Leaders: How to play them and how to play against them!

Oh, all three of the leaders are great, at least on Monarch, from "Mr. Stonehenge" Lincoln to "building discount mania" Roosevelt to "Huge Cities of Doooom" Washington, they've got it all (well, except uniques that are actually usable in practice... but then, often that happens even with the more usable uniques, unless you restart for resources, etc.).

Roosevelt has my favourite traits in the game... though I'll settle for FIN in place of ORG in exchange for early and kickass uniques.
Lincoln as a dedicated SE leader is overshadowed by Peter from my experience, possibly also by Frederick... although all 3 are good and become awesome in the late game.
Can't say I'm excited about Washington at all.

Updated the leaders to discuss Roosevelt.

Question here: I got a message saying the size of a post cannot exceed 30,000 characters! :eek: I was thinking of posting each leader as a separate post, then link them from the opening Post rather than have them all on the first page. MEans I have to link a certain post which I know can be done but I don't know how :dunno:

Any suggestions????

Updated the leaders to discuss Roosevelt.

Question here: I got a message saying the size of a post cannot exceed 30,000 characters! :eek: I was thinking of posting each leader as a separate post, then link them from the opening Post rather than have them all on the first page. MEans I have to link a certain post which I know can be done but I don't know how :dunno:

Any suggestions????

Just post the guide, then click the number on the far right top of the post. Should be like #68 or something similar. This'll change the url at the top of the page to the url of the post.

My Speal on GW

Washington (Charismatic and Expansive ), starts with Fishing and Agriculture
Unique Unit : Navy Seals (Marines with an extra first strike and start with March), A great late game amphibious Assault unit.
Unique Building : Mall (Supermarket that gives +20% gold)
Mad's Opinion: Fast early city growth and the game BEST late game War-Monger.

Mad's unsuccessful Chivalrous Washington: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=250780
How to play with: (Fast early city Growth with Military Expansion)
Ah, Washington! My favorite real life and CIV leader! He starts with 2 great food techs with the ability to build an early worker 25% faster (if you have 4 hammers to work!) , SO if you have an early grain get a workers, seafood then a workboat. Your goal is to increase you city size as much as possible as early as possible with the extra happiness (+2 with a monument) and +2 health! Fast graneries help get this done (yes Washington loves the whip also) so target the wheel and pottery earlier than later. Once you have an early large population use the whip to rush buildings and get a strong early army for military expansion, just make sure you have commerce (seashores or cottages) to keep your troops payed for. Mid-game GW sort of stalls, but late game military is where he shines. Charismatic means all coastal cities get 2 promotion destroyers/subs/battleships with a drydocks (one of the less discussed Charismatic advantages as the drydocks gives +4 XP to ships) and 3 promotions of you dropped West Point into a coastal city (West Point benefits land AND Navy units). Airports work the same way with your airforce, 2 free promotions per airport! Also if you get the Pentagon with perhaps Theocracy and some settled Great Generals you can have massive amounts of Navy Seals (start with amphibious and March, plus 3 free ones) waiting to wreck havoc on enemy coastal cities. AN excellent leader to play Continent or Hemisphere maps providing you can have patience to let the game go that long, but it’s certainly fun as hell!

What to expect from AI Washington (favorite civic is Free Speech): Washington is best described as a “Cold Fish”. HE needs to be treated with care to foster good relations with. He rarely asks for anything, so you cannot get anywhere there, but if he does and you refuse he has a high probability to declare war. His favorite civic comes late and most of the time he does not even adopt it. He is soso on religion and opts for Free Religion most of the time. HE almost never can be bribed into war, and rarely declares himself. He builds a pretty decent army and is not as easy a target as the other American leaders, so be prepared to see s stiff defense if you attack him. I have also seen him too often drop from friendly to pleased. My suggestion is to just stay on talking terms and forget getting him to friendly, or take him out early with more military than you initially would think.

Roosevelt (Industrious and Organized ), starts with Fishing and Agriculture
Unique Unit : Navy Seals (Marines with an extra first strike and start with March), A great late game amphibious Assault unit.
Unique Building : Mall (Supermarket that gives +20% gold)
Mad's Opinion: Master of the Trade Route economy and a strong late Military game.
Mad's Successful FDR’s Dream: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=279023

How to play with: (Beeline the Great Lighthouse and aggressively expand coastal cities)
I do not like to state “Get this Wonder” for any leader but Roosevelt is an exception here, GET THE GREAT LIGHTHOUSE! Seriously, you cannot find a leader more suited to obtaining this wonder. He starts with fishing which is one tech from sailing; the lighthouse is half priced from the ORG trait; and the IND trait speeds up production for a resourceless wonder! Then spam coastal cities, the more the better as his ORG trait keeps down costs. If possible also target the mysticism/meditation/priesthood path for the Oracle and Metal Casting slingshot to nail the Colossus! Early tech should be military (AH, BW, arch) until you can defend yourself, then sailing/writing. He is one of the few leaders you can delay the wheel and Pottery IF you start on a coast! Mid-game his traits are pretty stronge (fast Forges and courthouses) and late game even better because of cheap Factories and the UB (Mall) . Techpath later should go electricity/refridgeration/superconductors to get the UB and more science (The AIs ignore this path). War is an option for him at anytime although he has no great military advantages until the industrial era where the UU comes into play and the UB pays for mush of the costs. Finally, Corporations are a big boost the FDR because of the Mall and ORG trait, one of the few leaders that can easily support a VERY large empire using Corps rather than State Property.

What to expect from AI Roosevelt (favorite civic is Mercantilism): A much weaker leader in the AI hands compared with his potential in the human hands. Generally one of the friendlier leaders, it takes a lot to get him to attack. He has an unpopular favorite civic and is not a big fan of shared religions (he adopts Free Religion a lot) but is surprisingly easy to get along with. Offer him early open borders, toss him a favorable trade, and you have a good Allie there! However, he is no pacifist and will declare war so do not ignore him. Still, if you know what you are doing he’s an easy leader to get around.

Hyuna Capac (Industrious and Financial), starts with agriculture and mysticism
Unique Unit : Quechua (warrior with +100% versus archers, starts with combat I), The best at early rushing archer defended AIs FAST.
Unique Building : Terrace (granary +2 culture). For early culture wars especially against creative leaders.
Mad's Opinion: The Best there is!
Mad's Successful Three City Culture Challenge: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=273030

How to play with: (WonderSpam, Tech, Early military (defense and Agression), Religion, Culture)
The most powerful of the leaders in my opinion he can wonderspam, tech like a madman or seak a devastating early military game. The UU allows you to start planning to rush a foe from turn #1 yet allows excellent defense early so you can ignore archery, animal husbandry, and bronze working early on. He can found an early religion even at higher levels if the initial terrain is useful. Or you can follow the wheel/pottery line ASAP to cottage very early (preferred for floodplains!). He is also the best equipped Industrious leader to perform the metal casting slingshot from the Oracle allowing very early and fast forges for a very significant early production edge. The UB basically turns your leader into a creative leader, whip Terraces rather than Monuments for faster new city growth and faster border pops! There is little that you cannot do early with Hyuna, and once you Incan empire has been established, the financial and Industrious traits are excellent at building a strong empire over the ages.

What to expect from AI Hyuana Capac (favorite civic is Heritary Rule):
As you would expect, he is a wonderspammer and techer. He will aggressively pursue wonders yet stay ahead in tech. He is pretty trustworthy and generally easy to please via religion (although he is NOT a zealot) or the favored civic (HR). However, he is not timid and will declare war on you or help you (if friendly) in a war, and beware as he is a decent warrior. My experience with him is either rush him very early if he is nearby or befriend him as a trading partner if further away. He is a severe threat for a space race or culture victory, however he has a habit of limiting his empire size opening himself up to late game assaults.

Tokugawa (Protective and Aggressive), starts with fishing and the wheel
Unique Unit is the Samurai (maceman with 2 extra first strikes, starts with drill, but requires iron rather than copper or iron) A strong UU to bridge between Classical era warfare and gunpowder
Unique Building is the Shale Plant (a Coal Plant that does NOT require coal, +10% production). Essentially eliminates the need for coal and it's oppressive pollution although the IronWorks is diminished.
Mad's Opinion: The game's best Gunpowder Era War-Monger!
Mad's Failed Tokugawa the Isolationist: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=263705

How to play with: (Master Turtle, Master mid-late game Warlord)
The game’s best military leader post gunpowder, free combay I/Drill I/City Garrison I post muskets coupled with a powerful late game UB makes Toku an obvious choice for late game military action. The difficulty is getting him to that point considering his traits and UB have no economic advantage aside from the protective fast wall whipping trick, and fast castles for the extra trade route. Do not fret, Toku’s key to an economy is simple and standard beelining of early and classical economic techs. He starts with fishing and the wheel, thus he has a decent chance of working early commerce in seafood (if not, settle the second city near some) and can built some early trade routes. Thus I suggest teching agriculture and Pottery ASAP, then work on either mining/bronze or hunting/archery using combat I warriors for early defense. Avoid non-essential early rushes and wonders, be friendly (meaning DON’T act like the AI Tokugawa) with open borders, and tech those economy techs such as sailing, writing, currency, Code of Laws. Once established, Civil Service and Machinery open up Samurai and protective crossbows. At this point you may want to consider military expansion using middle Age units or wait until the gunpowder era. Assembly Line should be prioritized though for the powerful Infantry units and the UB.

What to expect from AI Tokugawa (Favorite civic mercantilism). One of the more predictable leaders, expect nothing but problems. Toku is an isolationist and he’s the most difficult to get open borders with, he rarely trade techs or resources, and usually makes a lot of demands that very poorly affect diplomatic settings if you refuse. Not to say he’s impossible to befriend, just difficult and he will likely be your only one. However, once befriended he is very loyal and NOT a backstabber (well, mainly because he hates someone more), and will establish a defensive pact pretty easily at pleased, but usually, it’s not worth the effort or sacrifice unless you plan to have no tech trading partners. HE can be an exceptional attack dog at pleased as he is easy to bribe, however refusing to go to battle with him can result in severe negative diplo points. He is a classic war-monger, building a lot of well promoted units however he is a very poor techer and will soon be behind in tech and have an outdated (yet still dangerous) military. If he is close to you expect to go to war with him although he is very difficult to rush, if he is far enough away you may be able to simply ignore him. He is not much of a threat to win unless he get’s A LOT of early land and has a monster empire.

Victoria (Imperialistic and Financial), starts with fishing and mining
Unique Unit : Redcoat (Riflemen with an extra +25% versus gunpowder), a soso unit although it greatly lessens the danger of the rifleman's natural counter, the grnader..
Unique Building : Stock exchange (bank with an extra +15% gold). Not glamorous but a VERY strong UB.
Mad's Opinion: A strong renasaince era leader, rather weak as the AI
Mad's successful Sea-Faring Victoria http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=247553

How to play her: (Rex leader, very strong middle and late game economy). Her starting techs are great if you have seafood, simply tech bronze working early for a potentially fast military start, otherwise take a food tech first. Victoria means early REXing as the financial trait usually pays for the fast early settlers you get out. Just make sure you get pottery and writing before the economy crashes, sailing helps too. I also found heading towards either a Cottage Economy and/or Trade Route Economy with Victoria work the best. While she can axe-rush, usually it's better to expand peacefully and quickly cut off the other leaders. With so many cities, it's fine to pursue wonders of your choice (although be aware she has NO discounted buildings) and I often prefer Stonhenge, the Great Lighthouse, and the Colossus with her. Her UU can be strong if you going against other rifles, however Victoria's power is a significant tech edge so it's more unlikely than not that your either facing older units with redcoats or you have infantry against rifles. Once you drop alot of Stock Exchanges and your cottages have matured, Victoria is in a very strong position. Also, consider founding a few Corps with her UB rather than State Poperty and of course a shrined religion or 2 never hurts! Finally, if you manage peace until chemistry/astronomy, consider using alot of privateers as her imperialistic trait will certainly help you pop a Great General or 2 to help get some better promoted redcoats.

What to expect from AI Victoria (Favorite civic Representation). Generally, Victoria is a peaceful although not trustworthy leader. Getting a common religion with her and open borders will usually keep he pleased, but don't ever count on her. She can and will backstab, and she will initate wars although not that frequently. She is a threat for a SpaceShip race win so either plan to eliminate her or make sure you beat her to it. She is also a rather ineffective War-Monger thus I have rarely had problems taking her out, which is something alwasy to consider as she can be rather stingy in releasing techs for trade.

Asoka (Spiritual and Organised), starts with Mining and mysticism
Unique Unit : Fast Worker (worker with 3 movement), The game's only UU that Is just as valuable from beginning to end, considered by some to be the best in the game.
Unique Building :Mausaleum (Jail + happiness). One of the weaker UB's in the game as it comes fairly late.
Mad's Opinion: The unsuspecting War-Monger!
Mad's Successful Doomsday Machine: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=261546

How to play with: (Religious leader, large sprawling empires, Early Rusher)
Asoka is one of the more versatile leaders. His traits make for an excellent war-Mongers game, allowing a large empire to be well payed for due to organized and Sipiritual allows alot of civic manipulation: all the while the fast worker allows faster construction of roads/mrovements to bring that new city on-line. He also starts with Mining, so early Bronze Working, no anarchy revolt to slavery can lead to a great axe-rusher. Mysticism means he can nab the Hindu or Buddhist holy city but this is sometimes difficult as he has no supporting food techs early. Also beelining a later religion (Confuscianism or Christianity) may benefit him more allowing him to abuse civics (Caste/Slavery, Theocracy/Organised Religion, Vassalage/Bureacracy), as well as setting up the base for a potential religious game and a shrined religion for an even stronger economy. You need not worry about being a War-Monger, Asoka is well equipped to expand very peacefully, using the Spiritual trait to swap civics/religion for a strong diplomatic game. He can support a large empire making a space race win likely if the military route did not pan out.

What to expect from AI Asoka (favorite civic is Free Religion):
He is generally easy to get along with and rarely initiates fights, however he is no pushover, and will put up an average fight. Asoka is also not a forgiving leader and will come at you again later for retribution. The agressive AIs also seam to have a preference to beat up on him, so if you are to befriend him consider you'll end up warring against other AIs. He techs well but usually can be overcome in tech before he launches a spaceship. His favorite civic (Free Religion) is a nice boost to yourself if trying for diplo-points while teching at the maximum beaker output, however you only have one route for building a strong alliance, a shared religion or favorite civic but not both. Overall, he's probably good to rush out of the game early or keep arround as a trading partner.

Genghis Khan (Imperialistic and Agressive), Starts with Hunting and Wheel
Unique Unit : Keshik (Horse Archer with miovement immune to terrain). Maybe not so obvious but a great unit for a fast army and the ultimate pillaging unit.
Unique Building : Ger (Stable that gives +4 XP to mounted units) A UB that directly helps the UU.
Mad's Opinion: The Games best pure war-monger
Mad's Successful The Mighty Kahn: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=244372

How to play with: (War-Mongering, early espionage)
Honestly no other way to play him, at least early on. You must get a large early empire to have overwhelming size to defeat the other AIs. His traits and UB leads to very highly promoted units right out of the gate as he get's a bonus to two classes of units, melee/gunpowder (Agressive) and Mounted units (GER). Add the fact that Genghis is also Imperialistic for faster settlers and faster Great Generals and you have one monster leader. His starting techs open up either archery or Animal Husbandry from the start, the wheel assures he can hookup and potentially build chariots fast. Agriculture and pottery are also early techs as Genghis has NO economy techs, thus either coattaging or an early SE are required. Once you have archers/horses you should move to mining/Bronze Working/Iron Working for the Melee units. Also, setting up several cities early from Imperialism is a wise idea if you can do it peacefully, until you lay some preliminary cottages down or tech writing for libraries (use the whip for them, don't take valuable Mongolian City time away from military). Once you initiate war, try and take shrined holy cities ASAP even from stronger leaders as Khan needs the gold alot and there is noone he cannot take out early. Alternatively Khan is well suited to a pillage economy using the fast Keshiks, which are great on offense but also to quickly return to a defensive stack before a counter attack. Strive to get at least 2-3 Great Generals as early as possible, one for a medic III attached general, 1-2 settled in a city, and one for the leadership promotion to get more Great General faster by doubling experience points. Try to send out 9 XP Keshiks (Barracks/Stable/1 settled GG or theocracy) with flanking II because if they survive battle they quickly get a promotion (multiplied by the IMperialistic trait). The next thing to consider with Khan is the Great Wall which serves 2 purposes: 1) fight some early defensive wars to pop out those Great Generals faster and 2) Early Great Spies to either settle or infiltrate to steal some of the techs that you will be behind in. Once the Military techs are done, target Currency and Code of Laws and quickly whip markets and courthouses in conquered cities. Once you hit the gunpowder era your empire should be very large and you can decide there whether to conquer the remaining lands or settle down and go to space.

What to expect from AI Genghis Kahn (favorite civic is Police State):
WAR!!!!!! There is absolutely no way arround going against this guy and you either better be prepared to kill him or get someone else to kill him. He cares little for religion, has a very late favorite civic, and makes ALOT of demands so diplomacy is very difficult. Also at pleased he can still go after you and cares little for the power numbers. He is very competant at warring, bringing alot of troops, fighting intelligently for an AI, and stubbornly refuses peace or asks for a steep price for it. You may try to allie yourself with him but eventually you will end up fighting him. He also demands alot of tribute so be prepared to lay it out if your not ready for a fight.

Catherine the Great (Imperialistic and Creative), Starts with Hunting and Mining
Unique Unit : Cossack (Cavalry with +50% versus Mounted Units). A dominating unit in it's time period.
Unique Building : Research Institute (Laboratory that provides 2 free scientists) Helps greatly for late game teching, especially for the Space Race.
Mad's Opinion: The absolute BEST at REX!
Mad's TWo successful REX QUEEN: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=277095 , http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=278046

How to play with: (REX, REX, REX)
Seriously, Rapid Early Expansion (REX)! Imperialistic for fast settlers, creative for fast borders pops and discounted libraries! Block off land quickly from the AI! Early military with minimally archers (1 techa way) or axes (1-2 techs away with BW and the wheel) from the starting techs. However, start out with food techs and head towards very early economic techs like sailing/pottery/writing. Settle agressively close to AIs, whip/chop libraries and run an early Specialist Economy to keep the techpath up. It's not unusual nor bad to crash her economy early, just make sure you got food for scientists specialists!. Look for precious metals or possibly calendar resources as they pay for themselves. Once your empire is large, and it should be large early, think about military expansion as needed. Get Currency and Code of Laws ASAP. Now that you have acquired alot of land and cities, your UU comes into play where you can decimate all cavalry/Crussaires and possibly lock up a domination win. If Space is more you taste, the Russians have one of the strongest UBs for a Space race game, just hit electricity/refrigeration/superconductors afetr Physics to get a monster late Specialist or hybrid economy, preferably with representation. That's 12 beakers plus modifiers for every city of a large empire. Typically, production is the space race limit for Cathy rather than the science rate, so have a strong Ironworks city plus perhaps the Burecractic capital!

What to expect from AI Catherine the Great (favorite civic is Heritary Rule):
Unfortunately, AI Cathy plays the same way as I discussed above to play her, An agressive REXer! She settlers alot of cities very early and usually blocks off land. She also loves to go to war at any time (early through late game) plus like all AIs loves to build an excessive amount of Cossacks so you want quite a few cheap/old pikes or formation rifles to combat them! She also is an agressive warrior and builds significant amount of troops. BUT, the best/worst thing about her is she in completely untrustworthy and the games biggest backstabber. Don't be fooled by an early friendly status due to favored civic and shared religion, that can drop real fast and she WILL attack at pleased or even friendly! She also demands alot of tribute and free techs and you will suffer ALOT of diplomatic penalties to refure making keeping her at friendly ever more difficult. Ditto with warring requests! If you end up with her in you game, expect to go to war with her by the end maybe 95% of the time!

Mansa Musa (Spiritual and Financial) starts with Mining and the wheel
Unique Unit : Skirmisher (4 strength archer with 1-2 first strikes), Overall best early defender, and very good on the offense.
Unique Building : Mint (Forge that gives +10% gold). Simple and stronge UB.
Mad's Opinion: The games best techer, in the human hands or the AI!
Mad's Successful GREED!: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=285941

How to play with: (Agressive teching, Cottage Economy, Early game peace and diplomacy): One of the games strongest techers, he is financial yet with NEVER lose turns to anarchy! The starting techs are excellent for mansa although you will want to commit the first few techs to food (agriculture, hunting, or fishing) and military (Bronze Working, Animal Husbandry, Archery), although I prefer to go agriculture/hunting/archery/pottery as the first 4 techs. Mansa is one of the few Spiritual leaders that does NOT start with mysticism, but that should NOT stop you from founding an early religion. Given his traits, look for nabbing Code of Laws first while trying to get the Oracle for the metal casting slingshot and early mints! Built a temple (or 2) in teh Oracle city and pop out a Great Prophet as the first Great Person to shrine Confuscianism for even more gold (and leverage that UB!). Use the Mali UU as a defender supreme which allows you to delay defensive units like Fuedalism/machinery in favor of the liberalism beeline, just build more skirmishers (the UB compensates for the extra upkeep). The goal is to get and maintain a very strong tech edge over your rivals and bring either middle Age weapondry versus classical or rifles versus Middle Age stuff, and at this point you can decide to agressively expand your empire or tech towards space with a smaller but efficient empire (just keep your defense updated and strong).

What to expect from AI Mansa Musa (favorite civic is Free Market):
He is simply the games biggest tech-hog. He will trade anything and do almost anything to get a tech, although he is NOT generous and you will always be on the losing side of the trade. THAT can be used to your advantage as you can get alot of techs from him in trades and then bribe him to attack someone else (Shaka, Ragnar, or the Khans are favorable targets) and get himself killed or vassaled (of course you have to deal with who he attacked). Of course beware as he can be bribed by your rivals to attack YOU also! Mansa is also a sap in war and an easy target, however it is best to leave him alive as he will still trade techs with you even after major wars. Some people say kill him right away but he has alot of uses alive although he will also trade techs to your rivals so be careful, it's best to keep a monopoly on any warring techs you have (Guilds/rifling/Assmebly line etc...). Left alone Mansa will tech very well, remain peaceful/friendly and try for either a space or culture win usually before you can launch your own spaceship (at least at emperor level in my hands). The good things is that he can be taken down late in the game without too much difficulty.

Agustus Caesar (Industrious and Imperialistic), starts with Fishing and Mining
Unique Unit : Pratorean (Swordsman with 8 strength but no extra +10% versus city), Arguably the best Unique Unit.
Unique Building : Forum (Market with +25% Great Person Production). The closest a leader can get to the overpwoered Industrious/Philosophical combo.
Mad's Opinion: THE strongest WonderSpammer in the game, and a very dangerous early Military Machine.
Mad's Successful The Glory of Rome (One City Challenge): http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=262883

How to play with: (WonderSpam, Early military Conquest, REX)
The BEst at WonderSpamming due to the Unique Building, even stronger than Ramesses and Hyuna Capac. The goal is to quickly establish several cities leveraging the Imperialistic trait so that you can leave Rome to wonderspam, and thus produce ALOT of early GPs which may or may not be settled (both strategies work with Agustus and I am not here to describe the Settled Great Person Economy). Also remember every wonder get's Rome yet another bonus, especially the Parthenon which combined with the UB can give Agustus near Philosophical abilities, for a while. Tech what you need based on the land, and rush who needs to be rushed. Remember Rome was not built in a day and early patience will greatly pay off, do not rush to Prats superfast and crash the economy (that's the Caesar's job!). More so than alot of other leaders, aim research towards both the UU (Iron Working) and UB (Currency) as they both leverage greatly into Agustus plans. Look to expand slowly but consistently, via Imperialistic or War and remember Rome MUST expand or die! Agustus can win anyway, but getting a large empire while using Rome as a Wonspammer is one I tend to favor!

What to expect from AI Agustus Caesar (favorite civic is Representation):
He is the easier of the Roman rulers to get along with, yet he is more dangerous as he generally has no predictable play style. He can stay at peace and Wonder Hog, or use military agressively. He is not a backstabber (like the other Caesar) but on the other hand NOT easily bribed into wars. If you have befriended him early he is a valued Allie and not all that dangerous in a Space Race, but if you cross him be prepared to finish him as he will build alot of units and keep coming after you. Generally, I look at him as a Potential longtime friend unless we are at each other's doorstep at which case he should not be trusted too much. One final note, I have found him extremely agressive in pursuing iron so if he has none and you do.........

Boudica (Agressive and Charismatic), starts with mysticism and hunting
Unique Unit : Gaellic Warrior (Swordsman that starts with Guerilla I and only needs copper), While not obvious, the only melee unit that can get the Guerilla promotion.
Unique Building : Dun (Free Guerilla I to units that normally get that promotion). Different from the UU.
Mad's Opinion: War-Monger with the most dreaded and power military trait combo.
Mad's Successful The Amazon Queen: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=303118

How to play with: (War, War, War, and perhaps a little faith!)
The Celtic Queen is a mighty War-Monger although she other abilities that can utilized. Aside from early happiness, she has no economic benefits and you need to make your own! I have found she is best played with a little patience, get an early religion and attempt Stonehenge for the free happiness and also the Great Prophet Points. With a little luck Boudica will have an early well spread and SHRINED religion to pay the bills for early warring. At that point use her UU and UB to start some serious warring! Aim for several Guerilla III, combat I Gallics (they last a very long time) And go smash your nearest neighbor, at least enough to get a Great General! Settle the GG in the HE city, get theocracy and you have 7 XP new units waiting to get that easy promotion and get the Queen another Great General to command faster! By the end of the Gallic era you have have a well promoted army, and a sizeable empire to manage! Cottage and trade apropriately to keep the economy afloat understanding a larger empire will beat down smaller empires with better traits!

What to expect from AI Boudica (favorite civic is Universal Sufferage): A very dangerous enemy, or a life-long reliable Ally! She is definitely a classic war-monger, however she is NOT a back-stabber! If you manage to befriend her and stay loyal yourself (you will get dragged into wars) she's one to really count on! This can be tough as religion means little to her, the favored civic comes late (although US is popular as opposed to Police State from the other war-mongers), and she makes alot of demands. If she is your enemy, I suggest eliminating her fast or eventually vassaling her as she knows how to war! She is not much or a techer or builder so likely your biggest threat comes early in the game; However, if she's on another continent later in the game you have a decent chance of befriending her via US.

Thanks a lot madscientist! You are definitely one of my favorite posters on this site.

I followed your advice on Roosevelt and got the GLH. After that, the game was smooth sailing.

I'm on Washington now. I think I already made a mistake by not whipping enough and trying to grow my cities out too big in the beginning. I'm in 1st place and have big cities, but little infrastructure. I think I will start to get passed up soon and will probably have to start over.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

On Washington - he is the most likely AI to declare due to a refused demand in the game, IIRC, so don't screw around with that - just give it to him.

I love this exploit. When you can't bribe Washington to DoW on another player because of their might or whatever, you just make a def pact with them, then refuse Washington's demand and BOOM! You forced them both to war without penalty, but THEY get the penalties against each other, and you get the bonus with the strong one.

Good points on Washington. It never sunk in, but I gotta agree. He does declare after refusing a demand!

Top Bottom