Natural Wonders

Thorburne

Centurion
I am glad that Natural Wonders are in Civilization VI. They were mechanic from Civilization V that I found a nice addition (though not necessary). My only problem was there was hardly any of them. We have a list of available NWs in VI (so far):

• Cliffs of Dover
  • Crater Lake
  • Great Barrier Reef*
  • Mount Everest
  • Mount Kilimanjaro*
  • Pantanal
  • Torres del Paine
  • Tsingy de Bemaraha

*Carry overs from Civilization V

That said, there are some more from V that I would like to see carry over:

• Rock of Gibralter
  • Barringer Crater
  • Mt. Fuji
  • Mt. Sinai
  • Old Faithful

Finally, with the above lists, there are more that I would like to see included for variation, flavor, and substance. For me, that list is:

• Mt. Olympus
  • Mount Vesuvius (or Mt. Etna)
  • Devils tower
  • Viti in Askja**
  • Old Man in the Mountain***

**A Volcanic Crater Hot spring in Iceland

***A personal bias for me. It doesn't exist anymore since the rock formation collapsed, but I have been there and seen it and it is a bit of a homage for me. I doubt it would make the cut.

Are there any natural wonders that anybody else would like to see, either carried over from Civilization V or completely new to Civilization?

I would like to see the Galápagos Islands as multiple tiles natural wonders off a coast (with perhaps a flat land tile in the middle, so you could build a holy site on it if you so chooses). It would up the low count of ocean natural wonders.

It could give extra science, for all the research that goes on around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find natural wonders are a great idea, but their choice in Civ V was quite poor... I mean, the natural wonder is an exceptional terrain because of its physical properties, and not because it looks beautiful and/or people associate it with some religious rituals, like Mount Sinai. In this regard, the Great Barrier Reef, Kilimanjaro and Uluru from Civ V fit very well. Gibraltar is kind of meh, as well as Barringer Crater and Old Faithful, and a whole lot of mountains like Sinai and Sri Pada are nothing better than other ones.

Everest is ok because it is the largest, Kilimanjaro is special due to its shape, Uluru as well, and your Devils Tower too. Other mountains? I could probably suggest Matterhorn, but then it is somewhat similar to Fuji in that it is very picturesque but again, it is not very different to Torres del Paine they have now. I would rather like to see Lake Baikal and the Dead Sea.

Edit: Another thing, we have now NWs in shapes lakes, mountains, reefs, swamps... would be great to extend this list to smth like rivers (Saarschleife?) or islands (Galapagos, Azores or something like that). Would be nice to have some oasis or some water source in the middle of a desert too.

I miss Lake Victoria and its huge food bonus. Also the Uluru would be nice to return.

They are hundreds of places that could be added. Just two I think would be especially great for me: Iguacu and the Okavango Delta. Although I understand both would probably give just Food. I disliked Solomo's Mines and its production boost in Civ 5 and the Cerro Potosi and its Gold bonus too.

One thing that I missed with natural wonders in V is that they don't give a tourism bonus in the late game while most of them are big tourist sights in reality.

There are other formats natural wonders should materialize as, for example what about major rivers? The Amazon, Nile or Mississippi could provide unique bonuses and interesting movement costs in order to cross. The Marianas Trench could provide a scientific bonus.

There are other formats natural wonders should materialize as, for example what about major rivers? The Amazon, Nile or Mississippi could provide unique bonuses and interesting movement costs in order to cross. The Marianas Trench could provide a scientific bonus.

+1
and small Islands can be more unique (giving different bonus/conditions) too.

One thing I had hoped for was a distinction between Holy Mountains and Natural Wonders. I would like Holy Mountain to come into play very early, and give you mostly faith and possibly culture to help establish a religion. Uluru, Sri Pada, Mount Kailash, Mount Sinai and Killimanjaro all fit in this category.

Proper Natural Wonders should come into play later and only be revealed around some techs like biology or geology around industrial era (a bit like archeology reveals dig sites). This would be stuff like Great Barrier Reef, Old Faithfull, Grand Canion, Galapagos, Victoria Falls, etc. These would provide science and tourism yield mostly, plus some culture or gold or food. This would make a nice incentive for some later game exploration/expansion bursts.

I'm surprised they never put in The Grand Canyon, as it is one of the most obvious ones.

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

I'm glad they are more diverse this time. The geographical spread of the Natural Wonders was terrible, specially in vanilla, and most of them were mountains...

Since multi-tiles, passable Natural Wonders are a thing, it'd be nice to see "wondrous" forests, rainforests, deserts, maybe even plains and grasslands.

But, to be honest, in terms of yields and bonuses, the Natural Wonders are looking a bit too simple.

One thing I had hoped for was a distinction between Holy Mountains and Natural Wonders. I would like Holy Mountain to come into play very early, and give you mostly faith and possibly culture to help establish a religion. Uluru, Sri Pada, Mount Kailash, Mount Sinai and Killimanjaro all fit in this category.

Proper Natural Wonders should come into play later and only be revealed around some techs like biology or geology around industrial era (a bit like archeology reveals dig sites). This would be stuff like Great Barrier Reef, Old Faithfull, Grand Canion, Galapagos, Victoria Falls, etc. These would provide science and tourism yield mostly, plus some culture or gold or food. This would make a nice incentive for some later game exploration/expansion bursts.

+1
This idea is pretty brilliant. It never made sense to me how my ancient people with barely any writing system get research points from the geyser or coral reef. I can understand holy mountains or food bonus from lake victoria but those... There should be two categories of natural wonders - those which are uncovered and usable right in the beginning, for initial primitive cultures, and those which are uncovered/possible to use similarly to archeological sites, only in industrial/modern era.

I like natural wonders very much, and the exploration is most interesting and realistic

and there are some wonders of civ5 I want to see back:

Uluru
Rock of Gibraltar
Mt. Fuji
Krakatoa

And no El Dorado, please

And others I would like to see incremented:

Dead Sea
Farafra
Iguazu Falls
Lake Titicaca
Niagara Falls
White Island

The addition of middle/late game bonusses from a natural wonder is a good idea. But it is unrealistic to have these wonders be revealed on a trigger like a tech. They are to big to miss, so once you have explored the area the wonders should be revealed.
Imagine that a Grand Canyon is located within 10 tiles of your capital, an area which your units have crossed a dozen times but never seen the 2 or 3 tile canyon. Then the geology tech is researched, and a unit looks over his shoulder and suddenly sees this beautiful Grand Canyon...:huh:
So an additional science or production or tourism once the appropriate tech is researched is a better mechanic.

A few possible natural wonders:

The addition of middle/late game bonusses from a natural wonder is a good idea. But it is unrealistic to have these wonders be revealed on a trigger like a tech. They are to big to miss, so once you have explored the area the wonders should be revealed.
Imagine that a Grand Canyon is located within 10 tiles of your capital, an area which your units have crossed a dozen times but never seen the 2 or 3 tile canyon. Then the geology tech is researched, and a unit looks over his shoulder and suddenly sees this beautiful Grand Canyon...:huh:
So an additional science or production or tourism once the appropriate tech is researched is a better mechanic.

A few possible natural wonders:
That is a great idea. I also agree about the tourism. A lot of great ideas for natural wonders.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised they never put in The Grand Canyon, as it is one of the most obvious ones.

Me too, seeing they introduced canyons in the civ serie with BE, I was expecting them to be featured in Civ6.

Top Bottom