Wheel of Time global map (huge C3C)

CamJH

Uncle Cam
This is a map based on the Wheel of Time series written by Robert Jordan. It is a map of the entire globe, including: the Wetlands, the Aiel Waste, the Sea Folk Isles, Shara, the Land of Madmen, and the Realm of the Seanchan.
Enjoy!

_____
* This map was created for the Wheel of Time Mod that is currently under construction. If you would like to help out, offer up some ideas, or just check out the progress, check out the following thread.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=87138

Attachments

• WoT Globe.zip
    29.8 KB · Views: 8,104
preview of terrain:

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 15,615
This looks pretty sweet. How is the mod coming lately?

This map is going to be so fun to work with! This thursday is my day off for the week. I'm planning on intergrating the map into the MOD and working on some more stuff. Since I cleared all the stock units from the game, it's not playable now. I'm going to be adding the units this thursday... I may have to go back to stock units for most thing... I have found very very few units around, and no one is very forth coming on where they're hiding, or is willing to make them.:( Sure, there's 10,000 helicopters that no one uses, but where's my Shienarian Lancer?! Anyway, chances are units will be a mixture of old graphics with new names and stats if a don't find a unit builder who likes WoT.

you’ll notice…
some of the first things you’ll probably notice is that the names for Shara's cities have kept their original Arabic names (i.e.: Mecca, Damascus, etc.). this is because i could not find names for their cities in all the materials i have, and i figured it was better than leaving them blank. by the time the mod comes out, i'm sure we'll have come up with something. if you have suggestions feel free to post them here or at the other thread. also, there are supposed to be 6 cities along the Cliffs of Dawn and i have only placed 3. i could only fit 3 in that amount of space provided on the map, and i figure they are plenty in order to protect that pass into their land.

also, there are two separate aiel civs: regular and Shaido. for now i've given Rhuidean to the "regular" aiel as their capital, and have given the Shaido a city/starting point labled Shaido (actually mispelled as "Shiado," but that will be fixed or possibly changed alltogether for the mod).

finally, even though this is a "huge" map, you'll notice playing as any of the randland civilizations doesn't by any means mean that you are leagues away from your allies and enemies. despite being a huge map, it still maintains an intimate feel. :) (on a side note, i would encourage either disabling settlers or modifying them until later in the game. this will keep your gameplay more accurate to the books & force you to plan out a different strategy than you might normally)

i used the BMPtoBIC program in the creation of this map in order to make it is accurate as possible, and used "The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time" + the novels for all the data. hope you like it. let me know what you think.

thanks, :D
CamJH

Found some info for you while I was looking for Maps of the aiel waste...

Shara is known to have five walled seaports along the southern shore, in which all foreign seaborne trading is done. Only a few maps showing the Shara shoreline exist, and many are incomplete, for simply coming within sight of the eastern coast brings a fierce and often deadly response from the natives. The five walled ports in the south are the only allowed landfall for foreign vessels, and the Sea Folk (at least) are wise enough to avoid the chance of shipwreck anywhere else along that coastline.

Also in Chapter sixteen they show a map of Shara with 5 diamonds on the bottom, and they're labeled "safe Ports". That's the only way to access their lands it seems. How can we put this in? Create 5 names that are Randlandish? I haven't found any evidence of a name, just these refrences.

Kept reading and saw this under Chapter sixteen as well:
With the Ocean on two sides and mountains, cliffs, and a chasm on the other two, Shara has had little difficulty in limiting foreigners' access. All outsider trade is strictly confined to the six specially designated trading towns scattered along the Cliffs of Dawn and the five trading ports on the southern coast.

So they have 11 cities which can be used... compared to the other civs, that's quiet a few. We need to limit them dramaticly. I'll try and see if I can edit them to hinder their progress a bit so they don't become the only logical choice to play.

Also, was thinking of making it so no unit can pass over mountains, and we can put some passes through the Waste, and six passes into Shara... the ones in Shara should have cities already making them choke points...
Should probably make their units very weak on attack, but high on defense...

One comment on the Huge Map... I think Randland may be a tight fit when I finish with all the city names I have.;) If you're around this weds after 3pm pac time, or thursday, I'm going to be working on the MOD. We can try and get some ideas linked together. The map is already imported into the mod.;)

This map is very very accurate Cam. I'm very impressed.

alerum68 said:
This map is very very accurate Cam. I'm very impressed.

Thanks alerum... I try. ;)

I found the same info, so the 5 cities along the southern coast are the spots identified on the map as the 5 safe ports. As for the 11 cities, I only gave them 8. I fit 3 cities in along the Cliffs of Dawn, but placing 6 there would have made them way too cramped. We could put another row of 3 behind the 3 cities already located on the map, but since they are meant to be trading towns I didn't think that would portray them accurately.

As for making all mountains impassable, I don't think that'll work (especially with Seanchan since some of their cities are located on opposite sides of mountain ranges). Plus that would mean that Shadowspawn couldn't invade into Randland, and vice versa, noone could invade the Blight. What I would suggest is altering the mountains along "The Great Rift" into landmark mountains and then setting them up as impassable. Then that leaves the rest of the mountains open for transport and creates a cokepoint along the Cliffs of Dawn as the only passable land access into Shara. Sound good?

_____
I'm goint to attatch a map I have of Shara so everyone else can see what we're talking about.

Attachments

• map-shara.JPG
    map-shara.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 6,861
I think we should give them (Shara) a fascist (xenophobic) style of government, since they are so secretive and closed off towards outsiders. And since they kill off their ruler every 7 years, we could maybe give them a tech in the tree or a wonder that produces a "ruler" unit every 7 years that they can sacrifice. Just an idea.

I know this really belongs in the WoT Mod thread, but I just posted it here since we're discussing it.

WHile we're discussing it, you could make mountains impassible by wheeled units and then make every thing wheeled except trollocs and so on so they can cross the mountains. As far as Seanchan not being able to croos the mountains, that shouldn't be a problem really, as they would have to develop a navy and sail their settlers around. As well as fight off barbarians, which is what they did there anyway till the conquered the whole area and then sailed to Randland. Right? Would make it a challenge and slow the growth of Seanchan a bit early on.

those are some great ideas tj. i would suggest though that aiel also are not set up as wheeled units. they'd have to be able to cross the mountains, or else they'd never leave the waste at all... i don't think aiel would/should hop on a ship to enter randland. plus actually stationing barbarian camps IN the mountains would mean that they are an everlasting threat since normal units would not be able to enter the mountains to destroy them (using trollocs as both barbarian units as well as for the shadowspawn civ).

Hey this looks like nice work. Just wondering, the places appart from just the main area (the one that is just the whole map from the first few books), do they come into it more later on in the series (ive only read the first 3 books), like in depth enough to make maps? or is a lot of this just guese work...Its obviose you found a map of the aiel but what about that entire continent off to the west?

It comes from a book the Robert Jordan & Teresa Patterson wrote called "The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time." Most of it only barely describes the lands outside of where the books take place, but gives enough info to work on. The books themselves...I won't tell you, but the book I mentioned above was written right after The Crown of Swords I believe and therefore would be a spoiler if you looked at it before finishing that book. I'll just say that there is some interaction with other land eventually. You'll have to read the books for details. :coffee:

like tjedge1 mentioned, "the world of robert jordan's the wheel of time" was a major source in creating this map. it gives info about each nation chapter by chapter and section by section. less exhilirating than the novels, but oh so helpful with things like this. it basically took all the guess work out of it. it also comes with maps of all the different continents, like the "entire continent off to the west (Seanchan)." :)

Hope this was helpful, and hope you enjoy the map... we'll try not to give too much away for you. ;)

Thanks :) Im hopeing to get through them pretty quick. I only started eye of the world at christmas and have the 4th one sittin on my shelf waiting to be read. Hopefully soonish i will be uptodate and can talk about it without fear of having them runed. Just need to finnish the book i reading atm...(Ash-A Secret History, anyone read it? its so very long)
anyway once again, looks like great work! keep it comming:)

Ronbo said:
Could you save this in a format that will work with PTW? Thanks. :confused:

It was created in Conquest, not Civ3. I'll take a look for you, but I don't think it would work. Would be something along the lines of going from WindowsXP to Windows 3.11.... well, maybe Win98.;) (At least I'm not talking abotu DOS 5.0, so be nice)

I though you might have known of a tool that helped with this.

If you cant find a way I will probably take what you have done and edit my own in PTW when I have the time.

Thanks.

well its been 4 years and i know nothing about mod creation but what ive read about others doing.

but i so want to play this.

... a WoT mod...

does anyone else still care...?:sad:

Top Bottom