SGOTM 15 - One Short Straw

'Nanas to the SW.
Spoiler :

Nothing much to see in Toku land.
Spoiler :

Here is your Session Turn Log from 3560 BC to 3280 BC:
Spoiler :

Turn 11, 3560 BC: Hinduism has been founded in Delhi!
Turn 11, 3560 BC: Gandhi converts to Hinduism!

Turn 14, 3440 BC: Barbarian's Lion (2.00) vs Gandhi's Warrior (3.20)
Turn 14, 3440 BC: Combat Odds: 4.4%
Turn 14, 3440 BC: (Animal Combat: +10%)
Turn 14, 3440 BC: (Plot Defense: +50%)
Turn 14, 3440 BC: Gandhi's Warrior is hit for 15 (85/100HP)
Turn 14, 3440 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 25 (75/100HP)
Turn 14, 3440 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 25 (50/100HP)
Turn 14, 3440 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 25 (25/100HP)
Turn 14, 3440 BC: Gandhi's Warrior is hit for 15 (70/100HP)
Turn 14, 3440 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 25 (0/100HP)
Turn 14, 3440 BC: Gandhi's Warrior has defeated Barbarian's Lion!

Turn 16, 3360 BC: You are the worst enemy of Tokugawa, Hammuragawa.

Turn 18, 3280 BC: Delhi will grow to size 2 on the next turn.

@LC There are a ton of signs showing where the settlers were each turn. Feel free to delete them. There was only one turn that I couldn't see Hamuragawa's settler near the gems.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 255
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 263
Thanks,

I was afraid I had to make a mod to ini file or something

Depending on which version of Civ you're running, you may have to use a different .dll file.

You should also change your .ini file to automatically save every turn just in case the game crashes while you're playing.

Code:
; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves.  0 means no autosave.
AutoSaveInterval = 1

Thanks,

I was afraid I had to make a mod to ini file or something
Oops. :blush:
I forgot to mention that. Sorry.

You're supposed to set the autosave interval to 1, in case of crashes during your turnset - it should be in My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV.ini

The entries to change are:
Code:
; The maximum number of autosaves kept in the directory before being deleted.
MaxAutoSaves = 50

AutoSaveInterval = 1

The first one just has to be larger than the length of a turnset (I think the default is 10); the last one should be 1 (instead of the default 4).

GOT IT!

Superlative turnset, Mitchum! Very well done on keeping our warrior alive. It was treacherous out there.

Lots to study tomorrow. Please remember to upload the saves. Toku gained some score and we need to try to figure out what he researched. He has a mountain in the fog 2N of his city center. Mabye we can't get to the other side of him without DoW?!? Or just an isolated mountain. Looks like our western warrior will defog the coastal tiles around gems just in the nick of time!

EDIT: Oops, you already uploaded the saves... :blush:

Well played, Mitchum!

Look at that wall of mountains to the north of Kyoto.
I suspect we have to go through Hammi's bowmen or Toku's river-hill-protective Archers to get to the rest of the world.

Early Construction, anyone?

You're supposed to set the autosave interval to 1, in case of crashes during your turnset - it should be in My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV.ini

The entries to change are:
Code:
MaxAutoSaves = 50

AutoSaveInterval = 1

The first one just has to be larger than the length of a turnset (I think the default is 10); the last one should be 1 (instead of the default 4).

K cool. Thanks! Making the mod now.

Ummm I have to change a DLL?

Ummm I have to change a DLL?

As ZPV said, if you can open the SGOTM or any GOTM save, you should be fine. If you open the real save for this game, just be sure that you don't do any irreversible moves.

If you can't open the save we can help you get the right .dll file. When I used to play by e-mail (PBEM), I had to switch back and forth between two .dll files depending on what game I was playing. Hopefully you won't have that issue.

As ZPV said, if you can open the SGOTM or any GOTM save, you should be fine. If you open the real save for this game, just be sure that you don't do any irreversible moves.

If you can't open the save we can help you get the right .dll file. When I used to play by e-mail (PBEM), I had to switch back and forth between two .dll files depending on what game I was playing. Hopefully you won't have that issue.

Thanks I'll find out now.... I think I'll look for some old save

Lots to study tomorrow. Please remember to upload the saves. Toku gained some score and we need to try to figure out what he researched.

The turn he learned something, global population didn't change, and global power went up by 2. It could be Mining or AH (or Sailing, or a 0 power tech) - and the AI will do either of those things with a worker.

The turn he learned something, global population didn't change, and global power went up by 2. It could be Mining or AH (or Sailing, or a 0 power tech) - and the AI will do either of those things with a worker.
Well, if we can't figure it out this turn, maybe next turn. We're 3:espionage: short of seeing his graphs. We should be able to figure out how much he's putting into research, I think.

Looks like I'm all set. Thanks all

Holy crap, guys! I missed a lot in half a day. :lol:

LC is up, which I guess he already knows.

ROSTER

bbp Played 1t: T0-1
Mitch Played 17t: T1-18
Dhoom swap
LC UP
ZPV ON DECK
beestar
magnus

LowtherCastle said:
Holy cities don't give religious sight in BtS
Hmmm, I'm not sure if it's in Warlords or BtS (and perhaps in both), but don't you get Religious sight if you have the Holy Shrine inside of your Holy City?

If yes, then the Mahabodhi guy would have met everyone, right?

LowtherCastle said:
ZPV, do animals avoid going on the tiles next to cultural borders?
Animals completely avoid going into Cultural Borders and will be booted out of Cultural Borders if the borders expand, but Animals can and will walk next to Cultural Borders.

Is there code that reduces the chances of Animals going near to Cultural Borders? Maybe... that part I'm not sure about.

I forget if auto save is the end of the turn or the beginning of the turn.
Autosaves happen at the beginning of our turn from our perspective and with the saved game date of the beginning of the turn. That said, you'll see all of the requests that the AIs made on their previous turn appearing in an autosave--those things don't get processed until the beginning of your turn but it can certainly be confusing if you remember the wrong detail (i.e. if you focus on remembering the AIs asking you things instead of simply remembering that the game is saved at the very beginning of the turn).

MaxAutoSaves = 50
I don't have Civ to check, but one of -1 or 0 will let you have all of the autosaves available from 4000 BC until the end of the game, at least until you load a different game.

I'm a bit uncertain as to where we should be settling... for example, should that Dry Corn be saved for a potential City to the west of Toku's area? We won't really know for sure where to put a City there until we see the Coast to the west of Toku.

If we used the Corn + Sheep + Gold, on the other hand, we'd have Deer + Cow for another (relatively junky due to the Peaks) City.

Similarly, in the west, an opportunity now exists to go 1S onto the Grassland Banana, in order to see if settling on top of the Banana would give us another seafood Resource (and potentially a pretty decent Great Person Farm) or if that piece of Coast barren and thus we'd probably settle for Banana + Crab + Marble... but we'd possibly settle Banana + Gem and leave Crab + Marble for a southern City, to get more Grassland Hills out of the bargain (instead of settling on top of a Grassland Hills square like we'd need to do in order to get Banana + Crab + Marble + shared Corn).

I'm a bit afraid of that Wolf, though. However, if we are on top of a Resource, are we immune to Barb Animals? Or can they still attack someone that is standing on a Resource?

As long as we can't be attacked by moving onto the Grassland Banana, I'd suggest moving there with Warrior 2 next, just to give us a more complete picture for settling purposes.

Do recall that any City that an AI settles will either get captured by us or will be something that we have to leave in AI hands (or maybe gift back to an AI, which could be a reason to leave an AI with one City later--to temporarily give them back some junky Cities after handicapping them (whipping the Cities to death), so that we won't pay the Maintenance Costs in the long run and can probably only face Archers upon recapturing the Cities later.

I think that one benefit is that we can capture a newly-founded AI City without the normal requirement of waiting until an AI City is Size 2 before we can capture it without auto-razing it.

Note that it was Civ 3, not Civ 4, that allowed a Cultural Border expansion to avoid the auto-razing functionality; here, a City is only not auto-razed if it at one point grew to Size 2... with a possible exception for no auto-razing under the game's current setting of No City Razing, but I'm not sure... testing whether or not a newly-built AI City that we capture will get auto-razed would be a nice thing for a volunteer to do. :)

@Dhoom:
Animals will attack our units which are adjacent to owned territory, but if they are just patrolling (i.e. the rest of the time), they will avoid tiles adjacent to owned territory completely if they can (for code reasons).

Animals (wolves) will attack our units, even if
a) Our unit is on a resource, or
b) The wolf/panther has to move through a resource to attack our unit

Religious sight does not exist in BtS. It was replaced by an espionage bonus.

Cow+Deer+several hills would still be a good production city (and it looks like we'll need one/some of those). You don't need 20 tiles until well into the industrial era, at the earliest.

Yes, in Civ4, a culture pop doesn't prevent a city being autorazed. The game settings here do, of course.

Pre-Play Plan

T18 questions:
1. Delhi MM: More hammers or more food? What is our goal? 2 settlers asap? Test.
2. Exploration: What additional info do we want for T20 deciding our next tech?
3. Toku warrior: More defogging NE? More info on Gold CIty? Focus on worker steal? What info can we glean about Toku's research and production now and after we get his graphs?

As far as I can tell, Warrior1 NW NW gives the maximum info around the gems area by T20:

Moving NW onto the forest is reasonably safe. The lion and wolf might have died trying to eat the scouts anyway. If we survive the first NW, then the second NW should be safe unless the land continues to the west, in which case it will depend on Warrior1's health. Warrior2 comes in 2-3t so warrior1 will be able to double back and defog the banana coastal tile missed above.

Attachments

• SG15 T18 max Gems defog.jpg
    SG15 T18 max Gems defog.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 267
I don't know exactly what that image means.... but its beautiful

Top Bottom