PureNES: Years of Excelsior

Ah. In any case, it appears both of us have taken an Order-Chaos path...although it is quite clear our styles and conceptualization are different. It will be interesting to see how things turn out in the long run.

Yes, well this allows me to play about a bit with culture, political ideals, etc., not to mention some cool power struggles. Who knows, maybe the Ordara might enlist your help in a purge at some point...:mischief:

Tevan
Ruler / Player: Captain Kehran / human-Slaughter
Government: Chiefdom
Religion: Monothiestic
Technology: Early Bronze Age
Culture: The Tevanii are coastal seafarers that fish and gather food from their home island. They have ventured little off of their island and worship the sea god Tapi.
Economy: (leave blank)
Military: (leave blank)
Infrastructure: (leave blank)
History: The nation of Tevan was born out of the hate for the Ketans. The Tevanii overthrow the old chief and installed their new captain chief. They wish to expand to nearby islands.

Nation: Tevan (Tay-vhan)
People: Tevanii (Tay-vhan-knee)
Culture:
The Tevanii are a seafaring clan led people they live off the ocean and their home island of Tekalii (Tay-khal-e). Their religion is of that of a elemental god who rules the waters. He is referred to as Tapi (Tah-pee), Ruler of the Sea.

Rise of a Nation
The Tevanii lived peacefully for as long as the elders had known. The fish was bountiful. The fruit always fresh and the clans were always in cohesion. It was as if there were no clans at all but I Tevanii clan. And, so it was for many years. Tapi the ruler of the sea brought bounty for his people and the people were grateful. The elders gave prayers and set out gifts on the tides for the great god and all was well.

One year however the fruit went bad and the seas grew rough. The elders were unaware of what the great god wanted or was doing. People were frantic. Food was scarce and the bounty of Tekalii was squandered under storms of Tapi. The clan anger was subtle at first. Arguments arose over land claim and food distribution. Finally violence erupted the 3 major clans of the island fought in the village and many Tevanii were killed. The “victorious” clan was that of the Ketans. They were more warlike then the rest and larger than the rest. The head of the clan claimed Chieftanship of the island. He forced the now smaller clans into exile. They were banished from the island of Tekalii and took refuge on the smaller islands surrounding it. The exiles began to organize they became their own clan. They wiped away the old lines and swore vengeance on the Ketans. The New Tevanii hid in the dense islands and silently over the course of two years made their plan.

2 years after the banishment of the New Tevanii from Tekalii a large storm rocked the island. Anarchy swarmed into the villages of the Ketans. The chief and his loyal friends and family were out by the docks when they saw lit by torchlight many canoes come through the mist of the waves. When the boats hit the shore yells of “FREEDOM FOR TEKALII!” and “FOR TAPI!” Erupted from the shore. By morning the chieftan was slain and the New Tevanii had taken back the city. And thus the new life for the Tevanii had arrived. Bound by the love for the ocean and a warrior spirit the nation of Tevan was born

My nation is on hold, since Niklas forfeited his location, meaning I'm taking his spot. This means I don't have to start out as nomads (although I was planning to settle just outside the cradle) and I'd rather avoid that if I can. I guess I won't have to change anything apart from the nomad bit, but still...

EDIT: Also, this post serves as a notice: I'm taking Niklas' place. So there.

The first few years of Kingship suited Alan well. After the defeat of the most warlike of the local tribes the rest fell into line with the nation of Alystr quite quickly. Creator worship spread to these new portions of Alystr and life started to develop a simple rhythm of work, play/merriment and sleep. More towns started to grow into full fledged cities with the influx of people and more land was given over to farming and for raising livestock. Trade with the larger tribes in the area was on the rise and the DotC had a few women traveling with most caravans now-a-days to help spread the word of the creator. The influence of the Keeper was on the wane, people where happy with how things where.

The current news though deeply troubled the king. A few of the larger tribes had banded together and there was talk of war. War was bad for business and more-over the fighting men of Alystr where out of practice since there had been no one to really fight these last 10 years. Alan could not let this coalition deface what he had been working towards since his father’s death.

Thus Alan Alystr IV road out of the city of Alystr at the head of the Alystrian army, rusty as they where they would make a good show and teach these heathens what happens to enemies of the Alystr throne. He left his wife Helena in charge back home. She was a bright and capable woman, along with the backing of the DotC she would do fine with the bickering nobles and keep things running as smoothly as possible.

((I wanted to put it out there and make sure the mod knew. Im leaving tomorrow for a week an hopefully I wont miss much.))

The People
Ruler / Player: The Drake (currently Drake VI)/ fantasmo
Government: Theocratic Tribal Confederacy
Religion: The Dragon Path
Technology: Early Bronze Age
Culture: The marsh-dwelling People believe themselves to be the remnant of an ancient empire, and have chosen the Drakes as their emperors and leaders, in the hopes of leaving the marshes and what they call "The Exile", imposed on them by the Lord Dragon and Lady Wyrm, their Gods.
Economy: (leave blank)
Military: (leave blank)
Infrastructure: (leave blank)
History: The People, after the collapse of their ancient empire, are believed to have been exiled to their current location, where they spent centuries attempting to atone for their "sins" and betrayal of their Gods. Eventually, after a vision to one of their elders, they were given a ruler, a king, the Drake, and subjugated many neighbouring tribes and groups, beginning their new Empire.

Detailed history from the first thread is below.

The Origins of the People
Spoiler :
Water, water all around, but not a drop to drink. Living in a (mostly) poisonous marsh had hardened the People over time, but they liked to think that was for a good reason. After all, they came into the marshes to atone for past sins. Once upon a time, The People had constructed towering structures of shining diamond, stretching from deep below the surface, in the womb of Mother Wyrm, to the sky, the home of Father Wyvern. The People had sinned, however, turning from the Mother and the Father, and worshipping the God of a prophet from the very marshes they now inhabited. The First Prophet of the Leviathan had come forth to preach the word of a new “God”, Leviathan the Great, a creator and a destroyer, and had been very successful, until a brutal civil war had torn The People asunder, and left his followers decimated. Subsequently, the followers of The Truth had exiled themselves into the Leviathan’s Marsh, and had stayed there ever since, in punishment for their foolishness. Or at least, that was what The Chronicles, the great tomes that documented events since time immemorial, before and after the Exile began. According to The Chronicles, writing only began after The People entered the Marsh, but it was the closest thing to a first-hand account of their history that The People had.

According to the Chronicles, once there had been a thousand nations, with a thousand different rulers, but The People had united them in an Empire that lasted four thousand years. The only thing that remained was a crown, a crown which, coincidentally, was also the only place that The People ever saw jewels and precious stones. Gold and diamond were in abundance on the crown, and the people had never seen such things in any other place for millennia. To them, the gold shone almost as brightly as the highly polished decorative scales that men were presented each year after their 16th birthday, a sign of manhood. To them, that made it something special, a further representation of the pact that the Dragons and their Kin had made with The People. A blood-pact, and an alliance, a pledge to protect and be protected, and The People saw nothing more important than that pact. The Pact was what defined The People. The Pact and The Exile were all there was in terms of purpose, all there would ever be. Yet the people were content, or they had been, until He came. He was from a foreign group, from further north in the Marshes, and he had entered The People’s lands from the west, from outside the Marsh, with tales of the outside world, of a Great City rebuilt by the Leviathan, as a gift to any who would return to him. A small part of the population had left with him, in search of it, and he was the Second Prophet of the Leviathan. The Tempting, as this time was called, lasted a little over 23 years, and when they set out, the Prophet was old. However, The People had resisted the Leviathan once again, and were rewarded. Father Wyvern and Mother Wyrm sent a vision to one of the Elders, a vision that a new leader would be coming soon to the People, a leader who was, in part, Dragonkin, and a leader whose progeny would one day lead the People out of Exile. Not long after, a young man entered the Marsh, followed by approximately 80 heavily armed men, and declared himself King of those lands. The People welcomed him, assimilated him and his soldiers and, after another vision was sent to the Elders, named him leader of the People, and gave him the title of Drake, a grand honour among the People, for the Drakes are among the Dragonkin. His name is lost, for the Chronicles called him only “The Leader” and then “Drake” or “The Drake”. Since then, his descendants, male or female, have lead The People, over the course of 5 generations, each taking the name of Drake when they ascend to the leadership. So, currently, The Sixth Drake or Drake VI leads The People. It was only 3 years after he ascended to the leadership that he experienced his first vision. In it, Angius, one of the Dragonkin, came to him on a great plain, and said to him “This is where you shall rebuild. It is here, Drake, that you shall found the Great Empire. The People have served the Mother and the Father faithfully, and now you are freed from your Exile. Return them to their homes, Foreigner, and teach them the ways of war. It is for you to rebuild what once was, and to ensure that all is well.”

After this vision, The People were restructured and galvanised into action. Used to the Marsh environment, the Drake started there, sending parties out to bring nearby villages under his control as vassals and to colonise unsettled parts of the Marsh. Soon, he was a King, not merely the Drake, not merely leader of a sect. The time of the people had come, and they would at long last achieve that which the Chronicles said they had once had. The Age of the Dragon was beginning.

Oh, only five updates or so... ;)

Speaking of which, this will be a busy week, however, I still feel as though we can set the deadline earlier to keep the pace up. What say you all?

Doesn't seem there's all that much to write about at the moment...

Fine with me.

The men fell back into the swing of the march much more easily then Alan thought. The older men kept the chant up as they marched and the younger men quickly fell into line. This was as good of a sign as any, 10 years was a long time but not so long as to make men forget how to be soldiers. Alan made sure to mix the older men with the younger so that they had men who knew the art of war around them to teach and help protect them in the coming conflict.

They marched for a week to the place where the first blows would fall. Alan had the men set up camp and rode out with the scouts to see what he faced. They had more men then he did but they where an unorganized lot. Already they where laying camp wherever it suited them and drinking lots of ale. Alan made a note to keep the men from drinking this night so they would have an edge in the morning.

Meanwhile back in Alystr Helena was having quite a time of it keeping the nobles in line. With the king gone they thought that it was the perfect time to get what they wanted out of the throne with a weak women in charge. The nobles wanted nothing new; always more wealth, more power, greater droves of land, all Helena had to do was keep the nobles bouncing off each other long enough for her husband to put the heathens down and return. Between her and the Daughters of the Creator they would manage, they had no choice.

Deadline has been moved considerably closer: have orders/stories in before the clock strikes six AM on Thursday. Would do midnight, but I'm out that night, so I won't get orders until the morning anyway. Note of course that all times are EDT, so that would be 3 AM in the Pacific and I believe 11 AM GMT (I could well be wrong, with daylight savings time; I was never good with time zones). In any case, as its so early, an hour or two off will probably not matter. However, once I wake up, I'm looking at the order sets I have, and updating with those.

Just making that clear.

I would also note you must have a story posted, or linked to, in this thread, otherwise your nation is not confirmed. I don't think there's anyone this really applies to yet, but the point stands.

I might join this later, since my stories suck. :p

I doubt that, but even if it were true we'd want you in. How are you supposed to get better if you don't write? We shouldn't be judging you anyways, and your writing is probably a lot better than you think.

Not to mention we all had to start somewhere.

Doesn't matter. We could use you, and odds are those books are going to tell you that experience is important. :p Why not gain experience doing something you love?

In any case, hope you come by soon. :)

Because I'm getting some books on improving my writing. The only thing I'm okay at is writing humor (And that is unintentional) and updates themselves. :p

Books can only tell you what not to do, not what to do. The only way you can improve what you actually write is to do it yourself.

Top Bottom