Bug Reporting

I'm often getting this error when directing to a city with cursor (newest svn) or immediately when trying to move a unit with right mouse button:

Might be a problem with theladiesogre promotion dll or lead from behind.

Log:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvScreensInterface", line 954, in forceScreenRedraw

File "CvMainInterface", line 3157, in redraw

File "CvMainInterface", line 6986, in updateHelpStrings

RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception
ERR: Python function forceScreenRedraw failed, module CvScreensInterface

seems to be a dll problem. I'm hating me now for not backupping my dll folder before I updated those modcomps.

Update: I've identified this error as an error of lead from behind modcomp. This error is also in the stock lead from behind modcomp.

Hello,

I don't have any screenshots so I hope I can explain myself well enough. My friend and I play multi-player games using BUG 4.1. We have the most updated version of BTS (3.19 I think?) and the same mod version. Just this evening I saved the game, we both exited the game, and went to load the internet game back up and we both received errors. The error kicked us out of the game and we got the pop up that says we experienced an unrecoverable error and we can send an error report (or choose not to).

Any ideas as to why this would happen whenever we try to load up a previously played game?

I should add that I tested this out without running BUG 4.1 and I do not get the error message.

Thanks!

@bcring: Does this happen with all old multiplayer saved games or just this latest one? Please see the Troubleshooting page (though not MP-specific) and provide the other information requested on it in a new post.

Is there a known problem with 4.1 with having errors get thrown when you right click to remove dotmap dots? If not when I get home I can provide some screenshots. It happened to me 3 times in my current game- they aren't critical errors, just a line of text and then the next click worked.

Thank you for getting back to me. Here is the information you requested:

BTS: 3.19
BUG version: 4.1
Install source: EXE
Install method: Multiplayer
Merged mods: Blue Marble
Everything else is standard.

Also, this does not happen with old multiplayer saves because previously I was not using BUG in my multiplayer games. All of my games prior to using BUG for multiplayer load fine, as well as all of my single player BUG games.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Logs.7z
    4.7 KB · Views: 65
Is there a known problem with 4.1 with having errors get thrown when you right click to remove dotmap dots?

Nope, I haven't seen any problems with it lately and I use it extensively.

@bcring - Thanks, I'll check your log files tomorrow.

Can you post the contents of PythonErr.log and PythonDbg.log in your My Games / BTS / Logs folder after that happens? That does look familiar, but I thought that was fixed in 4.1 instead of 4.1.1. I'll double-check that.

I ran into another bug with 4.1. Whenever I mouse over a building in my city screen, the ones I haven't built yet, I see the message, "Txt_Key_Building_Actual_Effects" instead of the "Actual Effects" text like I'm supposed to.

Can you post the contents of PythonErr.log and PythonDbg.log in your My Games / BTS / Logs folder after that happens? That does look familiar, but I thought that was fixed in 4.1 instead of 4.1.1. I'll double-check that.

Unfortunately, I loaded the game (even went back to the save I was at when that happened), but couldn't get it to happen again. I'll let you know if I do see it again and try to grab log info.

I ran into another bug with 4.1. Whenever I mouse over a building in my city screen, the ones I haven't built yet, I see the message, "Txt_Key_Building_Actual_Effects" instead of the "Actual Effects" text like I'm supposed to.

These text keys are in BULL itself--not BUG. It sounds like you have a newer DLL than the XML files that go along with it.

Unfortunately, I loaded the game (even went back to the save I was at when that happened), but couldn't get it to happen again. I'll let you know if I do see it again and try to grab log info.

Okay, let me know if it happens again.

Just happened. Here's PythonErr.log:

Spoiler :
File "BugEventManager", line 342, in _handleDefaultEvent
File "CvStrategyOverlay", line 98, in onModNetMessage
File "CvStrategyOverlay", line 432, in removeCityMessage
File "CvStrategyOverlay", line 444, in removeCity
File "CvStrategyOverlay", line 572, in eraseDot
RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception

And here's what appears to be the relevant part of PythonDbg.log:

Spoiler :
22:16:04 DEBUG: StatusDump-Start-1
22:16:04 DEBUG: BugEventManager - calling handler for shortcut ALT + X
22:16:04 DEBUG: BUG: calling <func CvStrategyOverlay.toggleDotMapEditMode (((6, 36, 685, 380, 33, 36),), {})>
1000 SCREEN TURNED ON

22:16:05 DEBUG: Character - #0, data 36, widget 35 0 0
22:16:05 DEBUG: StatusDump-Start-1
22:16:05 DEBUG: Character - #0, data 56, widget 35 0 0
22:16:05 DEBUG: StatusDump-Start-1
PY:plot was picked at 33, 36
Modder's net message!

PY:onModNetMessage
22:16:05 DEBUG: DotMap - adding city (33,36) on 27
Modder's net message!

PY:onModNetMessage
22:16:06 DEBUG: DotMap - removing city (33,36) on 27
22:16:06 TRACE: Error in ModNetMessage event handler &lt;function onModNetMessage at 0x0F3910B0&gt;
22:16:06 TRACE: unidentifiable C++ exception
22:16:12 DEBUG: Character - #1, data 45, widget 35 0 0
22:16:12 DEBUG: StatusDump-Start-1
22:16:12 DEBUG: Character - #1, data 31, widget 35 0 0
22:16:12 DEBUG: StatusDump-Start-1
PY:OnPreSave
22:16:14 DEBUG: SdToolKit: Mod Data Initialized : StrategyOverlay True
22:16:15 DEBUG: Character - #1, data 56, widget 35 0 0
22:16:15 DEBUG: StatusDump-Start-1

Let me know if you need more of the DBG log than that, I've made a backup of it in its current state.

A little more detail: I hit alt-X to open the dotmapper, clicked on a location and then immediately right clicked because I changed my mind. This caused the error. The center marker for the dotmap remained on the map but the shading showing the BFC area disappeared. If at that point I hit ctrl-X twice it disappears and does not re-appear. I have a screenshot of it with a naked singularity, I mean dotmap center spot, but I expect that isn't necessary.

Good information, thanks. The reason it disappears is that the entire layer is cleared in one call and redrawn when you hit CTRL + X again. I cannot reproduce the error your seeing. I even tried using 4.1 as well. No dice.

Knowing now that it happens when you remove the city immediately without moving the mouse to a new plot, can you make that error happen every time you do it?

Can you please answer the questions from the Troubleshooting page?

Unfortunately, no, I can't reproduce it on command. In fact (having quit and now reloaded Civ to check your questions) I can't get it to happen at all now, which makes me wonder if on some loads it will be endemic and others entirely absent. Not sure how that could be, though. In any case, while the immediate left-right click accompanied the error that time I cannot confirm for sure that it is the trigger.

My troubleshooting answers:
* I am running Vista on a laptop.
* BTS is all patched up to 3.19.
* I am running BUG merged with Better AI- my merged mod can be found at http://www.tumbolian.org/Civ/mergedmod.zip .
* The only thing I can think of that might be considered non-standard about my setup is that I launch Civ with '"C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod="\BUG Mod 4.1\"' in the shortcut.

My speculation is that the error is in the attempt to erase the city square for some reason- I notice in my screenshot from my previous game the phantom city square also exists.

If it happens to me again, I will see if I can reproduce it in that load of the game regularly (I seem to recall that the first time I saw it, I was able to reproduce it pretty reliably at the time, but I didn't check again the next time I loaded the game, because I was done dotmapping the area).

These text keys are in BULL itself--not BUG. It sounds like you have a newer DLL than the XML files that go along with it.

Well no. I just added BUG 4.1 but my BULL version is still the same as one as I was using before. Unless installing the new BUG overwrote BULL somehow. I certainly didn't change it.

BUG and BULL do not share any files specifically to avoid problems such as these. Did you grab a new DLL perhaps? Did that text work before? I suggest grabbing Assets/XML/Text/BULL_CIV4GameText.xml from the BULL repository. It may have some new texts not used by the DLL, but that won't cause any trouble.

I suggest grabbing Assets/XML/Text/BULL_CIV4GameText.xml from the BULL repository.

Well that explains it, the file wasn't even there. I had uninstalled BUG to add 4.1 and didn't think to check the BULL files in case I had to replace something there.

Top Bottom