Request: Ships!

Prometheus1992

Warlord
This is a pretty huge undertaking:

I was wondering if any of you expert skinners or unit makers out there could make some ships that belong in the Modern Era of shipbuilding in the world (1900-2000) Something to see like the differences in the Classes of Battleships like Missouri, North Carolina (one present in CivIV), Alaska, etc. and different cruisers, destroyers, subs, and carriers.

I doubt anyone could do this though :shake:
Im sure there are at least SOME expert skinners out there...:lol:

Thanks!
Prometheus1992

Your powers of obsevation truly overwhelm and stun me...

(This has already been done...try looking around at Smitty's work). Also I'm glad you're willing to give reverse pyschology a good college try.

Thanks for the Tip!

Also, I'm glad that you're interested in flaming my posts, but if you want to open a flame topic about me, do so, but make it separate at least!

That wasn't really a flame...

Pissing contests aside, I think what's more important than civilization-specific warships (Good luck creating an Aztec battleship), is that some new generic units be added. Specifically, there should be an older aircraft carrier, WW2 vintage, and the current carrier should be a modern design.

More importantly, though, we need a gun cruiser. I can't stand that they left this ship out.

I think the old aircraft carrier could be based off one of Imperial Japan's retrofitted carriers, they would make for a great grahical diference from the currant carrier.

yeah, some old carriers would be nice. my favourite would be the *graf zeppelin*, the only german carrier, that was sunk by the nazis before it was commissioned that the red army don't get it. Graf Zeppelin, 1, Graf Zeppelin, 2, Graf Zeppelin-Wiki

or a future carriers: CVF, 1, CVF, 2

and perhaps a future-transport would be nice. Future Transport

but of course for the future-vehicles there must be a future-era-mod.....

Ho Ho those carriers are sweet. I think the CVF 2 would be very good for a future carrier.

I have already made the 3D models for the WWII Missouri, the Modernized Missouri and the North Carolina to name a few. Actually, regarding the Missouri, I did not make the hull or the bridge. Those are from the original model I bought, but I rebuilt everything else according to US Navy blueprints, because most of the superstructure was off in dimensions and placement. However, these are high poly models that I built and animated for use in making Filcs for Civ3. At the moment, I do not relish the thought of cutting down the poly count to make them work in Civ4. Granted, I've tested it and Civ4 can handle high poly count models, but get too many and most systems will choke. I may in the future work on cutting the polys to use them in Civ4, but at the moment I still have committments to work adding units to El Justo's TCW for C3C. That and I'm also waiting for some decent combat mods to come out for Civ4 before I spend anytime converting my models for it.

Attachments

• BB preview.jpg
    BB preview.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 182
respect, those ships look really good!

samari_tycoon said:
I think the CVF 2 would be very good for a future carrier.
just what i thought. it has a realy good futuristic look.

i thought of some hovercrafts. i think with the Flying Mod by RogerBacon we can handle it that hovercrafts drive on water and land tiles.
Hovercraft-Wiki

It's unlikely that there will be another generation of supercarriers beyond those currently planned. It's getting a lot easier to sink them and not much easier to defend them. The future will be much smaller vessels holding fewer planes operating in task forces.

Keep in mind that a modern aircraft carrier can set you back five to six billion dollars, plus aircraft, plus thousands of men.

A cruise missile? A million, maybe two.

Much like how RPGs are dooming heavy tanks, don't expect the future to have massive warships.

so? maybe you're right, but what counts for the RL haven't to count for the game....

0d1n3oo3Broad said:
so? maybe you're right, but what counts for the RL haven't to count for the game....

Hey, that's your call, mano. I'm not here to tell anyone how to mod their game.

I just have to figure that if someone is a stickler for accuracy to the point that it matters to them that their battleship unit be of a particular class, they might be as interested in accuracy elsewhere.

Admiral118 said:
It's unlikely that there will be another generation of supercarriers beyond those currently planned. It's getting a lot easier to sink them and not much easier to defend them. The future will be much smaller vessels holding fewer planes operating in task forces.

Keep in mind that a modern aircraft carrier can set you back five to six billion dollars, plus aircraft, plus thousands of men.

A cruise missile? A million, maybe two.

Much like how RPGs are dooming heavy tanks, don't expect the future to have massive warships.

That's until they finish off the work on force fields of course...

Anti-RPG "Trophy" Force Field Report

That report makes it sound rather like a Sci-fi "Shield Up" device, but more technical details can be found here.

It's just going to be another case of defensive vs offensive technology. Platemail was devised as a way to stop people with swords killing you, tanks were devised as a way to stop machine guns killing you, shielding technologies such as these are being designed as a way to stop low tech explosive weapons from killing you.

Could we please have unit requests confined to the main C&C forum? The Unit Graphics forum is really for completed files, no?

Top Bottom