unit_32.pcx and patch 1.21f

HomeAir

Warlord
I have added units like always to the new patch (1.21f). Now the big question. Do the last eight icons still have to be in the last 8 spots on the units_32.pcx? I currently have them that way, but some units (worker, army and settler; at least that is what I have noticed) are incorrect graphics. I triple checked myself to make sure that all were there and in the correct order, which they are so I am stumped.

Yes, those icons still have to be the last 8, and the number of icons between the privateer and the last 8 must correspond to the number of units you've added. The difference now is that you can have as many icons as you want, but those last 8 are still hard-coded.

Originally posted by sealman
Does this mean that if I add a unit, and use an existing pcx icon, I still have to move the last 8 over one?

For example: I add in the Bismark Class Battleship and plan on using the old BB icon for que building purposes. Do I still need to move the last 8 over?

Yes, you still have to.

Originally posted by sealman

wonder if this is why I keep crashing :p

No, the icons not being moved over does not cause the game to crash. It only affects the appearance of the icons in the game. You don't actually HAVE to move those icons over for the game to be playable; you have to move them over if you want the right icons displayed.

I've added some units in ver 1.21 and the game still crashes. Other than civpedia and pediaicons txt files what else crashes it?

Not having a folder with the exact same name as your unit, and an "ini" file in that folder with the same name as well, will crash the game.

Dont mean to throw a monkey wrench in the machinery here . When I tried using a units_32.pcx with more slots than the origanal it causes my game to crash every time even with 1.21f patch. I was led to belive in other forums that this should not be the case.

Mein zwei pfennig :)

I have this problem with the modern units (army, settler, and worker). I added six units so the images that are showing up for these respectively are modern bomber, first great leader and 2nd great leader. Which would leave them in the normal 6th, 7th and 8th spots normally (without adding any units). This is what makes me question whether they should be moved or not. It only seems to be with the modern units but I wasn't really paying attention before that or I didn't get any armies.

I don't armies that often so I really didn't noticed but as soon as I hit the modern era and saw the settler and worker screwed up, it caught my attention in a hurry.

Originally posted by TR_Emrys
Dont mean to throw a monkey wrench in the machinery here . When I tried using a units_32.pcx with more slots than the origanal it causes my game to crash every time even with 1.21f patch. I was led to belive in other forums that this should not be the case.

Mein zwei pfennig :)

I use a units_32.pcx with more rows of icon spaces added, and it works fine. I don't know what your particular problem could be. Some simple copying and pasting with Paint Shop Pro should be fine if you want to add more rows. The 1.21f patch was supposed to have fixed it so you can have as many icon spaces in that file as you want.

Originally posted by HomeAir
I have this problem with the modern units (army, settler, and worker). I added six units so the images that are showing up for these respectively are modern bomber, first great leader and 2nd great leader. Which would leave them in the normal 6th, 7th and 8th spots normally (without adding any units). This is what makes me question whether they should be moved or not. It only seems to be with the modern units but I wasn't really paying attention before that or I didn't get any armies.

I don't armies that often so I really didn't noticed but as soon as I hit the modern era and saw the settler and worker screwed up, it caught my attention in a hurry.

That is the problem that people usually have when they add units but don't edit the units_32 file. If the icons are not being displayed correctly in your game, it's because the number of boxes in between the privateer and the great leader icon (the first of the last 8) does not correspond with the number of units you've added. So if you added six units, the last 8 icons have to be moved over six spaces so that there are six boxes between the privateer and the great leader. You don't even have to put any new icons in - you could have six blank boxes (with just the purple background) in there and the modern workers/leaders etc. should still display correctly.

BTW an easy way to check if your icons will display correctly is to make a scenario that starts in the modern age, so you don't have to play all the way through to see if the icons will look right or not.

Here's an example:

Say I added four units to the game. I now have to move the last eight icons four spaces, so that there are four spaces in between the privateer and the last eight. In those four spaces, I can add custom icons, copy and paste existing ones into those spaces, or simply leave the spaces blank. (making sure they still have that purple background; I'm not sure if there'd be problems if the background wasn't there). Also note that I added a couple of extra rows for future expansion. Supposedly with the new patch, you can have as many rows in there as you need.

Is it possible to have, say, 10 empty spaces between the privateer and the "last 8", and at the same time only to have included, e.g. 3 custom units (and not have any crashes :D ) in your game with the new patch? I.e. to have extra "building blocks" for future inclusion of units in one's game?

If this is the case can someone please post a units_32.pcx files with approx. 12 empty slots before the last 8?

And what exactly does the units_32 do? And is it a multilayered file?

I've downloaded the InfranView 3.61, but I'm not really confident enough - yet - to start editing the units_32 myself.....mayby someone has a suggetion for a better tool, and a simple "how to" description/guide?

A lot of Qs, I guess :) - hoping for some answers - thanx,

A dedicated fanatic

Originally posted by TedG
If the icons are not being displayed correctly in your game, it's because the number of boxes in between the privateer and the great leader icon (the first of the last 8) does not correspond with the number of units you've added. So if you added six units, the last 8 icons have to be moved over six spaces so that there are six boxes between the privateer and the great leader.

This is what I have, that is why I am completely stumped. The only thing that I have changed from adding in 1.17 and 1.21 is that I used the hacked editor to add units instead of the CopyTool. Perhaps that is the problem. Maybe the hacked editor isn't registering the units when they are added.

Originally posted by Insomniac
Is it possible to have, say, 10 empty spaces between the privateer and the "last 8", and at the same time only to have included, e.g. 3 custom units (and not have any crashes :D ) in your game with the new patch? I.e. to have extra "building blocks" for future inclusion of units in one's game?

If this is the case can someone please post a units_32.pcx files with approx. 12 empty slots before the last 8?

And what exactly does the units_32 do? And is it a multilayered file?

I've downloaded the InfranView 3.61, but I'm not really confident enough - yet - to start editing the units_32 myself.....mayby someone has a suggetion for a better tool, and a simple "how to" description/guide?

A lot of Qs, I guess :) - hoping for some answers - thanx,

A dedicated fanatic

Yes, it's possible, but the icons won't display correctly in the modern ages.

The units_32 is for the icons in the city build menu etc. It's not a multilayered file.

You should use Paint Shop Pro to edit it.

Originally posted by HomeAir

This is what I have, that is why I am completely stumped. The only thing that I have changed from adding in 1.17 and 1.21 is that I used the hacked editor to add units instead of the CopyTool. Perhaps that is the problem. Maybe the hacked editor isn't registering the units when they are added.

Hmm, when I get home, I'll look into that.:)

Upon further investigation...

With the 1.21f patch you do NOT need to move the eight icons - you can just add your custom icons after them. In fact, you should not move those eight because then they will be screwed up when you get to the modern ages.

If you're using version 1.17f or earlier, the previous rules regarding the era-specific icons still apply.

Here is a units_32.pcx with a bunch of extra rows added, if you want it. I've tried it and it does not crash the game.:D

Top Bottom