IOT Developmental Thread

Well, lazyNES, maybe, since we're not writing a story. It'll probably won't be called IOT anyway, seeing as Taniciusfox seemed to have reserved the brand.

So, what, you'd be fine with it if it was called Rise from Medieval Kingdoms VI or something?

Why can't we just name it IOT V, <insert catchy subtitle here>.

-Diplomatic actions shouldn't cost money, to keep it simple lets keep it free, though of course to prevent world wars and constant shifting of alliances, people should be limited to I'd say 2 or 3 actions every update (though of course that wouldn't include talking, just the concrete stuff like alliances, trade agreements, wars, etc.)

Alright then.

-Tech should also either be really simple or taken out completely, it just adds unnecessary complexity and would slow down the game (this of course wouldn't restrict the player from coming up with their own "discoveries" here and there, for flavor and humor value :))

This I disagree with. I like the idea of being able to research actual stuff that will actually effect the game. I mean, it's the Renaissance, the era of change and new discoveries. I'd simplify it considerably though.

-Stability also seems unnecessarily complex, I say keep it to 3 levels. Very Stable, Stable, and Unstable. That way it isn't a hassle to keep track of and we can still apply penalties and such

I plan to get rid of stability altogether and just make you lose 50% of your income if you're in a war without a casus belli (with all your workers striking and rebelling and alll), how does that sound?

How about, instead of accumulative gold, as you suggested originally (which would require looking after and would slow down the game as more and more nations joined), we just make it so each province is worth a certain amount of gold. And this amount of gold would stay static, not accumulate, and after each update it's replenished. So for example, if each province is worth 5 gold, that means someone who got two provinces has got 10 gold. He can take that gold and spend it on his army (depending on how expensive we make an army), tech, diplomacy, or whatever. And after each update, it goes back to 10 gold, and does not accumulate. The only way to get more money would be to expand.

So that would make it so that the more provinces a person has, the more gold he has to spend on things (so maybe we should keep some complexity in say tech and diplomacy so gold has a value).

It would be really simple (since there's no need to add up everything, just look at the number of provinces a person has), and rather easy to keep track of. It also gives a reason to expand (rather than just have the biggest empire possible) and to fight wars.

Actually, my system actually already does something like this, the main difference being that you can leave gold in your treasury for a rainy day. But yes, I can see that can potentially add too much confusion.

I also quite like the idea of smaller nations being able to challenge larger nations economically without having to expand, so size should not necessarily be everything. It's one reason I like to keep tech in the game so if you'd prefer to lead a small nation you can without being easy prey to larger nations, due to the bonuses you can get from tech.

I still want to GM economy and tech, and I don't mind calculating stuff. Since you think having bankable gold is too complicated I will get rid of that, but I'd like to keep tech bonuses and trade agreements since IMO they'd add a nice touch and helps if you don't like being a warmonger. :)

We could also assign certain amounts of gold to places on the map, so one Siberian province doesn't have the same gold value as a province in Europe.

IMHO this would be unfair since you can still claim richer and poorer provinces the same way. And, I've made provinces so that the amount of income you can potentially get from each is not too different anyway (smaller provinces in Europe, larger ones in Siberia for instances).

I plan to get rid of stability altogether and just make you lose 50% of your income if you're in a war without a casus belli (with all your workers striking and rebelling and alll), how does that sound?

no. lets stick with the old system. if you declare war cause you felt liek it, theres a risk others will declare war on the aggressor. thus ending a nations existence

*cough*south korea*cough*

Summary of the changes:
- the economic aspect has been stripped to the bare bones. As suggested by Joecoolyo, you'll only have income (not accumulative) you can spend each turn, and you'll lose the amount if you haven't invested them in anything (you can say you build a new palace with the spare cash or something, but it'd be RP only).
- Income can still be modified by tech (and this is in terms of base income rather than a %, so having tech level 5 is like having 5 additional territories). All income modifiers are gone save for a 50% penalty for declaring war without a casus belli.
- Research has been streamlined so that there are only two areas of research - military and civilian - and their effects are pretty straightforward (none of the +/- % income/combat modifiers)
- Stability is gone, although if you DoW without a CB you'll still get punished (see above).
- Money costs for diplomatic action is gone, although you're limited to the number of defensive pacts, alliances and DoWs you can sign each turn. Apart from alliances and wars, trade and diplomacy is now role-play only.
- Unit upkeep costs per turn are gone.
- Combat modifiers from tech are gone, although your army/navy strength can still be modified by RNG in battle.
- Tech cost and unit costs have been reworked so that they get more expensive the more you have.
- There's more, but those are the main ones, IIRC.

There's already a cap on the number of attacks (= expansion points), though I'm still thinking whether we should put a cap on the number of armies or navies you can own to prevent someone from having 30+ armies (theoretically possible) and creating headaches for the GMs.

Spoiler full rules :
IOT Etiquette

We all seem to be civilized people, so let&#8217;s act it.
1. Do not flame, troll, or personally insult any other player OOC or IC. At all. You may comment on certain things negatively, but don't take it further than that.
2. Stay on topic. Make sure all comments are relevant to the fictional world of the current IOT and have nothing to do with your personal religious/political beliefs (spammers will be reported)
3. No powergaming. By definition, powergaming is making your country surpass every other country by all terms including armed forces, technology, etc. There was a problem with this in IOT I, but other than that I'm not sure there's been a problem with that.
4. Keep your actions realistic, and don't declare war on someone for a personal reason.
5. Above all else, RESPECT THY FELLOW FORUMERS.

Starting Out

The year is 1453. New inventions, new ideas, new conceptions about the world are gradually, but surely, transforming societies, and all over the world small states and tribes of the Medieval Era are consolidating themselves into new empires. They are strong, they are ambitious, and they are determined march to glory and greatness, letting nothing stands in their way, only stopping for kittens.

IOT is a turn-based game. Initially, a turn will translate to 4 years in real time. As the game progress, this may change. Update occurs roughly every 48 hours, or after all players have a chance to comment, whichever is earlier (so post, damn it!)

To start the game, first select your capital. From there, you can claim another nine territories. Your starting territories must be connected in some way, either by land or by viable sea routes. Note that in 1453 no one has the technology to cross oceans except for Zheng He and he&#8217;s not playing.

I don&#8217;t care if your country is inhabited by radioactive sultanas. In other words, feel free to inhabit your nation with whoever or whatever you want, provided it fits with the setting (any leader who tries to form the Soviet Union before Communism is invented will be regarded as a witch and appropriate measures will be taken.)

Expansion
Each turn, you can claim an additional six territories &#8211; they too must be connected in some way. If you must cross oceans from your capital to claim a territory, that territory is worth double the cost of a normal territory, ie two points.

Attacking also costs expansion point. The cost for attacking a territory is a flat fee of one XP point, meaning you can only attack a maximnum of six territories a turn.

Economy

For every territory you seize liberate, you get income. It&#8217;s not much &#8211; 1 gold per turn. This is your base income; it&#8217;s all you have at the beginning, and controlling territory is the main way you earn income. However, income can also be increased by technology - each civilian tech level increases base income by 1 (so each level is like another province).

Not that you&#8217;d want to, but income can be reduced if you make yourself hated in the world enough. Each nation that embargoes you decreases your income by 1%, and declaring war without a casus belli gets you 50% reduced income for the duration that you&#8217;re at war.

Income is generated every turn for each player and can be spent on your army, navy, or technology. You&#8217;ll lose money if you haven&#8217;t spend them by the end of the turn, but will get more next turn.

Technology

For the purpose of this game, all nations start on equal technological footing. That is, tech level one.

There are two areas of research: Military (army and navy related stuff) and Civilian (everything else). There are two areas of research: Civilian and Military. Each next level costs x100 times the level you are at (so if you&#8217;re at level 5 the next tech will cost 5x100 = 500 gold). You can research more than 1 level of tech a turn if you&#8217;re up to it.

Each level in civilian tech increases your base income by one, and each level in military tech increases the base strength of your navy and army by one. Additionally, the first one who reaches a level will decide exactly what this new technology/invention/idea is. You can go wild with this, although note that if you choose a tech >100 years before their actual historical date you will be penalized in weird and interesting ways.

Would be colonists take note: military level 5 activates ocean travel.

War and Diplomacy

Diplomacy can be conducted in the open in the thread or in private by VM, PM or social groups.

Most diplomatic actions don&#8217;t effect the game and are really just for RP but the following do. You are limited to signing one of these per turn, and you&#8217;ll have to let the GMs know when a treaty is signed:
- Defensive Pact
- Guarantee of Independence
- Joining Alliance
- Declaration of War

Going to War
To go to war without your population going OMGWTFBBQ, you need a good excuse. You get a casus belli if another nation has a different form of government, a different official religion (invalid if they have none), if you have a border dispute, if they declared war on your allies, if they embargo you, attempt to destabilize you or blockade you or deny you access to a sea or ocean tile. Without a casus belli, you suffer a -50% income loss for every turn you&#8217;re at war.

Units
Your main units are armies and fleets. These are physical entities on the map. Each one costs x100 times the number which you already own (so if you own 6 armies the next one costs 600 gold &#8211; the first army and fleet you build is free)

When you recruit an army or fleet, you choose where they start. Every turn, you may reposition all your units. Armies may move through up to 10 land territories in friendly territory (sea/oceans crossings are free), and only one may exist in a province. Fleets may be reposition anywhere you have ports or can access allied ports, and the number of fleets in a tile is unlimited.

The strength of your unit is equal to your military tech level. At level 5, the strength of each of your armies and navies is five, at level 8, it&#8217;s eight, and so on.

Land Battles
An attack will cost a flat fee of one expansion point. Any army may be used to attack a province as long as they can reach that province by land or sea. An attack count as a move by an army. You may have several armies attacking a single province.

The defenders has a number of advantages. First, a province when attacked is considered its own army, that is, it has a fort, with the strength of one army, which the attacker must overcome. Secondly, any armies adjacent to the province being attacked, if not being attacked itself, will also contribute to the total number of defending armies in the battle.

In battle, the strength of the army is modified by RNG, which adds between 0 to 50% to the strength of each respective sides for the hinge factor. The winner is the side with the greatest real strength (base strength + RNG modifier). The losing side loses any armies they have in the battle.

Naval Battles
An army may move across seas and oceans to attack a province (as long as that province can be reached by seas and oceans). However, while at sea if enemy fleets are in the area they can simply sink the transports and you&#8217;ll simply lose the army. So navies are important to make the seas safe for your glorious conquering land soldiers.

Naval battles are done similar to land battles, and the side with the greatest strength wins.

Housekeeping

Anti-Spam Measures:
Theoretically, there are no limits on the number of posts you can post each turn. However, IOT does get brought down by too much unnecessary content. Think quality of posts, not quantity: you're not getting Post Count, so no need to spam.

Your posts must follow the Etiquette and actually consist of something RELEVANT to your nation and not just one-liner comments, OT content, or spam. Do not quote the entire post. Only quote the relevant parts. It keeps the forum more readable. Also, don't respond to each relevant post individually; use multi-quote to avoid posting like 10 times in a row.

If you are acting inappropriately, you&#8217;ll get two warnings from the GMs. On your third infraction, we phone the actual mods. And ban you.

Leaving
Upon resigning from the game, you can distribute your territories to other players or just flat out make them unclaimed.

If you are just going to be taking a holiday, give us your orders, or ask someone else to do them for you. To avoid migraines, we cannot calculate it all, and will only go on what you give us. Otherwise, your country will be treated as an NPC until you return.

If you are not active for 5 days, or don't have anybody to give your orders, we will PM you that you need to post something - or tell someone else to - to stay in the game. If you don't respond, we will PM you again after 24 hours or so have passed, asking how you want your lands distributed, as you have become inactive and thus cannot continue to play. If we don't receive a reply within 24 hours, we will distribute your lands in a manner as fair as possible.

GMship
IOT is a monster even when kept in check. To ensure smooth operations and sanity for all, there are going to be several GMs.
[OOC: we&#8217;ll deal with the details later, but do you agree that this should be the case?]

For $1 a province, the tech cost is awfully high. :p

And I'm still in the dark on combat. I'd suggest using a dice type system - I.E:

- All units have an automatic defense of ten.
- Every tech adds one to that number.
- Occasionally random modifiers like weather and terrain MIGHT be applied by the combat GM. MIGHT.
- A D20 is rolled for each side every turn. A 1 is an auto-miss, a 20 is an auto-hit.
- To hit manually, your die roll and tech modifier(same as with the defense modifier) must beat the enemy defense rating.
- A battle ends when one side has taken a certain amount of hits - I was thinking 3 to keep battles easier to calculate, but does anyone have an opinion?
- Same rules for sea combat.
- The only person who really needs to know all this is the combat GM, a role I volunteer to fill.

I'd like to put this to a vote. I'm thinking something a bit simpler then Tailless' might be for the best. This lets nation's tech come into play and doesn't complicate the game too much.

I'd also suggest an adviser/great leader/whatever you want to call them mechanic. Like there's one that gives a naval modifier, one that gives a land modifier, one that gives an extra buck or so in income, one that decreases research costs - you get the idea. Players have to spend money to track them down, but the benefits might be worth it. Let's vote on that too, shall we?

And did we ever decide if the Native Americans were penalized?:confused:

Just a couple thoughts.

- Lighthearter
- Lighthearter

Like any rich person, we should multiply everything by 100.

Summary of the changes:
- the economic aspect has been stripped to the bare bones. As suggested by Joecoolyo, you'll only have income (not accumulative) you can spend each turn, and you'll lose the amount if you haven't invested them in anything (you can say you build a new palace with the spare cash or something, but it'd be RP only).
- Income can still be modified by tech (and this is in terms of base income rather than a %, so having tech level 5 is like having 5 additional territories). All income modifiers are gone save for a 50% penalty for declaring war without a casus belli.
- Research has been streamlined so that there are only two areas of research - military and civilian - and their effects are pretty straightforward (none of the +/- % income/combat modifiers)
- Stability is gone, although if you DoW without a CB you'll still get punished (see above).
- Money costs for diplomatic action is gone, although you're limited to the number of defensive pacts, alliances and DoWs you can sign each turn. Apart from alliances and wars, trade and diplomacy is now role-play only.
- Unit upkeep costs per turn are gone.
- Combat modifiers from tech are gone, although your army/navy strength can still be modified by RNG in battle.
- Tech cost and unit costs have been reworked so that they get more expensive the more you have.
- There's more, but those are the main ones, IIRC.

There's already a cap on the number of attacks (= expansion points), though I'm still thinking whether we should put a cap on the number of armies or navies you can own to prevent someone from having 30+ armies (theoretically possible) and creating headaches for the GMs.

Spoiler full rules :
IOT Etiquette

We all seem to be civilized people, so let’s act it.
1. Do not flame, troll, or personally insult any other player OOC or IC. At all. You may comment on certain things negatively, but don't take it further than that.
2. Stay on topic. Make sure all comments are relevant to the fictional world of the current IOT and have nothing to do with your personal religious/political beliefs (spammers will be reported)
3. No powergaming. By definition, powergaming is making your country surpass every other country by all terms including armed forces, technology, etc. There was a problem with this in IOT I, but other than that I'm not sure there's been a problem with that.
4. Keep your actions realistic, and don't declare war on someone for a personal reason.
5. Above all else, RESPECT THY FELLOW FORUMERS.

Starting Out

The year is 1453. New inventions, new ideas, new conceptions about the world are gradually, but surely, transforming societies, and all over the world small states and tribes of the Medieval Era are consolidating themselves into new empires. They are strong, they are ambitious, and they are determined march to glory and greatness, letting nothing stands in their way, only stopping for kittens.

IOT is a turn-based game. Initially, a turn will translate to 4 years in real time. As the game progress, this may change. Update occurs roughly every 48 hours, or after all players have a chance to comment, whichever is earlier (so post, damn it!)

To start the game, first select your capital. From there, you can claim another nine territories. Your starting territories must be connected in some way, either by land or by viable sea routes. Note that in 1453 no one has the technology to cross oceans except for Zheng He and he’s not playing.

I don’t care if your country is inhabited by radioactive sultanas. In other words, feel free to inhabit your nation with whoever or whatever you want, provided it fits with the setting (any leader who tries to form the Soviet Union before Communism is invented will be regarded as a witch and appropriate measures will be taken.)

Expansion
Each turn, you can claim an additional six territories – they too must be connected in some way. If you must cross oceans from your capital to claim a territory, that territory is worth double the cost of a normal territory, ie two points.

Attacking also costs expansion point. The cost for attacking a territory is a flat fee of one XP point, meaning you can only attack a maximnum of six territories a turn.

Economy

For every territory you seize liberate, you get income. It’s not much – 1 gold per turn. This is your base income; it’s all you have at the beginning, and controlling territory is the main way you earn income. However, income can also be increased by technology - each civilian tech level increases base income by 1 (so each level is like another province).

Not that you’d want to, but income can be reduced if you make yourself hated in the world enough. Each nation that embargoes you decreases your income by 1%, and declaring war without a casus belli gets you 50% reduced income for the duration that you’re at war.

Income is generated every turn for each player and can be spent on your army, navy, or technology. You’ll lose money if you haven’t spend them by the end of the turn, but will get more next turn.

Technology

For the purpose of this game, all nations start on equal technological footing. That is, tech level one.

There are two areas of research: Military (army and navy related stuff) and Civilian (everything else). There are two areas of research: Civilian and Military. Each next level costs x100 times the level you are at (so if you’re at level 5 the next tech will cost 5x100 = 500 gold). You can research more than 1 level of tech a turn if you’re up to it.

Each level in civilian tech increases your base income by one, and each level in military tech increases the base strength of your navy and army by one. Additionally, the first one who reaches a level will decide exactly what this new technology/invention/idea is. You can go wild with this, although note that if you choose a tech >100 years before their actual historical date you will be penalized in weird and interesting ways.

Would be colonists take note: military level 5 activates ocean travel.

War and Diplomacy

Diplomacy can be conducted in the open in the thread or in private by VM, PM or social groups.

Most diplomatic actions don’t effect the game and are really just for RP but the following do. You are limited to signing one of these per turn, and you’ll have to let the GMs know when a treaty is signed:
- Defensive Pact
- Guarantee of Independence
- Joining Alliance
- Declaration of War

Going to War
To go to war without your population going OMGWTFBBQ, you need a good excuse. You get a casus belli if another nation has a different form of government, a different official religion (invalid if they have none), if you have a border dispute, if they declared war on your allies, if they embargo you, attempt to destabilize you or blockade you or deny you access to a sea or ocean tile. Without a casus belli, you suffer a -50% income loss for every turn you’re at war.

Units
Your main units are armies and fleets. These are physical entities on the map. Each one costs x100 times the number which you already own (so if you own 6 armies the next one costs 600 gold – the first army and fleet you build is free)

When you recruit an army or fleet, you choose where they start. Every turn, you may reposition all your units. Armies may move through up to 10 land territories in friendly territory (sea/oceans crossings are free), and only one may exist in a province. Fleets may be reposition anywhere you have ports or can access allied ports, and the number of fleets in a tile is unlimited.

The strength of your unit is equal to your military tech level. At level 5, the strength of each of your armies and navies is five, at level 8, it’s eight, and so on.

Land Battles
An attack will cost a flat fee of one expansion point. Any army may be used to attack a province as long as they can reach that province by land or sea. An attack count as a move by an army. You may have several armies attacking a single province.

The defenders has a number of advantages. First, a province when attacked is considered its own army, that is, it has a fort, with the strength of one army, which the attacker must overcome. Secondly, any armies adjacent to the province being attacked, if not being attacked itself, will also contribute to the total number of defending armies in the battle.

In battle, the strength of the army is modified by RNG, which adds between 0 to 50% to the strength of each respective sides for the hinge factor. The winner is the side with the greatest real strength (base strength + RNG modifier). The losing side loses any armies they have in the battle.

Naval Battles
An army may move across seas and oceans to attack a province (as long as that province can be reached by seas and oceans). However, while at sea if enemy fleets are in the area they can simply sink the transports and you’ll simply lose the army. So navies are important to make the seas safe for your glorious conquering land soldiers.

Naval battles are done similar to land battles, and the side with the greatest strength wins.

Housekeeping

Anti-Spam Measures:
Theoretically, there are no limits on the number of posts you can post each turn. However, IOT does get brought down by too much unnecessary content. Think quality of posts, not quantity: you're not getting Post Count, so no need to spam.

Your posts must follow the Etiquette and actually consist of something RELEVANT to your nation and not just one-liner comments, OT content, or spam. Do not quote the entire post. Only quote the relevant parts. It keeps the forum more readable. Also, don't respond to each relevant post individually; use multi-quote to avoid posting like 10 times in a row.

If you are acting inappropriately, you’ll get two warnings from the GMs. On your third infraction, we phone the actual mods. And ban you.

Leaving
Upon resigning from the game, you can distribute your territories to other players or just flat out make them unclaimed.

If you are just going to be taking a holiday, give us your orders, or ask someone else to do them for you. To avoid migraines, we cannot calculate it all, and will only go on what you give us. Otherwise, your country will be treated as an NPC until you return.

If you are not active for 5 days, or don't have anybody to give your orders, we will PM you that you need to post something - or tell someone else to - to stay in the game. If you don't respond, we will PM you again after 24 hours or so have passed, asking how you want your lands distributed, as you have become inactive and thus cannot continue to play. If we don't receive a reply within 24 hours, we will distribute your lands in a manner as fair as possible.

GMship
IOT is a monster even when kept in check. To ensure smooth operations and sanity for all, there are going to be several GMs.
[OOC: we’ll deal with the details later, but do you agree that this should be the case?]

Sounds good! :goodjob:

The only one I really have a problem with is the taking away of unit costs, I still think they should be in, as 1) To make sure someone doesn't over expand their army, because if they do, they won't have any money to spend on other things, 2) It makes money/gold all the more valuable.

Other than that, I think you did a great job simplifying it without taking away some of it's depth. :thumbsup:

i still dont agree. take everything off. no economy no technology (the technology will be the GMs responsibility) no gold, nothing.

Then what was the point of all this? If we do that, we've just got an earlier version of IOT IV.

Economy and technology adds a huge layer of realism to the game. That way, people can't make ridiculously sized armies and time portals between IOTs. (Ahem :p)

And restricting people's posts didn't work either. Compromise does not include refusing everything, you know.

Top Bottom