Sid Domination Game for AnthonyIII

0-1990 BC wake settler and move it around. Turn luxury slider to 0%, since the furs will complete this turn. Change 002 to a warrior, and 005 and Xinjan to workers.

1-1950 BC Two cities complete workers and train more workers. Russia completes Temple of Artemis. Byzantines complete Great Lighthouse. Luxes up to 30% for 005. 004 worker moves to flood plains to irrigate it. Meet Babylon.

2-1910 BC Germans complete Museum of Mausollos. Move worker into Sumerian territory.

3-1870 BC 001 settler-settler. 005 worker-barracks. Worker moves further into Sumerian territory. Settler heads towards mountains in the east which we might just grab also.

4-1830 BC Found Chengdu. It starts on a worker. Move worker further into Sumerian territory. Worker roads cow, since mining won't do anything. Luxes down to 10%, I had gotten lazy on this.

5-1790 BC Germany boots us. Sumeria appears to want the spot in the east near the mountains, so we'll cede it to them. Road within Sumerian territory. Luxes off.

See previous notes for where to plant the current settlers. Settler the regular grassland, before the forest spot. Keep on roading up Sumerian territory until we have a trade route with them (and hopefully everyone else). Trade for a luxury as soon as we can, but don't disconnect anything, until we have 4 workers in place to rebuild the road. The warrior in the east can go to 001. We don't need anymore warriors. We might build granaries in cities after we have some more workers out. I don't think 005 can use a granary, since it'll only have 7 productive tiles.

Attachments

• Mao of the Chinese, 1790 BC.SAV
    136.7 KB · Views: 164
Hmm. OK, yes. So I should've moved worker 1 there and then moved mover 2 to a square already roaded, but without any irrigation/mine so he could start on that? I guess if I moved worker 2 to a different non-roaded square we would also waste two turns in movement? Anyway, noted and won't make a habit of it.

Ohh, I thought the Sid-AI would already had connected Bad-titbira to it's road network. (Looking back I could have easily seen that Bad-tibira was not connected, oh well.) Sorry about that. Yes, sounds like a plan - let's get to 10 cities! :) Do we go workers-improve all tiles in core-barracks-horsemen after that? I hope we have iron.

EDIT: We cross-posted and I see you're already startting a barracks! Nice. Will do as you advise and play now.

0-1790BC: Look around.

1-1740BC: Worker finished in 002. Move on square to reg G in front og 002. The Sumerians start The Hanging Gardens. Advisor tells me that Germany is the most advanced nation of the world! Followed by Byzantines, Greece, Russia, Babylon, Sumeria, Korea and the forgotten Chinese. MOve settler to reg G close to whale. Worker done roading cow outside 005. You said "since mining don't do anything" - should I not mine it? Move to BG next to cow. Eastern warrior towards 001.

2-1725BC: Sumerian archer is close to 005. Settler finished. Head towards 9-6. Worker roads BG. See that I forgot to rename other cities to that, and then 008 is founded next to whale. Worker between 006 and 008 starts mining as he's finished roading. Worker outside 004 finished impriving Flood Plain. Can either go to BG behind 004 or connect 004 to our road network. I choose the latter. Worker inside Sumerian borders continue to move and road. Can't see the capital yet. Worker outside 005 starts mine on BG. Our western warrior can't really go any further as we're getting booted by Otto all the time... Not sure what to do with him. Worker mine reg G outside 003. Worker mine reg G outside 002.

3-1700BC: Settler move to place. Worker starts road to connect 007 and 006. Worker inside Sumeria roads. Western warrior moves into Greece. Maybe he can go north. Korea is the only civ we have not met yet. Lux up to 20% for 003.

4-1675BC: Found 009. Worker mine outside 008.

5-1650BC: Granary finished in 003 - barracks. Worker finished in 004 - worker. Worker finished in 006 - worker. 006 worker moves to mining spot in front of 006, help other worker with mine - finishes. Move original worker to roaded reg G in front of 008, mine. 004 worker to BG behind 004. Road connection worker 1 north to road and then 007 and 006 will be connected. Warrior move.

Uploaded two saves in case my last worker moves were a bit dodgy. Other than that I think we are doing pretty good. We have fairly good land for our cities, will reach 10 cities and we're still alive! Still I'm guessing it's pretty vital that we get the disconnect-reconnect up pretty soon? On average, around what time do you usually get the D-R going?

Attachments

• Mao of the Chinese, 1675 BC.SAV
    147.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Mao of the Chinese, 1650 BC.SAV
    152 KB · Views: 140
AnthonyIII said:
So I should've moved worker 1 there and then moved mover 2 to a square already roaded, but without any irrigation/mine so he could start on that? I guess if I moved worker 2 to a different non-roaded square we would also waste two turns in movement?

You could have done the first thing. Every square gets roaded, so you aren't wasting turns by moving two workers to two different squares.

AnthonyIII said:
Do we go workers-improve all tiles in core-barracks-horsemen after that? I hope we have iron.

It'd work out better, in my opinion, to go (aqueducts)-markets-barracks-horses. But, this isn't always feasible... we'll have to wait and see on that one. If a city puts in a barracks, and we don't have horses by that point, it can put out a spear. We will need some defensive units (though hopefully not many).

AnthonyIII said:
You said "since mining don't do anything" - should I not mine it?

Sorry, I meant that mining it won't do anything to it right now. Once it has more shields per turn, mining will do something to it.

AnthonyIII said:
Granary finished in 003 - barracks.

A city which builds a granary generally comes as the best place to put out workers or settlers. That said, 003 might work out well for the FP.

Umm... the granary hasn't finished in 003... it will finish.

0-1675 BC We don't need anymore warriors, so all those builds get swapped for something else. Mostly workers, but a temple in 002. Start FP pre-build in 009. At least I think it's on a river, and doesn't need an aqueduct.

1-1650 BC 003 granary-worker. 004 worker-temple. 006 worker-temple. We're playing for domination, so we may as well put in temples in these spots (and 006 can grab flood plains with one). Move worker and see Sumeria has two sources of ivory, now if they just don't trade it away. Unfortuantely, Umma doesn't look connected to their capital. Swap 009 to grassland cow.

2-1625 BC 001 settler-worker (and workers for a good long time here to develop land and grow our cities). 005 barracks-temple. Actually, we should have put the temple in first, but oh well. Start some chopping and develop flood plains.

3-1600 BC Russia offers us Mysticism for 160 gold, and I decline. 003 worker-worker. Plant 010. It doesn't need a temple, even though it's on the borders, so start on a granary. If it flips, it flips. Change 008 to a settler. We might manage an 11th city on the hill south of Kisurra.

4-1575 BC Road near Umma completes. Mine grassland cow near 005. Luxes off.

5-1550 BC 007 worker-granary. Move worker to south of Umma.

The worker between 009 and 001 should mine, and then go somewhere else (no road here). The next batch of workers should stay near 001 and develop around there, probably roading first.

Attachments

• Mao of the Chinese, 1550 BC.SAV
    162.1 KB · Views: 160
Aha, I understand you know, regarding the workers. Wow, aqueducts? Nice. But since our cities are so close, will they even grow to size 7 because they might struggle to get enough tiles to work? Yes, thought about bulding a settler in 003 but I thought we were almost done settling for now (10 cities)so might as well have 001 pop out the last one. Granary is finished in 1650BC, at least in my save. Did I play a turn too much? Nice set, Spoonwood. I'm off to bed-will catch up on this tomorrow and hopefully manage a few more sets than today!

AnthonyIII said:
Still I'm guessing it's pretty vital that we get the disconnect-reconnect up pretty soon? On average, around what time do you usually get the D-R going?

It'll definitely help with the AI attitudes. Greece, Babylon, and Germany all have extra luxuries still, so we're fine. Even if no one has one for us, there's a way to at least guess who the extra luxuries has gotten traded to using the F4 screen (once we have embassies up). Who knows if Sumeria will trade away their extra ivory also? The worst case scenario comes as a sneak-attack from Sumeria. The second worse case would come as no luxuries available even with trading routes to all the AIs. In such a case, we buy Alphabet, Writing, and embassies. Then we find the farthest neighbor who imports a luxury from someone else. We declare on them, sign a military alliance with the tribe we think exports the luxury who comes closer to us and lies between the AI we declare on and us, and obtain the luxury that way. It's still early, and when I can first trade for a luxury varies from game to game.

A city only needs 6, 2 food tiles to get to size 7. So, yes they will get to size 7, though admittedly not all of them might make it size 12.

Hah, I love your routine, I would never had thought of the false war... I also almost never build aqueducts in my game, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they will work for us. Playing now.

0-1550BC: Look around, hit enter. Can I just ask, does the SID-AI get any growth bonus for their cities as well? Seems like Bad-tibia has hit size 9 really fast...

1-1525BC: Forst harvested, 10 shields to 006. Booted by Theodora. 001 produces worker, starts worker. Hmm... babylon is bulding the SoZ. They have ivory. Ur completes The Hanging Gardens. Our advisoir tells us we're the richest in the world, yay! Babylon is the poorest. Worker in 001 goes to reg G west to mine. Worker outside 003 mine. Worker on BG outside 008 roads. Flood plain outside 009 gets roaded. Worker roads inside Sumerian borders. F3 tells me that Sumeria, Russia and germany are already monarchies.

2: 1500BC: Our cultural borders expand. Worker finish mine outside 002, road. Worker between 009 and 003 mine. Worker outside 003 mine. Worker outside 007 goes to new flood plain. Worker mine outside 001, warrior scout. Lux up to 20%, because of 005.

3-1475BC: 001-worker-worker. Goes to reg G on second ring of tiles outside 001. Cow is mined outside 005. Goes to reg G. Flood plain outside 010 finished irrigated, gets roaded. Worker irrigate Floop plain outside 007. Another flood plain outside 007 also gets irrgated. Worker to BG outside 004. Umma gets WLTK fireworks. Sumeria now has 0 ivory and Russia and Sumeria are building SoZ! Hmm... I checked every turn If they had hooked up ivory. They must have traded it the second it got hooked up.

4-1450BC: Worker to reg G outside 006. Worker to reg G behind 009. Worker road reg G between 005 and 001. Worker road reg G in second ring of tiles outside 001. Worker mine outside 004. Warrior scouts.

5 1425BC: 001 worker-worker. See Byzantine dromon. Worker mine BG outside 010. Worker roads reg G outside 006. Worker mine outside 009. Decide to stop, there are three workers waiting to be assigned, I want you to do that so i can see what you think is best for them. i honestly don't know, and I'm a little afraid I will waste turn movements again.

I went back to check my older saves regarding the ivory. In 1500 BC we could not trade (text greyed out) and they had no ivory. In 1475BC we could trade, but ivory is 0. I guess they're trading it to Russia.

Attachments

• Mao of the Chinese, 1425 BC.SAV
    179.1 KB · Views: 131
Republic
A.k.a.: Repo
For republics big enough to support their military; fighting short succesful wars. Long wars will cost you to keep your population happy.
Most popular government because of the commerce bonus, the low WW and because there's less corruption than under Monarchy and Despotism.

Worker Efficiency: 100%
Hurry Method: Pay citizens
Corruption: Nuisance
War Weariness: Low
Draft Rate: 1
Military Police Limit: 0
Unit Support Town/City/Metro: 1/3/4
Notes: Military over the cap cost 2 gpt.
Adds 1 commerce to any tile already producing at least 1 = the commerce bonus.

Source As I recall the civilopedia says the same thing.

Wrong thread? Was this for the Feudalism-thread in the General Discussions? Anyhow, I plan to start up a Demigod-game using what I've learnt so far. It's actually quite a lot.

AnthonyIII said:
Can I just ask, does the SID-AI get any growth bonus for their cities as well?

The production bonus applies both to food and shield production. So, instead of needing 20 shields (at Regent or for the human player) a Sid AI needs a mere 8 shields to grow from size 1-7.

Notice where you roaded inside Sumerian territory and wonder why you roaded there. We can trade with Russia (they have 0 spices, not non-existent spices), so we don't (at present at least, if the AIs declare on each other and start pillaging things might change) need a road to Russia. We really want some road to Greece, Babylon, and Germany.

0-1425 BC Worker on mined regular grassland roads square. Road a square before leaving it. Worker between 010 and 003 goes to forest on river to chop it. Worker from 001 goes to unroaded plains. I don't like the AI attitudes at this point, so I gift Sumeria, Russia, and the Byzantines 100 gold each. I let Germany stay annoyed with us... she's too far away I think. Check to see what our lump sum of 165 will do for Alphabet. It's not quite enough yet. The Wheel and Iron Working cost a little too much also. Maybe we should have done a 50 turn run on one of these techs, but it's a little late for that now in my opinion, and I haven't had to do it before.

1-1400 BC 003 settler-worker. Purchase The Wheel from Sumeria for 168 gold. We do have horses. Sumeria, Russia, The Byzantines, and Germany don't lack horses (we don't have 0 horses that we could supply to them with a trade route in place). Greece and Babylon do lack horses. Send warrior over to potentially pillage horses. We won't disconnect the horses next turn, just the trade route from the capital. So, I only need to have two workers ready to go, but in case we can start things up on the turn after that, 3 workers get sent, with the 4th coming out of 001 in a turn. Worker near Agade goes south to see if Sumeria has hooked up that gems (4 luxes for an AI seems uncommon to me, and Sumeria will have a 5th). Actually, I don't like planting a city on the hill at the moment, since Kisurra's borders have expanded, so the settler will just scout or something for a while until later on in the game. Put 003 temporarily on Palace to block chops from going to it.

2-1375 BC Pillage the trade route next to the capital. Hit F4. Notice that we can still trade with Sumeria. See the 6 spot still connected:

Spoonwood said:
The worker between 009 and 001 should mine, and then go somewhere else (no road here).

Now we'll get to rebuild that mine, and spend time moving in and out of that square. That's a whole 6 industrious worker turns. Edit: that's 8 industrious worker turns since time got spent building that road in the first place. Oh well... we're not in a rush, and the later the game goes, the more you'll potentially learn I guess :).

In the following screenshot I've marked off the 8 spots with Xs which can NEVER have roads for this to work:

I pillage that road and ring everyone up in the F4 screen. Sumeria has extra horses, as does Russia. I send one of the warriors near 001 to go and pillage our horses. The warrior that pillaged the extra road will go to the 001 pillaging spot. I have no idea how we don't have a road from the 3 spot of 006. Scouting with the worker in Sumerian territory it seems they do have a road on the mountain there, but I don't know if they have that road connected to anything else.

3-1350 BC Babylon starts the Great Library. Sumeria has Ivory and Silks, while Russia has Spices. So, there's no need to pillage our horses. Check 003 and see that if the Palace swaps to a worker it'll complete in 1 turn. So, I wake a worker chopping a forest which would have completed, and swap to a worker, and then restart the chop (i. e. I could have timed things better), and swap 003 to a worker.

Change all citizens to tax collectors and temporarily set taxes to 100% (luxuries and science both to 0%). Ring up Russia, they won't give us 1 gpt for 50 gold. Ring up Sumeria, they will give us 2 gpt, but not 3 gpt for 50 gold. The rate at this aggression level comes as 1 gpt for 18 gold, so they'll give us 2 gpt for 36 gold. But, first before I do that, I check and see what the advisor says about various gpt amounts. At 23 gpt we have a "never accept this deal". At 22 gpt, we have a "would be insulted by this deal". So, Sumeria has 22 extra gpt. So, the deals go as follows:

1. Trade 36 gold for 2 gpt from Sumeria.

2. Trade 41 gpt to Sumeria for Silks and 570 gold. Now, we know Sumeria still has 20 more gpt if we didn't supply them with any cash for luxuries, and I don't recommend going below that.

3. Trade 360 gold for 20 gpt from Sumeria.

4. Trade 28 gpt for Ivory and 360 gold this turn, as we can't obtain any techs.

5. Then the road gets cut. I reassign all citizens to tiles (we won't have any need to use tax collectors like this later on). We now have 48 gpt at 100% taxes.

6. Ring up Russia and give them 8 gpt for Spices.

7. Ring up Sumeria and trade 17 gpt for both ivory and silks.

And here's something I find a bit peculiar, though I've known about it for a while. I hit F1 and we still have unhappy citizens. So, I bump the luxury slider up a notch and then back down a notch to reset the citizens to what they look like with the new luxuries online. Unfortunately, 009 doesn't have a road to it at the moment, so we'll need to chop and then road there. Luxes at 20% just for this city.

Warrior moves back in 001. I start sending the worker in Sumerian territory home.

4-1325 Sumeria boots us. 003 worker-palace pre-build on a worker. Greeks, Germans, Russians, Sumerians all start The Great Library, and Sumeria completes the Statue of Zeus in Ur. We have a VERY tough neighbor. Move worker 8-8 from 003 to chop and then road the cleared grassland square. Move 4 workers and 2 warriors to the spot.

1. Pillage the road.

2. Change all citizens to tax collectors (step becomes unnecessary almost always once we become a Republic).

3. Rebuild road.

4. 378 gold to Sumeria for 21 gpt.

5. 9 gpt for Spices and 10 gold from Russia.

6. Ivory, worker, 413 gold, Alphabet, Iron Working, and Mysticism for 68 gpt from Sumeria. I left out Horseback Riding, which with 91 gpt still available I could have gotten in this deal. It doesn't come as a pre-requisite to anything, so if we have enough gpt, since Sumeria has another luxury we might pick up something like Writing this turn also. Then again, 23 gpt doesn't sound like enough. Also, delaying it can also enable you to put out chariots for chariot upgrades to riders or potentially horses. But, I generally haven't done this, as you'd have to delay getting Engineering this way.

7. We have an iron source. We'll want 4 workers and 1 warrior here later on. This does lie in one of the squares I blacked out in the screenshot above, but we'll just cut this road everyturn (which we'd do anyways for a while at least). We can't get any of the newly available techs this turn, so for silks and horseback riding, I trade 23 gpt (that's more than needed... generally try and haggle until you understand why haggling wouldn't do anything in this case).

8. The road is cut and re-built.

9. Citizens go back to work.

10. Spices from Russia for 8 gpt. Ivory and Silks for 17 gpt from Sumeria (these numbers will go up in time). Luxes to 40%. Build road in odd spot not inside Sumerian territory yet for kicks. Start bringing warrior home. We could have disbanded it, but he might come in useful later on. You'll see why Kisurra got planted where it did.

5-1300 BC Babylonains start/restart Great Library, and Russia and Sumeria do also. I don't understand MapStat sometimes. It tells me we can now trade Gems with Greece, except we can't! Some workers in tiles that won't have the ability to get worked by citizens for a bit road first instead of mining.

1. Cut the trade route.

2. Taxes to 100%, all citizens to tax collectors.

3. The road gets re-built.

4. No more gpt available from Russia or Sumeria.

5. Ivory, 29 gold, Writing, and Mathematics from Sumeria for 40 gpt. I leave Polytheism off, since getting other techs would come as more valuable. Sumeria and Greece have Currency, no one else does. Literature isn't know by Theodora. No one is running a Republic. Silks and Currency from Sumeria for 51 gpt.

6. Trade Currency to Babylon for 2 gpt, 98 gold, Code of Laws, and Literature.

7. Trade Literature and Currency to the Byzantines for Philosophy and Map Making. The Byzantines have The Republic. No one else does.

8. Trade Currency for Polytheism from Greece.

9. Gift Russia Currency (them building markets sooner rather than later makes for a good idea!).

10. Pillage with the warrior.

11. Reassign citizens to tiles.

12. I reconnect the road.

13. 8 gpt to Russia for Spices. 17 gpt to Sumeria for Ivory and Silks. Luxes back to 40%.

So that a chop comes as better times, I actually decide on roading a forest (exceptional case!) near 009. Move worker to marsh to start clearing it. Mine hill on one of the black cross spots.

Oh... and I do this:

Actually, that's not the order I built the embassies in. It went Athens-Babylon, Berlin, Moscow, Constantinope, Ur.

Take your time with everything. Once we acquire Construction, we can gift the AIs into the middle ages and use the disconnect-reconnect to obtain all first level techs (and hopefully Republic soon enough). If we can't get a tech even with all tax collectors (probably will happen with The Republic, it's very expensive), don't sweat it. We'll slowly pick up more gpt from the AIs, and from our cities. Once we've traded for The Republic, make sure we have all the luxuries we can before ending the turn, and then revolt. And remember... do NOT build any roads in the 7 crossed squares without iron. Also, we don't really need to build any roads on the iron hill until we have Chivalry.

Attachments

• Mao of the Chinese, 1300 BC.SAV
    190.9 KB · Views: 130
Wrong thread? Was this for the Feudalism-thread in the General Discussions? Anyhow, I plan to start up a Demigod-game using what I've learnt so far. It's actually quite a lot.

No, I meant that here. See the part about unit support? That's part of the reason why you want aqueducts in a Republic. Oh... and note that at Demigod, I think the disconnect-reconnect might come as something of a crutch. If you pick the right techs, and have good enough of a start, you can usually get to Philosophy first, and later on just sell techs for gpt. You have more workers to develop things also. Good luck with your game!

Thanks, Spoonwood. I'll study your post before I play. creamcheese: I'm currently enjoying a girlfriend free holiday and the weather is too bad to go out, so that means Civ3 all the way! ;)

Thanks, Spoonwood. I'll study your post before I play. creamcheese: I'm currently enjoying a girlfriend free holiday and the weather is too bad to go out, so that means Civ3 all the way! ;)

lurker's comment: My weather is lovely and my girlfriend just got in today :lol:. Limited civ for me.

:lol:, enjoy creamcheese!

Alright. Back on topic. First off, I can't believe I roaded that square behind 001. My mind must have stopped working for a second... Won't happen again. Very nicely played, Spoonwood! Things look much better now. :) And I must say, wow, I've never seen an AI captial like Ur... It's actually got the production of Constantinople, Moscow, Babylon and Athens put together! Or at least theese 4 have 33 in production, Ur has 31. Strong neighbour indeed. I'm glad we have our own iron and horses. Will play now and keep my concentration.

Kibitzer:

"Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyIII
Spoonwood
The production bonus applies both to food and shield production. So, instead of needing 20 shields (at Regent or for the human player) a Sid AI needs a mere 8 shields to grow from size 1-7."

Am I getting senile here or missing something (would not be the first time)? Shields should not impact growth, only food right?

Were you refering to making settlers as those are cheaper because of the bonus?

Am I getting senile here or missing something (would not be the first time)? Shields should not impact growth, only food right?

lurker's comment: No you aren't senile yet Vxma, he should have said food and not shields. But the same numbers still apply. The bonus is to growth (food needed to grow) as well as shields needed to build something.

Kibitzer:

"Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyIII
Spoonwood
The production bonus applies both to food and shield production. So, instead of needing 20 shields (at Regent or for the human player) a Sid AI needs a mere 8 shields to grow from size 1-7."

Creamcheese is correct in that you aren't getting senile. However, the bonus doesn't apply to shields NOR does it apply to food. There is no bonus in terms of food or shields produced. It applies to the number of food need to grow, and the number of shields needed to produce something. In other words, it's not really a bonus... discount makes for a better term. The AIs have a 40% discount on growing (see below), and a 40% discount on production of units and buildings.

If this isn't clear to anyone, see the screenshots provided by the embassies. Babylon produces 4 shields, just like it would produce for us if we had it at that size with that tile selection. It produces 18 total food, just as we would get. However, the boxes for growth (OR STARVATION) and unit/building production differ from ours.

Top Bottom