• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
PeteAtoms said:
I'm trying to find a song that is kind of stuck in my head. Hopefully my vague details will be able to help.

It is not a modern song. I can't tell what decade it's from, but definitely before the 90's.
It doesn't have a lot of lyrics, I can only remember one line (it may be the only lyrics, AFAIK).
I can't make it out, but it sounds like one of these:

"On the way"
"On da way"
"On my way"
"All the way"
"All da way"
"All the day"

Sorry if that doesn't help, lol. I think the main melody is whistled a few times. It is kind of an upbeat song and the singer sounds like a baritone or bass.

I also associate it with some children's movie(s) that I watched when I was younger. It usually plays during traveling montages.

Link to video.

I live about 10 minutes away from the North York Moors. They are areas that have been designated unavailable for building or town expansion so they are unlikely to become suburbs. I think the thought of them becoming suburbs is the American misconception that England is one big city; we are bigger than you think. ;)

I've been to these places personally. That last one reminds me of Skyrim. :lol:

Those are pretty. :)

Well put, say1988.

Has it ever happened in OT that someone posted something so good in a debate thread that nobody else coul;d think of anything to say and then the thread stopped posting?

No one on CFC is that good at debating. Most debates I've seen usually boil down to "*insert generic borderline troll comment here* :rolleyes:"

It's not about how good somebody is at debating. There's always some barely-literate knucklehead who can't grasp how completely he's been demolished.

More people just get stuck on tossing questionable pseudo-logic back and forth when they haven't managed to agree on basic premises - usually resulting from a difference in value judgement.

Is there a proper name for getting sick of political threads on this site?

I was going to say normal :lol:

So here we have a young earth creationist claiming I can't be sre of something because I didn't see it with my own eyes :rotfl: Yet he assumes the historical accuracy of the bible - even when it is demonstrably wrong. Irony! Not just for breakfast anymore!

Geology shows that there was not a global flood. There have indeed been regional floods, some of them on a massive scale. Lake Missoula, for instance.

If you're really interested, there is plenty of stuff on the Internet that can acquaint you with the basics of geology - how we come to learn about the history of the earth.

This is so far OT, so I am dragging it to this thread, but can any one explain where all the ice went also? BTW, I never said I was sure or not sure. Since when does asking a question demonstrate 100% not being sure? I would hate for a good lawyer to defend me, if he never asked any questions. As far as I can tell Jolly Roger cannot read every one's mind.

Possibly into those little things called "oceans" as water when it melted.

That might explain how Poland is in North Africa. I meant really explain it, not just say the oceans. I suspected that it ended up in the oceans, but with all that ice would we not see more evidence of human Civ further offshore or buried at sea? I guess I should have been a little clearer?

I suspected that it ended up in the oceans, but with all that ice would we not see more evidence of human Civ further offshore or buried at sea?
People weren't building in stone during the ice ages. Basically all of the stuff they would've left would be archaeologically invisible underwater.

That might explain how Poland is in North Africa. I meant really explain it, not just say the oceans. I suspected that it ended up in the oceans, but with all that ice would we not see more evidence of human Civ further offshore or buried at sea? I guess I should have been a little clearer?

People weren't building in stone during the ice ages. Basically all of the stuff they would've left would be archaeologically invisible underwater.

From the BBC a month ago - Hidden Doggerland underworld uncovered in North Sea

Auntie said:
A huge area of land which was swallowed up into the North Sea thousands of years ago has been recreated and put on display by scientists.

Doggerland was an area between Northern Scotland, Denmark and the Channel Islands.

It was believed to have been home to tens of thousands of people before it disappeared underwater.

Now its history has been pieced together by artefacts recovered from the seabed and displayed in London.

The 15-year-project has involved St Andrews, Dundee and Aberdeen universities.

The results are on display at the Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition in London until 8 July.

The story behind Doggerland, a land that was slowly submerged by water between 18,000 BC and 5,500 BC, has been organised by Dr Richard Bates at St Andrews University.

Dr Bates, a geophysicist, said "Doggerland was the real heartland of Europe until sea levels rose to give us the UK coastline of today.

"We have speculated for years on the lost land's existence from bones dredged by fishermen all over the North Sea, but it's only since working with oil companies in the last few years that we have been able to re-create what this lost land looked like.

For further reading see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland

Mammoth, Lion, tools and weapon remains recovered. So say St Andrews University, The Royal Society, Big Oil, the BBC and the almighty wiki.

EDIT - Half hour cross post? The curse of falling into the wiki-pit strikes again.

Ice melted. Flowed through river systems into oceans. Just like when snow melts every spring.

As for evidence of people:
1) There is, the place noted above in the North Sea, there are also cave paintings in France where the entrance was since submerged following the ice age, for example
2) There isn't a lot because there were only hunter-gatherer societies back then, so they won't be leaving towns. In addition the human population was relatively small (and only a small portion of that would be flooded, then only part preserved, and it is likely a significnat portion of that hasn't been discovered) so you would't expect a lot to be found.
3) For the most part it would have been a gradual process that saw the seas slowly creeping inland over years, allowing nomadic people to just pick up and walk a short distance inland. Not some great wall of water suddenly appearing and crushing everything.

Thanks everone!

Were there any female deities in either Greek or Roman mythologies that could have been considered a female counterpart or version of Zeus/Jupiter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom