• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Cooking 101

My general problems tend to be not knowing when to take something out of the oven. I follow the times the recipes say, but it still doesn't tend to come out well. I sometimes put a toothpick in a cake or bread to check to see if it's finished, but it is still usually either over or undercooked (in which case I put it back in and then it almost always ends up overcooked anyways). I know for a fact my oven is basically unpredictable, but I know people with ovens technically a lot worse than mine that bake well.

Other problems tend to be I over or under stir batters so they end up weird, and I have a hard time putting certain ingredients in at exactly the right times for some recipes (for example, a recipe where you have to temper in something).

Basically, I usually just find myself burning myself, scrambling around the kitchen, making a big mess with the dough or batter I am using and not ending up with anything good to show for it. :sad:

Maybe try adjusting the height of the tray your pan is on.

Maybe try adjusting the height of the tray your pan is on.

I checked on this and noticed it can move down a rack, but the salmon I was cooking today took forever to actually do. I haven't tried actually baking a pastry or bread with the rack moved down yet. Maybe I'll switch between the two. A cake/bread is a lot thicker than a piece of fish I suppose. Thanks for the tip.

Just saying that might improve the consistency of the heating, though maybe it's time to replace the heating elements?

Just saying that might improve the consistency of the heating, though maybe it's time to replace the heating elements?

You might be right, but since I don't really have much money at the moment finding methods to make it work right for cheap is probably my only option.

COOKING 101: Equipment

Just the basics.

Knives: A few sharp cooking knives for meat, veggies, etc. A small knife if you really need to peel stuff (or a peeler). A bread knife. A carving knife if you do joints.

Frying Pan: I recommend non-stick

Small pan: for soup, rice, veggies

Medium pan: for potatoes, small portions of pasta, small dishes

Large pan: for stews, curries, etc.

Grater: For cheese/carrots

EDIT: Forgot some ;)

A grill: handy

An oven: essential

A microwave: handy for warming up yesterday's cooking

Fish slice: for frying stuff (think of the thing you flip omelettes/pancakes with)

Big wooden/plastic spoon: for stirring stuff

Next installment: essential ingredients.

Allow me to post an alternative list, that is both better and more cost effective.

A large carbon steel wok: Cheap, will last the rest of your life if cared for, and is by far the most versatile piece of cookware. You can use it for boiling, pan frying, deep frying, steaming, braising, sauteeing, and just about any other stove-top cooking method you can think of. You can get a large carbon steel wok for $30 that will last longer, and do the entire job of, a whole set of pans.

A large cast iron skillet: Cheap, will last the rest of your life if cared for, retains and distributes heat beautifully, can be placed in the oven.

A large pot: for boiling water. Quality doesn't matter at all, nor does material.

Those are the only real essentials as far as pots and pans go. Buy a small non-stick pan if you like to make lots of omelets, otherwise there is little point in non-stick. In fact, using non-stick cookware severely limits your ability to make a huge range of sauces.

For knives, just get one big one, one medium one, one paring knife, and a steel. Use the steel before and after you use the knives to keep them in fantastic shape. A paring knife makes a huge number of kitchen gadgets unnecessary.

Get some wooden spoons, one heat-proof rubber spatula, and one metal spatula (doesn't have to be a fish slice strictly speaking). Get two big cutting boards.

Buy other gadgets as your needs require (e.g. grater, potato peeler, etc.)

Obviously there's other stuff you might need in specific contexts, and I'm probably forgetting a couple things, but thats a decent essentials guide. The main point is that a wok and a skillet will do for $60 what would cost hundreds to duplicate in conventional pans and non-stick stuff of comparable quality, and will LITERALLY LAST A LIFE TIME.

My general problems tend to be not knowing when to take something out of the oven. I follow the times the recipes say, but it still doesn't tend to come out well. I sometimes put a toothpick in a cake or bread to check to see if it's finished, but it is still usually either over or undercooked (in which case I put it back in and then it almost always ends up overcooked anyways). I know for a fact my oven is basically unpredictable, but I know people with ovens technically a lot worse than mine that bake well.

Other problems tend to be I over or under stir batters so they end up weird, and I have a hard time putting certain ingredients in at exactly the right times for some recipes (for example, a recipe where you have to temper in something).

Basically, I usually just find myself burning myself, scrambling around the kitchen, making a big mess with the dough or batter I am using and not ending up with anything good to show for it. :sad:

A few tips, which may or may not be applicable to you:

1) Get an oven thermometer if you don't already have one to ensure that your oven's thermometer is working accurately.
2) Avoid opening and closing the oven often during cooking.
3) Put a pizza stone in the oven so that it retains heat better when opened and closed.
4) If you're having issues with baking that involves yeast, a beginner mistake is using too hot or too cold of water in the proof stage.
5) For cakes and whatnot, make sure you're using good cookbooks, and be sure to follow recipes exactly. Baking is much more precise than cooking.
6) If you're having issues where a bread or cake is rapidly approaching doneness on the outside but still needs time on the inside, put a foil tent over the top to buy yourself some time.

*subscribe*

I tend to do a lot of stir-fry when I do cook (mostly on weekends), though nowadays I do a lot of curry and stews because I can make a huge vat of it at once and stick it in the fridge and slowly eat it over the week.

A few tips, which may or may not be applicable to you:

1) Get an oven thermometer if you don't already have one to ensure that your oven's thermometer is working accurately.
2) Avoid opening and closing the oven often during cooking.
3) Put a pizza stone in the oven so that it retains heat better when opened and closed.
4) If you're having issues with baking that involves yeast, a beginner mistake is using too hot or too cold of water in the proof stage.
5) For cakes and whatnot, make sure you're using good cookbooks, and be sure to follow recipes exactly. Baking is much more precise than cooking.
6) If you're having issues where a bread or cake is rapidly approaching doneness on the outside but still needs time on the inside, put a foil tent over the top to buy yourself some time.

Thanks for the tips. The pizza stone is a great idea. I am sure the opening and closing the oven while cooking is a big issue for me as well, but the fact my oven is so inaccurate (and the light doesn't work so you can't see inside) means that I basically feel like I have too.

I am on my second oven thermometer right now, after my first broke and this one eats up batteries like crazy so I barely use it.

If anyone has any tips on how to cut onions into tiny pieces without crying, please come with it. In my opinion, onions improve the taste of almost anything.

The question is, why do I cry when cutting onions.
The answer is, sulfenic acids are released on demolishing cells.

What to do about them?
1) Do not use a serrated knife, this causes less cell-damage.
2) The root of the onion contains the most fluids, causing the most tears.
3) Rinse it once or twice, doing this reduces sulfenic acid forming.
4) Least known, but best/easiest too apply; cool onions. This reduces acid production a lot.

Translated to english, a recipe for you :) maybe a bit advanced for some :p

Fruit lasagna voor 2:

Ingredients:
350 gr. minced meat
2 Italian sweet peppers (long and pointy)
1 Fresh pineapple
2 Tomatoes
2 Bananas
(1 Mango)
300 ml Milk
300 gr. grated (goat) cheese
Cornstarch
Italian mix (herbs)
Baking dish
Oven
Patience

(Lasagna Sauce)
Loose the meat, add copious amounts of this "Italian mix '* to it. Until the meat begins to look a little green. In the meanwhile, cut the peppers finely and throw it in with the meat, when that’s done.
Cut the bananas in the length, in half, then crosswise into slices of 0.5-1cm thick.
(The mango into thin strips of about 2 cm.)
The pineapple slices (1cm²), do not discard the pineapple juice.
-Musical interlude
Preheat the oven - 190 degrees
-End-interlude
Add the ingredients in this order, with 2 minutes in between; pineapple, half of the banana (, the mango), the other half of the bananas. Add the pineapple juice and a little tomato sauce (canned) or better ** 2 peeled and crushed tomatoes.

(Béchamelsaus)
As you let the lasagna simmer on low heat and let spices draw into it ... You can make the bechamel sauce. Fill a cup with 2 tbsp cornflour and add some milk. Stir until most lumps are gone. Fill a saucepan with this mix, and add the remaining milk. Also, add some drops of olive oil to it. Keep stirring, constantly, leave it not a moment out of sight, it has a tendency to boil, which you can not allow. When the sauce begins to thicken you can add the grated cheese.

When it is finished you can put the lasagnasauce in the dish, with a layer of lasagna sauce first, then sheets, sauce, sheets, etc. ending with a layer of sauce. Add the béchamel to the top.

Now for the oven part, 30 minutes should be enough. Check the progress every 6 to 7 minutes if all goes well. Note; from experience, I noticed that a lot ovens are slightly hotter or cooler than they “say”, this can make a difference for anything between 20 and 40 minutes. So keep checking!

Change quantities and varieties to taste. Garlic is not really a great variety (in this recipe) for my taste, but of course this differs per person.

*I use: 30% oregano, 25% basil, 25% tarragon, 10% thyme, 5% rosemary and 5% parsley.
** Put the tomatoes in hot / almost-boiling water. Get them out of there after about 5 minutes. Remove the skin, and the stem.
P.S. Not everyone appreciates mango, hence the brackets. It is also not required, but a variation people around me used.

Pineapple, banana and mango in a lasagne! The horror!

Interesting recipe anyway.

I always just buy a packet of white sauce or a jar of it for lasagne making. I'm lazy. It's quite tricky to get right for novices (goes lumpy).

I really should post some more simple recipes since I started the thread...

Top Bottom