New Unit: Pietone (February 14, 2005)

utahjazz7

Deity
Happy Valentine's Day! Uh, no, this is not a gift for "someone special" here at CFC. From what I've been told, this is some sort of Northern Italian footman. LouLong will have to fill in more information though. As requested, this unit comes with a build road and a build fortress animation.

Pietone

Wow..first reply! This one looks absolutely fabulous!

He looks cool.... But that big shield is just begging for a symbol of some kind.

Very cool unit The weapon is sweet, and I love the attack. I agree with the shield begging for some sort of design, but it doesn't detract from the unit. Good job :D

Wow! Nice work, utah. But once again, I'll have to wait for Lou to post before I have a clue how to implement this great graphic... Heck, I feel like giving him to an Islamic civ just because his hat sort of looks like a turban wrapped around a helmet...almost. ;)

Kinboat said:
He looks cool.... But that big shield is just begging for a symbol of some kind.

Only two. I was wondering how many posts it would take for someone to mention the plain shield. ;) I thought about putting something on it, but I had no idea what. The concept art only showed the inside of the shield, so I thought it best to just leave it bare metal. And I think it has a quality all its own. :)

utahjazz7 said:
Only two. I was wondering how many posts it would take for someone to mention the plain shield. ;) I thought about putting something on it, but I had no idea what. The concept art only showed the inside of the shield, so I thought it best to just leave it bare metal. And I think it has a quality all its own. :)
Spikes, as someone mentioned would be great. My first thought, when trying to keep it simple, was to add bolts or rivets or something along the edge or maybe even in a " + " symbol, showing the iron working used to construct a large creation. A simple shallow cone in the middle would work well also.

Excellent work even as is though! :thumbsup:

Love that weapon. Nice to something other than spears and swords for a change.

Fanatastic! Is this your standard model Utah? If not, make it so. Everything about it (includung the proportions) are great.
While the shield looks like a giant metalic egg, I'm glad you didn't put anything on it in this case, cause I think he could double as turkish medieval infantry (although, they still could use a janisasary..). And muchas gracias for giving a weapon we haven't seen before.

Well, this is my standard model only in that it's the one I'm using now. It's actually Kinboat's creation. He's just kind enough to share it with all of the unit creators.

This is the paperdoll, I'm afraid. Let's see, the blue part of his pants comes from the "Taim Suit," and I modeled the rest.

If, I might ask, what looks so different about it? I mean, you mentioned the proportions earlier, but if you're more specific, then I can try to keep these proportions in the future while making custom clothing.

The Pietone's arms have a buldging quality to them, but I guess thats just the shirt. The other thing that seemed different from the paperdoll is the width of this unit: kinboats doll is a stocky fellow. But this unit might just seem skinnier because part of his body is obscured by the shield.
What should you keep about it? The height is good, the feet are standard with the doll I guess, but I like the size of them (some of your previous units foot size has been small, or rather, firaxis' have been big). His head size, probably due to the helmet, looks good at civ scale too. Biggest thing is the height, though. I'm kinda anal when it comes to unit size.
And don't get me wrong, I love the paper doll. You just usually make your own models.
And if loulong would come around, I'd be interested to know what pietone means in italian.

very cool; a burgundian, and Lombard league trooper, IIRC :D

Oops ! I had overlooked its release !

Nice job. Albeit I must say at this scale (by opposition to the large-size preview) he looks a bit plain (armor, shield) maybe because the arms's colors are a bit close to the shining iron... especially since it was actually a colourful unit in the picture I posted. But no big deal !

@Kal-El : southpaw ? What is it ?
Having a good time in the army BTW ?

Overall a welcome unit. And as most say an original one, with worker's animation !

Thank you !

Top Bottom