Pots and pans

Ooh, I've not seen one of those before. Quite cheap as well. But it's American. So the same here would cost twice as much. Not that cheap, then.

I don't want to end up on any lists either, so I will not even mention this device by its name. /s Totally forgot about those (as well as the deep friers and a couple other things), so thanks for bringing all those up.

I own a slow cooker and use it on occasion. I also have a wok which still looks sort of new, but the cover for it smashed into many pieces a long time ago, which is too bad. It's got some sort of a teflon-like surface, but it's held up surprisingly well over the years. I guess I might as well keep the thing.

Right! I have an electric stove, or whatever they're called:

Most important thing there is to make sure to get pans with flat bottoms to maximize surface contact. I've got a few pans that are just slightly warped, but it makes them terrible on flat top ranges since they basically have only three tiny points of contact.

For best results should probably also avoid pans with ridged bottoms and look for cast iron that's either smooth or enameled on the bottom. (Like mine.)

Onejayhawk already mentioned ceramic non-stick cookwear.

That was me. :run:

Dude i hope this isn't your dinner!
..and bro, that bacon is very fatty.

About half of it went in with some multigrain pasta/kale/mushrooms/onion.

Wasn't very fatty after cooking.

Nearly done:

Spoiler :

Fat removed:

Spoiler :

I also have a wok which still looks sort of new, but the cover for it smashed into many pieces a long time ago, which is too bad. It's got some sort of a teflon-like surface, but it's held up surprisingly well over the years. I guess I might as well keep the thing.

Wok is probably the worst thing you can have non-stick, so much wok cooking depends on high heats that non-stick can't do.

We went in and for some strange reason, price probably, as well as the finish of the non-stick which seemed really nice, we bought the set. We were in the mood for nonstick, and our non stick All Clad omelet pan had died what I thought was an untimely death for a pan that was over $100.

Quiz

Q: What is the one common kitchen item that should NEVER be washed?

A properly used pressure cooker is not dangerous. The key is proper use. If you over fill one or cook something that clogs the steam vents, that sort of thing can happen. Read the manual. There are a lot of safety features built into a modern pressure cooker, but there is no such thing as idiot proof.

A: The weight for a pressure cooker. Nothing in a kitchen will clean and sterilize better than pressurized steam. Using soap could conceivably clog it.

J

(note: I didn't read all 66 posts since the opening post, though I did read warpus's)

I'm by no means a cookware enthusiast, but I cook fairly often and didn't spend a fortune on pots and pans - probably less than $150 total. And it's served me well.

My preferred materials are stainless steel and cast iron. Stainless steel is inexpensive and great for general-purpose cooking - most things you'd make on the stove for dinner do well in stainless steel. It's also pretty low-maintenance. It isn't the best at distributing heat evenly, but that doesn't always matter. I have 1, 2, 3.2, and 8 quart pots in stainless steel. The first three are my go-to cooking vessels, the last I use for larger recipes like chili. In retrospect, 1, 2, 4, and 6 would probably have been more ideal sizes. But you don't need everything under the rainbow - four sizes is probably sufficient, and maybe toss in an extra 1 or 2 quart one if you tend to cook several small things at once.

I also have one stainless steel skillet. But my other skillet is cast iron, and my griddle is cast iron. The big advantage for cast iron is that it's virtually non-stick. So if I make pancakes, I always make them on cast iron. Likewise for grilled cheese sandwiches. Both of them also benefit from the very even heat distribution that cast iron has, but stainless steel does not. For items like browning meat or sauteeing vegetables, I use the stainless steel, as it's lower maintenance and those don't stick enough to be an issue. Cast iron does have an advantage in that pretty much any cast iron skillet is oven safe, so you can also bake in it. I usually bake cornbread in my cast iron skillet, but it can be used for other items, too. I'd probably go with one large stainless steel skillet (12-inch probably, I think mine's 10, and it's a bit smaller than ideal for some dishes), a cast iron griddle of appropriate size for your preferred grilled foods, and optionally also a cast iron skillet. I've gone with the made-in-North-America-but-not-super-expensive Lodge Logic cast iron skillets, and they've done well so far. Target carries them in the U.S., among other stores (but if you buy at Target, I'd recommend not using a credit card).

I'm also skeptical of teflon, and haven't bought any myself. While it's generally recognized as safe, it's also documented that it isn't entirely safe when pushed outside of its recommended range. I like that I can preheat my cast iron griddle before making pancakes without worry, even if I forget about it and it gets really hot, whereas preheating teflon in a similar manner may degrade the teflon and be unhealthy. Between stainless steel and cast iron, I haven't missed teflon.

I wouldn't recommend buying a whole set at once. In part because it will likely cost more, but as importantly because it will take up more space and there will probably be at least a few pieces you end up using rarely if at all. Not that there isn't a place for more specialized pieces of cookware like double boilers. But you can buy that as you need it.

I don't know a whole lot about which brands are great. My relatively inexpensive cookware probably isn't as good as what my mom has had for 40+ years and that still looks great. But that was also more expensive, probably even before accounting for inflation. So you probably can get higher quality by spending more. But I don't know enough to recommend which brands are likely to be worth it, versus just more expensive because they're more prestigious.

I've never liked the notion of having what amounts to a bomb in the kitchen. YMMV.

All it takes is a clogged or defective bleed valve.

This idea is well out of date! (Not even I am this out of touch.)

Modern pressure cookers have, in my experience, three safety features. The normal valve that maintains/regulates pressure under normal conditions, a safety valve consisting of a ball-bearing in a rubber housing, and a kind of cut-out pocket for the sealing ring to expand into.

All this means that my pressure cooker can be a bit of nuisance in operation. Though a safe nuisance. Also the sealing ring seems designed to fail under load, which seems to mean they don't last as long as they used to. Which is a pain.

I'd rather have an autoclave. But at £1,000, these are out of my league.

(Btw, the pressure cooker in your video isn't exploding like a bomb. That's the effect of it's third order safety valve, and will be the very worst that ever happens with your pressure cooker. Should you ever be bold, or brave, enough to consider using one, that is. Mind you, you could turn a pressure cooker into a bomb. If you tried very very hard to do so. Filling it with ball bearings and explosives.)

This idea is well out of date! (Not even I am this out of touch.)
Despite accidents continuing to occur, even with the most modern pressure cookers?

All of those videos I posted are less than a year old.

All this means that my pressure cooker can be a bit of nuisance in operation. Though a safe nuisance. Also the sealing ring seems designed to fail under load, which seems to mean they don't last as long as they used to. Which is a pain.
Even if it works as intended instead of failing to do so, it also means that your kitchen will probably be sprayed with the contents of the pot.

I really see no reason to pressure cook, especially given what might occur. YMMV.

I'll stick to my pressure cooker. I've been using them for more than the last 40 years. Thanks for the advice, all the same.

With regard to the glass/ steel lid question, having both for the large deep frying pan is a bonus. Since sizes tend to be standard keep one of your old lids. Being able to have a glass lid for general use but another if you want to put it in the oven is great. And butlers friend/ barman friend etc are great for ss, getting off anything the dishwasher can't cope with.

What are you going to do with 3 brooms? :huh:

Three brooms are handy. I wouldn't sweep my front hall or the kitchen with the same broom I use to sweep up cat litter.

Three brooms are handy. I wouldn't sweep my front hall or the kitchen with the same broom I use to sweep up cat litter.

Yep, absolutely. Dedicated pan and whisk broom for that chore! Then you have the big honkin' broom you use to sweep out the garage or push a light snow aside from the sidewalk. And then your standard normal upright broom for everything else.

Yep, absolutely. Dedicated pan and whisk broom for that chore! Then you have the big honkin' broom you use to sweep out the garage or push a light snow aside from the sidewalk. And then your standard normal upright broom for everything else.
Well, I don't have a garage anymore, and no snow shoveling responsibilities unless I want to keep snow off my balcony. The problem is that the building manager here said I can't sweep anything off my balcony, but am welcome to vacuum it up.

Even so, I keep a broom on the balcony, because of snow and because the angle of my balcony means the wind often blows all kinds of dust, leaves, and stuff onto it. I somehow acquired a kid's toy windmill in the last windstorm.

I have zero brooms, can't think of why I'd need any.

Vacuum for house, shopvac for garage, shovel for outside.

Garage gets too many leaves in it for me to make sucking them up efficient. Push broom fast, convenient, and superior with significant debris. Shopvac with a good new filter on it is the best way to get between the cracks in a house with an old hardwood floor but it's more work to set up and do than a quick spin with the broom is. I'm with ya on the shovel thing though. Bought a grain shovel for snow removal. Doubles as a clumsy ice pick.

If all you get is like a 1/4 - 1" of snow, it's really not worth getting the shovel out. A big push broom does great. I think it has a 36" head on it and it has brutal hard and thick plastic bristles. I'll take a pic tonight if y'all are seriously interested.

If all you get is like a 1/4 - 1" of snow, it's really not worth getting the shovel out. A big push broom does great. I think it has a 36" head on it and it has brutal hard and thick plastic bristles. I'll take a pic tonight if y'all are seriously interested.

I love me my push brooms. They're great.

Top Bottom