PureNES: Years of Excelsior

They're no more than orders need to be for this. Apologies to JD; I had a lot of stories to sift through. I certainly did read yours, but I might have forgotten a few of the details. I will edit your section accordingly in the morning.

EDIT: I actually edited it tonight, but you know, it is technically the morning. Hope you like this section better. I'll be cobbling together a few historical maps, perhaps, a timeline, maybe, some interesting information on the cradle, and I might write a few stories of my own.

EDIT again: When would people like to have the next deadline?

Hopefully last EDIT: I forgot to note, though I think it was probably pretty obvious, that I'm using the three city system, to note particularly important cities. They don't necessarily confer greater power, just denote cities of especial importance.

Nope, another EDIT. This is what not reading the thread does:

How long will the updates be? 5 years? 10? 50?

I prefer to keep things generational, such as about 20-25 years, or 50. I think we can go with the baseline of 50-100, depending on what kind of stories folks write. We will be keeping this going at a nice clip, however.

But am I the only one who is thoroughly confused? There were so many names of past empires/regions, and I have no idea where which one was (so I cant reference them in stories) and I have no idea where current nations are now. A named map, north king, please!!

But, it wasn't too bad of an update. It was nice and simple. Although, the mentions of people I had no idea of was kind of confusion..

Most of it is merely history. Worry not, few people understand it. :p

The primary source texts for this update were actually your own stories. Well, except for a few obvious little flourishes; the most ancient empire, for example, you hardly need worry about unless you want to have archaeological digs in the ancient era. I hope that with a possible new map, things will be much more sensical.

Sealed for approval.

The only downside to that update time is that pretty much no character we create is going to be around for more than one update. Otherwise, great! :D

After the map, the update kinda made sense...:p

I'd shoot for late next week for a deadline, but thats just my personal prefrence.

The only downside to that update time is that pretty much no character we create is going to be around for more than one update. Otherwise, great! :D

This is a problem. Create interesting characters and the time might be shorter. ;)

Im probably going to do a small story on the start of the barbarian conflicts with my current king and then do a broader story about the next 50-100 years for this next update if I can get my brain working in a semi-creative matter this weekend. I plan to just do stories and not do any orders at all and see where it takes me and my peoples - though when I eventually get into wars with other PC's I may have to send battle plans or general tactics, ect.

When do you want orders/stories by?

You need to upload the current map on the front page, NK.

Oooh, you just gave me flashbacks of tech week....*shudders*

Manul, son of the great Soratego, stood staring at the monument dedicated to his father. He had been blessed, his father’s life had catapulted his bloodline into the high nobility of the Alezar, part of the King’s own court. From his victories against the Mahazi and the expansion of the Kingdom to the Thirian and Habytian missions, the beginning of a trade route that put Alezar square in the center, Soratego the Great was a national icon. He had reformed the army to fight coherently and brought massive wealth to ordinary framers and merchants. Upon his death, a shrine was erected in the King’s palace, and a temple was built in the center of the Kingdom’s only city. More popular than even the King now, Soratego became in death the Alezari God, deity of the people of Alezar. The capital city was even renamed to Soratego as it doubled in size in just one year due to the traffic of trade with the Habytians and Thiri.

The long trade route established by Soratego brought much needed wealth to Alezar, and already campaigns are underway to strengthen that route and increase that wealth. King Simun has declared the expansion of his Kingdom to the Great Waters, conquering the whole of the Sacred River and allowing a safe journey for Habytian boats to travel from port to Soratego, and finally by land through the mountain passes on to the valleys of Thiri.

And Manul was determined to take advantage of that. His family had, since his marriage, lived off of the money earned by family members. First him and his first wife exhausted the inheritance of her father, a noble farmer who had built an extensive network of farms throughout the Kingdom. Then when Manul married a second wife, the three of them exhausted another inheritance. It was his third wife that he had children with, ten of them to be exact, and it was then that his father died. After the immaculate ceremony that reincarnated Soratego to a god, Manul received the remainder of his father’s wealth – enough that Manul and his wives ascended to nobility and had enough left over for the largest palace in all of Alezar to be built, just outside of the city of Soratego.

But that wealth was now running low. Fear from losing his nobility status, Manul was insistent on finding another way of generating wealth. To old to marry again, he was forced to make his money, and he found the answer in trade. His family name was already well known in both Habytia and Thiri and he had just enough wealth left to invest in caravans and trade goods. His whole fortune and the future of his bloodline would depend on the arrival of the first caravan from Habytia.

“E-e-excuse me, senoa, are you alright?” Manul slowly turned his head to find a pair of young eyes staring back at him. He carefully stepped down from the monument and nodded at the stranger.

“Yes, I’m find.”

“Senoa, I could show you the best inn in the city. Are you tired senoa?” The young man, not more than fifteen years, gestured Manul to walk with him. Looking down at his own clothes, Manul did not blame the boy for mistaking him for a foreigner. He wore a tunic from Habytia and mountain sandals from Thiri. Not to mention the blade that hung at his hip was surely not from Alezar.

Turning away from the boy, Alezar signaled for his guard. It was late, and the long walk back to Soratego Estate would be treacherous. Just then from the shadows of the empty streets a young runner who he recognized as being one of his own stopped at his feet.

“Senoa, I have a message for you from the Estate.” Upset that Catalina couldn’t let him go just once to the city without asking him for a present, he nodded at the boy to continue.

“The caravan, she has arrived.”

These days were prosperous. After the war for freedom the Tevanii returned to normal life. Fishing gathering and sailing upon the seas. It had soon become an interest for some of the adventurous sailors to venture away from the main island. The islands surrounded by the capital island had very few people living there but what these islands lacked in humans it made up for in lush tropical foliage and diverse animals. The Tevanii sailors would note new animals and draw them in their log so that the information could be returned to Tekalii.

One cool rainy day on Tekalii a healer stepped out of the Captain’s main room in the capital. He announced the death of the first captain of the True Tevanii. He had been known as the People’s Captain and he would be sorrowfully missed. However a new captain had to be instated. A group of the most experienced and most renowned sailors met in the capital city where discussion and choosing of a new captain was made.

Captain Tegal stepped out of his room and into the main room of the capital building. He consulted with the cartographer who was in the process of creating a map of Tevan. It was to be a grand work that would be completed over time as new islands were discovered and settled. Mayreau was the most remote but Port Kehran was developing at a good pace and would soon serve as a go between point between Tekalii and the frontier water.

Boatmakers from all across Tevan were doing well as the want for adventure and discovery was upon the horizon. But a more stable and larger ship was wanted to be able to navigate as the distances became larger.

Map Legend
Red – Tekalii
Teal – Kadavu Islands
Yellow – Telan Islands
Orange - Kehranada and the Lesser Vitives – town of Port Kehran on Kehranada on the east coast in the arc.
Purple - Mayreau

((As a note for North King the land that is colored on the map is not a "thats how far I have expanded this turn" I am allowing you to choose how far the boats travel and what not. Those are just what Captain Tegal has named for the islands.))

The Three Laws and Punishments

...To ensure the safety of the good [people] of Garanthormia, the Grand Council has inscribed these words of [laws] and punishments.

Law Number One, the peoples of Garanthormia shall not murder, any person, or peoples, regardless of race, religion, sex, creed, disability, or any other reasons except as ordered by all three branches of government, [which are the] Grand Council, Ruling Family, [and] Grand Court.

Punishment [for] Breaking Law Number One, for the murder of a person, or persons, the said criminal shall be put to death, [all] their possessions be taken away by the government, their family listed on [the] Eternal Shame list, unless [the] said criminal murdered their family or a member [of the family], in which the family shall keep their [possessions]

Law Number Two, the peoples of Garnthormia shall not steal, including the government unless for reasons of [law], from any person, or persons, for any reasons. Stealing [is] a crime interpreted by [the act of] taking away without mutual consent or borrowing [and] not returning said items.

Punishment [for] Breaking Law Number Two, for the [act of] robbery of a person, or persons, the said criminal shall be placed in prison for the remainder [of their life], their possessions given to [their] family, unless the family helped, in which the family [shall] be put on the Eternal Shame list, and banished from the kingdom [of Garanthormia]

Law Number Three, the peoples of Garanthormia shall not enslave, including the government unless for reasons of [law], any person, or persons, for any reasons. Enslaving [is] a crime interpreted by [the act of] taking away of liberties, [or] forcing others to do what they don't wish to.

Punishment [for] Breaking Law Number Three, for the [act of] enslaving a person, or persons, without mutual consent, the said criminal shall become a slave of the [en]slaved peoples they enslaved, their possessions be given [to the] once enslaved, [and] their family exiled [and] put on the Eternal Shame list.

These laws [shall] be observed [as] the fundamental laws of Garanthormia, and [all] her citizens shall follow these laws, on the pain of the above said punishments.

Signed,

His Royal Majesty Ronald Froogle

The Grand Council of Garanthormia (All the Signatures of the Great Council)

The Grand Court of Garanthormia (All signatures of the Judges)​

The Eternal Shame List

The names below shall have been wrecked by eternal shame, and the peoples of their families as well, for the hedonistic crimes against Garanthormia, and the exile of said families from ever returning.

(Names listed here)

A lone shepherd stood on the top of a rather steep hillside. It was easily the greatest height in miles about, the reason why he had chosen this place as his family camp. From here, young ones with keen eyes could spot any intruders from far away, and warn the rest by sounding the horn. Things were not always so. Even though this practice had been used for centuries, it was more often a signal to prepare food and drink for the guest, rather than a call to arms.

In recent years, the encounters between the shepherds and the northmen had increased, resulting in more than a few skirmishes. Although they were limited to single engagements - often caused by herds straying too far into the forest and being preyed on by patroling northmen, whereupon the shepherd rush to save their livelihood - some of the chiefs were murmuring about a more determined resistance. A few drunkards and fools even spoke aloud of revenge and dashing raids into the north, but most men knew this was garbage. The forests were teeming with dangerous wildlife even without the northmen to spring ambushes on any unfortunate intruders.

The shepherd knew too much about the dangers of the forest to consider such foolish acts. He was likely more than a match for any northman with the bow, but that and daring the same northman to fire the first shot unchallenged was another thing. Most wise men about his age were all aware of this. At least all who sat as family chiefs like himself knew. That was why they had agreed at the Winter's Council to approach these northmen with an offer of peace. The northmen must surely know as well as them that the lands were plenty enough for all. The only thing needed was a definite border.

Luckily, the preparations were well underway. The chief of Sagra family was to go, together with an interpreter. A former northman who is said to have been banished from his land taught him their tongue, a strange fluid speak with intricate intonations. He had heard their cries more than once, but those times he was with an empty mind, raining arrows of death with his bow. Hopefully, such encounters would end now. He had lost more than a hundred animals to them, but he was not like a green brat who kept a sullen grudge.

The envoy was due to leave in a few months with a small herd intended as a gift. He himself had given up twenty heads. It was a small price to pay if a peace could be settled and sealed. In the meantime, he would have to guard what he had left - with his bow and merciless aim.

To: The King of the Northmen

We seek peace, and a permanent border to release the tension that has been building between our peoples. Are you willing to enter a debate to resolve this matter once and for all?

Okay, I lost my original place, but I'll go elsewhere anyway

Luginé
Ruler / Player: The Burim/ Toltec
Government: Divine Monarchy
Religion: nature worship of spirits, particularly centred around the hot springs
Technology: Early Bronze Age
Culture: The Luginé's lives are based around the warm springs in the mountains above the valley of Lelezim. The people bathe in the Springs, and the water runs down into the valley and feeds the land. The spirits of nature guide the people, and The Burim (the source) has personal affinity with the spirits of the springs, supposedly becoming one with them in a ritual before taking rule. The Luginé are a creative people, almost every member of the tribe has some artistic skill, and individualism is encouraged. they have a small warrior tradition, however they are very effective and revered by the tribe.
Economy:
Military:
Infrastructure:
History: People have been plowing the valley and raising the herds in the mountains for centuries. They lived isolated from the outside world, united and happy, rarely seeing warfare attention was turned to other things. However when silver was found in the mountains, nearby tribes became jealous. In a devastating attack the entire valley was razed and only those in the mountains survived. In the mountains they hid and watched, preparing themselves. The Great Burim, father of the people, lead the survivors in retaking the valley and drove out the invaders. The valley was rebuilt and life returned to normal, but they never forgot the new ways of war, and are ready to spread out from the valley and bring all the peoples of the world to the Springs.

--------------------------------------​

So as the Springs flow into the valley and feed the land, we too must spread out into the world and teach it's peoples - The Great Burim

The stream trickled over his feet and cooled him, he was naked save for a silver necklace around his neck. He had been climbing for an hour and the sun was starting to emerge from behind the mountains to his east, but he could still see the moons in the darker part of the sky. He followed the stream up the mountain it was quite steep, but he was young and fit. He eventually came to the source of the stream, a pool of rock, filled with whitish, bubbling water, surrounded by the priests in their ceremonial dress. He climbed into the pool and his aches faded away. The warm water soothed his pains from the climb and he felt reinvigorated. The priest performed their ritual, calling on the spirits of the spring. At the priests' bidding he drank some water, it had a strange taste and he could feel bits in it, but it was refreshing. At this the priests summoned him, he climbed out and was dressed in the clothes of the Burim. He turned around and looked out across the valley, his lands. And on the horizon he saw what was beyond his home, the unknown lands of cruel folk and barbarians. He suddenly knew, the spirits had told him what he must do.

A sword had never been part of the Burims' dress, they were spiritual leaders of the people, the warriors had their own ways and leaders. Yet The Burim had it laid out in front of him. The hilt made from bone and inlaid with silver. The bronze had been traded, something unheard of in the Lelezim, but no-doubt something that would become more common. The blade was long and narrow, unlike the weapons that the warriors used, and was pointed at the end. The sheath was made of leather also inlaid with silver. He picked it up and let it glimmer in the light. He placed the sword on his belt and went out to the crowd that had gathered. The warriors were to his right and looked uncomfortable. He climbed his podium and spoke. "The Great Burim once said we were to spread out of the valley, into the world. Well that time has come, they will know who we are, and the streams of the Luginé will feed the whole world."
A great cheer went up and the general of the warriors approached The Barim and bowed before him. They were few in number but were highly skilled and had held back many recent incursions into the valley. But they needed strengthening to be ready to face the world. A young man, armed with a pouch of silver, set out from the valley in search of bronze.

Harmonism: An introduction

As a nomad people, the Yuzoi have migrated across many lands. In the beginning, they were not even recognizable as a people. For the most part, they consisted of outcasts and bandits on the fringe of civilization. Only after the people was slowly united by common language and religion did the Yuzoi really emerge. Their tongue is a good mix of many dialects spoken in the northern half of the cradle, meaning Yuzoi often have an easier time learning new languages, or at least understanding parts of foreign sentences.

As for religion, the great variety of gods and deities worshiped by the nomads led to the belief that an infinite number of them exists, and all of them influence the mortal world in one way or another. The "religion" is tended by monks who teach proper meditation and keep record of the innumerable spiritual entities. The only thing that Harmonism - which the monks call the belief system - opposes is the belief of one exclusive god (not as much monotheism as much as non-polytheism). Just like there are innumerable gods, there are innumerable afterlives - or even reincarnation.

Gods exist because mortals recognize them. Therefore, they are born - and eventually die as humanity forgets them. The monks keep record of the gods so that they can determine whether a god is alive or dead. They are also known for recording the creations of new gods and goddesses for specific purposes, but these require special rituals performed by the Three Witches. The Three Witches are chosen at birth, become one of sixteen apprentices, and fight one another to death when their mentor dies to succeed her. The Witches have power over the gods themselves, and declare both their births and deaths.

As such, the Three Witches may have power equal to the Yuzarchs. However, their number is limited to 51 in the Exalted House - the title/suffix given to all apprentices - who are dependent on the people's treasury, and the local humble monk who keeps a shrine or altar, they do not wield much political power. Their influence is limited to that of the spiritual realm, where it is absolute. Still, Harmonism is known precisely for it's relaxed view on deities, and rarely has the Three Witches exercised their power beyond declaring the due births and deaths.

Alan sat in his tent stoically waiting while the surgeon stitched up his latest wound. He had been fighting for what seemed like ages against all these barbarians. How long ago it seems that the men of Alystr road out to the field of battle rusty and untested. Those days where long past now. This would be their third campaign against various barbarian tribes in the last 10 years. The men where tested now; the ones who couldn’t handle it or no good at war where either dead or sent home with various injuries. The men left where a tough lot but had learned through blood and sweat that the men next to you were all you had and you better damn well trust them or your life could be gone in an instant. In the heat of battle it almost seemed as if the Alystrian army was a single entity, the way it should be. Each rise and fall of axe or sword, each thrust of the spear, every parry with a shield seemed perfectly in place to either drive into the enemy or defends ones self or the men next to him in perfect harmony.

What started out back against that first confederation of tribes as an unorganized, unsure group of Alystrian men were now an army and a damn good one if Alan had anything to say about it. These men risked life and limb whenever he called and they had yet to fail him. Tomorrow he would ride out in front of his army once again and hopefully bring this latest tribe to heel. What bothered Alan though was what came after this war. He would be heading back home to see how things faired in his absence, but more importantly he would have to start figuring out how to stop all this mindless killing year after year.

The nobles where split back home on what to do about all these barbarian tribes. It seemed half wanted to make peace with them while the other half wanted to grind them to dust for various reasons (expansion, belief in other gods, pure bloodlust, ect.). Alan and his wife Helena where in a tough spot and the creator only knew how they where going to get out of it this time. Hopefully Helena and her “sisters” would have some good news when he returned. They where in the process of trying to find out who the most loyal houses where, which houses where on the fence and which where decidedly against the Alystr family.

……………………………………………………………………………………………....................................................................................................

Female voice - Knock, knock “Helena, are you there?”

Helena - “Yes, come in quickly before someone sees you”. “What have you found out for me Nessa?”

Daughter Nessa - “It is as you feared; the Drauge family is attempting to win more of the noble families to their side against you and your husband. They are saying that Alan is working for the Keeper by his endless killing of the barbarians. They say that any man who does as much spilling of blood as he can only be tied to the keeper. I fear they are planning to eliminate him once he returns.”

Helena - “If that where to happen a council would be placed in charge until our son Elros was old enough to take the throne, how would this help them? They do not have enough support to sway the council.”

Daughter Nessa – “I’m not sure my lady but these are the whispers the Daughters have heard in the night since you asked us to listen.”

Helena – “Thank you Nessa, the information you have provided me should prove valuable, go now and we will speak later, hopefully about better things.”

Orders, for I cannot make up a story on this.

Fire incompetent fools in the military and government, and replace them with experienced people.
Expand northeast, along the peninsula.
Expand the military, without making us look like an oppressive government.

Do we even have a deadline yet?

The flag ship broke through the evening fog that hung around the Port Kehran. The flag had been sewn for this occasion.

The lead ship was followed by numerous other ships the seas were calm and the air cool. Captain Tegal stood at the bow of the flagship. The bay of Kehranada was silent and the captain could see the gap in the dock that was to be their destination. The boats found their way to the crude docks were they tied to the harnessing points. Captain Tegal stepped onto the dock and up the gangway to meet with the Governor. Behind the pair the crew secured a wooden box upon their back. Room as made for the group as they made their way to the point in the sea wall where the gap was.

The crew began to lower the box down into the gap as Captain Tegal began to speak.

“Here lies Captain Kehran, the people’s captain and the protector of the true Tevanii.” The New captain stood behind the gap as he continued “The Captain will continue to serve the people and protect the port and island that bears his name. May we continue to see prosperity throughout the land of Tevan and may god bless our travels into the unknown waters that lay before us. Thank you Captain.” The constructors came forward and began to cover the captain’s grave.

The new Captain returned to the flag ship and set sail for home.

"It matters not that they dislike me, so long as they fear me"
- Autarch Eligos, Lord of the Harungen People, Glorious Champion of the Cause of Order.

Autarch Eligos was raised in the latter days of his fathers reign. Much of the time his father spent on Horseback, initially he was merely crushing various vassals insurrections against him, but later he was given command of small armies to crush the various insurrections.

He was a man of little patience for matters of trade, and the House of Merchants declined under his reign, much to the displeasure of the various Grandmasters. Indeed Autarch Eligos was oft quoted thusly "Crush and destroy any dissent and signs of Insurrection, create a stable Kingdom, and trade will look after itself,".

Thus the Autarchs main concerns were with Military Campaigns, swiftly crushing rebels and other various people one by one. Thus he built up the roads, poured money into it, to swiftly march his army accross the lands, and instill in them the Fear of Ynnead[1].

It must however be pointed out that one cannot solve problems of instablity by merely crushing their outcomes. One must destroy their source; And the Autarch Eligos Identified this 'rebellious spirit' as both a rejection of the Principles of the Gods of the Harungen people; or rather Heresy; Phoenix Worship. Tied with this was a lazy and inefficient peasantry. Thus the Peasantry took a step towards serfdom, as the Grandmaster of this House consisted of a diverse leadership, decentralised, with no real power.

And Eventually Autarchs Eligos "Campaigns of Sedation", also began to reflect this. Battlefields with Crucified rebellers, Survivers enslaved to build massive monolithic structures to the Glory of the Pantheon of Order.

The Autarch was the First Autarch of Malus. A Group of Autarchs that beleived that Order was best maintained through acts of evil, to cow a population that was otherwise too rebellious.

Autarch Eligos son, Aeshma grew up with this developing Philosophy and took it to extremes yet unheard of, thankfully a short life curtailed what might have ruined the nation. Under Autarch Aeshma, a military campaign was undertaken to quell the City of Balthius to the East, which had proved to be an irritation in the Kingdoms expansion in this direction.

The City was obliterated, destroyed, burnt to the ground. Temples were toppled, People were simply destroyed. It is said that those who attempted to flee were chased down and brought before the Lord Autarch, before their head was chopped clean off.

The Shattered shell was ineffectivly colonised by the Autarch Aeshma, eventually having to be abandoned, being simply too far from the more connected Road ways of his father Eligos. However the gains made so far were secured, for the moment.

For whatever reason, Autarch Aeshma's life passed on, and his Son Camael, rose to become Autarch.

Top Bottom