War Chariot & Elephant Animations Not Working

dragonpunch

Chieftain
Please tell me how to enable animations for War Chariot & War Elephant. I really like these two units a lot. What files/folders do I need to edit/comment/delete in order to enable these animations?

I was able to tweak basic items like trenches, guerrella, targeting promotions, and unlimited barbarian xp to my liking, but can't figure out what to edit/delete to make those animations work.

Units belonging to new unit categories - such as mounted archers - are unable to have animations, without access to the core files.

As albie mentioned I would do this if it were possible, but sadly it's not with our current modding tools. The alternative is vanilla bugs like how stables don't improve production of all mounted units. That affects gameplay, while the animation problem does not.

So if animations are enabled, it screws up the stables? That's... really strange.

I was able to enable the animations for mounted archers.

1. Just go to this folder "C:\...\MODS\Unofficial Patch and Vanilla Enhanced (v 141)\CiVUP_CivVUnofficialPatch\Core"

2. Then open the file called CiVUP_General.sql with notepad.

3. Then put /* before and */ after the following lines as shown below.
/*UPDATE Units
SET CombatClass = 'UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTED_ARCHER'
WHERE CombatClass = 'UNITCOMBAT_ARCHER' AND Class NOT IN (
'UNITCLASS_ARCHER',
'UNITCLASS_CROSSBOWMAN'
);*/

4. However as Thal said and also I noticed in the game, this causes stable to not increase production of some mounted units which I think is a very small bug. I much rather prefer the animations than such a small bug. The stables are supposed to increase production of mounted units by only 10%. So I don't AT ALL mind it. Stables are still quite useful without that feature as well. Animations are a lot more important than the tiny-muny-not-gonna-miss small-bug.

Removing the mounted archer unit class changes:

• Mongolia's trait
  • Keshiks
  • Stables
  • Temple of Artemis
For example, Mongolia's chariots and keshiks won't get a movement bonus. There might be other things such a change would affect.

Thanks for the details Thal, I didn't know all that, I'm just a noob. I think mounted archer animations are not worth it now with so many things getting affected.

BTW, does anyone know when this thing called game core is being released?

A year ago Firaxis said they'd release the game core in a "few months"... from that time... so who knows. :crazyeye:

I'll explain the problem here in more detail. Each unit (archer, crossbow, longbow) belongs to a combat class: archers, soldiers, siege, etc. Firaxis created these combat classes:

Foot melee
Foot ranged
Mounted melee
Mounted ranged
Ship melee
Ship ranged

Originally mounted ranged were grouped in the "mounted melee" class. This caused weird situations like chariot archers (but not foot archers) getting ranged-attack penalties against spearmen.

So Firaxis moved them to the "foot ranged" class. That solved the spearman problem, but caused other problems. Anything that gave bonuses to "mounted melee" like Mongolia's +1:c5moves: to "mounted" units, no longer affected mounted archers like chariots and keshiks. These mounted units were now classified as footmen, instead of mounted.

The obvious solution is to fill in the missing "mounted archer" combat class. I did that, but then discovered our current modding tools can't assign attack animations to new combat classes. The animation thing is purely visual, while the other problems described above affect gameplay, so I decided to fix the gameplay issues and just live with the visual oddity.

Some things do eventually happen! Just look at Duke Nukem Forever, which after many long years finally turned from vaporware into... well... nevermind. :lol:

A year ago Firaxis said they'd release the game core in a "few months"... from that time... so who knows. :crazyeye:

I'll explain the problem here in more detail. Each unit (archer, crossbow, longbow) belongs to a combat class: archers, soldiers, siege, etc. Firaxis created these combat classes:

Foot melee
Foot archers
Mounted melee
Mounted archers

Originally mounted archers were grouped in the "mounted melee" class. This caused weird situations like chariot archers (but not foot archers) getting ranged-attack penalties against spearmen.

So Firaxis moved them to the "foot archer" class. That solved the spearman problem, but caused other problems. Anything that gave bonuses to "mounted melee" like Mongolia's +1:c5moves: to "mounted" units, no longer affected mounted archers like chariots and keshiks. These mounted units were now classified as footmen, instead of mounted.

The obvious solution is to fill in the missing "mounted archer" combat class. I did that, but then discovered our current modding tools have can't assign attack animations to new combat classes. The animation thing is purely visual, while the other problems described above affect gameplay, so I decided to fix the gameplay issues and just live with the visual oddity.

Strange.. I ask myself, why couldn't Firaxis just create a seperate Mounted Archer Class? I mean, cause it only makes sense.

I started to play as Egyptians with freshly installed v144.6, but forgot to underscore Quickcombat file to enable all combat animation. So I saved my game, quit CiV, renamed the file and fired up my save. My War Chariots still do not have combat animation. Neither do Greek Chariot Archers if I noticed correctly.

Also, My War Chariots were dealing more damage to cities than units most of the time, when they were supposed to deal less damage to cities than to units.

Note that mounted ranged units are unable to have combat animations to fix a bug in vanilla. The was discussion in another thread I can't recall.

Is it gonna get fixed sometime soon? To me, its like a calculator that can do everything but multiply 2 by 2.

Is it gonna get fixed sometime soon? To me, its like a calculator that can do everything but multiply 2 by 2.

Thal can't fix it, as it's broken in the base game, so there's no timeline as to when Firaxis would fix the problem. Hopefully it's fixed in G&K.

Top Bottom