Bowling for Columbine

I was wrong Mr. President. You are not a sadist. Rather you are a suffering from some form of neurotic compulsive disorder where you absolutely have to have the the final word.
Yeah, your probably right. But when you look at the wider world having a form of neurotic compulsive disorder isn't really that bad.
He hasn't changed in months.
That's not true, I changed yesterday. I even had a shower.

I have yet to meet any solider who was ever addressed as Mr. President, If I ever find out where you live, remind me I owe you a goat for all the well timed humour you bring into a normally bleak, angry, loud and bizzare forum! But back on topic, Michael Moore is not the Pat Buchanan of the left but umm...uhh....hmm....you know what? I can't think of any funny Republican authors and directors! But I'm sure young sharpe will give us a link to one! Then again I hardly ever see sharpe type a post not pertaining to politcs, hmmm... maybe he's a robot! If he was we could back a sitcom about this forum!

I'm 10 days older than you are, HotDog. Calling me "young" is kind of...misleading, to say the least.

Second, what does being an author or director matter to politics? Between Moore's flimsy rhetoric and the actual character displayed by people like George Bush, some liberals still wonder why they had lost.

I know you're older but compared to everybody else we're not that old. Being an author and/or director has nothing to do what I was talking about the subject of humour, there are not manhy right wing humourists. George Bush's character has nothing to do with what I stated before. But I digress....what exactly you mean by liberals having 'lost'? If you mean by the US elections I highly doubt the entire planet is completely and utterly dicated by US politcs

Originally posted by HotDog Fish
Being an author and/or director has nothing to do what I was talking about the subject of humour, there are not manhy right wing humourists.

How about Paul Shanklin? He writes and sings song parodies for Rush Limbaugh. He's got a few albums out.

....what exactly you mean by liberals having 'lost'? If you mean by the US elections I highly doubt the entire planet is completely and utterly dicated by US politcs

Sorry, but the U.S. basically does dominate world politics, at least in the international sector.

Sorry, but the U.S. basically does dominate world politics, at least in the international sector.
:lol: I'm not laughing at the idea of the sentence but the way you have constructed it. I hope you intended it that way otherwise this could be called an insult.

It isn't intended as anything of the sort. Fact is, if the Egyptians don't like something, nobody really cares, except for some of the Egyptians. When the U.S. does something, everyone pays attention.

Originally posted by rmsharpe
It isn't intended as anything of the sort. Fact is, if the Egyptians don't like something, nobody really cares, except for some of the Egyptians. When the U.S. does something, everyone pays attention.

I'm going to be a little facetious here, but right now anyway, replace "the U.S." with "Iraq" in that last sentence (or "Israel" for that matter), and the sentence would still be true, wouldn't it? ;)

But as far as DOMESTIC politics goes, each country still goes about its business as it will, and while leftism is waning in the US (but is far from dead), it isn't necessarily in a lot of other places. And Moore's latest anti-gun babbling (no, I haven't seen the movie, I've heard about it from one of my leftist friends, but I have no interest in seeing it because I've heard all the arguments a thousand times) IS a DOMESTIC issue.

I'm going to be a little facetious here, but right now anyway, replace "the U.S." with "Iraq" in that last sentence (or "Israel" for that matter), and the sentence would still be true, wouldn't it?
It would also work if you replaced "the US" with "giant radioactive killer monkey."

Originally posted by MrPresident

It would also work if you replaced "the US" with "giant radioactive killer monkey."

:rotfl:

Bowling for Columbine just (was not just that second but you get the idea) broke the record for highest opening week for a documentary in the UK taking £157,898 at the box office. This places it at number 10 in the UK film chart. And is even more impressive when you see that it only shown on 28 screens nationwide compared with number 9 (My Big Fat Greek Wedding) which was shown on 219 screens. It just goes to show you how much we Brits like a good old America-bashing film.

I saw one of those fluff "People in the News" pieces on Michael Moore a couple of weeks ago. The best part was when his book "Stupid White Men" wasn't going to be released after 9/11, so he went on a book reading tour and a bunch of librarians started writing email to the publisher demanding the book be released. He got a call from the publisher saying, "Ok, what did you do to piss off the librarians??"

So remember - don't piss off the librarians!

(spoken from someone who's married to one)

I saw 'Bowling for Columbine' several weeks ago. Moore makes some good points, but he gets confused as to what he is arguing.

I was horrified/amused at the american attitude towards guns. As a Canadian, I had no idea. Buying a gun at the bank? WTF?! And why exactly do you need to be able to buy assault weapons? And his analysis of America as a culture of fear was quite accurate, in my opinion.

But there are numerous inconsistencies and hypocricies. For example, Moore condemns the American 'culture of fear' - but he makes a movie about how we should all be afraid of guns. More than a few of his facts are twisted. He makes Canada seem like a very peaceful place, with no gun murders. It's not quite like that. We've had multiple shootings and gun murders just here in Edmonton this year, and every year past. The Ontario 'ghetto' he chose was a farce - maybe he should try walking down east hastings street in Vancouver. He also doesn't mention the Taber, Alberta high school shooting. His cartoon history of america is not exactly balanced, though I didn't notice anything actually incorrect. His slideshow of facts (Afghanistan, etc...) is an interesting but warped interpretation of those 'facts' on occasion. Finally, his arguments re: guns and poverty are confused. He states that America's gun murder problem is not caused by poverty, since Canada also has poverty and guns - but then spends the last half of the movie showing how poverty in fact does cause gun violence.

I saw it tonight. Very funny. He does make some good points but I would have to agree with Sparrowhawk that his arguments are kind of confused. Lastly I loved his interview with Charlton Heston! :D

I bought Michael Moore's book "Stupid White Men".

It is a mixed breakfast; some bits entertaining and
providing insight; other bits stressing his ignorance
and his self importance.

He'd write much better if he put his ego on hold.

Top Bottom