Civilization V Announced!

Now I'm going to need some tips from people who have managed college + civ (with success, of course).
Play long sessions only in the weekends. If you need a fix during the week, start a PBEM or Pitboss so you can only play 1 turn a day. That's gotten me through uni so far. ;)

We know that America and Germany are in (on the firaxis website there's screenshots of Washington and Bismarck), but I personally I just hope that they still have the "more than one leader for some civs" thing going on, because frankly I want to play China, but not as Mao. :lol:

But, yeah, I hope they don't overemphasize graphics over improving gameplay and AI.

It's okay, I just hope that they fixed the slowdowns from the python-C++ language interpretors, that was the real cause of slowdowns. The game engine was plenty fast, it could compute 100 calculations in the time it takes you to blink. It was whenever the game had to grab information from the python files that made it lag.

I guess, this system will not be used at all ;).

City States will present a new diplomatic battleground

I'm skeptical, but would be very impressed if they are able to make diplomacy as fun as combat. That's been one major problem for all CIV games, up to and including CIV Rev -- diplomacy, espionage, trading, economic/cultural victories, even the non-unit-enabling aspects of the tech race all have paled in comparison to warfare from the perspective on interesting/fun gameplay IMO.

We know that America and Germany are in (on the firaxis website there's screenshots of Washington and Bismarck), but I personally I just hope that they still have the "more than one leader for some civs" thing going on, because frankly I want to play China, but not as Mao. :lol:

But, yeah, I hope they don't overemphasize graphics over improving gameplay and AI.

I know what you mean, cyb, but that can be tough for particular civs. Some civs have a long list of leaders that are globally better known e.g. English (kings and queens, prime ministers), Americans (generals and presidents). Others suffer greatly - e.g. think of Native Americans and you'd probably only get Sitting Bull or Geronimo, Egypt and you get Cleopatra or Rameses.

I don't mean to discount any civs in particular in terms of their history but some are thin on the ground as far as general knowledge goes (or am I betraying my own ignorance :p).

haz

About the tile system change: I hope that the hex tiles will make city placement, movement etc., more realistic, but I'm afraid that it will also reduce even more the natural chokepoints on maps. And the use of those are one of the things which makes playing civ interesting.

I hope that the map generators can still - or should I say "I hope that the map generators offered on release can for the first time" - produce interesting maps.

Ane.. any chance of getting advisers and some other humor like we had back in civ2? Or more random events?

Now I'm going to need some tips from people who have managed college + civ (with success, of course).

The real problem is if you are working and going to school. When I was not working while going to school I had a lot of free time to play video games. If you work, good luck.

8 months is a long time.:cry:

Of course, if they spend that time usefully improving Civ5(cough...AI...cough), then I wouldn't mind.:)

THIS IS TOTALLY AWESOME!!!
I just really hope that they take the player feedback stuffed in these forums and make a truely awesome game to go with the awesomeness!

Weather - looks like there's some rain in some of the screenshots, I wonder if this interacts with gameplay in any way, or is just an extra visual element.

I think those were arrows from the nearby archers, actually. But they should have weather in Civ 5, cause it's about time! :D

The things that look like civ borders seem to be interesting. Note how the northernmost hex that is in red/gold's border is 3 hexes away from the city, whereas a tile 2 hexes away from the same city isn't inside, and doesn't cross water. Maybe you'll be able to choose how your borders expand. That could be an interesting strategic element.

Here's a chart I whipped up showing the various civs there have been over the years.

The only confirmed civ, that I'm aware of, is the Americans. The darker hue green is the more likely it should appear in Civ V if you take into account previous versions of Civilization.

The way I see it, in addition to the Americans, the Aztecs, Chinese, Egyptians, English, French, Germans, Greeks, Indians, Japanese, Persia, Romans, Russians and Spanish have all debuted at least since Civ II, so they almost certainly will be there. The way I figure it, the Mongols and Zulu are very likely too.

That still leaves 2 civs.

Well, the other civs are probably somewhere among those that have been there, or maybe there are new ones.

Huzzah! The time for CiV is upon us!

There are a couple inaccuracies in that chart. Arabia was still in conquests, and, well, Vikings and Scandinavians are the same thing, plus that leaves 4 civs. :mischief:
I'm thinking Mali, Inca, Vikings, and Ottomans will occupy the other two spots.

Top Bottom