Dominion NES

Raising Star

Spoiler :
Gwen was sitting on the edge* of the ledge, shifting through reports. She didn’t really feel like it, but she needed to keep busy. In general, the reports were nothing important. The small village of Arkheim was holding a mayoral election, with the candidates being an octopus they claimed was from R’lyeh, the other being a large lizard. The DwCoMaEoM was still petitioning for its name change, and there were talks of similar army surges in Midgard and Helheim. With a sigh, she got up and began to pace.
The voice said, Don’t worry. He’ll be fine. He is immortal.
I know, thought Gwen through the link. It doesn’t make it any easier thought.
The voice said, why don’t you go and watch the trainees?
Gwen gave a small nod before going to the door of the Hall, and walking to the balcony overlooking the training ground. There were a few hundred trainees, maybe a third of the number which had left to Neiflheim, with most being vanir, about 70%, and the rest consisting mainly of skinshifters and humans. As she looked, she noticed Holdr was nowhere to be seen.
“Captain,” she called, using a bit of magic to allow her voice to be heard, “were is Holdr?”
“He was injured. It wasn’t a bad wound, but he claimed he couldn’t train anymore.”
Gwen snorted at the thought. Typical of that bastard. If his behaviour is any indication, it’s no wonder he can’t keep a girlfriend.
The voice chuckled softly.
“However, Lady, we do have one trainee who is who shows a lot of promise.”
Gwen thought for a moment. “Alright, bring him to the Hall when training is complete. I’d like to speak with him.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------
A few hours later, Gwen was still in the Hall. It seemed that since the last report was sent, the village had elected the lizard mayor, but the octopus had driven several people mad, and had destroyed the lizards mind, getting elected by default. She’d have to send some troops to see if this was right.
“Lady Gwen, here is the he promising young recruit”
She looked up to see a young vanir man standing, self consciously before her. “Hello, my name is Gwen, but I figure you know that. What’s your name?”
“Erik,ma’am.”
“Well, Erik, I have a job for you”

Orders sent, buoyied on the prayers of tens of thousands of Vanheim.

Hey, Formoria is still independent! Go independent provinces!

Maybe we should save it till independance day :p

Meirei o okurimahorsehockya.

Spoiler O-hanashi :
It was almost ridiculous, the size of the fleet that was disembarking.

Let's put it this way - it had been disembarking for the past three days, and still wasn't done. Merchant traffic had to be shut down in a couple of ports, as there was just not enough room for merchant vessels. Almost a thousand ships, and each one brand new and upgraded from the former standing navy. It had been a monumental undertaking.

It was impressive.
It was the wrath of a god.

Just from looking at it, you could sense the anger of Shizen. He had been annoyed enough by those Lankan monkeys, and he was going to smite them - and smite them
hard. It was almost as if the fleet was saying, 'This is what you get for opposing the will of Shizen-sama!'. People had begun nicknaming the operation 'Shizen no Tsuchi', the Hammer of Shizen.

You didn't want to be the anvil.

My computer died this week-end, so I couldn't work on the update. Or what little work I did is lost. So I'll have to do it during evenings this week. I'll start now but haven't read most of the orders I received so you may receive some some questions about clarifiaction anytime this week. In fact, I didn't check if I received all of them.
Update will probably be Friday, maybe even Saturday because of that.
(The computer which broke had already had a hardware problem, so I had it fixed but since the tech guy told me it could last as well 1 week as 1 month or more, I bought a new one. I just happened not to have it at end this week-end).

OK. I read all my mails now.
I need orders for Abysia and Arshnoc.
Please send me an email quicckly to say if you engage in a military operation, and where (no details needed). That will allow me to know if I need to do some battles somewhere, and start the rest of the update without having to redo something because of an unexpected battle/province ownership change.
Please send final orders before Friday (preferably before Friday 18:00 GMT). If I get the orders before I might be able to do the update before, but RL workload will probably not allow it.

How much more time do we have to submit orders, end of today or next friday?
edit: nvm
Orders sent, bouyed by dozens of over-powered ways to bend the rules and the precious hope that MAGNIR WILL JUST DIE ALREADY!!! &*^%#$@(*&)@!!!

Do you have the abyssian orders?

Do you have the abyssian orders?

I'll write my orders tonight, but they'll probably be the only orders I'll write for this NES. I just took control of a major power in another NES, which inherently requires more attention. Plus school. Debate cases don't write themselves.

But I'll honor the agreements I made with players this turn.

If you need more players I could take over a second nation :D
(does having multiple personalities count as being multiple people? ;))

That won't be necessary, thanks ;)
I'll post update tomorrow. I only have to crop a few images, draw the map and update trade routes and trade goods to do.

Good- the wait was too long.
By the way, thanks for doing this LDi. Seeing the dificulty involved in making screenshots and stuff, i realize how much work this is and i, for one, appreicate it.

Now that you got me hooked on Dominions, i want to play more dominions NESes- i want more people to run one like you do.

Screenshots aren't the longest part. Setting up the battle and getting the magic researched correctly is what takes time. That and moving units arround in the spreadsheets.

Players will be receiving detailed stats by e-mail.
Next orders expected for next Saturday.

UPDATE FORTEEN
Years of misfortune and the fall of Marignon

In the Jotunheim province of Bogarus, giants preach and try to persuade the inhabitants of the godhood of Magni and that it is his right to rule over the world and replace the Pantocrator. Despite, or because of, the extreme brutality of the giants, many inhabitants convert. Faith in Magni grows a lot in Bogarus as a result, but many people died during this forced conversion.
In Agartha, many miners died in the collapse of one of their tunnels.
In Niefelheim, Jotun giants attacks Vanheim.
Spoiler :

Jotunheim giants besiege Vanir soldiers.

Vanir and their dwarven smiths cast winds of blades, magma bolts and thunder strikes at the giants, killing several of their wizards, but the giants retaliated with ice bolts and their troops charged to gace the cave drakes who defended the breached walls, while enlarged dragonflies disturbed the defenders.
Spoiler :

Giant dragonflies distract vanir defenders.

Giants enter the castle through the breach under cold magic cover while dwarven smiths reanimate skeletons.

Thordai casts blade winds at the enemy.

Jötnar retreat after taking many casualties.

Jotunheim giants didn't manage too take out Vanheim's fortress. Despite heavy losses on both sides, the giants couldn't get a big enough front to take out vanir while dwarven smiths hurled magical blades at them. Oriax, the ice devil fighting for Jotunheim, was banished to his native hell by a blast of thunder. As a result, Vanheim takes complete control of Niefelheim and Jotunheim armies retreat into their homeland.

Arshnoc priests of Baikal received the visit of an old hermit. The man told them he wanted to tell them of a secret, for he knew the place where an ancient artefact of great power, a cup known as the Grail, could be found. Alas, he died of a stroke before revealing his secret and the location of the artefact remains unknown.
In Baikal, Arshnoc soldiers and priests hunted down Infor Vadul, the ancient plant undead, and confronted him in a decisive battle. Priests banished all the undead monstrosities that Infor Vadul reanimated, and the monster was soon sent back to the hell it should never have left.
In Dark woods, the militia tried to hunt down mushroom resellers. As they had trouble catching the culprits and lacked organisation, they resorted to an emergency action: They set fire to the mushroom forest. They totally burnt it down and destroyed it, thereby making sure that the toxic plants would no longer be sold and wouldn't cause addictions anymore. Of course, many inhabitants were addicted, and died because they lost their drugs. And a few of those who were not addicted were smugglers and used the plants to get a complementary revenue. They, along with the families of the dead addicts are quite unhappy with their government decisions and the militia, and unrest has skyrocketed in the province as a result.
In Ural, the army prepared itslef to attack Jotunheim, but as scouts warned of incoming wolf and moose riders, the Arshnoc forces hurried to confront the stealthy vaettir. These were easily dispatched by archers and amphipteres, but it happened that the sneaky vaettir had been sent to distract the army from Magni, who walked alone into Ural, leaving his infantry behind him.
Arshnoc soldiers dispatched the wolf riders, routed the moose riders and went to confront Magni.
Without success once more. Magni wasn't intent on fighting them. He raced through Ural, killing all in his path but no more. And those who stood in his path died without stopping him. Footmen tried to stop him, and he crushed them like they didn't exist. Arshnoc wizards tried to cast spells at him but they were too few of them. Tigers arrived from Caelum, trying to catch him, but again he turned them into slices of tiger meat. Eventually, Arshnoc army realised they couldn't stop him and had to let him through. They retreated in order, and realised that Magni didn't try to push his advantage or fight them. He just ran west/northwest with unnatural speed, and Arshnoc soldiers quickly lost sight of him. Magni cut himself a path through Ural, leaving corpses behind him. Ural inhabitants are in awe at the giant's march through their province, which doesn't exactly please the Arshnoc rulers.
Although they had suffered some losses, the Arshnoc generals decided to stick to their initial plan of taking Bogarus back. Now that Magni was no longer here, the conquest of Bogarus should be easier. So the army marched on.
Spoiler :

Arshnoc tigers and archers attack Jotun militia and infantry.

And indeed, the resistance they faced in Bogarus wasn't enough to stop them. Without Magni to lead them, the giants were outnumbered, and they lacked magical support, so it all came down to Arshnoc's tiger teeth and claws, and their archers' arrows against the giants. Numbers made the difference, and Bogarus was conquered.

Ulm fishermen have caught a strange man in their nets: He is obviously a shipwrecked sailor, but he lost all memory of his past, but proves to have some strange magical powers that make him feared by his saviours. In these times of war, however, he hasn't been killed outright for sorcery, but was asked to help Ulm in the war effort against Pythium.
Meanwhile, Ulm armies from south and west joined to attack Pythium in Dacia. Ulm had brought a big host of black knights, several of them equipped with magic weapons, and they attacked the Pythium legions.
Spoiler :

Ulmish and Pythian armies at the start of the battle.

Ulm charged the legionaires in a midst of magical corrosive clouds aand under the cold blasts of ice drakes while Pythium wyverns attacked Ulm crossbowmen

Having defeated the wyverns, Ulm's reserve knights come to join a hard-fought battle.

Their armor turned into worthless rusty bits by Diana's magic mists, Ulm knights flee, leaving their infantry

Ulm's attack was a disaster. Without any magic to counter Pythium's, their armors and weapons proved insufficient. Although they dealt a heavy blow to the enemy's wyvern and cavalry contingents, Ulm's losses were far superior, and none of its front line infantry could escape the battlefield alive.

Ermor peasants have been blessed with extraordinarily good harvests these years. Better said, they have been blessed with harvests that people in other countries would call average at best, but in the desolate Ermor lands, it's gorgeous. For the first time in, well, most living men lives, Ermor's population has actually grown these years, as less people died of malnutrition than usual. This also led to more commerce and gold in Ermor's chests.
Alas, Bavaria was not so fortunate. There, some people caught a strange disease and started eating corpses rather than crops. These ghouls weren't tame like the undead behemoths Ermor wizards had created, but dangerous creatures set loose that velites and auxiliary legionaires had to hunt and kill. This resulted in less people working in the fields and less food stored in the granaries of the province.

In Pythium, Dain the sage has been attacked by a creature that came from «beyond the pale». He managed to banish it thanks to his magic, but hasn't been able to describe the creature correctly. As a result, Dain tried to learn more about it, and wrote many scrolls describing the thing, without ever succeeding. The result is that he didn't do anything useful during that time, but produced a big amount of scrolls saying things like this:
It was big. Not big like an elephant or a hydra, although a hydra hachtling between 3 and 4 years might be somewhat tall like the Thing. Except, of course, hydras have several heads, while It had but one. This obviously makes it difficult for the wise to measure a hydra, as one does not know which head to choose. Furthermore, young hydras tend to bite their tail off, which grows back quickly, but it's hard to know how big they are since they may have eaten a foot of themselves one day and have it grown back the day after. Therefore, a comparison with hydras can't really give a precise idea of the size of the Thing.
I almost forgot to add that hydras have a noxious aura, which is important to say because the Thing didn't have one.
And it goes on like this or worse for pages and pages, describing just about everything that the Thing which attacked Dain didn't look like in sometimes dreadful detail.

The attack on the renowned Pythian sage wasn't the only setback the emerald empire suffered in this period. In Arcoscephale, some lizards broke free from their cages and went feral. It took the militia a lot of time to hunt them down and get rid of them, as they had taken the bad habit of attacking and eating men.

Shinuyama fleet sailed south to engage Lankan pirates who embargoed their home island.
Before they reached Lanka, they met a group of Lankan quinquiremes sailing in Central Ocean. Intent on destroying Lankan fleet, the Shinuyama ships tried to engage combat, but Lankans didn't want to. They sailed with the wind, fleeing eastwards in order to avoid the fight. A pursuit was engaged, and Shinuyamans eventually managed to force the monkeys to fight. Shinuyamans outnumbered Lankas about three to one, and they sinked three Lankan quinquiremes while losing only one of theirs to an enemy ram. Having destroyed the enemy fleet, Shinuyama ships sailed west against the winds to reach Lanka island, only to realise that the fleet they had fought had been purpossedly sent against them as a diversion in order to allow a more important fleet to land: Lankans were coming back home and were ready to fight Shinuyama to reclaim their lost land.
Lanka landed a huge army. Lots of elephants, big bandar warriors, smaller archers and infantry, backed by their goddess Hanman and many rakshasa wizards.
In front of them, Shinuyama army looked small. Several human soldiers, sohei and bandits, along with dai kabutsu and O bakemono, formed a thin line to hold the enemy, but many wizards were there, who had been busy researching secrets that would hopefully help defend the island.
Spoiler :

Shinuyamans are outnumbered by Lankans

At the start of the battle, Hanman cast a powerful enchantment that would relieve her troops, reinvigorating them and nullifying fatigue from fight and spells. Her wizards enchanted their troops with haste and regeneration spells, or cast lightning bolts at the opponents, while Shizen's wizards summoned elementals of water, earth and fire, summoned fire spirits and wolves to help them in the fight, as their infantry was being trampled to death.
Lankans cast lightning bolts while bakemonos and shugenjas used lightning, fire, acid and steel to counter the elephants and monkey warriors.
Spoiler :

Lanka troops are magically relieved from their fatigue while Shinuyama wizards summon huge elementals to make for the loss of their infantry and cast kightning bolts at their opponents.

Elephants are cut down by lightning and blade winds and held by elementals, but Lankans start reanimating skeletons and corpses to help them.

All shinuyama infantry is dead but there's only one elephant left, and now Lanka relies on undead to face the elementals.

Lanka undead fight Shinuyama elementals and corpse candles.

Undead numbers are too much for the elementals, as monkey archers come help their longdead warriors.

As the undead render themselves masters of the battlefield, the Shinuyama wizards who haven't been killed by arrows or lightning try to flee, but many are too tired to escape the incoming horde of undead, and among them, Bres the tuatha, and also Shizen, whose body was destroyed. However, Shizen is no mere wizard: he is, without doubt, the mightiest bakemono kunshu in terms of magical prowess. As soon as his body was destroyed in Lanka, a new body created itself in Shinuyama: Shizen's dominion was strong enough to avoid death, even a temporary death as that suffered by Stheran several years ago.
Anyway, Shinuyama had lost the batttle. Although it had destroyed most of Lanka's infantry and all their elephants, Shinuyama didn't have any field arly left in the island, and the wizards fled to the coast, where the long-expected fleet arrived in time to get them on-board, thereby escaping total destruction by the enemy.
Lanka island now belongs to Lanka again, and Shizen's temple has been destroyed and left for the jungle to grow over, but now Shinuyama fleet is sailing the coasts, while Lankan ships which had landed their troops have retreated south to join other, newly cosntructed vessels on the coasts of the southern continent.

In Mictlan, priests have been rounding up slaves for blood sacrifices for years and the population mostly accepted that as a necessary evil. They understand that the blood of young virgins must be spilled in order for the Mantis to better fight the forces of evil like Marignon. However, some people have no faith, and believe the life of their daughter is more important than the Mictlan ruling over the world... This is one such heathen who paid a small group of adventurers to free his daughter from the dungeon she was being held in. The adventurers, whom the surviving guards describe as three of trolls, a black knight and a wizard-mage, attacked a well defended citadel by surprise, killed most of the guards and escaped with three score prisoners. Among these, ten came back to the priests, their devotion to the Mantis being so high they wanted their fate to be accomplished. They said the leader of the adventurers was a big troll called Bogus, but they didn't know where he had led their comrades.
Worse (?), a volcano in Machaka erupted, causing the death of thousands of people.
Even more bad luck plagued the Mictlanese, as nightmares started plaguing their army and priests stationed in Kymriu province. As a result, after the Obsidian Mantis and the first regiments started moving southward, some wizard priests in Kymriu refused to follow their orders and did not move south as ordered, saying that they had just received visions which were more important than rooting out the evil Marignonese. They say they must look at signs in the stars, for there lies a question whose answer is a number, and none but them can find the answer. The rest of the army moves south, except for one jaguar warrior regiment, whose general fails to show up the day his unit should have left. When the missing general is found, he sports a crossbow bolt protruding from his right eye. The priests order the jaguar warriors regiment to stay and protect them and so this regiment, too, remains in Kymriu.
As Mictlan troops marched south from Kymriu and Man, other troops came from Marverni and joined in Man to prepare the invasion of Marignon.
Further troops arrived by sea, but a big Mictlan fleet sailed north into Northern atlantean sea to secure these waters. There they met a Vanheim navy, which they menaced, asking them to get out of these waters. The Vanir captain refused to sail out of the way, fearing that his ships might be needed to rescue troops in Niefelheim should the siege turn badly. However, Vanheim's longship stood no chance against the many Mictlanese quinquiremes, and the captain decided to flee northwards, remaining near Niefelheim coasts.

In Marignon, several priests and wizards were assassinated or disappeared without explanation. This led to a witches hunt until a woman was caught by an inquisitor, and found to be a demon. Her bat wings didn't let her fly away and she was burnt to the stake. While Marignon fanatics were busy hunting witches, Mictlan armies invaded frrom the north, soon joined by Abysians who landed from Mictlanese ships. Mictlanese and Abysians were so numerous they haad a hard time finding food. This would have been a real problem hadn't Marignon army charged them like there was no tomorrow, most of the troops being flagellants with little discipline.
Spoiler :

Mictlan jaguar toads and abysian infantry attack Marignon flagellants and knights.

Marignon wizards hold a few toads in fire prisons but abysian demonbreds are more deadly with their fireballs

Marignon last crossbowmen are chased downby flying jaguar fiends

Marignon soldiers killed many jaguar toads, but they were outnumbered and outmuscled. In the end, the province was conquered and Marignon was given to Abysia. Abysians and Mictlanese shared the mana gems they found in Marignon capital. Conquering the province happened to be the easy part, though. So many Marignonese had joined the army that there was noone to harvest the fields. Food became a real problem. The Mantis used her nature magic to create some food, but it was not sufficient, and starvation led to diseases, which broke out and killed both civilians and soldiers.

New map:
Spoiler :

... why won't Magnir just die already? He seems to get stronger every turn.
Saber: Yay, we can actually win!
T_F: Ouch, Bres will be missed (and Lanka). The war down south hasn't gone very well has it?
Why is nieflheim under Jotnir control? I thought Vanheim won.
Immac: Where did you get that many toads? theres hundreds of the little buggers.

What happened to the Grand inquisitor Hocus?
Diamond Eye: you will be missed, you went down fighting. Death by toads...
Maybe you could take over some random empire now.

Top Bottom