1941 WBS scenario for BTS

el_hidalgo

Prince
Download: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8948

- Type : A WW2 WBS scenario (not a mod) taking place on my modded version of Rhye's world-famous world map
- Map size: huge; number of civs: 18
- Download size: 1.4 MB uncompressed (49 KB compressed)

This is my first scenario. Admittedly it needs to be play tested -- by someone who is actually good at the game (which would not be me :blush:) -- but I think it's playable as it is.

This scenario opens -- like all epics -- "in media res." The date is June 1941. Germany has not yet declared war on the Soviet Union, nor Japan on the United States. Conditions are reasonably historically accurate as the game begins but may, and probably will, proceed ahistorically thereafter. Victories allowed are Domination and Score; others don't make sense in the context of the scenario.

The following options are forced:
-no city razing
-no city flipping
-city flipping after conquest
-no barbarians
-aggressive AI
-no tech brokering
-permanent alliances
-new random seed
-complete kills
-no vassal states
-no goody huts

Playable civs:
Germany
UK
Japan
USSR
USA
Italy
Canada
Australia
Brazil
New Zealand
China
Free French Forces
South Africa
Saudi Arabia
Mexico
Pan-American Union (South America except Brazil)
Turkey

Non-playable:
Spain (neutral throughout)

Suggestions and comments welcome. Enjoy!

Screen shots:

1941Asia0000.JPG

1941LondonParis0000.JPG

1941MotherRussia0000.JPG

A little bit more information would be nice (on the DL page as well). Screenshots also help.;)

So you're stealing both my WW2 scenario and my avatar?
Just kidding, I'l try it.

I say, welcome el_hidalgo - not bad for a 1st post!:thumbsup: Will have a look as soon as I have time.;)

EDIT: Germany and Japan not starting at war may be a bit of an issue though. Is this intended as a what if scenario? Also, post an announcement on the "Sticky: Announce your new/updated Civ4 files for frontpage coverage!" thread in the Creation & Customization section.

I say, welcome el_hidalgo - not bad for a 1st post!:thumbsup: Will have a look as soon as I have time.;)

EDIT: Germany and Japan not starting at war may be a bit of an issue though. Is this intended as a what if scenario? Also, post an announcement on the "Sticky: Announce your new/updated Civ4 files for frontpage coverage!" thread in the Creation & Customization section.

Thank you! You see that I took your advice on the screen shots and more detailed description.:) Yes, it is a sort of what-if. I wanted to give the Axis a chance and I didn't think that was possible if the USSR and USA were already part of the Allied effort. This started as a 1942 scenario, but I moved it back a year for that reason. So the scenario opens at a certain point in time (June 1941), and conditions are more or less historically accurate at that time, but from then on it might not (and probably won't) play out historically.

I'll post an announcement -- thanks! :goodjob:

Thank you, woodelf!

@el_hidalgo: You might also perhaps add some more info on the Download Page (which is the first thing people will see if they don't check out your thread).;)

Would it be difficult to add a few unique units to the game? T-34, Tiger, ME-109, Mig 3, etc.?

I know that it would slow the game down, but any suggestions how I could go about incorporating some UU into this scenario.

Would it be difficult to add a few unique units to the game? T-34, Tiger, ME-109, Mig 3, etc.?

I know that it would slow the game down, but any suggestions how I could go about incorporating some UU into this scenario.

It wouldn't be extremely difficult, assuming the graphic work is already done. There is a tutorial and lots of excellent info in the modding tutorial and reference forum. It's not as easy as swapping leaderheads in the WBS file, though. I wish there were an easy way to reference units in other official mods -- for example, I was able to take flags from the Desert War and Road to War scenarios by changing the path. But unfortunately you can't do that with units.

Just out of curiosity I set the mod path to The Road to War. I got to the civ selection screen, but then it crashed. It might be feasible to adapt this scenario so you could use Road to War, but otherwise adding units etc. would involve creating or adding a whole new mod.

@JEENLEN: Got it, thanks!

Just out of curiosity I set the mod path to The Road to War. I got to the civ selection screen, but then it crashed. It might be feasible to adapt this scenario so you could use Road to War, but otherwise adding units etc. would involve creating or adding a whole new mod.

Yes, I've tried mod compatibility for several scenarios myself (just by selecting a mod, then a scenario), but it's usually no go. Merged Mod might be a good one though; I haven't tried it for this scenario, but it combines elements from Dale('s Combat Mod), Wolfshanze and some other stuff.;)

BTW, Turkey was neutral as well throughout WW II.

Yes, I've tried mod compatibility for several scenarios myself (just by selecting a mod, then a scenario), but it's usually no go. Merged Mod might be a good one though; I haven't tried it for this scenario, but it combines elements from Dale('s Combat Mod), Wolfshanze and some other stuff.;)

BTW, Turkey was neutral as well throughout WW II.

Yeah, I didn't have high hopes. Frankly I was surprised to get to the civ selection screen. But even that was messed up -- Adolph Hitler of Australia?! :crazyeye:

According to my sources (OK, Wikipedia) Turkey did enter the war on the side of the Allies in 1945 -- whether their troops saw any combat is another matter. But it might make sense to make them neutral throughout the game anyway... I can't imagine it would be any fun to play them.

Turkey didn't "enter the war", they declared war when the Allies were on German soil - so just in time to "enter" before it was all over. Some economic and technical assistance was provided to the Allied side at that point, no Turkish soldier saw battle; so, that must have been a big help. I apologize for not being more specific. (I feel I must point out quite a lot of countries joined the Allied side once the Axis-Anti-Komintern side was losing; Turkey was just really, really late.)

Turkey didn't "enter the war", they declared war when the Allies were on German soil - so just in time to "enter" before it was all over. Some economic and technical assistance was provided to the Allied side at that point, no Turkish soldier saw battle; so, that must have been a big help. I apologize for not being more specific. (I feel I must point out quite a lot of countries joined the Allied side once the Axis-Anti-Komintern side was losing; Turkey was just really, really late.)

I don't dispute or disagree with any of that. Whether their declaration of war amounted to "entering" the war is too subtle an argument for my tastes. ;) Since Turkey did declare war (I'll use your terminology) in life I decided to let them declare war in the game too. Fair enough in terms of historical justification?

But what about my scenario? What do you think of it? :)

I was just stating the facts; for a what if scenario it's no biggie, methinks. Haven't had time to try it out (am working on a scenario, just uploaded an updated scenario and I want to release another MOO2Civ patch...), so sorry.;)

The scenario looks pretty good; reasonably balanced too. I tried as Japan and I am finding it a bit easy, but that's probably because the AI sucks in naval combat and air combat. The German army got wiped out by the Brits and to a lesser extent Aussies in the first 10 turns, but no major cities have changed hands there yet. I wonder if the Soviets are or Americans are gonna declare war on me if I don't on them. That would be interesting. A declaration by Soviets in particular would be interesting since Japan and the Soviet Union never really fought in WWII except for a few skirmishes.

I wouldn't call the massive invasion of Manchukwo (Japanese occupied Manchuria) in '45 "a few skirmishes". Also, there were some battles between both armies in the same area before the official start of WW II, in which the Japanese army proved the underdog as well. (Which, BTW, might at least partially explain the naval startegy.);)

I wouldn't call the massive invasion of Manchukwo (Japanese occupied Manchuria) in '45 "a few skirmishes". Also, there were some battles between both armies in the same area before the official start of WW II, in which the Japanese army proved the underdog as well. (Which, BTW, might at least partially explain the naval startegy.)

Yea I know, but that was in August 1945 after US already dropped the first nuke (or both) on Japan so it really had no effect on the war. And yea a battle in August of 1939 (Battle of Khalkhyn Gol in Mongolia) was a Soviet victory, likely causing Japan to forget about a possible conquest of the Soviet Far East.

All I'm saying is there was never a full-scale war between the Soviet Union and Japan in WWII. I guess whether you can call the invasion in 1945 a skirmish is debatable.

My Suggestions for Improvements:
1) Add Communist China under Mao Zedong as an ally of the Soviet Union and give them a few cities in the western-central China. To make this possible, I'd probably remove the Free French.
2) I know this may not be very realistic, but I was thinking to give some anti-tank capability to the Nationalist Chinese so they can resist a Japanese invasion.
3) I don't know about the production of US and Soviet Union (maybe they can produce an army more quickly if there is war), but my power right now as Japan is 2-3 times higher. Not sure if this is ok.

Nevertheless, the best global WWII scenario so far!!

I like the resource balance. As Japan, I'm relatively resource poor compared to Soviet Union. America, Canada, Britain etc. I have only sea-based oil and thus have been importing from Germany and no uranium.

Yea I know, but that was in August 1945 after US already dropped the first nuke (or both) on Japan so it really had no effect on the war. And yea a battle in August of 1939 (Battle of Khalkhyn Gol in Mongolia) was a Soviet victory, likely causing Japan to forget about a possible conquest of the Soviet Far East.

All I'm saying is there was never a full-scale war between the Soviet Union and Japan in WWII. I guess whether you can call the invasion in 1945 a skirmish is debatable.

My Suggestions for Improvements:
1) Add Communist China under Mao Zedong as an ally of the Soviet Union and give them a few cities in the western-central China. To make this possible, I'd probably remove the Free French.
2) I know this may not be very realistic, but I was thinking to give some anti-tank capability to the Nationalist Chinese so they can resist a Japanese invasion.
3) I don't know about the production of US and Soviet Union (maybe they can produce an army more quickly if there is war), but my power right now as Japan is 2-3 times higher. Not sure if this is ok.

Nevertheless, the best global WWII scenario so far!!

I like the resource balance. As Japan, I'm relatively resource poor compared to Soviet Union. America, Canada, Britain etc. I have only sea-based oil and thus have been importing from Germany and no uranium.

Thanks, I appreciate the comments! I will take these suggestions into account when I get around to doing an update. :goodjob:

Top Bottom