[Warlords] Battle of Hastings

you know you can actually play warlords 2.08 mods without having the disk? Fireaxis messed up big on that, which is probably why they were so swift with the patch(s) afterwards. Try it out if you don't believe me, you can pop the cd out and it still runs all the same.

anyhow, do you know if this would work with warlords 2.13 or whatever the latest version is? Might be worth a try ;)

Thats true I tried it...hilarious! :lol:

I think, that I want to start working on this again. BTS still won't install (I almost got it but I had a crash saying that it couldn't find crc.dat or something, and even after copying that in, it still wouldn't work. Any ideas would be great, but otherwise I give up [for now ;)]). I don't remember all of the current problems but I think my two leaderheads are a problem, and that city walls bug is still in there. (I'll try out The_J's solution to try fixing that.) I really want to work on Python scripts mostly, but I need to fix up the bugs first.

About the leaderheads, if anyone would offer to make a minimod to see if the leaderheads work in Windows by themselves, that would be awesome! If they still won't work, I'll start a new thread to see if any of the better artists around here can tell why they are bad.

I think I'm going to stick with Warlords for now, since there probably isn't much worth in me updating (esp. without BTS!) Once I get the Mac version, maybe someone can convince me otherwise :D.

I think I'll put in the Sobieski leaderhead as a placeholder for William (which I had originally) and find another for Harold until I can fix (or redo :sad:) them. I'll try fixing the city walls bug, and then do a new release and go from there.

I want to fix up this mod pretty badly right now , but I might waffle back and forth between this and other programming/game making interests. (I will probably be helping with my Wild West mod for Colonization, which has been taken over by TC01.) I really hope you guys are as excited for this mod as I am!

About the leaderheads, if anyone would offer to make a minimod to see if the leaderheads work in Windows by themselves, that would be awesome!

What leaderheads do you mean?

I think I'm going to stick with Warlords for now, since there probably isn't much worth in me updating (esp. without BTS!) Once I get the Mac version, maybe someone can convince me otherwise :D.

End of the month, am i right?

I really hope you guys are as excited for this mod as I am!

Sure :).

Good news for the mod, bad news for your artwork.
Bad news first:
None of them works. One time i got a totally screwed up william, but the other times both leaderheads and the unit led to a CTD.
The problem seems to be not MAC-related, because Huayna_Capac has the same problems with his leaderheads.

Good news: The mods works, i can't see any missing things. But i haven't really played, just clicked one time on the end round button.

I think the problem is something Mac (also its Mac not MAC ;) ) related since Huayna's problem was that he never did the Nifswap (from what I can tell from his posts.) My computer can load up my leaderheads, but not his. I'll post a thread in a bit to see if any of the artists here can tell what is wrong before I go about redoing them totally.

Nice to see the mod works, but is the city walls bug still there? I saw the siege tower appear in my own test, but I'd like to make sure it works on Windows.

Thanks for your help! :)

I've got this problem with wilhelm and harold caused simply by the fact that their only in Noshader version and not as shaded. To me, it messes up the game eatch time i contact them or ever want to choose them. That's my problem right now. Anyway, keep up the good work, i'l just use ingame LH's instead.

Game fonts? This interests me. What is it you are looking for? Not sure what the problem may be. Looking over some of the graphics related messages, it seems that you need a separate person to work on them. (FWIW Dale mentioned somewhere that he doesn't do his own graphics.)

Python? This is a learnable skill and you have the ability to do this, especially since you know where you are going.

Later tech ideas? How many need to be done?

I need Gamefonts so the religions show up properly on the cities. Right now I'm using the Vanilla Gamefonts, so Norse Paganism's symbol is that of Judaism and Celtic Christianity uses Islam's. Editing the Gamefonts is notoriously difficult even for Windows users, a next to if not impossible on the Mac. There are plenty of tutorials in the references section, if you'd like to try for me.

I have been trying to learn Python, but I'm still at the point where I can't get a script to work with Emperorfool or The_J holding my hand through the process. :sad:

I'm not think of making any more techs, just maybe adding things to the late game techs as they seem to lack much besides Civic unlocking.

Good. Good. Now I know where the fonts will get used. Seems like it might be good to know what the Norse and Celtic symbols need to look like. Presumably if a person, say me, were to research this a bit, you would probably find the result acceptable so long as they fit it. I did some font work a few years ago for some reason. So this may be doable for me...

I have an interest in python myself but not prioritized yet. (I need to balance my civ play and modding out at least until this project is finished - finally beat deity and it has sped up my game play considerably.)

Did some quick initial research:

Norse Paganism -- The symbol you have is simple and elegant. How did you manage this?
Catholic Christianity -- The in game cross you used is "adequate." It will be difficult to improve/make-it-unique for your mod.
Celtic Christianity (My real question) -- The islam symbol is round and so are some versions of the celtic cross (!) which appears in many varieties almost always with a circle. Sometimes it looks a simple as, for lack of a better description, a circle with a plus sign in it or as a full cross with a circle at the top. (And sometimes it is really ornate.) Offhand, I'm thinking a circle with 4 triangles (forming a plus-sign/cross) in the middle will work fine.

P.S. Just remembered I still have Dale's AoD mod for vanilla where he added religions of his own. (When in doubt reference Dale!) I can see 2 DDS files for each religion (art directory) as well as 2 font .tga files with religions in them. So the question seems to be how to get religions into the .tga files?

I ripped the Norse stuff from the Just Another Religion Mod (JARM), so maybe you could even copy his Gamefonts as well. I don't think there are any Celtic things in that mod, but you could look.

I was thinking the same thing for the Celtic Cross, maybe some like this

But in Gold and maybe a bit more ornate. I think simple is better though, at that size. There are a couple of tutorials in the modding tutorial index under the buttons, flags, ect. section on the first page. I'd look at those to help you out.

That symbol looks good. Did a quick test on the .tga file with photoshop. Copied part of the medic symbol over the Jewish symbol and flattened the image. In game the Norse paganism city icon now looks like a medic (jewish medic?). Photoshop may be sufficient for the fonts. Kind of worried about hidden pitfalls.

Also got a working celtic cross but the above design doesn't factor in-game scaling/cropping. I got a gold circle with a brown plus sign on top. (used Create/PS/Aorta) Basically the game zoomed in on the symbol cutting off at the edges of the circle. But otherwise it looks distinct and mathematically precise.

Attachments

• religion.jpg
    religion.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 108
Working that. It's simple in concept though the alpha channel is a bit tricky. It's interesting that a couple months away from modding and I come back to the religion icons and manipulate alpha channels there in a breeze when I couldn't before. Go figure. The larger one in the tga files require some care. You have to "erase" the old parts of the channel before adding the new graphics. This is a new technique for me to learn. So I take a break and watch my first TV show in months on ... the lost pyramid. (Wonder why I chose to put a pyramid on my avatar at the left. LOL)

--TGAs are coming along fine, easier than expected. Norse symbol needs a background color. Aorta tells me there was one in the original image. Since I only had the dds file to work with, the background got lost in the reverse engineering to a photoshop file. Currently it behaves like the Hindu symbol but it is not as distinct and is hard to see. The Celtic symbol above should be fine (haven't tested that yet) since those colors are sharp. The star for the holy city may be indistinct but that will be only one city -- tolerable.

@The_J

It's simple in concept though the alpha channel is a bit tricky.
LOL. After succeeding with the first tga file that statement needs to be rephrased. "It's tricky in concept but Photoshop makes the alpha channel simple." Understanding black-and-white and adding/subtracting is counter intuitive when dealing with alpha. Once you get past the initial mind block the rest is straightforward.

@Flintlock

Attached is a screen shot of the city icons. Probably the best I can do without a knock-em-dead graphic for the Celtic cross. The biggest problem was the stars for the holy cities. They are just too small to get perfect. These have also been tested in XP.I still have to do the 75 .tga file.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=222984&stc=1&d=1249078395

Attachments

• cityicons.jpg
    cityicons.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 160
Top Bottom