[FfH II Art Team Blog]

seZ one question for you guys, are you limited to the animations already programmed into the game or can you make new ones? For things like archers I think re-using an animation is fine, but I've noticed in the past that some of the models look a little funny in combat because they're using pre-existing animations.

Not complaining just curious, I think the work you guys do is amazing

seZ one question for you guys, are you limited to the animations already programmed into the game or can you make new ones? For things like archers I think re-using an animation is fine, but I've noticed in the past that some of the models look a little funny in combat because they're using pre-existing animations.

Not complaining just curious, I think the work you guys do is amazing

the point is :) creating new animations takes ages, because no one of us has the experience in it. so, if we get new animations, it comes from Ploeperpengel, who is not that experienced either (means, he is not fast, but what he does is amazing, he did the animations for Mulcarn in age of ice and for Hyborem in FfH II). He is very busy with his life and with other projects, so new animtions are really only on the to do list if it is really really needed ;) otherwise we try to make the units look as good as possibe with the animations shipped with civ4, warlords and bey.t.sword.
Not all units are from me (so, most are :p) , but normally i invest some time to make them look at least acceptable ;)

this is also the reason, why our units are somewhat limited in the design, we cant really do what we want to (would be awesome to have all sorts of flying capes while fighting or tentacles or spells or whatever not ;) ) and thus have to see if the weapon is implementale with animation or stuff like that.
furthermore units like dwarves or elves or ogres have to be improvised, using pre existing rigs (set of bones, the skeleton which is actually controlled by animation) and thus we cant just make the legs shorter or something. we have to use tricks and whatever not ;)

They look more then acceptable, they look great! I just think being able to design custom animations for the models would make them a lot more dynamic and would probably open up more options for you artistically. Personally I have always thought Hyborem is the best model in FFH bar none because of both the combination of amazing modeling sound effects and animation. Maybe you guys should look into adding someone who can do that kind of thing on a more regular basis? Obviously with shadow coming out right now its probably not a priority for you guys but its something to think about down the road, if you're going to take the time to custom model every unit in the game you might as well make them look even cooler by giving them their own animations!

Either way the game is amazing and so is the art, I just wish my comp was better so I could turn all the settings all the way up =*(

hey sez weres the freaks .5 arm gone ... i know there ment to be tortured .. but come on, ripping the lads stunty arm off is a bit much!

seZereth said:
the point is creating new animations takes ages, because no one of us has the experience in it.
I have some experience with animating, creating units for Civ3. My program of choice however was Poser. So my question is, would it be possible for me to create animations for the models and then export them in a format that'd be compatible for you?

If not, no worries. I'm still a huge fan of all the work you guys have put into FFH. It's what finally brought me over from Civ3.

first of all, the .5 arm is still there, the screenies are not the best to show the arm and not the best to show the swinging chain in action ;) but had to be fast :)
I have some experience with animating, creating units for Civ3. My program of choice however was Poser. So my question is, would it be possible for me to create animations for the models and then export them in a format that'd be compatible for you?

If not, no worries. I'm still a huge fan of all the work you guys have put into FFH. It's what finally brought me over from Civ3.

hehe, poser is not compatible. 3dsmax would be necessary :(

you guys are completely right, animating would make the units even better and stuff. but even firaxis has modeller and animator jobs, so completing a unit (from around 200) with custom model, custom texture and custom animation would add around 1/3 to 1/2 more to the time necessary. so doing it by ourself is out of question. i am looking for someone who can do it and enjoys it, animating i mean. but someone like that is hard to find ;)

Hyborem is the bloodthirster model ripped from dawn of war (not my idea :p), so we can only be proud about the sounds and animation ;) (i am not a fan of using graphics from copyrighted sources!).

So. hopefully we find someone who can animate with 3dsmax and then we might be able to add another level of greatness to FfH ;)

until then we have to use hat firaxis provided us with (which they could have made much much easier from the beginning, but thats another point ;) ).

so bare with us and enjoy what we can do in our little free time (next to living and studying) ;)

Dont forget to take part in the "Survey about which units need new art most urgently :]"
and the "Survey about which unit graphic do you like best"

small update 14.12.o7

Shadow is almost here, not only Sidar and Svartalfar and Malakim got new exciting art, but also the Balseraphs will show up with some new designs. here I present you the Freak, tortured, whipped, mutated, still the highlight of a Balseraph Arena fight. He uses a Chain with a Hook to do with his opponents what has been done to him by his masters and nature.

very small update 15.11.o7

modelled a female character and hand painted her to give a first sketch of svartalfar units. this will be the base for several female units. p.s. her hairs will sway in the wind ;]

small update 3o.1o.o7

Here is the Balseraph puppeteer...
hope you like him. he has no weapon and uses scout animation

small update 13.o9.o7

I know, I know, has been a long time, but finally found some freetime again, Satyr is finished and works in game, another reason to test version 0.24 :]

small update 19.o8.o7

Ok, again i was very busy with life and such. So, here is my progress on the promised Bannor Warrior. the concept here was to make him look as organized and militarized as possible for almost stone age technology :] So, he wears a thick armor of leather over fur. He is the first in a series of some early units. I consider the texture and the model done (note: i adjusted the hair after taking the screenshot and consider no transparency working). Now he needs to be rigged, otherwise he will not animate. well it will take some time, but someone has to do it... and i will see when i have time to do so... Overall 700 triangles and one texture, still quiet good :]

small update 10.o8.o7

After my 2 weeks break I can finally unleash the first Horseman... Buboes. This Model, including the Horse has been created completely from scratch. I packed a lot of details into his textures, especially the Sword is worth a close look :) Overall he uses 1468 Triangles and 1138 Vertices (for comparison: the warlords "mounted mongol swordsman" uses 1200t and 1000v) and he is rigged to the mongol´s animation. So, he does not have any special effects, but is performance wise very economically ;]

leave me some comments :]

small update 12.o7.o7

the rider is basically finished, he will get a special sword and a new Horse... sorry for taking so long guys, but these days are busy and i cant work on the units as much as i want to :/
the screenshot uses no rendering, there is no shadow by an outside light source, this is blender, fully lit... all the shadows are on the texture...

leave me some comments :]

small update o6.o7.o7
On this screenshot you can see the new Sheaim Horseman. He has two animal Skulls on his shoulders and an evil hairdress ;]

Because of Problems with my import/export scripts, I had to puppet master him, which is why I didnt change the Horses mesh (only a quick texture change). But he looks fine using the Keshik animation.
Look forward to version 0.23 including now 4 new Sheaim grafiks :]
My next project also involves number 4 and horseman... something that has waited for too long, considering it to be a key element in Fire. I dont expect to finish 100% by friday the 13th, but I will do my best.

small update o2.o7.o7
Sheaim Archer, the thing on his head and back is supposed to resemble a snakes skeleton ;]

most work went into making him compatible with Archer animations (the most complicated ones in game)

small update 18.o6.o7

here is the Sheaim Scout. again, 100% my creation. I will continue with creating tier2... a Sheaim Archer, Horseman and Hunter, after that i will go back to something else... Perhaps Elohim?
And I hope after t2 the difference between Sheaim and Doviello will be clearer (though grey fox pointed it already out really well)

small update 12.o6.o7
just a very small thing, a first look at the sheaim warrior:

more Info to come, when I finished the scout and the bowman
small update o6.o6.o7
I finished the new look for the Nightmare

this has nothing to do with the next contest, I still need to finish 2 or 3 more Models until I can start working on the Contest stuff, but if you like you can try to do something along the lines of my nightmare picture above, choosing a unit from pedia and arranging some parts of screenshots to describe the unit (think of showing new players some art and let them read some mechanic examples connected to the unit). Then simply write the FfH version you took the description out somewhere on the picture and then post it here. If its good, we can set it up at the ffh wiki.

News Update 30.o5.o7
Prepare for the next contest
I will try to realize an idea and if it shows to be exciting and reproduceable with gimp, I will set it up for a competiton and the best artists will for sure get a place at the homepage.
And the winner may even decide what (and how) we create next, artwise that is. Or if he wants he can even request his alter ego (like a model with his face or whatever) being implemented in the mod in form of a unit (or respectively face of a Unit).
We will think of something motivating ;]

In the meantime, take a cam with you if you go for a walk through the woods or countryside.
And make sure to download gimp and get familiar with its tools ;]
And post comments about a reasonable prize you would like to earn for your best submission.
I could try to create something like a small tutorial for the next competition if people want it (just to show you that you can achieve great stuff with small effort)

News Update 25.o5.o7
I have set up a first competition involving the new Elohim units.
See this as a beta and please make sure to contribute in any form (pics or comments) if you generally support ideas like this and want to see more (improved) competitins in the future

to enter flying camera mode:

go to your civ4 directory
then open the _civ4config.ini
then use the find button looking for "camera" or scroll down manually until you found "allow camera flying"
set AllowFlying= from 0 to 1
Then ingame, when you ant to enter or leave the flying camera mode press Alt+Ctrl+F simultaniously

older work
Meshabber

-Manes

-Warchief

-Stoneskin ogre

OGRE

The thread is supposed to give everyone the chance to have a look at the creation process of visual content for FfH and to feedback (and motivate/ criticize) us.
It is open for everyone to comment on the Art design stuff, but I would like you to report pink stuff and floating items not here, but in the cosmetic issues thread, thank you and have fun

I created a new ancient Forest graphic, going more into fangorn direction :)

but I am not sure if it is better gameplay wise. thats why I need you!

Because as soon as we modify something, we don´t get it to act like a real forest :( (no height adaption, no roadcut, no animation, no different meshes available). so, please let me know how you like it, what it needs to be better.

simply unzip the following file into your Fall from Heaven II mod folder (e.g.: C:/games/civ4/BtS/mods/fall from Heaven II/):http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/83044/Ancient_forest_1.zip

sorry for low res screenshots (i hate those jpgs!):

Spoiler :
thanks guys for all your interest!

If you want to support us, please vote for us at:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/8602/fall-from-heaven-ii

this time, no registration or anything, it just counts how many people wanted to say "thanks" to us.

If questions arise, have a look at this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=253619

thanks guys for your support!!!!!!!

(by voting for us and by bumping this thread, you can make us work harder )

Awesome, 'nuff said.

Also, I'm picking up vibes from you that I should go to MDB, although maybe I'm just imagining it ;)

Awesome, 'nuff said.

Also, I'm picking up vibes from you that I should go to MDB, although maybe I'm just imagining it ;)

well :) deadline is near ;) only 14 days, otherwise i wouldnt bother ;)

I created a new ancient Forest graphic, going more into fangorn direction :)
Wow! That looks awesome! I don't care how it affects game-play - I'm using it! :)

Nice! I like the direction your going with those Forests. Its very nice to see the tree trunks and all that diversity. And it looks like you can look deep within the forests. Thats very nice! But they are quite dark for my tastes. Yet I do like the Fanghorn theme.

Is it possible to add another forest set? Then evil civs following FOL could have the dark and dangerous Fanghorn Forests, while the good and neutral FOL'rs could have the light and mystical Ancient Forests? It would make an interesting contrast between the Svartalfar and the Ljosalfar.

one thing about the ancient forest is that it doesn't seem like it should need roadcuts, seeing as it is just a dense overgrown mesh. Could extending the trunks below the ground accomidate for the height difference?

I'm not a fan of the new Yggdrasil graphics (not that I liked the old ones) because the foliage is definitely too dark. When juxtaposed with the current ancient forests, it looks jet black. I think the Yggdrasil's leaves should be among the brightest.

The new Ancient forest proposal looks nice, but I'm still hoping that you can get multiple types of Ancient forests to work. the Fanghorn style seems like ti should probably be most common, but I would also like to see some of Lothloriens's Mallyrn, and would love to see some forests that cycle through the various seasons. If its possible for vanilla to have multiple forests types, then multiple ancient forests should be doable too, right?

(This is more of a mechanic issue than a graphical one, but the Fanghorn-type forests also make me think that it would be appropriate for jungles to advance to turn into this dark-ancient forest type too. I would also like to se unowned forsts/jungles slowly turn ancient, and would like BtS's forests preserve brought back (requiring Hidden Paths instead of Biology) with the new ability to increase the rate at which forests turn ancient. )

I still think that new forests should be lighter, probably using the current Ancient Forest color/texture.

...The new Ancient forest proposal looks nice, but I'm still hoping that you can get multiple types of Ancient forests to work. the Fanghorn style seems like ti should probably be most common, but I would also like to see some of Lothloriens's Mallyrn, and would love to see some forests that cycle through the various seasons. If its possible for vanilla to have multiple forests types, then multiple ancient forests should be doable too, right?...

I would love it. and i tried around. i couldnt get it to work. maybe one day, meaybe never because our import/export scripts will not work with it. or the stuff is controlled by the graphicsengine itself, no idea, but it doesnt work like a normal forest thats for sure.

:O New ancient forests!!! I hate the currenty ones with a passion lol these are so much better. Did you say you couldn't get them to adapt to terrains etc like normal forests do?

Also, do you know if theirs gonna be any unique arcane line art any time soon? I think the Lurchip are the most desperate, why would their mages be humans? It makes no sense lol.

Top Bottom