on a strike for two days now :gripe:), I'll take a look at the saves again and post some thoughts.

Leave it to me to have the worst army. :lol:

Then again I have the best GNP. This is probably because I settled the floodplains second and immediately. That also explains why I have the worst life expectancy.

In an offline game the other day i popped Astronomy.

FB, good tactic with the scout on a galley looking for huts.

I'm thinking about a colony on that island to the west. Maybe grab the marble for me and liberate the rest. Question , can I keep one city on a landmass and liberate the others? One way to find out I suppose.

Lurker comment:

From here:

Approval Rate- Is the percentage of happy faces your cities generate divided by the total number of happy and unhappy faces produced. The formula is happy / happy + unhappy.

Life Expectancy- Works on the same principle as the approval rate except it deals with health and sickness. The formula is health / health + sickness. At the beginning of the game the default is 30 years.

The "best" Approval Rate and Life Expectancy is actually 50%/50 years. That means you're getting the most from your citizens. Excess health and happiness means you have growth potential, and not much else. I get bronze working/slavery next turn; that should drop my approval a bit. :whipped:

First 50 Turns Report

Kinda boring. No wonders yet, no big reveals with Espionage.

Spoiler :

Technical Note: I am playing with Solver's AI Fix

Ok, I'll be following along with what I said in my pre-4000 BC strategy post.
4000 BC

Oooh, start with a Scout. Will pop hut with him, get a map revealing more huts.

Mutal is built 1 Tile N from starting position for extra food. Start Hunting, due in 5.

Hmm, lots of lowlands to the East, I suspect my second (production-focus) city will be in the NW.

3840 BC

39 gold from a hut

3800 BC

Hunting comes in. Fishing next, due in 5.

3760 BC

Another hut, 37 gold.

3680 BC

Mutal completes Warrior. Ah, Holkan requires Bronze Working, ok, I'll research that next. Start another Warrior.

3600 BC

Fishing comes in, start Bronze Working.

Hrmmm ... not much to the NW. May be N or NE for the second city.

3520 BC

Exploring warriors pop a hut, netting 51 gold.

IT: Scouts beat Lions

3440 BC

We meet Gandhi in our SE. Looks like we have an Espionage target.

Buddhism FIADL.

3400 BC

Second Warrior comes in. Start Worker.

3320 BC

Hinduism FIADL

Hut provides us with another Scout.

3280 BC

New scout kills Wolf.
Gandhi converts to Hinduism.

3200 BC

More wolf-killing

3160 BC

Bronze Working comes in. I'm going to go with Animal Husbandry next to get the Pigs online.

3000 BC

Worker > Holkan, but I max for Growth and will switch to Settler when grows to Size 3.

Worker, of course, has nothing to do :rolleyes: ... actually, not true. I mine the Pigs since it'll take 4 turns, exactly the amount of turns left for Animal Husbandry. That'll give me extra hammers for the Settler build while I convert to Pasture.

2800 BC

Animal Husbandry is in. Not ready to build Great Wall, so I go with Agriculture next.

2760 BC

:dance: Hut pops Writing! :banana:

2680 BC

Well well well ... Alexander :rolleyes: ...

Mutal grows to 3 ... but I decide to finish the Holkan, as the pasture-ized pigs will help me grow to 4 in 6 as well -- I'll probably get the Settler faster this way without crimping research.

2640 BC

With Agriculture due next turn, I up espionage a bit.

2600 BC

Winston Churchill, eh?

Agriculture comes in. Start Masonry.

2520 BC

Well, investing in Espionage has revealed that Gandhi is two turns away from Monotheism. I drop Gandhi to 1 EP a turn for maintenance purposes (?) ... see if I lose the Tech knowledge.

2440 BC

Gandhi discovers Judaism. Starts researching Hunting.

Holkan completes, start Settler.

Espionage to 40%

2320 BC

Masonry comes in, start The Wheel. Espionage is dropped to 10%

2240 BC

Alex and Winnie want Open Borders. I deny them for now.

2080 BC

The Wheel comes in, start Pottery. Settler is built, start Great Wall, due in 17 with growth in 6. Settler heads to the NE.

Found a hut, gold 43 gold.

I raise Espionage to 30%. Churchill seems to care about me more than anybody else does, so I weight towards him.

2000 BC

Settler is 1 turn away from building a new city in a totally unsuggested spot. Great Wall is 15 turns away, but I'm a chopping as fast as I can.

Since I want to get the report posted, I'll wait until the next 50 for some pics. Hopefully we'll get some more espionage-related activities at that point. Right now I can see all Demographics.

The save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/2578/Pacal_II_BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave

Some thoughts after reading everybody else:

• I settled the 1 N as well; I wanted the food due to my spy city strategy so actually not having to 'waste' a tile by mining it was beneficial
  • No random events. How boring!
  • I need to compare my demographics to see how I compare to the rest of the group ... will edit the post shortly with that

Demographics:

GNP: 20 ... WORST! :cry:
Prod: 8 ... around the average
Crop Yield: 12 ... pretty low
Soldiers: 25000 ... just below the average
Land Area: 28000 ... Betwixt average and worst
Population: 48000 ... Below average
Approval: 55% ... Below average
Life Expectancy: 71 ... Above average! :dance:
Beakers a Turn: +11 ... WORST :cry:
Total Beakers (not going to bother checking since I've been actually running espionage)
I do have a total of 190 EPs so far

Wow, I'm a-sucking in the demos. Oh well, I'll blame it on my Espionage focus :mischief:

You never know ChrTh , you might end up with more beakers than the rest of us with that strat.

BTW I'm having trouble loading some of the saves. I patched the game up to 3.02. Some games load and some don't. Has anyone had similar issues?

BTW I'm having trouble loading some of the saves. I patched the game up to 3.02. Some games load and some don't. Has anyone had similar issues?

I reinstalled without the patch and all saves work fine for me now.

You're not goign to have much to steal on Noble...

That's what I was thinking. Then again, unless I go for a space race victory, there may reach a point where I just turn off science for espionage and let everyone else research for me.

Herein lies the issue for my game: this is my first game with espionage, so while I am following an espionage-first strategy, who knows if I'm actually building the strategy correctly?

BTW, I realized that my GNP is last because I mm'd for the Great Wall so I'm using several all :hammers: no :commerce: tiles, so that'll rectify once GW is complete.

You're not goign to have much to steal on Noble...

It can still pay off... Just beeline hard and backfill with espionage. No WFYABTA, no uneven tech trades, less "you have traded with our worst enemy!"...

By the way ChrTh, thanks for having less :science: /turn than me :lol:

By the way ChrTh, thanks for having less :science: /turn than me :lol:

It's actually less than that because I'm not running 100% :science: ... but again, I think it's just the timing of building of the Great Wall, and the dearth of commerce.

But you're welcome :)

Played another 51 (!) turns up to 350bc. Haven't lost (yet).

Report to follow.

Top Bottom