1.9 Beta Feedback

jester fool said:
m_aiBonusValue = 12
m_aiUnitClassWeights = 1699872782
m_aiUnitCombatWeights = 16

That cannot be right. m_aiBonusValue is an "int *". 12 is an int. I will try browsing through the code, but something in the initialization is putting an int here instead of allocating an array.

As a hack, you could try commenting out all references to m_aiBonusValue, so at least the invalid value wouldn't mess anything up. That would result in something that does not crash but also doesn't correctly use whatever this object is.

Yes, the 1.8x dll works with 1.9. It does throw python exceptions but that is expected. I'll see if I can determine if a specific civ is causing the CTD during initialization.

In that case it looks like we'll just have to use process of elimination to determine which of the new SDK changes is causing the crash. I have a copy of the 1.8.0.2 SDK so I can just use BeyondCompare to create various versions of the code that each only contain a single new SDK change. It might be tedious but I can't think of another way to narrow down the problem. The AI_uninit() hasn't changed so I'm fairly sure the problem is elsewhere and this is just how the problem is manifesting itself.

It's incredibly easy for us to reproduce (start the game, hit single player, play now, hit OK blindly a number of times and presto) so if needs be you can put up a number of versions to test.

It's incredibly easy for us to reproduce (start the game, hit single player, play now, hit OK blindly a number of times and presto) so if needs be you can put up a number of versions to test.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking - make several different DLLs with the distinct 1.9 Beta components in them. Might be able to do it today, if not tomorrow.

I had another thought; if we're removing the Jihad tech, perhaps it would be more interesting to rename the Mahdi religion to Jihad?

More clearly obvious what it does. And we really should use Jihad somewhere.
We can still have things like Mahdi Temple and Mahdi Zealot.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking - make several different DLLs with the distinct 1.9 Beta components in them. Might be able to do it today, if not tomorrow.
I downloaded Beyond Compare (pretty cool I might add). Do you remember offhand which cpp files you changed? Otherwise, I guess I'll check each file (and corresponding header) one by one.

I downloaded Beyond Compare (pretty cool I might add).

I use because Kael used it and recommended it.

Do you remember offhand which cpp files you changed? Otherwise, I guess I'll check each file (and corresponding header) one by one.

Before you start doing that I am going to be posting another cutback version of the SDK very soon (DLL just compiling). If this doesn't work BeyondCompare a generate a nice little text file showing the files that differ.

Another fix attempt patch to be installed over 1.9 Beta I Patch 2.

I have cut out all code that is not essential to the new features. Mostly this is the CityBonuses code.

Please can someone confirm whether they can start a game in Vista/Windows 7 with this patch in place? Thanks.

Download Link

No. However, I just finished comparing all the files. You had 27 changed files in the patch BUT there are 37 that have been changed from 1.8.x. I noticed some syntax errors in 2? of the files when I compared them. I'll go back through and let you know which ones.

You had 27 changed files in the patch BUT there are 37 that have been changed from 1.8.x.

That's because not all the files had CityBonus stuff to back out. The remaining changes are much smaller so it should make it easier to narrow down where the problem - we can gradually move back towards 1.8.0.2 code until it starts working.

The remaining areas of new code are (for my reference as much as anything):

1. Building Duration and Building Creation Espionage mission, 2nd Prereq Promo for Esp Missions.

2. Religion Changes: Wildfire Spread, Thinking Machine Shrine Production, free Great Prophets for Religious trait.

3. Promotion Overwrites/Excludes. (Deny Promotion)

4. Scriptable Leader Traits for Abomination Trait.

5. Sandstorm Plot labelling, Terrain Health fixes.

6. A bit of removed Revolutions code that had TECH_SCIENTIFIC_METHOD and TECH_LIBERALISM hard-coded.

I can't do more tonight so anything you can do would be appreciated If there are syntax errors around then they could definitely cause a problem so let me know what you find.

The Stoneburner unit should be removed for all factions - the design intent was for the Death Hand to be a Harkonnen UU, with no other factions gaining access to this. Makes it feel more special.

[Alternatively; rename the Atomic Missile to Stoneburner.]

The Levied trooper has weird stats.

Its strength 18 at the moment, but replaces the strength 13 lasgun solider (not the strength 17 lascannon trooper). It also has a weird defensive bonus vs falcon thopters.

I suggest we:
a) Swap the unit art of the lascannon trooper with the levied trooper, so the lascannon trooper has the really tough heavy armor with the big-ass gun.
b) Make the levied trooper a Heavy trooper UU. And then make it maybe strength 11 instead of 10.

Does this burst of comments mean you have loaded the mod onto an XP machine?

The crash is on game start which means the pedia is still viewable from the title menu in Vista. I guess this is what Ahriman is looking at.

Next chief suspect for the Vista/Windows 7 crash is Scriptable Leader Traits which uses a boolean array (m_pbTraits from memory) to store the traits active for each leader. This is certain something that would need to be initialized on game start and the code is in CvPlayer.cpp which might tie in with where the code is breaking. I can remove this component and post a new DLL in around 8 hours (unless Jester Fool beats me to it).

Does this burst of comments mean you have loaded the mod onto an XP machine?
Nope. I am using the Civiliopedia to fill out the remaining unit strategy text.

Just a handful left, will finish up tonight.

Then start on flavor text.... though I seem to have lent someone my copy of Dune. I don't suppose anyone knows of an online version?

*Edit*
We still need to tweak the stats of the siege units.
They seem to have their city attack bonuses back again, so they're better than melee units at city assault.

I'm seriously considering getting a new laptop with Windows 7 to avoid this debugging rigmarole in the future...

I'm seriously considering getting a new laptop with Windows 7 to avoid this debugging rigmarole in the future...

Have you considered simply setting up a Virtual Machine? You can get VirtualBox for free.

Top Bottom