Panzer 38(t) and Panzer II

sharick

Warlord
UPDATE (25.03.06)
Animatons, sounds and effects working for Panzer II and Panzer 38(t). They are from vanilla tank.

Things you need to change in CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml:
Scale:
0.5 is recommended for main and interface but it's up to you.
Animations:
<KFM>Art/Units/YourUnitFolder/panzer2.kfm</KFM>
Sounds:
<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
<AudioRunSounds>
<AudioRunTypeLoop>LOOPSTEP_TANK</AudioRunTypeLoop>
<AudioRunTypeEnd>ENDSTEP_TANK</AudioRunTypeEnd>
</AudioRunSounds>
<SelectionSound>AS3D_UN_TANK_FORT</SelectionSound>
<ActionSound>AS3D_UN_TANK_FORT</ActionSound>

Enjoy and please report any bugs.

Old post
I know I said I'll make other units next but everyone keep asking for german panzers. So I planned to release a lot of new panzers today but ran into unexpected troubles. I'll tell you so you can sympathize with poor me.
While I had a lot of fun modeling these tanks, texturing was just a world of pain. I followed Rabbit, White's advice and cut texture size in half. A lot of squeezing and fixing lost details.
Next I had to find out how to make Photoshop's DDS plugins work with Paint Shop Pro because I don't like working with Gimp.
After that how to properly set up an alpha channel and When I finally wanted to export my texture I discovered a cool new feature - generate mipmaps. I can hear you saying "you didn't know?". No I didn't. I spent some time reading about it and it's actually very usefull.
Anyway I learnt a lot of stuff during this weekend.
Enjoy!

Panzer38(t) / Polygon count

Panzer II / Polygon count / Animations

Next: I'll just finish the panzers - III, IV, Marder, StuG.

Attachments

• panzer2.zip
    89.9 KB · Views: 568
  • p38t.zip
    89.4 KB · Views: 560
As perfect as allways. Very nice. Besides, I can only remember you saying you'd release these two models by sunday evening - and you did so. Anyways, its well worth waiting for such great design...

Hopefully I'll learn how to do something half as good sometime...

Oh yeah, I guess the 'womb-thing' will start again now...:lol:

Hi Sharick,

Having just viewed your reply at the "Tiger" post, I wanted to congratulate you on this Panzer series. They're really all stellar models, and (having enjoyed all of the Civ-franchise titles) I think you may opn up the very first-ever complete Panzer upgrade tree.

As major general-use models go, we're really only missing the Panzer III now.

Again, thanks for the hard work. We modders have our work cut out for us now.

First post again, my second one!
EDIT: ??? Damn...

I guess mipmaps have something to do with the civ-colouring?

You, as snarko & nautil, are all now upgraded into semi-gods into the halls of Valhalla :D

If you can start making wheatherstorms & such, like Zeus or Nautilus, then you will become fully-fledged gods.

These are simply awesome. You're really starting to set the bar high.

I've only been back at my house for a couple hours now, and I'm feeling like I too should be releasing more units. The pressure here is insane! Well, back to some surprises...

-Smitty

Thanks guys. :)
@Paasky - looks like your mod will be the first with custom units after all
@snafusmith - I can't wait too see your secret project

Everybody loves WWII, although some think that civ shouldn't even have a WWII scenario. But then why should civ have scenarios at all?

Anyway, everyone loves (or hates, but still likes it in a strange way :p) WWII.

Great models sharick! I really gotta take the time and learn to make something like that myself :) I got a question about the textures - do you draw them yourself or do you use photos of the tanks?

@Rabbit, White - I'm not good at making textures the only ones I did were for Me262, V1, V2 and futuristic. The rest are textures from mods for Combat Mission game, modified a little bit.

Did you ever try maybe brightening some of the textures a little? I wonder if it would show off the model a little more. Overall these are great units though.

It might also be cool if you scaled the units a little bigger. I think that could look really good.

SK138 said:
Did you ever try maybe brightening some of the textures a little? I wonder if it would show off the model a little more. Overall these are great units though.

It might also be cool if you scaled the units a little bigger. I think that could look really good.

I concur. Great model anyway though.

eoo2 said:
As major general-use models go, we're really only missing the Panzer III now.

I believe we're also short a Pz IV-H. Eagerly awaiting the Stuka to come out of development, so we can stop bombing Warsaw with Avro Lancasters ;)

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to use this model, and while it looks good in-game, it's completely junked-up in the Civilopedia... tracer lines boxing all around the model in the civilopedia... does anyone know how to fix it... okay... more specifically... can anyone fix this in the civilopedia? I lack the skills.

Trying to get the Pz-38t fixed... anyone?

Here's what it looks like in the Civilopedia, but it's fine in-game?!?

Looking fine! (Though maybe a little bit dark shade of gray...):goodjob:

@SK138: Original WW II German tank designs weren't very big - rather small, actually.;)

Anybody? Is this just a NIF problem? Is this something that can be fixed by someone with the right know-how?

Looks good in-game on map during play, completely messed-up in civilopedia and in the bottom right close-up screen during game.

Can this be fixed by someone?

I could check up on it in the future sometime for you wolfs. :p
That would be nice... don't want it to slow down that Martin B-10 project though!?!?! :lol:

Top Bottom