1.9 Beta Feedback

Hi Hex, welcome to Dune Wars. Thanks for the kind words.

Posting the saves before the repeatable crashes would be extremely useful.

Hi Ahriman,

Honour to whom honour is due ;).

The savegames are attached, just click for the next turn and the crash should happen.

I am playing a third game with Paul, Round 326 and no problems. The water stealer is quit fun :)

Cheers

PS: Found a bug, if you reasearch Water of Life you can build Truthsayer, the don't have a requirement for the Sisterhood Covenant

Attachments

• Ying AG-10448.CivBeyondSwordSave
    315.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Ying AG-10474.CivBeyondSwordSave
    376.9 KB · Views: 94
PS: Found a bug, if you reasearch Water of Life you can build Truthsayer, the don't have a requirement for the Sisterhood Covenant

Thanks. The Truthsayer should be a Bene Gesserit UU.
Without the Instructress unit, we don't really need the Sisterhood Covenant resource, we should probably remove it.

The savegames are attached, just click for the next turn and the crash should happen.

Interesting, but strange. For me, both games crash but one crashes after 5 turns rather than immediately. A small number of logfiles are produced. One I had never noticed before, resmgr.log, says that art file ,Art/Interface/buttons/techtree/desert_plantation.dds cannot be read. There are cases where commas are allowed, but that isn't one of them. Civcheck "should" flag this, I am surprised it did not. However, removing the comma allows both games to autoplay 10 turns past the save point.

Please edit file Dune Wars/assets/xml/art/CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml and search for desert_plantation. There is only one such line. Delete the comma in front of "Art", save, and reload. This fixed it for me.

I suppose this crash may come the first time a nursery building is completed, when the game tries to put a popup arrow to tell you about it. It might also come when you complete the tech which enables the nursery, and the game tries to give you a button in your city screen so you can build it.

The good news is, this change allows calvitix's text translation tool to be used. The bad news, maybe, is that the local changes he had made to some xml files are no longer relevant. It would be possible to use his tool to update DWT.xml with the French strings, since there are now proper TXT_KEY's in the individual xml files.

The files I updated are buildings/BuildingClassInfos, buildings/BuildingInfos, technologies/TechInfos, units/BuildInfos, units/PromotionInfos, units/UnitClassInfos and units/UnitInfos.

Hi,

The local changes I have done in my last release were exactly the same (introducing the TXT_KEY), I just added a _DESC at the end of each tag. I deleted now the _DESC to be compatible with your changes.

I now have merged all the beta 1.9 and 1.9-b-1-1 patch with the translations I already made.

here the package :

Attachments

• Dune Wars beta 1-9-B-1-1 - French translation - v0.22.7z
    401.4 KB · Views: 78
@ David - sorry for posting in the wrong location the first time.

Now for the particulars :
Python log shows NO errors and XML loading succeeded. The game CTD after starting a play now or custom game EVERY time, without fail. Stupid Vista (64 bit, service pack 2). The last time the game crashed under Vista the problem was in the SDK (class member accessors IIRC).

@ JesterFool, @ Ahriman: can you try deleting the one character from artdefines_buildings as I mention above? I hope this is the only problem, if not, we need to try to find something else wrong.

Thanks. The Truthsayer should be a Bene Gesserit UU.
Without the Instructress unit, we don't really need the Sisterhood Covenant resource, we should probably remove it.

Hi,

I'll like to see the Sisterhood Covenant to stay. For me thats part of the BG flavor, they send some of theirs sister/mothers to other fractions for thiers short or immediate benefit, but on the long term, the BG get intelligence information and can influance the important people and even make the others dependent from them.

In game terms, having a trading good that you share is good for your relations with other civs, that the BG start with one, gives them a edge in diplomaty.

Maybe a Building called Bene Gesserit Counselor with gives flat or % spionage points or helps to thwart spys ?

Cheers

@ JesterFool, @ Ahriman: can you try deleting the one character from artdefines_buildings as I mention above? I hope this is the only problem, if not, we need to try to find something else wrong.

Hi,

the deleting of the character fixed the crash in both savegames.

The building for the sisterhood covenant could also give culture or culture/spionage points.

Cheers

One I had never noticed before, resmgr.log, says that art file ,Art/Interface/buttons/techtree/desert_plantation.dds cannot be read. There are cases where commas are allowed, but that isn't one of them.

Please edit file Dune Wars/assets/xml/art/CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml and search for desert_plantation. There is only one such line. Delete the comma in front of "Art", save, and reload. This fixed it for me.

Hex said:
the deleting of the character fixed the crash in both savegames.

Cool, that's one more issue fixed.

calvitix said:
I now have merged all the beta 1.9 and 1.9-b-1-1 patch with the translations I already made.

Thank you. I'll include in the next patch.

Jester Fool said:
Python log shows NO errors and XML loading succeeded. The game CTD after starting a play now or custom game EVERY time, without fail. Stupid Vista (64 bit, service pack 2). The last time the game crashed under Vista the problem was in the SDK (class member accessors IIRC).

I fear we have an SDK problem again with Vista. It seems unlikely that the Nursery icon issue that Hex was having is causing an immediate crash. A lot of SDK changes have been made between 1.8.0.2 and 1.9 Beta so there is probably some issue with variable initialization that XP forgives but Vista does not.

The building for the sisterhood covenant could also give culture or culture/espionage points.

We could use a similar mechanic to Semuta Supplier/Semuta Den/Semuta Resource (although with the Narcotics Dealer we may have to rethink the Semuta Resource part

+ Missionaria Protectiva gives +1 happy per non-state religion, requires Sisterhood Covenant.
+ Bene Gesserit Mother School (palace), provides Sisterhood Covenant, gets +1 espionage points per number of Missionaria Protectiva in existence.
+ Could add a build Missionaria Protectiva espionage mission for the new BG Acolyte.

Moving forward, here is Patch 2 for 1.9 Beta I. It's just a zip file patch to be unzipped over 1.9 Beta I.

Includes everything from Patch 1 for 1.9 Beta I plus:

+ Fixed error with building art define for the Nursery building.

+ Included calvitix's latest French translation XML.

+ Proper usage of TXT_KEY_UNITCOMBAT_MELEE and TXT_KEY_UNITCOMBAT_WORKER

+ Salt unhealth now displays properly in the city screen:
Spoiler :

+ Includes new DLL and all updated SDK source - the Vista crash is still outstanding.

Edit: This patch is superseded by patch 3.

If Jester Fool can help trace the Vista problem that would be brilliant. Not having Vista it is hard to recreate. My game starts fine with a Debug DLL.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 255
This fix that was raised against the Better DuneBUG AI experiment has never been done in the main version of Dune Wars. I'll do it.

Just to confirm the Vista issue is still there with this patch. It would be fantastic if Jester could find the bug. I would have no clue where to even start sorry.

We could use a similar mechanic to Semuta Supplier/Semuta Den/Semuta Resource (although with the Narcotics Dealer we may have to rethink the Semuta Resource part

+ Missionaria Protectiva gives +1 happy per non-state religion, requires Sisterhood Covenant.
+ Bene Gesserit Mother School (palace), provides Sisterhood Covenant, gets +1 espionage points per number of Missionaria Protectiva in existence.
+ Could add a build Missionaria Protectiva espionage mission for the new BG Acolyte.

I think I'd be inclined to leave a MP building as Bene Gesserit only, and to have the Acolyte off changing relations rather than making buildings.

We should limit the number of things that the AI doesn't understand; for example, the AI probably won't understand the value of an sdk-created thing that gives +1 happy per non-state religion, so won't build it.

I'll like to see the Sisterhood Covenant to stay. For me thats part of the BG flavor, they send some of theirs sister/mothers to other fractions for thiers short or immediate benefit, but on the long term, the BG get intelligence information and can influance the important people and even make the others dependent from them.
I think that this is covered by the diplomacy bonus modifier of the Sister/Acolyte unit.
I'm not sure that we need a resource for this.
I'm open to the idea, but it seems more trouble than its worth.

I think its easier for the Missions to just give espionage points, which the AI can see and recognize and decide to build when its playing BG, rather than having a mechanic which requires the missions to be spread somehow.

I think the last time we had this sort of issue is discussed from this post. Essentially it turned out to be a null pointer exception - the fix was to add a null check. Probably there is some similar problem in the new SDK stuff.

Perhaps this is obvious and has already been tried, but vista and windows 7 are paranoid about writing files underneath "program files". Could you try launching civ by right clicking and selecting "run as administrator"? It would only take a second and would rule out any accidental re-introduction of a file being written there.

New Dune Wars player checking in. Only played one 1.8 game so far, but really liked it so though I'd try 1.9 Beta I Patch 2 out on Windows 7. Unfortunately the game crashes too for me when starting a game, whether I run it as Administrator or not.

Welcome and thanks for the feedback! None of the core development team is running vista or w7. Perhaps JesterFool can save the day again by running a debugger on his vista setup.

Top Bottom