Many Leaders Game 2 - Sword Training

You're definately playing a different game to me. I doubt I've ever had Gandhi declare on anyone in a game I've played. He's so easy to get to pleased, regardless of religion.

It has happened to me alot when i found a religion.

On the matter of religion:

IIRC, one of the fun things you can do with Espionage is convert an AI's religion if he's not willing to change when you ask. I imagine I may use that to keep Alex Confused.

I just checked and you can (no idea how many EPs it takes). I'm definately up for trying this one out (probably only works for 5 turns though and he'll swap back).

i tried it to, it depands on how much of his people are that religion.

if 45 % of people are hindu, and 55% are jewish, and you enforce hindu as a state religion, your more likely to have success and he stays that way longer.

i think that's how it works... because that's the way it seems.

I just checked and you can (no idea how many EPs it takes). I'm definately up for trying this one out (probably only works for 5 turns though and he'll swap back).

:mischief: ... 2 turns of anarchy every 12 turns? Not a bad plan, if you ask me :mwaha:

Hello!

After a Father's day weekend, I'm back.

Ozzy's CS slingshot is awesome! Noe he's gonna be a monster!

Seriously, guys... I just can't understand this game. In the early days I get wonder happy and settler happy and have the best soldiers? :lol:

Now it's time to ask some advice. This is the last turnset I can say I know what to do. But when this is over, one out of two things happen:
1- I can say the game is won and I keep hitting enter
2- I can say I don't know how the heck the AI got past me.

I think mice remembers last MLG. He almost reconfigured my empire on a specific time and from then on I could win my first prince victory. I want to use this game, if possible, to adjust my :old: strategies to BtS...

I think I focus too much on hammers. If I can ask you... How do you manage your early empire? How much focus you give to commerce? I'm assuming a CE here. I seem to build my first cottage very late. And I don't produce enough of them. I know it varies, but... Some people have, as a rule of a thumb, some milestones. Say, x cities at 1 AD, y cities at 1000AD... Do you have something like that for cottages?

The cottage question is a tough one. I really like to get them in about 2000-1000BC on epic. 1 or 2 in the capital can be nice to get them built up for CS time... mainly I like my 2nd or 3rd city to be a cottage focused one...

It's heavily dependant on land and civ traits though - not a 'right' answer to be had? My fave cottage target is floodplains, accelerated growth and river bonuses are great.

In this game, I havn't made many, running an SE instead. Got some in the capital and that's about it. With the pyramids, this is producing nice returns for me, but really it's a side benefit to pushing out many GPs.

I cottage really early. My philosophy is that an early tech advantage is crucial, regardless of victory condition. A worker should always be your first or second build. You should secure a food source with the worker first (except if you've got seafood) and a mine second (or maybe gems), I would generally have a cottage third. That's just the way I play and I know plenty of people will disagree.

Remember FB, you're philosophical, so cottages don't necessarily play as big a role in your plans, if you're going SE. I also don't think your focus on hammers/food has been detrimental to your game.

Remember FB, you're philosophical, so cottages don't necessarily play as big a role in your plans, if you're going SE. I also don't think your focus on hammers/food has been detrimental to your game.

Yeah, I know that. Sooner or later, in my game, I'll have to revolt to caste system and use merchants to support the empire. I was just wondering, as I tend to such really hard when I play a financial leader and have to cottage. I tend to go to the beaches and use Colossus powered sea tiles instead. :mischief:

Thanks for your answers! :D

Hello!

Getting in early this week as I'm off for a week and a half.

Might get invovled in the weekend discussion if I find a net connection and have time.

If any of you are off to Gencon, then have a look at the ENworld events and I might see you there. :)

Will catch up when I return.

Have fun! :)

Spoiler :

A 3rd State of the Union for Lincoln!

Well, this has been a nice turnset. Stole Ozzy's idea and managed to squeeze in a CS slingshot. Built the mausoleum and started exploring my variant with 2 golden ages. I went a 'bit' wonder happy as well.

Research ran:
Priesthood > CoL > Alphabet (Civil Service IBT) > Metal Casing > Iron Working > Aesthetics > Literature > Music > Currency > Theology > Paper.

The slingshot, then just chasing wonders and short term goals.

Variant:
2 X 12 turn Golden ages triggered! Only 4 to go... Here's some of the sillier excesses of that:

New BTS content:
Quest and a new event. Might try to finish the quest out of curiousity, pity I let the Great Lighthouse slip me by:

Great People:
2 Great Engineers - GL and Mausoleum rushed.
Great Prophet - Built the Kong Miao
3 Great Scientists - 2 golden age triggers and an accademy.
1 Great Artist (music) - golden age trigger

Construction:

Wonders:
GL (rushed), Mausoleum (rushed), The Hanging Gardens, The Colosus, The Oracle, Shwedagon Paya, The Statue of Zeus

These were built for a combi of effects and GPP.

Also built a lot of infrastructure. Squeezed in half a dozen axes, which have served well to keep the barbs down.

Founded 3 new cities - San Francisco by the southern copper. Fishy Beavers - to the north by the fur and fish. Houston over by the marble on the island.

Civics:
Switched to a Representative, Beuracratic, Caste System with Pacifism. Which is suiting me admirably.
Changed religions from Judeism to Confucianism - the shrine was better placed.

Diplomacy:
Had a right funny turn when I ran into the other american empire - fakers!

Beyond that, have not had that much to do with the others. Kinda leaving them alone. Signed a Corn/Wine deal with Alex to attempt to keep him a little sweet. He's got problems of his own though - at religious loggerheads with Ghandi, KK and Churchill.

State of the Union in 800AD:

The plan:

Got 5 cities with pure GPP pools, allowing me to control what people I pop out. The tricky engineers and prophets are under control, caste system will allow me to make up for the rest.

My military is a bit weak. After the Hagia Sophia, Washington will be free from wonder/infrastructure building. Ideally will research machinery and build up a modern force of Maces/Xbows/Pikes to detter any AI aggression.

Will squeeze in some more towns. Snap up the stone, if it isn't taken, then expand a little more on the island/continent end with houston on it.

Think I'm going to play pacifist. See how the AIs get on if I leave them alone. Intention is still for 6 golden ages and a spaceship.

Have included 2 saves. The final one, and the one from the turn before, when the golden age is running at its peak.

Golden Age Save - 780AD - Here

Real Save - 800AD - Here

^^It depends a lot of the food avaliable to the city. Cottage tiles normally don't allow extra food to grow your city, so a good compromise ( the one that I normally use) is to farm grassland to make the city grow to the :) cap ( or to the break even point if HR is on ) and then work cottages.

Charles de Gaulle, 375 BC - 800 AD:

Spoiler :
Priorities for this turnset:

- Build up the military.
- Build more workers.
- Take barb isthmus city.
- Found 2-3 new cities.
- Find more civs.
- Tech towards Theology, try and grab AP.

Turn 1: France is most cultured. About right, too. Confu spread in Reims.

Turn 2: Set science/espionage to 50/40 temporarily to get some dirt on Alex and Mehmed.

Turn 3: Statue of Zeus completed in Paris. A sword an and axe leave to capture the barb city of Visigoth that is blocking the path to Greece. I am more powerful than Alex.

IBT: Gandhi wants Monarchy. :rolleyes:

Turn 4: Currency -> Polytheism. Temple of Artemis BIAFAL.

Turn 5: Now running surplus at 90% science, definitely time to build more cities.

Turn 6: Polytheism -> Monotheism. Volcanic eruption near Corinth, or so we're told.

Turn 8: Monotheism -> Theology.

Turn 9: Settler sets off. I think I will keep Visigoth and found a city to grab the horse/rice/insence site for my own city.

Turn 12: A hut in the desert near Rheims is conquered by a sword, gaining 25 gold. Visigoth is captured for 87 gold. Barb economy is action. Configure weights so I can see Gandhi's research.

Turn 13: Buddhism spread in Visigoth now that they got some civilization. This means I can smooch up to Alex if necessary to avoid war.

Turn 14: Gandhi is 3 turns from Monarchy, sell it to him for 55 gold.

IBT: Meet Churchill. Something tells me we won't get along...

Turn 15: Christianity is founded in 1 AD in Lyons. Just in time. :lol: The Medieval Age begins. Theology -> Literature. Revolt to OrgRel + HR. Work boat sails to Mongolian lands and meets Kublai KHAAAAAAAAN!

IBT: KK is Buddhist (the warmonger religion it seems :crazyeye:) and wants me to cancel deals with Gandhi. He's behind a body of water so I say 'no'.

Turn 16: Convert to Confu, more anarchy.

Turn 17: Tours founded and converted to Confusion. Paris -> Apostolic Palace. :D Espionage bumped up to 10% because I want to see what's going on around the world.

Turn 20: Slight barb infestation up north. It's April in Paris as Duke is born. I save him for a golden age a bit later.

IBT: OB to Churchill.

Turn 21: Literature -> Metal Casting.

Turn 24: Hinduism spread in 3 French cities. Must be Gandhi with his missionaries.

Turn 27: Apostolic Palace completed in Paris. I vote myself in as the only candidate and only Confucian. Pyramids are still up for grabs, so try them in Paris. To try and secure them, I burn the Duke for a Golden Age.

Turn 28: Metal Casting -> Mathematics. Work boat meets Washington and that's the full six. He has no religion so I don't give him OB lest he steal my religion.

Turn 31: Mathematics -> Calendar. After that I'm going for Music for another Golden Age to exploit Mausoleum of Mausollos to the max. Pyramids BIADL. :gripe: Should've done the 'mids before the AP. KK adopts Representation. :mad:

Turn 34: Calendar -> Music.

Turn 35: Golden Age is over but another will come soon enough. Washington converts to Buddhism. Almost the entire world has converted, this could have serious repercussions on myself and Gandhi.

IBT: Mehmed doesn't receive CoL. Mysticism sold to KK for 40 gold to patch up things between us.

Turn 38: Great Library completed in Lyons. Marseilles founded on the copper spot. Visigoth is amazingly well placed - it has dye, banana and rice. I've always thought there must be two city placement codes: a stupid one for the AI civs and a good one for the barbs.

Turn 40: Music -> Civil Service. The great artist is put to sleep to wait until Mausollos snuffs it.

IBT: KK wants again to cancel deals with Gandhi. Sorry, but it's not according to my plan.

Turn 42: A great scientist pops in Paris and lightbulbs Philosophy. Taoism founded in Marseille. I realize I've got three religions and could also go for a cultural if I wanted to.

Turn 44: The HE is done in Orleans. Alex has too much on his hands. Just for safety I convert to Buddhism. He's probably going after Gandhi and I have a mixed stack in Visigoth, so there's not much to fear, but a pointless war would be an irritant now and there's a risk of getting dogpiled by the buddhists. They'll all follow the Confucian AP soon enough... Well, the AP is now Buddhist, but that will change soon enough.

Turn 45: Alex is now Pleased, KK is still Annoyed. C'est la vie.

Turn 46: MoM ready in Paris. Make some deals with Alex (Corn <-> Clam, Cow <-> Wine) to keep him happy.

Turn 49: Civil Service -> Machinery. Revolt to Bureaucracy.

Turn 50: Confu spread in Bombay. One down, five to go. That concludes all the business I intend to do with Gandhi, so the OB is over.

Not an amazing turnset, but I did grab nearly all the wonders I went for and built a sizable army. Alex hasn't declared yet. Soon I will have macemen and can join in on the fun if he decides to take out Gandhi.

My plan is to sneak Confu to all the five remaining civs, switch state religions, and then vote myself to win. It's an underhanded, treacherous, cowardly, and sneaky way to win. Perfect for the French! :p

Played 49 turns up to 800ad.

The save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/90414/Gilgamesh_AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
Spoiler :

Focussed on wonders and expansion this time round. Tech rate is a bit poor but should catch up once cities get established.

Techs: poly, mono, aesthetix, masonry, calendar, lit, currency, monarchy, compass, CoL, CS, HbR, MC. 4 turns from machinery.

More exploring, found remaining civ but still no route around the world.

Wonders: Parthenon, ToA, MoMin capital.
Glib in copper/pig city.

Founded 8 more cities.

GPs: Great Spy explored then settled. GS academy in copper/pig.

158bpt, 30 ept, 6 gpt, 89 hammers/turn, 150k soldiers, 2010 pop.

Spoiler :
Goals of the turnset:

Another 3-4 cities would be good, research wise would like to have Education and Printing Press out of the way. Wonder wise, Great Library of course, Colossus and one other I'll talk about later :mischief:

One of the advantages in this game is having a week between sessions to re-evaluate what is going on in this game and what to change.

In that vein, I delay the Great Library and start up a galley then settler in Persepolis as I should really have the Marble before Great Library building. I'm in zero danger of losing it.

Also, I realise that I've stuffed up the timing of the next BtS thing I want to highlight. Music is swapped for Calendar, you know what it is yet?

Founded a city next to the Marble.

Build the Kong Miao.

Finally meet another contestant.

Nice timing this one as I was needing the happiness.

Great Library built.

Taoism founded.

I research Machinery as I'm going to switch to Confusedness and the maces will help against Alex. I switch civics to Pacifism and Hereditary Rule as well.

Build The Colossus.

First GS goes on an Academy in the capital.

A quest. Hmmm.

This is a real bummer (sort of) as I'm about 2 techs from Education which will lose the quest. Lets see what some whipping can achieve. I thought I took a piccie but didn't this is from the autolog on my last turn. I'm definately going to go for it just to see the rewards.

Yet another city.

OK, this is what I was waiting for.

There are two changes in BtS I really like, the fact your first Golden Age can be started with one Great Person and this wonder gives you 50% extra on your Golden Age. Therefore, I can use the Great Artist from Music for an extended Golden Age now (12 turns instead of 8). Essentially in BtS, you're first to Music, you get a free Golden Age.

Oh dear, another quest.

Without this quest I would have built a total of zero stables.

And another victim.

An unusual late pickup as well. I'm generating 49GP points/turn in the capital.

Here's the state of things at 800AD.

The quest has stuffed up my usual research path as I'm waiting for the last forge to complete before researching Printing Press and Education. Its not a problem though as I'm still way ahead of the others. Gandhi has Theology but won't let it go.

Goals for the next turnset are to complete both quests, get hanging gardens, discover the last AI and of course I've got my eyes on 5 more city spots. I also want to build Apostolic Palace, mainly to stop the others getting their hands on it.

Research: Calendar, Music, Masonry (trade), Metal Casing, Monotheism (trade), Philosophy, Machinery, Compass, Optics, Paper, Feudalism, Guilds, Banking (not finished)

Great People: Prophet -Built Confucian Shrine, Artist (from Music) - Golden Age, Scientist - Academy in Persepolis, Prophet - Waiting for next Golden Age

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/88650/MLG2_AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave

Top Bottom